Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

you know, i'm not sure what i expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

You can only weaponize cum so many times in one comic!

I honestly can't tell if this is a continuation of the previous fight (they just happened to posses a gay couple banging) or if they decided to just gently caress already and this is what their relationship looks like.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, honestly, I don't get why people continue to be obsessed with that guy.

(And the comic linked above probably isn't even him anyway)

Agreed. The lack of gradients/fill bucket tool is the big giveaway.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Looks like Jimmie's camel loving was irrelevant.

New thread title spotted.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sepherothic posted:

Hi folks. I'm just getting rolling with a webcomic and wouldn't mind some critique.

http://www.theauroracycle.com

It's... different. The idea behind it was to be super efficient in terms of art while also having a real strong literary voice. The goal being to have a faster update schedule than most, and a more thoughtful approach to story than your usual fantasy comic circlejerk. I don't know how well I did any of that, so I need to you tell me.

Also, this is kind of unusual for a webcomic, but before I even started the comic I wrote two prequel novels (strictly optional) to really exercise my story muscles and get all the cliche poo poo out of the way. Which, well, I am not really sure how people are going to take that.

I have two chapters up right now (about 50 pages), with a third coming in a week or so, and a fourth a few weeks after that. I am planning updating by chapter, because it gives me time to properly edit 20 pages at a time, rather than the piecemeal approach where I can't change story bits as easily. I might change that update schedule to something weekly in the future, but for now I'm just trying to lay down the intro as fast as I can.

So yeah. Anything anyone wants to say is okay by me. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

Your format is killing you.

To be blunt you're too early in your career as an artist to be obsessing about efficiency. If anything you should be looking for ways to do MORE work each page (more detailed shading, more deliberate color choice, better anatomy, etc) rather than less. That's not to say efficiency is always bad, but it comes at a cost in quality that you're not good enough to pay yet.

Consider switching to a more traditional comic format. I'd look at Tenko King if you want a decent example of "efficient" storytelling. OR if you're married to a text heavy format you could publish this as a novel and use some of the drawings as illustrations. Right now though it just comes across like you were too lazy to make real art.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I hear good things about that KoS but the CG art style looks awful to me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

*clicks*

Holy crap this art is adorable.

...HOLY CRAP THIS THING'S ARCHIVE HAS LIKE EIGHT HUNDRED PAGES!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ Eh. It's the style you'd normally get with this genre so it feels appropriate to me

Just read through all of Sleepless domain. It's fine. Not amazing, but fine. It's a decent story that has the potential to go interesting places. Not sure why people are getting riled up over it.

Good stuff:
-Interesting premise. It's an angle on the genre I haven't seen explored much.

-Neat monster designs! I particularly loved the elevator themed thing.

Minor gripes:
- I hate universes where only one gender exists. I realize that this is a magical girl trope and don't care. Token male cameraman doesn't count.

- Why the hell do they let these teams of children do this poo poo with no adult supervision? I get that only kids probably have this power but shouldn't there be an adult with the military keeping them in line/coordinated?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

Please stop posting Bunny Meat strips in this thread, just link to them or something christ.

Or you can just put him on ignore like a grownup, but whatever.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sepherothic posted:

It makes me so happy to see that Tyson has found widespread success. That dude was too good to not get paid for doing comics.

Wait. What's he up to these days?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sepherothic posted:

As someone else said, he does the official Gumball comic. He also did a few of the official Sonic comics, and storyboarded an episode of Bravest Warriors. The story of boxer hockey was never even approaching good, but the jokes were funny, and the art great. I guess people noticed.

I'd argue that lots of the individual story elements were pretty good. The story of Fat Kid meeting Cool Kid was particularly endearing.

Good to hear he's doing well though. I'll have to check out the Gumball comic now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

:golfclap: I enjoyed this one.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I like Homestuck and am glad it's back. Am I a bad person?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I just power-read read all of The Last Halloween and I think you guys should too.

That is all.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Holy crap today's BACK was amazing. Never stop KC Green.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLzS2MmkzQ

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20161219
Yesssssss. Mordawwa and Scientist Erin and The Boy! :neckbeard:

I've been out of the SGR game for a while. It would seem things got weird in my absence. :stare:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this has been posted yet but this just happened:

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/825449631832174592

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Screw the haters this poo poo is adorable.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

I didn't really follow what was going on, but the whole point of gamercat is to repeatedly throw the "lol cat" switch in an interneter's brain so I don't hold it to a high standard

Also "VIDEOGAMES!" and "VIDEOGAMES NOT LIKE REAL LIFE!". But I'm an easy mark for all of these things so that makes it perfect for me.

Also is anyone else reading Tove? The release schedule is glacial but the art is good, the characters are fun and I think we might be about a half a chapter from the deep ones rising out of the depths to rain fire and madness down upon whatever planet this takes place on.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaaand that's three comics I've added to my reading list in as many days thanks to this thread. Slow it down guys JEEZ!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
It Hurts just ended it's run today and the finale was pretty drat good. If you haven't already experienced the magic that is It Hurts then you're really missing out:

As always the rule for new readers is to start on page 1 and read through at least the first 100 pages. :siren:No cheating and reading the more recent stuff!:siren:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Unless you're overtly writing about gender pronoun guides are dumb and people need to knock that poo poo off. Just write your loving characters and people will catch the nuances over time. *shakes cane at cloud*

Actually this ties into another pet peeve of mine where a character will be trans/gay/whatever but no one will ever mention it and it won't inform the story in any meaningful way. I get that the author probably wants to lead by example and show a society where people get along but even in a perfectly #woke society people will notice and talk about that poo poo (because these traits are unusual and people are gossipy little assholes).

Softies is actually a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. Every time I read it I ask myself why the writer decided to make Kay a girl since she's visually and functionally a boy in every way and her lack of conforming to gender norms is never once brought up. That's not to say I'm against the author wanting to tell a story about a tomboy in space but I feel like if you're going to introduce an interesting character trait like that you should actually DO something with it. Did Kay get poo poo on for being different on earth? Does she feel more free to be herself now that she's in space? Is that why she's taking the potential deaths of billions of people (including her family) so well? We'll never know because the author doesn't actually have anything to say about any of these topics and it's really frustrating.

Edit: Seriously though, why is she so OK with the fact that everyone she ever knew is dead?

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

I appreciate the clevin effortposting (clevinposting), I've been tuning out SFP since pre-clevin and was completely oblivious to where this clevin thing was coming from.

Cleffortposting.

I mean come on it was right there people.

• Locked thread