Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i have a das keyboard 4 i think? it has as ruler on it and a spinny volume control

i'm thinking about buying a matias quiet pro, has anyone used one? http://matias.ca/quietpro/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

that's totally just a cash register keyboard with different keycaps

right?

I think it is a cash register keyboard. it has a receipt key ffs

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

no you don't

you want a USB stereo 24bit/192kHz DAC with tube amplifier to plug your headphones into

then you can choose the best possible mechanical keyboard without compromising either keyboard or audio quality

as ridiculous as tube DACs are I do think they're nifty looking and kind of want one for my desk at work

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

are there any quiet mechanical keyboards other than Matias's? i really shouldn't be buying things like that but I miss having a mechanical keyboard at work. I just don't hate my coworkers enough to bring in my keyboard with Cherry MX Blues or my ancient Apple with Alps sliders

plus the apple doesn't have NKRO as far as I can tell and I typo on it constantly

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

error1 posted:

Another guy in my office is way louder hammering away on his cheapo membrane keyboard, it depends on how hard you bottom out the keys, not just the mechanism

yeah i'm a miserably heavy typist. i have a apple wireless at work (standard office issue) and i type so hard on it that it tends to walk around my desk :x

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

okay i finally broke down and ordered the Matias Quiet Pro for mac; let's see if it's quiet enough to survive in this usually silent office

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

get this thing, it's from canda eh

for a mechanical keyboard it's impossibly quiet

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

numpads are great

especially apple layout numpads with their clear and = keys

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

surebet posted:

just buy an external nump

i'm the fun button

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

do i post this in catte thread or here

i am going to go with here

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my das 4 definitely has cherry mx blues in it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

the pictures make it look like a real tinny piece of poo poo. i hope your experience is not that

i have a matias quiet pro and it's kind of tinny but i like it, and the switches are indeed quiet as advertised

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

you can find suckers selling an Apple Extended Keyboard II for under $50

then you just need to get a Griffin iMate ABB-USB adaptor, or make one with an Arduino Leonardo or other little USB HID microcontroller board that can deal with 5V (the software for them already exists, it's basically just a wiring job)

i have an Apple Extended Keyboard I and I can't deal with the lack of NKRO or ghosting or whatever, it drives me nuts to the point I don't use it with my iMate

would building the leonardo hid board give me some tunables to work around that or is this just an issue inherent to the keyboard?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

we should have yospos clan tags that are about what switch we use to post and that way I can discriminate against non-alps lineage users.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

je1 healthcare posted:

My coworker got a mechanical keyboard and hearing the constant loud clacking all day makes me want to murder. Who's problem is this? How do I ask him to type quieter without sounding like an autist? NOTE: I have headphones that I wear all the time but they only slightly muffle the background noise because I don't listen to music

buy him a Matias Quiet Pro or a Realforce

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

welcome to old Mac keyboards, enjoy your stay

remember that Steve (pbuh) didn't want arrow keys at all on the Mac, and the original 128/512 didn't even ship with arrow keys on their boards

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I really like my Matias Quiet Pro but it's $150

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

there's finally a drop for ALPS double-shot keycaps https://www.massdrop.com/buy/alps-keycaps

of course it's a standard ANSI layout so i get windows keys instead of ⌘ keys like stebe intended and not enough F keys to cover my Matias Quiet Pro

but eh it's :20bux: i'll give it a shot, if it looks like hell i'll keep the Matias laser-etched keycaps

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

welcome to the "everyone makes stuff for cherry" club, you and us Alps/Matias users hang out in this corner

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the few times you do find stuff for alps no one ever does apple layout :(

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

hope u like python

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

the one I have is a new-label made-in-Japan so I'm pretty sure it's ALPS, there's also an SMK variant though

the Griffin iMate is $30 or on eBay and works well in my experience, no drivers necessary. if you have one that's dropping key presses you should open it and replace the battery (!) which can make it flaky when run down

the battery is really only used to make the power key actually start up an old system (original iMac or B&W G3) anyway

wait there's a battery in there? that's why it drops keypresses? I thought it was just flaky

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

I want to touch those knobs

you wanna spin that Gyro-Touch Tuning. it's so great.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

duckfarts posted:

where is that gang tag coming from? it is v good

Infosec thread

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

also if you live in an urban area you probably have a used office furniture store nearby, my partner picked up a Leap in good shape for about $100 from National Office Interiors and Liquidators just outside of the Chicago Loop.

they'll also usually throw in a 90 day warranty as well

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

theres still gotta be several metric tons of these around, the timing was very conducive to jamming it in a box in the attic when moving on to a real computer PC compatible

yes and no. chiptuners love the sound of the MOS SID 6581 so a lot of them have been getting picked up to harvest their sound chip

but it sold millions so yeah, there's still a lot around

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

want your mind blown re typewriters?

guess how you type !

' <back-spacer> .

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Jeesis posted:

Heres my keyboard. R8 H8

is that thing HID compliant? is it possible to convert the IBM terminal keyboard it's cloning likewise able to mod to be HID compliant?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

b0red posted:

face it. you'll never have a girl do this for you

MX brown? you could say they

don't really click

:smugdog:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

stebe (pbuh) figured that out in the eighties and replaced the stupid num lock key with a clear key which is actually a useful thing to have on a number pad

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

surebet posted:

no one else used os keys before 95? i could've sworn 3.11 did, but maybe that's revisionism on my part

'tis, I don't think 3.11 even recognized the key code period.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

surebet posted:

:holymoley:

that ticks off most of the boxes, ps/2, mech, #brand consistent, clicky and awesome

plus for whatever reason alps dolch sets are hella cheap compared to mx ones

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1362

gonna have to pick one off of ebay or something

if only they made that set in a Mac layout :arghfist::(. I have the alphas from it on my Matias but I can't deal with the wrong legends for the number pad and meta keys

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

There Will Be Penalty posted:

i've been pleased with my matias quiet pro

same, I love mine

the stock key caps blow and there are very few vendors of good doubleshots that fit alps but I managed to get a PC set and just swap out the alphas and that was a good start

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'll be the F1-broken-spring key

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

can't redirect streams with the pipe in the wrong place

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

wrong mate I am a big time fan

agreeing with echopenis

I didn't spend all those years working as a cashier and a cash office clerk to not use the one skill I gained there my 10key speed is legit

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

surebet posted:

somewhat questionable aesthetics, but if you want to try datamancer like keys for 35$:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/typewr...y%20Promotional

i was kind of tempted buy this just because it looks so ridiculous and I don't use my cherry-switch keyboard as it is

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i got mine from OWC and love it to pieces, in fact I broke the return key stem :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

why is it so hard to have a usb hub in a keyboard anyway. I thought one of the things usb did was be a hubbable device.. but even the das that had the hub required two usb plugs into the pc?

cant it just be a usb 2/3 device and the usb1.1 keyboard implementation just jump on that bus????

anyway im legit pissed off about this and wanna fuckin turn over a table and poo poo on the underside of it.. let it set and then turn it back over

matias pro keyboards have three USB ports in them and only take up one on your computer :smug:

• Locked thread