Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Metanaut posted:

check the what you're wearing YLLS thread and think, do you really want advice from those people

taking a week off lifting to deload and hopefully help few joints to recover, +30 crew represent

Did that a few weeks ago, and it was great. Bench gone up, deadlifts gone up, shoulders still little bitches who don't want to grow. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Sir_Charles posted:

did not disappoint

lookin' good

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I just

Hahahahahaahahahaha

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Agreed. Weightlifting totally fulfilling.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Continue eating and driving up the cost of health care, if you live in America.

Also keep being a fat lazy piece of poo poo so I can gently caress all the hot chicks.

B..but you're MARRIED!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

JebanyPedal posted:

They were staring because you poo poo yourself and dug a hole in the sand and started screaming because you thought you were in the sandbox at school and the kids were forcing you to eat the dog turds again.

Thats awful :negative:

In happier news, I lifted a lot and my shoulders were good :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

limeincoke posted:

bitch say that to my face IRL see wut happens.

*bass soundtrack as two oiled up gymbros meet all swoled up at the gym*

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Lol this planned me a meal that was 60% fat, 20% protein, 20% carbs.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Yesterday I ate bad stuff like pizza but tonight I'm gonna go lift heavy things, have a sauna and then eat steak. :black101:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Guys guys this is the chill thread for lifting and complaining about shoulders, not for roid raging and fighting :(

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Listen man we are all a little sensitive right now because Rowdy Roddy died

We should celebrate his life by putting on the glasses.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Gaz2k21 posted:

Hogan murdered Piper to get the attention away from him.

He'll be back. "It's me, Hogan, it was me all along Hogan."

:(

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Top City Homo posted:

hello friends im all about getting swole2015

'Sup swoledude :3:

Question. Air water fire and dirt, fuckin' ab-wheels how do they work?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

you just grab the ab wheel and then get on ur knees and kind of slowly stretch out. You can do it with straight legs too but it's harder

Oh. drat, I was trying from straight legs, no wonder I couldn't do it. Next time. Thnks!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

freeweights own bro

I started my gym adventures doing almost exclusively weight machines but then I graduated into doing almost exclusively free weights :frogbon:

Machines are still nice for some specific isolation work but I definitely prefer my dumbbells and barbells nowadays

All hail cable crossovers and the low row machine.

In other news, I have been on holiday in another country for two weeks, no weights, only body weight exercises and no protein shakes. Goodbye gainz.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Got food poisoning so barely able to eat anything, apart from bread. Goodbye existing gains, My muscles shrink as we speak.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Being on a cut sucks. Really really sucks.

Discuss.

Also, what's a better idea - aiming to be able to do 20 pull-ups, or when you're able to do ten, use a dipping belt and start adding weight?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

El Duderino posted:

How does this work, 2 yoga dudes downward dogging your backside? I just plank and work the gently caress out of my core.

Edit: I missed you #swolethread. I was one of only 4 losers who didn't have anything better to do on Labor Day so I wen't to the gym like I always do on Monday. How was yalls Labor Day?

We have no Labor Day, so instead I laboured in the gym, bench-pressing and dipping to my heart's content. Although, I'm losing a little bit of strength due to a cut, which sucks.

Today is deadlift day :getin:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Groke posted:

Perfectly normal I'm afraid, OHP is known to be a bastard. Common remedies include increased or decreased frequency, volume, and/or intensity, microloading, resetting, just keeping at it, and complaining on the internet.

Agreed. Shoulders will let you down, shoulders will make you hurt.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Agreed, college kids suck. They're loud and spend more time standing around talking poo poo than actually lifting.

Also loving gains goblins, since this cut started my bench has dropped 5kg..,

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Please tell me you guys are talking lb and not kg, otherwise :stare:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Alfalfa posted:

What in the absolute gently caress is this thread about?

Swole guys, twinks and being over 30. Also proteins, pre workout and testosterone replacement therapy. Just a chill place to be swole without judgement (there is lots of judgement).

Edit: but jebany got banned and TinyLowtax got probated, so there's less judgement than usual.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Students are the worst. Seem to think that gym equipment is something to stand around while talking.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Starting tomorrow I'm going to begin with the PHUL (power hypertrophy upper lower) routine. Two days of high resistance low repetitions and two days of higher reps for repetition. Supposed to be good for size and strength, We will see.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

notZaar posted:

Make sure to check back in in 6 months so we can see how it went.

You mean it won't have instantaneous results like in the commercials? :(

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Oh man, just finished the lower body power with out. Squats and deadlifts on same day. Pain.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

FogHelmut posted:

Forgive me swolethread, for I have thinned. It has been three months since my last lift.

Finished all of this moving bullshit and joined a new gym. It's definitely a scrub gym (Fitness 19), but its cheap and mostly empty. I am in better shape than most of the guys but worse than a few of the girls, so its probably actually a good gym. I prob lost about 30% of my abilities, so I'm chugging whole milk and whole eggs right now.

Keep at it swolebro, just consider it an extended recovery break. Hit the weights hard and you'll be back where you were. Also, if anyone hasn't tried them yet, MyProtein's chocolate pancakes are amazing as a snack.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
So starting a bulk at approximately 12% body fat - good idea, or terrible idea?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

FogHelmut posted:

Always be bulking

Maybe, but I don't want to be a strongfat. Or a fat. :(

notZaar posted:

Well ask yourself this: do I want to be ripped, or swollen?

Ripped, but preferably while being generally bigger™

ElGroucho posted:

Is this 12% on a bad rear end beastly frame or 12% on a Dota professional

Somewhere in between, I think. See below.

ZigZag posted:

If your weight is under 220 you shouldn't be asking that question and if it's over 220 with 12% bf you shouldn't take advice from a bunch of nerds

My weight is only 145, but so is my bench (I'm shortish at 5'9"), and my squat and deadlift numbers are also acceptable.

I guess bulk is the answer? :ohdear:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

How do you have 12% body fat when you weigh 145? I can't even picture that.

I dunno, they did a calliper test at the gym and that's what they told me. Guess they could have underestimated (or didn't want to hurt my feelings?) though v:v:v

soy posted:

No poo poo, how would he even cut that far?

Unless they are really really short and somewhat muscular, that would take some kind of hosed up starvation diet to achieve.

Is 5'9" really short? :(

I have a really small frame I guess, and I was told by the guy at the gym doing the test that it was really time to start putting some more weight on. I'm now consciously trying to eat more.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

monny posted:

Consciously eating more isn't going to do poo poo unless you're tracking calories, because your brain will go "ok full now" and you'll be like 100 calories over what you'd usually eat. You tracking?

Yeah religiously entering everything into myfitnesspal. Aiming for 2,300 calories per day.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Today sucked. Last week benched 72.5kg (160lb) for three sets of five with no problems, tried to move up to 75kg (165lb) and barely managed three reps. Oh well, maybe my deadlift will be better tomorrow...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Pssst, hey, guys, we're all reckless drug users.

The Guardian posted:

One in three gym users take drugs or supplements to lose weight – study

More than 30% of gym-goers in the UK use some form of drug or dietary supplement to lose weight, a study has found, amid fears body image anxiety fuels a rise in the use of performance and image-enhancing drugs.

More than 5% of people who regularly attend gyms have gone further by using the illegal stimulant amphetamine for this purpose, according to researchers from the University of Hertfordshire, who have presented their preliminary findings to MPs.

Ornella Corazza, who led the research, links the trend to the rise in the use of new psychoactive substances (NPS) and, with a ban on legal highs on the way, is warning that a profitable market may soon end up in the hands of organised crime.

Currently, with a legal market but lax regulation, many users are taking risks without realising. “The user does not consider himself a drug user as the trend is embedded in society,” Corazza said. “If you buy supplements or sexual enhancers, you think they’re good, you think they’re completely licit, but what we’re finding out is that it’s not always the case.”

Among early findings from the continuing research, passed on Monday to MPs considering the psychoactive substances bill, Corazza and her team found that 31% of gym-goers used products to lose weight, while 47% took them to reach fitness goals.

Results from questionnaires answered by 433 people, face to face in gyms or through an online survey targeted at fitness enthusiasts, showed that four-fifths claimed to care a lot about their physical appearance and almost half followed a diet. But many felt the pressure of such a lifestyle: more than a third said they often felt bothered by feeling down, depressed or hopeless during the past month.

The most commonly used products for weight loss were protein supplements (58%) and herbal products (34%), such as guarana, which contains high levels of caffeine, and ginseng. But to their alarm, the researchers also found an estimated 17% had used amphetamines, 17% had used thyroid hormones (WTF - is this actually referring to something that could also be used for the thyroid but is being massively exaggerated?) and 15% had tried diuretics.

An estimated 40% of those who used products purchased them online, and about 43% discovered them through online fitness forums or blogs. Many respondents said they saw the internet as a reliable source of information, Corazza said.

However, despite their online research, more than a quarter (28%) had experienced side-effects from their substance use, including skin problems, mood changes, headaches, diarrhoea, digestion problems, fast heart rate, irritability and sweating. (oh no, not sweating!)

“There is a concern there about the way they look, the way they perform,” Corazza said. “So they try to do something, they try to find a quick fix, by buying these products online. This is the picture that is coming out.

A change in legislation is essential, but at the same time we cannot neglect the need for more multidisciplinary studies to better understand the motivations behind this poorly understood phenomenon and respond to it in a more informed way.”(how right you are...)

Dr Andres Roman-Urrestarazu, from the London School of Economics, who has co-authored the evidence to MPs, said: “The [psychoactive substances] bill so far has not been clear about how it will introduce minimum safety measures and harm reduction to the users of NPS. This is crucial, since we do not know the side-effects and safety profiles of most of these drugs.

“More than prohibition, we require broader policy measures that will give us information in regards to the growing number of NPS and how they are marketed online, what are their side-effects and how safe they are for human use.

“Also important is to consider the issue of NPS from a broader European perspective since restrictions and regulating in one country might produce the relocation of the business to a third country inside the EU. This is important, considering the parallel export market for drugs.”

Feel good, everyone, we are today's moral panic (doubles his creatine dose, sweats and punches a mirror).

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

FogHelmut posted:

I was deadlifting and trying not to poo poo my pants, which I think was holding me back. Should have gone for the full poo poo.

Youre obviously suffering from severe protein side-effects, and should make sure there are no amino acids in your diet. Also, there is a risk you may also be on a form of diet too.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Upped my squat yesterday to 95kg (about 209lb) for 5x5, so I'm quite happy :shobon:

Also I've noticed that as the weight gets heavier, it's definitely hitting my abs more. This morning they hurt almost as much as my legs do.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I squatted 335 lbs 4x6 yesterday, in case anyone wants to gently caress

You were nice about my incremental gains story so I'm down :3:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

What a loving bellend :stare:

Meanwhile, the PHUL workout is going well, although I can barely walk after the hypertrophy leg day...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

I've bulked from 177 to 211 since July (10lbs gained in the last 5 weeks) and still have abs. Get on my level plebs.

Is it Amon Amarth that gives you such strength, or the blood of twinks? :ohdear:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

Mostly Vader these days. Drinking blood also helps.

Vader is good, I've started listening to Primordial for deadlifts.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

actually lifting with girls sucks rear end

Quote for loving truth. The only times I've ever take a girl lifting I've immediately regretted it. The only exercise they were willing to do was squats. With a maximum of 30kg (bar plus two 5kg weights). Don't want to get bulky! :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Constipation is a terrible thing. :(

• Locked thread