Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Holy poo poo.

The guy camping the courier in Ill Omen watched me die despite me repeatedly asking for help. That annoyed me. I got it in my head that I was going to spite camp the courier at the pillars to somehow stick it to him.

Third courier I kill drops the ring.

I'm a 25 mage. What gear should I get? I'm still mostly newbie gear aside from chest, helm and hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How exactly does an MQ work, anyway?

Is it literally just that one person "sells" their no drop items for the quest by turning in 3/4 (or whatever) of the quest and then you quickly turn in the last 1/4 for the finish?

Edit: I was also under the impression that the Jboots MQ is ~8k or more? Was I wrong? I "only" got 7k from the ring.

Edit: I have the torch already and 3/4 of the Stein for focus items.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 30, 2017

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

In 7th (8th?) grade a friend and I were both going to get Everquest and play together. A bit later my dad took him and I to the store where I bought Everquest and also Diablo 2 which had just come out.

We went back to my house and and he made a character on my account that I was to later delete so he could make him at home: a half elf warrior named Sankis. We (mostly I) played Everquest and he eventually got angry at me because he wanted to switch over to Diablo 2 at some point. He ended up never buying the game and I kept playing, and using the name, Sankis.

I only got him up to level 25 or so in the two years I played. I also had a 27ish mage named Nilien. I wish I'd gotten to play the game more but I had a chronic case of altitis.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 30, 2017

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You was on Innoruuk right?

Nope, Fennin Ro.

On an unrelated note, I'm now 34 on my mage and my experiences on live were only to about level 30. What are some cool places to level in my mid 30s? Bonus if it's semi obscure or something

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 15, 2017

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Vargs posted:

Crystal Caverns is probably my favorite zone in the game. There's a town of friendly dwarves in there with guards, a bank and some merchants (though you will likely be dubious so selling may be an issue). Zone is typically pretty empty. Early on you can kill orcs, which drop decent vendor trash and are generally fought in groups of 2. Can try our terrors and spiders later on (the spiders drop root nets which are fantastic for a mage). Eventually you can fight geonids, who are absolutely amazing. Single pulls every time and they drop tons of gems that vendor for a lot of money and weigh basically nothing. They're also right next to a zone exit if you do manage to get into trouble.

Holy poo poo this zone is amazing. Thanks for the suggestion.

That music.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

I was reading a comic book from 2000 and came across an ad for Kunark that boasted having a player count of 40,000. Surely the player count was higher than that, right?

Was it concurrent player count? That sounds about right for the era, I think. Each server had like 1500 on at peak.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

There was a long history of the "EQ Killer". I don't think I knew anyone looking forward to wow until that beta hit.

Speaking of betas, I remember in middle/high school (2000-2005ish) being in roughly a million different mmo betas. There was so much poo poo coming out. What a weird bubble that was. I even remember some like pre-release DAOC straight up having spell gems

Edit: remember Horizon lmao

Zaphod42 posted:

I was never able to get into EQ2. It just doesn't appeal to me like EQ does.

I've been vaguely interested in it for a long time just due to interest in seeing the world reimagined but boy does its art style suck reaaaal bad.

Pilsner posted:

I remember many servers peaked at over 3000 concurrent players before they started to hide the player count. Let's say 2000 average, and maybe 30 active regular servers, so I think around 50k players concurrent is pretty realistic around Kunark. However, they hid player numbers already in September, 2001, and it's pretty certain that EQ's subs went up after that.

Also, quote from Wikipedia:

I have no doubt that the active population got slashed by at least 50% the day WoW launched. I remember several überguilds that straight up switched to WoW.

That actually sounds way more accurate. 1500 would be a couple hundred over p99 at peak and eq in its prime wasn't that barren.
I think I was lowballing pop while over estimating server count.

Edit 2: remember that weird elitest server that cost like 3x the sub fee to play on

Sankis fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 30, 2017

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Do you like to go back and play old 90s crpgs with lots of numbers and stats? Think of a mid 90s crpg that was designed to be played online. Edit: or think of a mid 90s MUD with graphics

It might be neat from a historical standpoint as its really the first modern mmo and set so many different mmo conventions but I can't imagine playing it now without the nostalgia driving me.

That said if you do try it I'm super curious to know your thoughts

Sankis fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 30, 2017

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

The game is unbelievably slow and grindy, but in that oppressive environment it forces players to actually meet each other and work together, which modern MMOs completely hosed up.

On the lore side the world is also something pretty special. It's a game world that gives no fucks about you. If you go into the wrong tavern in a bad part of town you may find that the NPCs inside aren't super friendly or maybe you just find someone in the world who wants you dead because you worship the wrong god. Unlike most MMOs these days there's no central story where you're the chosen hero instead story exists in little bits and pieces in each city or dungeon to be gathered from quests and talking to NPCs (or reading the manual).

The world design is similarly neat. It's huge and sprawling with a lot of varied areas to explore. While there are some exceptions, if you see something plopped down in the world there's probably some kind of story or lore bit associated with it to be gleaned from various places. It's by no means perfect, and being good is highly debatable, but it's very much a style that is rooted in some really old school ideas that isn't seen often these days.

This stuff made Everquest one of my favorite MMOs to just walk around and explore. The other was Asheron's Call which did something similar.

edit: There's also the "interesting" mechanical stuff that can't happen in the same way in subsequent MMOs. Things like kiting and trains are basically gone due to the fact that leashing exists. Kill stealing in WoW vs Kill stealing in EQ are also entirely different things due to how tagging works. If the evolution of the genre interests you that sort of stuff may be cool to see.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 30, 2017

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Pilsner posted:

While I love exploring in EQ these days, where my character is a feign-deathing power house, I always felt EQ discouraged exploring for most classes, since death was so brutal and harsh. Even as a Rogue back in the day, with Sneak/Hide, I stayed so much on the safe paths, because I know how weak I was if I was caught off guard, and even with Jboots or SoW, it was extremely dangerous to walk in unknown territory. Even at lvl 60, with raid gear, I could only barely solo a lvl 50 mob, and two at once? Run for the hills.

Looking back, I can't believe how few places I went in EQ while /playing 200 days over the span of 2 years, but I took revenge and have checked out almost every place in the past 8 years after re-joining. :)

Oh I completely agree. EQ exploration is rough if you're not the right level or class/race combo. Still love(d) it though. I also barely saw anything, relatively speaking. I just saw Guk and Velious for the very first time recently.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Totally what made the world seem so big and fearsome--everyone probably remembers the first time they took the dangerous journey across the continent from Qeynos to Freeport on foot--dodging griffins and giants, hoping you didn't get mixed up and end up in the wrong zone, /conning every NPC to make sure you weren't going to get attacked partway through. I think there was still some of that in Kunark, where you could get a teleport to the safe area of the Dreadforest or whatever, but then you had to cross that awful zone with the spellcasting spider people. I remember getting a SOW and a levitate and praying I was going in the right direction, because if I ended up landing I would be so, so hosed.

I'd love some kind of server where your character is just in God Mode and you can explore the zones--like you said, even if you're max level and have sick equipment, it's still super dangerous to try exploring on your own.

There were programs to do this back in 2001/2002 so I'm sure something exists now. One of which hilariously used the tutorial .exe which is why they ended up removing it, iirc.

edit: I think there's even some weird server you can join to populate a group with bots to play with you. It'd be cool if it didn't sound so sad.

Vargs posted:

Manage your expectations with those lfay sisters, because they are pretty much 100% permacamped these days in my experience. The more popular grouping locations like Unrest are also a nightmare of overcrowdedness and petty squabbling, tbh. I find that grouping in slightly less populous areas like oasis or HHK is about a million times more pleasant, and oasis in particular gives you plenty of opportunity to solo if no groups are biting.

Ideally you end up meeting enough people that you can get groups together for less-travelled dungeons like SolA/SolB, guk, crystal caverns, kedge, ToFS, etc. Avoid the typical Unrest->MM->CoM->KC path imo.

Even if you do manage to grab the Sisters camp there's a near 100% chance some other lowbie character will wander up and try to steal it or just be annoying as gently caress and hope you leave.

I'm trying to level up a cleric at the moment. Level 16 right now. Is there anywhere other than Unrest and Oasis that have groups? Unrest is cool but has big issues, like you said, and I find Oasis to be mind numbingly boring.

I really wish this server had more of a lowbie population but I guess it's my fault for waiting 8 years.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 4, 2017

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Yesterday I was on my 15 druid coming back from Surefall Glade when I saw a skeleton walking around. Oh, Pyzjin's pet. Oh, she has the stone. Awesome.

Except I didn't med to full and ran out of mana before I could finish her. Then a 60 druid found me and watched me die before taking the kill. RIP my money.

Dreaddor posted:

What are yalls character names/levels? I haven't played this in forever but have been bored AF lately and have a 54 Druid I might be willing to screw around on. I also have a 12 Necro that I twinked out like 5 years ago with a SMR and GEBs etc etc that I never really played. If anyone is around that level I could probably motivate myself to group and actually play.

Scamander is my main, currently 35 gnome mage.

Saelluna is a halfling druid I made. 15 at the moment.

I also have a 12 enchanter and 17 cleric on the side.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

moolchaba posted:

Green is going to be a shitfest.

The patchwork armor and Rusty weapon phase will last a few days at the most. The most beneficial thing will be that the economy will be reset.

Can you imagine how many bard trains with 20 mobs will be running around all over norrath?

Bah humbug!

I'm most excited for an economy that hasn't been hosed by like 7 years of Kunark.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I will go green as soon as it's available. I just hope it doesn't split the base too much

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The crop of mmos a generation or two past EQ also added pretty predictable tethering for mobs and ranges for aggro are generally pretty small as well. Play some current mmos for awhile and you get pretty good at threading the needle between various mobs without aggroing them.

Plus areas are generally pretty strictly in a certain level range. It's rare you will find an enemy that stomps you if you're in the right zone. No hill giants in a 1 to 10 zone or random dark elves who want to murder you.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I enjoyed the bouts of weird guerilla warfare that would spring up in newbie zones on team pvp servers.

Gfay and steamfont were constantly being raided by the gnomes or elves. I played a gnome necro for like 10 levels and we would hide in the trees (gnomes could crouch and crawl under them) and kill newbies

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

No.

Do it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

It'll be nice to be able to get lowbie groups that aren't just one 60 druid power leveling guildies

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Info on green was just posted.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333743

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I have to imagine 99% of the people who will camp for a Manastone only even want it so they can sell it to someone a year down the line.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Hibajubwa posted:

Dark Elf is the best enchanter race because of innate hide. Enc can just use their gnome illusion to get the perks of being tiny.

I dunno if it's vanilla or not but can't agnostic Dark Elves also get into every city with illusions?

Edit: which is great for farming steins.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I mean, it was nearly always 3 camps on my server on live, so...

Yeah it being one camp on blue was always weird. I remember going there back in the day and it was packed with players at every spawn.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Meatgrinder posted:

I wonder if the people who start on Green will just be people from Blue, or if it will attract new players, and if they will influence stuff like "established" camps or weird little things like High Keep getting a double H in its commonly used abbreviation.

Kotaku wrote something on the green launch a few days ago and I think i saw it else where too. It's getting a tiny bit of mainstream buzz. Wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers swell for a week or two.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Noah posted:

GamePro had a 3 part feature on it, which is what convinced me to convince my parents to get it. It was like an insert booklet, even got into talking about BlackBurrow and poo poo. I was hooked from the pictures.

Hell yeah. This exact same feature got me hyped too. I actually found digital versions of the magazine issues a year or two back. I'll link them if I can dig them up.

I still remember some of the pictures. One was of felwithe and said something like "this may be someone's home, but not yours, newbie"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

I don't remember this. Was it post-Luclin?

They redesigned Freeport and it sucked. I don't know about the others but in that case it was done around EQ2s launch so definitely post luclin.

Edit: they also merged some zones, like the commonlands.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

How long will there be on green before kith forest has the undead at night?

Edit: is there a good list of stuff that will be added/removed over time?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 25, 2019

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah it sounds like an absolute cluster gently caress. Awesome. I'm sure there's someone out there who knows of some really obscure low level spawns that is raking in the xp

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I was thinking of the weird cluster of low level poo poo you'd sometimes see in higher level areas but you're right. There's nothing obscure about eq anymore.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Wait you can't do the transparent poo poo at all? Was that not an option at launch

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Everyone should be forced to use the tiny window for a couple days/weeks to simulate the newbie experience of finally learning you can turn on full screen

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The only thing I remember about being in a guild in EQ was joining "Soldiers of Light" because I was in their branch in The Realm. At some point there was a big rift and people in guild chat were talking about lawsuits and at some point someone asked 13 year old me if I'd testify on their behalf.

I don't remember what it was about. I think it was about some splinter group using the highly original name in another game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Yuuup. It was my first mmo. I played during the tail end of its ownership by Sierra through the early Codemasters ownership. I remember it being a big deal that Codemasters brought back some original developer (Steven?)

No mmo has replicated the thrill of getting something good at someones house 'drop' or the terror of someone sneaking into your house

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

It's not classic unless you're camping sirens and get back onto a passing ship by clipping into it from below.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Keep posting it's cool as hell.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

There was actually a second edition of that strategy guide. I was active on a server forum on... IGN, maybe? back in the day and I remember a lot of the regulars advertising the updated guide since the writers had gotten a bunch of actual players to write some stuff.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

When they were developing EQ there probably wasn't much in the way of anything else to look at for ideas. Quakeworld, which I am to understand kinda set the bar for online fps and stuff, only came out at the end of 1996 and the very first MMOs were only just starting to come out.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Remember when they tried to sell that server that cost like $30 a month and had better customer support and more gm events

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

That reminds me of the Fallout 3 Tram work around that Bethesda had.

https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-whats-happening-inside-fallout-3s-metro-train/

With EQ way earlier and potentially more limited I imagine theres a bunch of weird work arounds like their boats.

Edit: One thing I always liked in early EQ is how you can tell they started with Qeynos and worked eastward. Qeynos area through High keep is full of so many weird, later abandoned ideas like those message boards.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

On live, back in the era that P99 is portraying, those pixel monstrosities had their own UI and stuff when you clicked on them. I don't think it supported replies or anything, just posts. I imagine that when the qeynos side of the world was being developed they had grand ideas of people using them to advertise creating services or whatever.

Edit: I think the furthest west these message boards exist is Highleep. It feels very much like an idea abandoned early on but not removed for years later.

Edit 2: There may have been one in the EK docks inn, though I can't remember. Inns are another thing they seemed to have grand ideas for early on. It's all very MUD and tabletop inspired stuff.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 19, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Meatgrinder posted:

What I think is amazing is that so much information is just lost. You'll see people trying to emulate the original stages of the game and, even as far as Luclin and PoP, have to guess where mobs were, what they dropped, how quests worked... All there is, at times, is random posts on old message boards detailing some aspect of the game back then, which is basically coding your server based on hearsay.

Not to mention stuff like the original client and interface, which were basically just patched out of existence. Hell, even WoW can't run the original base game for that very reason.

Yeah, it's kind of incredible how much of P99 involves people trawling through old allakazam posts and stuff. It's obviously impossible to know but I wonder if any of the devs had the foresight to back up old copies of the game as they updated it. Considering WoW devs didn't in 04 I can't imagine they did.

Atleast EQ has the old tutorial floating around as a kind of time capsule.

It's a shame so little can actually be gleaned from old copies of the game. I'm guessing spawn info and such was stored server side? If Daybreak (or Sony) discovered all that old info on some old server I'd definitely pay good money for a more true to 2000 EQ. Ah well. P99 is pretty good for what it is. My biggest complaint is probably that I'm not 13 anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Giant Bomb does a series from time to time called Game Tapes in which they check out old promotional tapes from the GameSpot library. A little over a year ago they did a tape that was SoE for 2001 or so. It's not a lot, it's mostly b roll meant to be played during the background of something talking, but I ripped the EQ portion since I thought you all may enjoy it. There's a bit of footage from the Fan Faire that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk5Zfcy7kpc.

EVIL Gibson posted:

There was one def in Qeynos in an inn next to the docks because.... i used them to announce the name of Kapolokok the Magician.

Meant to write EFP docks, but yeah. They were all over on the Qeynos side of antonica. The docks inn where you turned in blackburrow stout or whatever had one.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 20, 2020