Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

KingFisher posted:

Excuse me sir I am historical mmorpg reenactor.

oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

borf posted:

Could someone elaborate on the combat bind wound?

Its something like:
/pause 2, /target "yourname"
/pause 2, /doability 1(or where ever you have bind wounds at)
/pause 2, /stand
/pause 2, /target a (mob name)
/attack on

You can skip the target mob name and just manually target too

Siets posted:

All this solo "go get 'em tiger" chatter (cool posts Pilsner and mool :)) has me considering coming back to Blue on my iksar necro. Thing is, I got him to 54 and just kinda... lost my way? I don't know high end EQ and did not have any interest in raiding. I'm totally into the idea of playing twinked alts, which is partially why I rolled necro. A great, versatile class that can easily solo farm a bunch of fun twink gear for my future empire of alts.

He's got the tools he needs from when I spent a few weeks going hardcore on EC Tunnel item flipping for cash: Jboots, CoS, and lots of INT and AC gear.

I guess I'm just wondering, what should I go do with this guy at 54? Are there spells I get between 54-60 that utterly change the game for necro that I should push for higher levels? What are some fun item farms that a necro could solo at that level? Looking for ideas.

My Garbage Mage is still like level 51, and down to duo.

I know Welt did Felwithe guards from like 50-something to like 58. Thats a big necro camp. Good cash.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 29, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Never Been Banned posted:

Man. I really hate that RMT is so verboten on this server. Now that Ive been out of the game for a year or so and am confident I'm not coming back i have a poweful urge to liquidate my warrior's awesome equipment and plat and no way to do it. When i was 15 or so i got paid a few grand when i quit EQ. This time i'm just left wondering WTF to do with all this wealth i labored so hard to get. Do you guys think theres a chance this server may do luclin or custom content to extend its lifespan,or is it just going to die slowly by attrition and end when the devs lose interest completely? I hate the thought of just letting the character rot idly if the server is just going to end in 6 months or a year or whatever, but it might be worth holding on to everything if there's a chance for more content of any kind somewhere down the line.

This server is never going past Velious.

It will probably be another year before they even get to the last Velious updates(Chardok 2.0, CT 2.0, Stonebrunt Mountains).

When Velious finally came out there was talk of a new "fresh" server that would start with classic and go through the two expansions over a certain timeline, but I doubt that ever happens either.

Give your wealth away to goons who still play!

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 9, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Pathos posted:

As someone who fell out of EQ way back when but is idly playing P99, why is Luclin / etc hated so much? Velious seems cool as gently caress -- what did the later expansions gently caress up so badly?

Luclin owns and I don't get the hate at all.

The EC tunnel is cancer and miss the Bazaar a lot.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I kinda wish there was a goon presence on the Al'kabor Server. It goes up to PoP. I feel like that would be fun, and it has a ton of zones I've never really messed with.

I tried it for a bit, but it has some obvious issues like peak time is like ~150 people. Also the client is weird and you can't zone out with the middle mouse button

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dustoph posted:

Finally logged back on and my 53 Shaman was in OOT. Killed about 10 seafuries. Place is still packed. Would love to try and get back into the game, actually get to 60 and get my epic since I never did in live (quit during Kunark). Dunno how feasible it is unless I just stay in OOT until 60 since I suck at soloing anything remotely difficult. Prior to quiting a couple years ago I remember trying to solo in COM which went OK until I would inevitably run out of mana or get an add or something that set me back to square one. I'd prefer to duo with someone, but finding groups in this game always seemed to take an hour or two, and thats usually how much time I have to play in a session these days.

My Mage is like ~18% from 53. I'd be down to duo. We could probably manage to kill some poo poo easily.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I saw tonight that one guild is monopolizing the Plane of Hate mini spawns needed for a few class epics.

They want 500k for the Mage Earth Staff loot rights.

This game is the worst.

edit: I never expected to get the Mage epic anyway, but after grouping with a 58 Mage who had his, I am super jealous.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 14, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Pillow Armadillo posted:

55 Wizard available. Been scheming a way to get a key to the Hole and tear it up down there.

I have a hole key! If you can root adds we can duo that poo poo easily! The adds are the only thing stopping me from soloing there. You get 2-3 adds pulling the first elemental every time, and Mages have zero crowd control. But I can summon weapons for the pets that proc DD vs Summoned(elemental) and I get crazy good mana efficient nukes vs summoned stuff.

My pets can wreck those dumb elementals. There is like ~10 mobs right at the entrance on ~12 min spawns, they all drop loam stuff and gems(I want a Loam robe so bad!). Killer loot and a big ZEM there. My pet + plus your roots and the random ice comet = easy xp and loot. If we get that Shaman guy to tag along it would be hilariously easy.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I played EQ when Velious was out on a P2 350 with 64 megs of ram.

5+ minute zone times, but it was playable.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This game is weird.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Lots of goons on these days. Kinda Nice :D

We should do some kind of thing together.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

Quoting this again because I just remembered: If you're looking to get your farm on for guards, look at Paineel. At your level you can shotgun pull the warrens to get your paineel faction up enough to be allowed in the gates, and the skeleton guards there are not on a faction, so you can farm them to your hearts content and not especially worry about not being able to sell. I should say at least, that's how I remember it being on live back in the day.

Quit telling dudes about my spot. It's already too crowded :D

At that level range You will have 7 guards you can get xp off in paineel but they are all on 24 min timers, and a bunch of green ones on 6min timers.. The xp ones are the 5 in the back room after you go through the portal, and there is one near the cleric guild, and one roamer(high level) guard captain.

They all drop ~10p in coin and items.

It's really the best for xp from 20-35ish. But I was still getting XP at 53 on those higher level guys.

Edit: You need Amiable faction to get a key. Hail the guard in the newbie zone and say "keyz" with that faction and you can use the elevator in Paineel.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Bards seem like way too much work.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

cmdrk posted:

to the goon dungeon crawling in Paw with me tonight (i'm Haughty): that was a lot of fun even if we nearly wiped.

That was me. Get guild tagged!
There's a few of us that are active in your level range. We could of used your Nukes on our failed attempt at Droga earlier that day.

PS way to save us all with that timely evac!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

khysanth posted:

Raiding on P99 is just embarrassing. Consider Phinigel!

this guy pays 10 bucks a month to play a 20 year old game

Dirt
May 26, 2003

xZAOx posted:

You say it like $10/month is some crazy amount, lol.

But most people don't even do that. Pretty easy to get enough pp to buy a krono for a month and not pay anything. A lot of people also took advantage of the "buy a year's sub" sale they had, I think it was $80 for 12 months?

what the gently caress is a krono

edit:

Googled it. That's retarded.

Nobody cares about actual EQ.

We like our dumb old free game in this thread, ok?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Athropos posted:

Anyone have some mid-range paladin gear for sale? Rerolling from Bard to Paladin, got a ton of mystical koada'dal pieces for sale if anyone is interested.

Also looking for a guild tagging in EC tunnel.

What race did you pick?

I've got that fancy Erudite only Paladin shield sitting in a bank somewhere.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I've had fun the last few days pissing off the top raid guilds on the server.

Guess I'm gonna reroll my bard, as Bluesdad can't go anywhere without being harassed :(

Made about ~800k in items before hitting level 10. That has to be a record.

RIP Bluesdad

Dirt
May 26, 2003

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah cmon man, give us the dirty deets or don't tell us at all.

Ok, three days ago I was in East Freeport drop transfering some poo poo to Bluesdad because no Goons were on. I notice there is like ~30 Aftermath dudes also in East Freeport. After I did my transfer I found them all, in the big building with 3 floors. They had a big line going upstairs to an NPC merchant on the 3rd floor. They were doing recharges. I cut to the front of the line, sold my jewelry for plat and bought a Bladestopper and Puppet strings for like 600p.

Two days later Awakened was doing the same thing in Erudin. I once again walked up and got puppet strings and some other valuable poo poo for dirt cheap.

Awakened bitched a lot more than Aftermath. Buncha babies imo
I've had a ton of tells with death threats, threats of being banned, lots of crying and begging/bargaining.
But in reality I did nothing wrong, and those guys are all dumb.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 3, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kefit posted:

I played a barbarian shaman from 1-60 as my main and only character. I was pretty casual from 1-50, then from 50-60 I gradually developed into a top end godmode raiding shaman. I got my epic at 55 or 56. I got a fungi around the same time. Here is my experience/perspective:

Solo levels 1-35: Grab a poison wind censer as soon as you can, they're pretty cheap. This is basically the only thing you really need to solo to 50. Buff yourself, smash face to level effortlessly.
Solo levels 35-50: Your first dogdog will make for the easiest soloing you've ever experienced. However, this only lasts for a couple of levels, and later dogdogs aren't as good relative to when you get them. As you approach 40, the damage dealt by blue mobs rapidly starts to go up. You quickly lose the ability to tank exp mobs, meaning you have to start using more effort intensive tactics like root rotting. Still, soloing remains viable, and in fact more effective than most exp groups. You won't need any kind of special gear.
Solo level 51+, pre-epic: Blue mob hp starts to shoot way, way up, which means you need to use much more mana to kill each mob. You use almost all of your mana to kill a couple of blues, then you need to med/heal up. It's still possible to solo in a few areas (the Burning Woods giant fort is good until 55ish), but it's much slower and less efficient than it used to be. Exp groups are just as effective for leveling at this point. The best exp comes from a good monk duo; a mid-50s shaman and monk can kill blues almost non-stop.
Solo level 51+, post-epic: Epic is a huge game changer for solo'ing because it means you no longer need to expend mana to kill stuff. Once you've gotten used to it and gotten into the rhythm of things, you get to kill ~4 mobs at once, non-stop, forever. (note: epic doesn't do anything for you in groups, so if you prefer grouping then this is less of a concern).

Fungi: A fungi tunic is an incredible asset to a pre-torpor shaman, and will really increase your effectiveness in both groups and soloing. However, it's by no means necessary. A non-fungi shaman can still do all the stuff a fungi shaman can do, he just needs to med up a bit more. That being said, the day I got my fungi (at level 55, purchased with cash I farmed up myself) was the third happiest day in my shaman's life.
Innate Regen: I never regretted rolling a barbarian. Troll/iksar is definitely the min/max way to go, but it's not any kind of game changer.

Torpor: I don't really know how a 60 shaman would play without torpor. It's the most ridiculously overpowered spell in the game. The first time I cast torpor, I was flabbergasted as I started to realize the crazy poo poo it would allow me to do. It basically gives a shaman unlimited mana and hp. Aside from the obvious grouping benefits, this also allows you to tank and solo just about any mob that can be slowed. But this is all pretty high end stuff that's decidedly non-casual. I wouldn't worry about torpor if you just plan to play casually.

In short, shamans are a fun and powerful class with no real gear requirements unless you want to solo efficiently past level 50. Groups at all levels would take naked shamans because slowing is overpowered. Also SoW at level 9 is super rad. Roll a shaman if you want to have fun and be liked everywhere you go.

On the other hand, I twinked out an Iksar Shaman with fungi and haste and died of boredom at level 22. yrmv

Dirt
May 26, 2003

There's a few people selling Call of the Hero to the entrance to PoM for like 2k.

If you do that the only dragon to worry about is the one in WW outside of TOV.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

FranktheBank posted:

That actually doesn't sound terrible on paper. I've never played one of the progression servers though.

I tried the first one they did...

It was basically 6 man box squads murdering everything. 5 mages and a druid usually.

Mage pets were super overpowered because they were "balanced" for the current game(with 20-something expansions) so they basically could murder anything in old world zones without any effort.

Monk fists were "balanced" too and were better than any classic era weapons.

If they limited boxing and can roll back spells/stats to normal classic era stuff ,it would be tolerable I imagine. If they don't do that it's just Mage deathsquads owning every zone.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

MF_James posted:

Aren't there like 10 people that play on there? (TAKP)

Also, pretty sure the game crashes OFTEN when zoning (or did when I tried it), classic client is lol and probably a host of other problems.

I quit after 5 minutes because you can't use the mouse wheel to zoom out of first person view.

lame.

I wish more people played on these servers though. I wouldn't mind seeing some new zones.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Race and class ones are still in.

The 40(?)% hybrid penalty is gone though.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Why is it so hard to find someone selling a Child's tear? :(

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Jeans is such a dick.

Someone should kick him out of UG.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I'm quitting for awhile. Probably be back when it's cold and miserable outside again.

PS steal more from AW/AM. Those guys are cunts.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Orty posted:

Been thinking about playing this again myself in a more "casual" sort of way. Not sure what would be best to play for a "hop on, kill some mobs solo maybe group, hop off" kind of play style. Currently have a 15 mage with a few decent cheap twink pieces that im kinda sucky at soloing with. Any ideas for what class would work best or if mage how to improve my soloing with it? Also is the guild still around?

If you want to solo a mage you literally only need one item. Torch of Alna.

You can chain pet fire pets solo until 49 really easily.

If you are around today post here and Ill login and give ya some plat to buy the parts for it. I don't really play anymore, but Im home today working on stuff so ill be around.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Just a little question: How do you chain cast pets using the Torch? Do you use a macro to "click" the Dismiss of the torch just before the next summon pet is cast, or is it just for the focus effect?

You have to have the torch equipped when you summon a pet to get the bonus from it.

Chain summoning works like this:

Summon pet(w torch). Med up to full.

Send in pet vs a mob.
When pet gets low on hp(takes some work to get the timing right) start casting a new pet.
Click "go away" or whatever it is on the pet window to dismiss the pet right before the new pet is summoned.
Send in new pet to grab aggro, and then spam back off until it casts its DS.
Repeat until mob is running, then reclaim the pet to get some mana back and finish it off with a nuke or melee.

Can also throw in more nukes if you want after the first pet. I never really bothered until 46 when the Burnt Wood Staff is clickable.

Aggro is wacky with chain summoning fyi, If you cast nukes, you will never be able to lose aggro. All the pet aggro poofs when it disappears, so if you have been nuking it's going to go after you and never stop. Really no point in using nukes other than to finish the mobs off because a ~300 mana pet is way more mana efficient than any nuke you ever get.

It's boring, but you can solo yellow mobs until the mid 40s like that.
Blues are quicker, but I did a lot of 6/12 min single spawns and just AFK medded between mobs.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 30, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Orty posted:

Won't have time to hop on tonight but might tomorrow night.

Back on live I had a druid that I soloed with a lot and I remember basically doing the whole root rot thing and some snare kiting. Also had a Bard that I did swarm kiting with but that was during PoP era.

Do Necros do chain summoning as well or is that mostly a mage thing?
Mostly just looking for a class I can casually solo/group up to where I can boost up a few other classes id want to play. (Monk/Bard/Shaman/Maybe Enchanter)

Necros get useful things like root and fear and snare, so they don't have to chain summon. Also necro pets are considerably weaker than mage pets.

It's a Mage only thing, because mages are kind of awful, but they can do that one thing well.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Summit posted:

How does Necro soloing usually work? Any ability to do it in dungeons?

Necros can solo pretty much anywhere.

They have tons of crowd control spells(root/mez/charm/snare) and Feign Death, plus insta click invis with a CoS.

Normal soloing methods are fear kiting (Cast snare, send pet, then fear, add dots, recast fear when it breaks until dead).
Or they can Root rot(root, load up with dots, reroot when it breaks, repeat until dead).
And they can charm undead mobs to fight for them. This only works in some places, and can be tricky because it's so random with charm breaks, but it can be super effective too.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I don't even like this game.

edit: Let me know if you are newish, ill give you some plat

Dirt fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 31, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

FungiCap posted:

Drop transfer everything. Live dangerously.

Use the Inn in east freeport!

I did that once, and ended up stealing 800k worth of poo poo from Aftermath, because they decided to have a recharge party when I was there.

edit: ps I don't play anymore. I still have some expensive poo poo to give away. Caiu get's my stolen Bladestopper. Who else still plays? I have a bunch of random expensive poo poo to give away still.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Any of you nerds playing on Mischief?

I miss having goons to bullshit with while doing dumb poo poo in this dead gay game

Caiu? Wert? Any of my old p99 nerd bros?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I logged back in to p1999 for the first time in years. It took me forever to remember my account name/password. I still have a few characters with the <Unknown Guild> tag. I think I gave away all my cool poo poo like Fungi tunic and whatnot. My Shaman still has some solid gear though. I had like ~700k at one point but I think I gave it all away to goons. I got good at looting recharge parties from the big guilds.

Anyone still playing?

Should I reroll on green?

I am travel nursing now, so for 4 days a week I have nothing to do in a city where I know nobody. Currently in Detroit and bored as poo poo. Figured I could play some EQ to kill time.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Communist Q posted:

Any stories about that? That sounds hilarious. Why would anyone ever do that in an accessible place?

So it started because I made a Erudite Paladin one day. I found a Bladestopper on a vendor there that someone in a raid guild forgot to buy back when they were doing recharges. I paid like 300 plat for it and sold it for like 200k. Someone in guild chat explained how recharges work(you sell a fully charged item with charges to an NPC . then sell an empty one, then buy it back and its fully recharged or something like that). Raid guilds would get together and recharge all their stuff apparently.

So after learning about that, I started going /who all *guildname all the time when I was sitting around doing nothing. I forget the name(s) of the guilds back then, Aftermath maybe? And others. I would find a big group of them in one zone that wasn't used much, and know that's what they were doing. I managed to snag puppet strings a couple times, and bladestoppers and other expensive poo poo while they were recharging. You just walk up the the NPC vendor and buy it off them. I caught them in the East Freeport Inn, In Steamfont mountains, Erudin, etc.

I made a crazy amount of plat. I got kicked out of whatever raid guild I was in on my Mage because they threw a fit and complained to that guilds leaders. Lots of spicy /tells. It was fun. The GM's on the server sided with ME and said it was a risk they took doing the recharge thing.

I twinked up a Shaman with like 500k worth of gear. Like Cloak of Flames, Fungi tunic and staff, djarn ring, a copy of torpor, etc.

Eventually i got bored and gave all my poo poo away to goons. It was a nice way of being a dick to the people who made it impossible to get my epic pet on my main too. My "main" was a Mage, and it's literally impossible to get your epic on p1999 unless you are willing to join one of those top tier guilds and be available for batphones and poo poo. That really annoyed me. So it was fun to gently caress with those people.

I'm sure it can still be done now. Just gotta catch them when they are doing it and be quick.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is my yearly post asking if any of you nerds are gonna play on the new TLP.

New ruleset is kinda not super exciting. Adding FTE encounter locking. I'm sure it will cause a lot of drama. Might be fun!

I didn't play a ton last year. Quit before Kunark. I got some extra PCs now so I'm gonna 3 box a team. Not sure what yet.