Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
first post bitches

Is Blue Velious launching at midnight? Or some time tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

"Snowflakes begin to fall from the sky"

itshappening.gif

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Currently dwarves and giants to kill in various zones. 110+ Taken in GFay killing stuff. Has items to turn it but not clear what they do.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think he was just messing with people. 250 players in GFay and zone started dying. People having desync issues or can't log in.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Taken got AoW down to 72%, I landed a few nukes before dying. He's susceptible to Lure of Ice strangely, not Lure of Flame. We first attempted AoW with BDA but the number of people desyncing made it impossible, didn't get below 99% I think.

Taken also took down King Tormax and someone won his head for 2900DKP (a shitload, was one of the highest balances in the guild). Pretty fun intro to Velious.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 3, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

damastas posted:

You're in Taken? So am I. Didn't know there were any other goons there.

I joined as a recruit beginning of July, I haven't been able to play much though and I don't have the resist gear though, so I assume I am soon to be booted.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Dry Hump posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question or not, but where do you guys get EQ: Titanium Edition? Torrent? Direct Download?

Everyone torrents it. Easy to find with Google.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I wonder if you could have killed the slave to get it back

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

lol wut? Spell buffs don't tell you how long they have left anymore?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The dedication is honestly impressive. I can't imagine the mindset of the developers. Faultlessly implementing every aspect, even the aspects that seem like bugs or not existing simply due to lack of time to develop them.

Next patch update: the eqgame.exe will detect the hardware you're running and only allow CPUs and video cards that existed prior to 2003. Also it limits your bandwidth to 56k. Also it only runs in Windows ME.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

lemonslol posted:

Someone in my guild told me that he got from 1-31 in 12 hours because he was twinked on a warrior.

Is RMT actually caught often on the server? I remember there was one big bust, but after that anything? If anyone is willing can I get info on RMT?

The only not stupid way to RMT on P99 is to know a guy who wants to get rid of some plat as a one time deal and won't sell to more than a few people. If it's some guy you met on the P99 forum and have never interacted wtih him, or if you go through some website, you're gonna get banned. There was a goon who sold some a year or two ago but probably had less than 10 transactions total and he and the people he sold to never got banned that I know of. It was also probably only a couple hundred thousand at most. I imagine most big time RMT guys were doing millions worth.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

RMT makes sense to me (though I have not done it) because even when I played regularly it was maybe 10 hours a week. It would be cool to have stuff like an manastone, fungi, or rogue epic because as a casual player there is essentially zero chance of ever getting those. RMT is also frankly too expensive in my opinion, $100 for a fungi or whatever ($125 for 100k is at least three times less than the last time I looked) isn't really something I can justify, especially now that I log in like once a month, and especially when the likelihood of a ban seems pretty high.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

So did greengrocer not post all the chat logs? How could he possibly be censored? I don't get it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

They're just not the same. EVE is the only other sandbox MMO but its a whole other beast.

Isn't EQ sort of the opposite of a sandbox? There is literally zero player-made environmental objects.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What's the exploit? I don't get it. Reroll as in you can change your race and class? Or just deleveling to 1? If that, why does 3 hours matter?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

The exploit is that you repeatedly suicide until you delevel a bunch. From there you delete that character, then make a new character with the same name. You then have a epic cleric rez all the corpses, granting all the rez experience to the new character.

3 hours after any given time you die is when you become unable to do cleric rezzes, which is why that number matters for this exploit.

It's weird that it looks up the character by name and not by some integer ID. Was this ever actually confirmed as working at some point or just an urban legend?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If Barhoom is on 24 7 isn't the account owner almost certainly dual boxing?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

lemonslol posted:

Sorry for the E/N, feel free to not read it.

Do you guys ever have problems putting EQ down for a weeks at a time? Maybe I am in the minority, but I really love Everquest, I often dream about it. So when life gets in the way, and I have to put it down for a few weeks at a time, I always have this feeling that I am missing out on something huge. I know that this is a 17 year old game, and I happen to play on the server with a hundred people on it, but there is this always a lingering feeling that I should be playing--when I am not playing. I have been thinking about deleting my characters on P99, but between blue and red there are so many hours I have spent farming pixels and making friends.

I feel pretty much the opposite. Literally nothing in changes in EQ aside from the rare patch that removes/nerfs an item as per regular timeline. The same content and stuff to do will always be there. The community more or less never changes. Maybe this is more to do with the social aspect of it for you, but I think a fear of missing out, socially speaking, is pretty normal. I have never had "friends" in Everquest so I haven't had this problem.

I mostly got into P99 because I was bummed I had never once made it to level 60 in EQ despite playing 10+ years. And I never raided, especially not so as a teenager when I couldn't dedicate enough time to playing due to school and puberty. Once I got to 60 on P99, raided a bit, and got bored of it, I never much felt the need to play again. Yeah there's a strange sense of fulfillment sitting around in a well balanced group as a level twenty something whatever in some classic zone working towards some new awesome set of spells, but the hours of LFG and insanely slow experience make me get over it pretty quick. Nothing will ever really quite match the feeling of reaching Greater Healing (and later Complete Healing) on my first EQ character (a cleric) and feeling like a healing god.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 5, 2016

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

That other guy was a good distance ahead of him, wonder why the person filming got FTE.

I'm surprised the rules don't say that to be FTE you actually need a raid force there with you. Unless they're all running in behind guy filming.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

My impression is that some people have tons of plat because they're constantly camping spots with relatively valuable drops (10k+) with their friends. Or they're a guild leader/officer and make tons of money from gems etx from raid drops. I think wealth on P99 is very probably not a bell curve, but something closer to an exponential.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Has anyone ever heard rumors about ways to manipulate the /rand command on P99? I haven't played in years but I have this memory stuck in my mind of my brief time in a top raiding guild and how out of 80+ people rolling, one of the guild leaders rolled a perfect 100 for one of the most valuable items in the game and I just remember it coming across as super suspicious.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I figure it's not perfectly random server-side though, meaning it might be possible to determine when to send the /rand command to get a certain outcome

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Obviously it's not a problem that someone got a 100, it's just really odd it was the raid leader and one of the three guild leaders and it happened on probably the most valuable thing to drop in months. I don't even remember what it was. I'm probably just being dumb, that dude was a dick so I'm probably just trying to find a reason to dislike him more. Why do I care about an internet nerd from years ago. I don't know. I guess it's just what I think about every time I see P99 because dumb raid drama is why I left.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I saw a comment on ~~reddit~~ that

1. The P99 owners sell plat online then ban the people who buy it

2. The P99 installer has remote-access malware

Anyone seen anything to substantiate either of these? #1 is sort of believable because gently caress I'd do if it were me. And #2 I can see as an anti-cheating measure, or maybe hoping to catch some dude with $10 million in an unprotected bitcoin wallet (I'd also do that because I'm a dick want $10 million).

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

As someone else said, hosting servers for this stuff has to be expensive, but more importantly it's an insane amount of time to manage and develop. It seems like money has to be coming in somehow. My suspicion in the past was that there were really well-off autists that paid under the table for certain stuff, though that's entirely conspiracy theory and I have nothing to substantiate it. If I was unlovable neckbeard with $50 million in the bank I'd probably throw $50k here and there to be a raid guild leader or something.

Also to answer the appeal of RMT: I've paid real money for EQ plat, though I wouldn't say if it was specifically on P99 since I'm fairly positive my character name is on this thread somewhere. I do this because leveling up with good gear as a melee makes it a lot more fun and if I (for example) make $70 an hour at my job it makes a whole lot of loving sense to just pay up a couple hundred dollars and save myself dozens of hours of grinding plat. And I'm not buying high-end items, I'm was just a broke nobody with like 5k plat but wanted more like 40k plat to buy kewl stuff for my low level bard. But again I haven't done that on P99 and I haven't played in years anyway and wouldn't even try anymore given all the protections against it.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 16, 2018

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The claim that I read was that it doesn't see anything at all on a system unless it touches the same memory space as the EQ client, but I'm not this sort of software developer and know basically nothing about it and have no way of measuring the likelihood of that statement.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Jester Mcgee posted:

justaddwater powerleveled me a bit last night. Got me up to 16. It's like I'm a whole new Iksar. Getting over level 15 made my fists a lot stronger, and I picked up block and double attack which have made me much stronger vs blue enemies. I am successfully punching skeletons in Kurn's like it's going out of style.

Your body is changing a lot and you're becoming a beautiful young woman.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I just quit my job and I have the urge to play this again, please kick me in the balls

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

this comes across as the ramblings of someone who is clinically insane

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

it's me, i'm the druid fuckboi

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If you're scamming people in-game and tricking them in-game I think that's one thing. Convincing them to give you their account details is a pretty personal thing and escalates a "it's just a video game" to you just being a lovely person. That's like borderline fraud and theft.

It's also a very different context because Eve is a PvP game with pretty real financial ties to destruction and "real" war and conflict between players and factions. P99 is mostly a collaborative game and there's no real PvP aspects.

Alternatively maybe you're just making this poo poo up to bait us. Either way it's boring and you should stop.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 21, 2019

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I haven't played in years and have no interest in doing so, but would reinstall to give the green server a shot. Would probably last a week for me, though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Are mages going to be OP like they were at P99 launch? As in able to chain cast pets and not have them steal a ton of XP?

My claim to fame was being in like the top 10 players for the first 24 hours of P99 launch but I doubt I'll be poopsocking this time

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Bybus Slago posted:

Or none of your screen if you're meditating. Just watch the health bars, cleric, seeing whats going on would just distract you.

To be fair there's not much to look at in the original zones. You'd get maybe a dozen polygons of wall with a couple kilobytes of textures slapped on.