Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've dropped a lot of webcomics since 2007 when I first really started reading them, but I still periodically check Dead Winter for updates. It also has the likely dubious honour of being one of only two and a half webcomics I've ever bought a book for.

What's the word on a volume 3? I'd buy it.

what's the half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Bell_ posted:

Maybe? I started reading from the beginning, and their connection was there from pretty much the beginning. While the art's pretty and the lettering is nice, it seemed like Garfield to me.

what are you even trying to say, here?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I like that comic but I wonder if it's really going to change the status quo for it.

I dunno it seems that way to me? Like the early comics are 'yeah they like each other' but it was hidden in their rivalry and neither of them were aware or would admit it. Recently they've moved from having a connection to practically dating in all but name and the tension's ratcheted up. I dunno but to me if you compare HH and Turp's relationship at the start of the comic to now there's a really clear progression, so I think a status quo shift of them actually getting together or admitting their feelings is coming, BUT ALSO that it wouldn't be a super huge change, just another small shift.

why am I so invested in pastel webcomic lesbians, dangit.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tunicate posted:

They had a confrontation where a guy shot another one.

And then the second guy was like 'nah uh, my power is that you get hurt instead',

and the first guy was like 'well nah uh, that's my power except you get bad things that happen to me AND I get good things that happen to you too'

Could... could you actually do a "good" fight scene like that? Like the two elementary kids going 'nuh uh'.

Like at the start of every fight they're just normal people, and then they have to declare their attack/power and the opponent gets like a second to react and counter. So as the battle goes on they're getting more and more ridiculous, but also they have to remember everyone's powers/defenses and trying to find creative ways to win. And... I guess you can't just declare yourself completely invulnerable to everything right away, for whatever reason?

There'd also have to be a reason not to go full nuclear right away- like I dunno if you unleash the hyperdeath laser beam without declaring yourself immune you just blow yourself up, or give your opponent a chance to counter it if you haven't set them up...

Mmmmm nah, this is dumb. Maybe there's something to the 'making poo poo up on the fly' idea but it'd have to be really limited to avoid just immediate blowing up the world.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Carrasco posted:

This just reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Sandman:

Oh yeah, that was a pretty good part. One of my favourites in the series, too. ...I feel like maybe I could do with trying to track down the books for a re-read, but then I look at Dream's font, and ugh.

Ok, I'm thinking maybe you could do a 'nuh uh' style battle decently well, but yeah you'd have to have it either parodic and absurd like Renbot said, or give it enough limitations that it's a battle of wits and creativity, rather than just 'who can declare the most stupid strong power first'.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

Speaking of CAD, some goon made a video of the end of the Ethan stuff, back in the final mock thread

I've been trying to find it but no luck, and no archives Can some one relink it? It's the one of him pushing the button

oh, that's not the one I was thinking of

I was thinking of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60JlM6ZXHc

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the tragic lesbians curse strikes again

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 27, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

well I'm a degenerate gay furry, what the gently caress do you want from me?

would you say you're a trash disaster gutter owl, then

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Cherry might be straight? But yeah, the rest of the main cast is gay or bi/pan

Atomic Domme's sexuality hasn't been defined yet I don't think, although she is transexual, so point still stands.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Huh, I thought at some point the comic mentioned her having a girlfriend, but looking back the scene I was thinking of was way more vague than I remember. So yeah, it's still up in the air with her, too. My bad!

yeah I could vaguely remember some author comments that Domme's up to stuff offscreen and I think that she's gonna get some focus eventually or something like that, but not quite yet I guess.

e; some other comments, in addition to the one on the page you linked, I think.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 29, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

there was an update today

his statement still stands

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's also a panel in this page where you can see part of what looks like an opossum tail poking out of the back of the chair.

Or maybe it's a dick. Dicks chairs are a fetish, right?

wow I just realized he's saying 'activation' (finishes on the next page), not Act 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

There would still be more variance than this. Back in the early days of webbed comic you'd see groups of webcartoonist friends with a pretty diverse range of styles. Look at the old Homestuck flashes, especially the later ones, you'll see a ton of different art styles on display from the same community. This feels more like people are being taught to draw a certain way for an art school degree and they all get tasked with making a webcomic that ties into their coursework. Either that or the even more :tinfoil: answer, they don't actually draw the comics themselves, there are artists who ghost on dozens of comics for quick cash until they burn out and someone new comes along and that's why every few years there seems like a new style that these comics all seem to be in.

Yeah but it made sense for old Superhero comics were made to conform to a house style because it was easier to maintain the look of the brand, things wouldn't noticeably change too much if one artist was indisposed for whatever reason.

I dunno. I mean artists being influenced by other artists- whether as youth or as contemporaries- is just, the thing so I think all it is now a days is that the internet allows for such a glut of content that people feel the need to ride the wave on whatever's popular in order to start picking up an audience.

Also they might just like the style or whatever series they picked it up from. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all.

Also also the internet's ease of entry means you're not seeing "professional" work, someone who's spent years developing their own style, adding and changing elements of other's styles along the way, until it becomes fairly unique (in theory), and then that crop is cut even further down by marketing and editors who say "nah not taking this to print".

Now we're seeing amateurs and students still trying to find their own identity, driven by the fan-market that wants more of the latest fad or trend. Not that that's a bad thing or anything though. It's pretty cool imo.

• Locked thread