Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

Can you add http://www.powernapcomic.com/ to the Sci-fi list? They've been updating regularly for quite a while now, and it's really drat fun.

"An outcast working for a faceless corporation learns of a destructive force creeping in on reality from dreams." is a decent description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Thanks! drat I love this comic. When Maritza and Bachan announced they had a buffer and would be doing regular updates I almost got up and danced in my cubicle.

Also this image owns.

khy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 5, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Dabir posted:

And It Hurts, with a disclaimer to read to comic 100 before you make a decision on it.

Or possibly just a link to the thread which goes into far more detail and helps explain more than a 1-line sentence would.

Maybe we could just consolidate the two lists and have a link to the BSS thread in the webcomic list instead of two separate lists. Also It Hurts belongs in the all star list. Just sayin'.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 5, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love SSSS because it has super awesome cats AND THEY JUST RESCUED A KITTEN But it's sad because mommacat done died.

Still, so very goond.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Moar webcomics.

Solstoria is a fun little comic with very nice art that has a decent story that hasn't gone anywhere exciting YET.

Black Brick Road of Oz is a retelling of the Oz story but with weird and fun changes. Dorothy is an amnesiac girl with an adorable scratchy cat. Oz is ruled over by the witches some of whom appear to be cannibals or something? Actually the witches seem super awesome. Not quite as wicked as you'd think. Anyway the Tin Man is there and the Cowardly Lion is a girl with a gun who's the daughter of some thieves or something. Great art and fun little flash pages here and there.

E: In the previous webcomic thread there was a comic about a guy who got pulled or something into an alternate world, and there were werewolves and vampires and things, and a fight over the human and the human was going to work for a guy in a castle in the sky? Anyone know which comic i'm talking about?

khy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 7, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I just started reading 'Dead Winter' from the OP, and I love it. I don't know which goon draws it but it's fun.

I just got to the bit where the kitty got reunited with the MC, which makes me happy because i'm a cat person.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Reiley posted:

Jesus christ has it really been a year? gently caress.

Well it's been a fun comic up until now! Didn't realize it had slowed down so much until I got to the end.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This is literally the best thread on the forums because it keeps reminding me of all the fun webcomics I used to read but stopped because I forgot about them. AND it also introduces me to new ones like Dead Winter that I didn't even know about before.

Like, I'm getting caught up with Latchkey Kingdom and I had no idea the author has an account here!

khy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 11, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tollymain posted:

it's kind of a bad webcomic

Parts of it are good. I like how it goes out of the way to portray a lot of comic scenes as being really stupid (EG : Throwing cars at people, shooting beams wildly and missing, etc) and some of the superhero fights were good.

But yeah right now it's at a definite low point.

ALSO : Badnix is a good comic and people should read it. And I just binged the whole drat thing.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 12, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

blastron posted:

Grrl Power: "People with superpowers are naturally hot as hell. Also they do not grow body hair which is good because several of my female characters are invincible and would thus have hairy legs which is gross. Let's have a shower scene!"

Its genre-savvy main character and smart fight scenes are really kinda cool, though.

I definitely think it has one of the better 'invincible/invulnerable' character portrayals I've seen. I mean, if you're absolutely 100% invincible why WOULDN'T you block swords with your eyeballs just to freak people the gently caress out?

Shame it devolved into this garbage shower/dressing room scene we have going on now.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Power Nap continues to update regularly (IE : Once a week) and continues to own. I doubt the updates will stay regular given Maritza Campos' history, but I plan to enjoy it while it lasts.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RoboCicero posted:

Power Nap rules, but I'm once again confused about what's going on. So I'm taking it that the main character is in someone else's dream, hence his koala appearance (and how Kafka is a dancing printer). Do we know who muscle and faceless are?

Also how did he figure out that Cornelius was the janitor?

This is speculation but it's speculation based on clues we've been given :

Lillian (AKA : Token, Locust, etc) knows Drew's identity and sent him one of her spiders. He's currently in her dreamworld. A big hint to her identity is the mask - in Drew's dreams, the mask's picture changes based on her thoughts. Same with the faceplate here, it changes just like her mask does.

Since we know Cornelius isn't there, and we've established EZ and Jeremiah aren't, and that muscles ISN'T a color laser printer, the only remaining possibility is that Meathead/Muscles is Mr Manly Chin.

As for how Drew knows that Cornelius is the janitor, that hasn't been explained yet. I suspect an explanation and a revelation of Cornelius' identity to Locust and Meathead is forthcoming in the next week or two.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Was browsing Imgur and found this http://imgur.com/a/BqTvD?gallery

http://brandontheoutcast.tumblr.com/

Synopsis : What if the creepy little ghost girl from The Ring was an actual little girl growing up and not a killer (But still Psychotic). Pretty enjoyable! I linked the imgur gallery because I don't like tumblr format comic stuff. As light hearted as a comic about a creepy little magic horror girl can be.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 17, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Unless you're using gay as an epithet, I'm pretty sure that's a heterosexual couple that they posessed.

I'm with him, actually, I think it's two men and not a man and a woman.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Poppy is a drat well put together comic. Foreshadowing here and there, and some extensive worldbuilding that doesn't get in the way and drag on.

Meanwhile, there's more family trouble in Badnix. Looks like Perry lost what little family he had when he was busy avenging his parents. Now all he has are his cold, lifeless, mountains of riches.

Poppy is fun and I was re-reading it and I think this page might be my favorite thus far because I love it when she goes from full on caring-mother mode to "BLAME THE DRUNK FAKE NUN" in 0.2 seconds and that expression owns.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Yeah. It was slow for a while, but now we're in the middle of what may well be the greatest fight in comic history.

Elbow dropping a baby

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This is cute and fun.

http://www.peppercarrot.com/

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ArchRanger posted:

I really didn't mind the text-only updates which I imagine are going to happen again. Hopefully they actually carry on the main plot instead of farting around in side-stories for a year again.

I would agree that we need more main plot except there's one big side-story I really want to see : Stanley's betrayal of Saline IV and his assault on FAQ. Other than those, yeah, enough with the side stories already.

Here's to hoping that Tramennis (sp?) joins forces with Parson, that seems like it'd be an amusing teamup.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Erfworld is fun because it embraces the board game rules as the natural order and doesn't do the OotS thing where they jump across the 4th wall with combat mechanic discussion and a serious storyline.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SO many good webcomics out there that make a strong start, then peter out into nothingness. It's so depressing.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

majormonotone posted:

Once, I met someone who legitimately, actually thought that the concept of "white privilege" was invented by tumblr

(an astonishing number of people think this about the word "cisgender" too)

This is not surprising. All too often words, people, concepts, etc. are thought to have been created by that which made them most popular.

I know several people who were honestly surprised to find out that certain songs were not in fact made just for TV show titles.

In fact I know people who still think that Cleveland Rocks was written by POTUSA.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So, apparently Maritza Campos (CRFH and Power Nap) is quitting webcomics or something?

I can't say I ever really enjoyed CRFH though I did read through from the beginning during a couple REALLY slow work days. The art never really drew me in and I hated most of the characters. I'm sure there are people who will miss this comic but I'm not really one of them.

Power Nap OTOH was really, really intriguing to me. Despite massive delays there was a solid storyline that was really intriguing, and there was some really interesting world building going on with Power Nap that is, apparently, going straight down the toilet.

quote:

With a heavy heart I have to say we may not be continuing power nap for a long time. It may never end up coming back. This was a big and unfortunately heart breaking decision to make. We can't offer refunds to people who donated to the indie go go for volume 2, as production of that is being held off and money is tied up. I will be making a post to explain everything you guys in a few days

quote:

Again I am truly sorry to all my long time fans. This also means CRFH is finished as well

khy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 30, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Man, that blows. Another comic in my bookmarks down the drain.

Mind over Matter posted:

Wow. CRFH was one of those I was way into back in the early Keenspot days and haven't thought about in years. Maritza was always friendly and kind on her forums, I hope she's not in too much of a bad place.

Quinton posted:

That's a bummer. Powernap was fun.

Update : Apparently due to the comments system in use on CRFH/Power Nap (Which requires zero authentication of any kind) and the fact that both the author and the artist were incommunicado for so long, trolls went in and started posting using Maritza's name. Apparently Power Nap isn't ending, they're just super slow because they're releasing a book and going to 'cultural events'.

This is what happens when you let your webcomics sit idle for well over a month without a single word about the delays to your fans I guess :v:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i could swear Pizza Hut actually did this for a while, and produced some of the most upsetting food commercials in history about it

I was instantly reminded of

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So apparently they're turning Demon into an Anime!

http://i.imgur.com/Oi0WpEb.webm

Just kidding it's from an anime called 'Ajin' and not related to Demon but when i saw people trying to take him down with Tranqs and him chopping off his arm I couldn't think of anything but Jimmy.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Question RE: Demon.

I had stopped reading about the time that the army of demons was attacking the japanese-style castle; I figured I'd check in and see what I missed.

The news post makes me confused though... did Shiga remove it from his site?

quote:

It’s hard to describe what I’m feeling right now. Demon was my life for a very intense 2 year period and now it’s over. The comic has been taken down, the shigabooks store has been removed and I’m leaving for France in 10 days.

So he finished it and immediately nuked it? What the hell?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

There's a 1 chapter sample available on the site and he's working on print volumes. Plenty of other comic authors do the same thing.

Selling them as books sure, but I haven't encountered a great many who take it down so book form is the ONLY way it's available.

Someone spoil the ending for me?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

everyone dies

A masterful summary.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm trying to find a comic I was reading a while back, I don't recall the name.

It has a young boy who collects scrap. Robots and humans are at war, and the humans use jammers against the robots. The young boy befriends a robot who has a special legacy of some sort, and they're hunted by both sides for the legacy.

The young boy gets injured, there's a timeskip, the robot becomes controlled by the (likely evil) humans, and that's about as much as I recall.

Sound familiar to anyone?

khy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

habituallyred posted:

Gepetto a Webtoon on Naver.

Ah, thank you! I've been browsing a lot of the Naver comics, many of them are incredible.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

habituallyred posted:

Care to elaborate? Hive is approaching an end and I need a new set of cheesy cliffhangers to read.

Tower of God, The Gamer, and Noblesse are the most obvious suggestions.

Unordinary's one of my current favorites.

Dice is really enjoyable.

Girls of the Wilds isn't bad if you're into fanservice.

Nano List and Gepetto have the whole 'androids and robots are people' thing going which I always enjoyed in my sci-fi.

I hear good things about Sword Interval, but I didn't get far. It's not bad, it's just too many other comics piqued my interest. You should try it though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

More people ought to check out Dice, IMO.

I was concerned it'd get creepy with the MC's horribly, horribly obsessive crush on another girl but it's turned out pretty well, the fights are interesting, and I genuinely don't know how it'll end.

The MC wants to keep dice because without them he's a doormat, the 'love interest' wants to keep dice because without them she's a hefty, ugly girl. Both want to stop X, the kid who's giving out dice, because he's cruel and evil. But the obsessive crush wants to get rid of dice altogether. Also a weird bro-mance/mind control/multiple body thing to throw things into further confusion.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm a big Kubera fan, but I kinda suspect most people will be put off by the art and the glacial pacing.

I started reading it because why not. I'm up to the 200's now. Art is fine, pacing is slow but I've read worse, but I have to say that this entire comic is irritating because of the lack of any real communication between characters.

Almost every single problem in this comic occurs because someone tells someone else to do something without explaining adequately why. Everyone is keeping everything secret from everyone else and everyone screws up everyone else as a result. Nobody seems to fully understand what's going on, and they constantly get in each others way for the dumbest reasons. The MC constantly gets in trouble because nobody explains poo poo to her, and when she fucks up she doesn't understand WHY she hosed up which just makes her feel guilty because she feels like she's always the problem.

Agni constantly refuses to tell anything at all to the fire priestess. Almost every occasion he just says "Don't worry I'll take care of whatever". Asha just bosses everyone around always and refuses to explain anything. Pretty much all the Suras like to keep each other in the dark about everything, nobody ever explains anything between anyone. I get that they're trying to keep big plot points mysterious and uncertain so people don't just know what's going to happen in advance, but as a reader it's getting more and more frustrating to follow.

Ran actually is an enjoyable character to me just because he's the first one to stand up and start asking questions. Why are you so mean to Leez? Why are you avoiding her? Why not do this, do that, etc.? Granted, everyone ignores him and his questions and nothing really gets accomplished but the fact that he at least asks them in the first place is gratifying.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 6, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A friend of mine introduced me to this comic

Guardians of the Video Game

I've been EXTREMELY pleasantly surprised by it. Hand-drawn pixel art is a bit odd but other than that it's really intriguing. A player playing an old-school RPG doing a pacifist run and the behind-the-scenes stuff having to make it work, but with intrigue and backstabbing and betrayal as well.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 10, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

Waaaay too much scrolling. Even just scrolling rapidly through, without reading it, it was too much scrolling.

loving "infinite canvas" strikes again.

If you can get past the Webtoon layout it really is worth reading though.

Helps that my mouse has multiple profiles so one profile I set to scroll like 30 lines at a time instead of the usual 3 or 4.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Thank you for the wikipedia link about Lorelai, I'm getting more and more curious about the details of her power or presence. Is she simply a siren, or is there more to it than that?

Her singing about water rising and 'drowning in a person', and the sudden water-related hallucinations (The cup in http://www.wildelifecomic.com/comic/374 and the nightmare) are obviously linked, but what about Oscar's missing hours where he went from morning to mid-afternoon? And perhaps it's just me but I don't feel like he's being depicted as all that 'infatuated' with her as much as she's showing obvious interest in him and he's reciprocating it, which is FAR less obsessive than Siren's Songs are usually depicted in mythology.

Cat Mattress posted:

The next chapter of Wilde Life: Oscar finds that Podunk is oddly deserted, despite all the efforts apparently made to attract tourists, like this whole statue park that appeared. He goes on a date with the attractive girl at the park's entrance booth, a goth chick with a pet snake, named Maddie Ouza.

gently caress. It took me longer than I'd liked to make the connection there. I need to read more mythology and less sci-fi.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 4, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Every time I go back to re-read it I'm always amazed by how good it is. And I find little details I missed before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Decided to get caught up on Astral Aves after not reading for like a year or so.

Is it me or does Astra look really tired recently? I think I understand the look the Author's going for (Making her more and more like her dad) but it just makes her look like she really needs a nap.

• Locked thread