Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

If people disable web search maybe don't send their loving start searches?

Not trying to defend MS for the other stuff, but it doesn't do this.

article posted:

"No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device." This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted)[...]

astral fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

YouTuber posted:

gently caress this is bullshit. I suppose Automatic Update started running and botched the job on startup. So now when I reboot I get this idiotic error message "We're collecting information" that gets to 100% and sits there. Error code is 0xc000021a which corroborates my Automatic Update failure hypothesis. Trying sfc /scannow in command line just spews out bullshit about how a prior process is pending. Am I hosed and forced to format this bullshit? I don't own a Win10 cd or anything.

If you need Win10 media, you can get the ISOs from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO as long as your user agent isn't win7~8.1, in which case you can just download the media creation tool and have it download the ISOs or make a bootable USB drive for you.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Wait what the gently caress? I had to entirely format and reinstall on my SSD to fix the failed update. Using the revert to factory defaults poo poo even with a USB copy of Win10 loaded wasn't working, kept getting stuck at 10%. Now Windows is barking about not being activated. What the gently caress is the entire point of the Microsoft account if it's not retaining simple poo poo like the fact I activated?

Is this a loving joke? I have to install Windows 7 patch the gently caress out of then install Windows 10 from that? Why can't I just give the Windows 7 cd key and Microsoft says yep thats legit and activate? This is loving obtuse as poo poo.

You have to do a successful upgrade for it to register your hardware ID for automatic future activation.

The good news is you don't have to fully patch Win7; install it without letting the installer do any updates. Make sure Win7 shows as activated, then either run the media creation tool or pop in the Win10 media to do the upgrade.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Chuu posted:

I screwed up. Installed a technet edition of Windows 8 in Hyper-V, upgraded to Windows 10. Wrote down the 'new' key and deleted the image.

Tried installing Windows 10 from scratch, but now neither the Windows 8 key or the 'new' Windows 10 key work.

How do I fix this?

Make sure you're using 1511 media, then clean install 10 using the 8 key.

You don't get a product key from upgrading, by the way. That activation uses a generic key and is tied to your hardware ID.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pandaK posted:

FFDSHOW didn't do anything, Chromium indeed has the same issues as Firefox.

That's like the first thing I did, which didn't work.

The linked media feature pack was for build 10240. You need this one instead if you have the November update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49919

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Intel Rapid Storage Technology should remove them from that list, too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DeaconBlues posted:

Is there a trusted source for the SHA1 checksum of the November 1511 ISO's?

It's so much easier and quicker to get an ISO over bittorrent and then check it hasn't been altered before use.

DeaconBlues posted:

My daily OS is Linux. I could fire up a windows VM I suppose.

Edit: Some checksums in this post, for the threshold 2 (1511 editions):

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/downloads/161880-windows-10-threshold-2-iso-links.html#post1385719

If you go to the media creation tool page on anything other than Win7-10 you can download the 1511 ISO directly from MS. And if you are on Win7-10, you can just fake your user agent.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

This is what I was thinking. How the hell did they end up with over 180GB of temp files :psyduck:

180's pretty high, but I once saw razer's lovely software generate and not clean up ~10gb of temp files before so I'm willing to believe there are even worse devs out there.

My first guess would be a windows.old folder though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tater_salad posted:

So I'm trying to use windows 10 backup feature and back up to my other "server" pc.
When I point backup to the drive and click backup now t works for 10 seconds then the control panel crashes out.

Is there anythign i can try to fix it? what is the best 3rd party solution?

I'm a fan of Veeam's free endpoint backup: https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/05/05/windows-10-now-on-300-million-active-devices-free-upgrade-offer-to-end-soon/

quote:

The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 was a first for Microsoft, helping people upgrade faster than ever before. And time is running out. The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 and we want to make sure you don’t miss out. After July 29th, you’ll be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/29/windows-10-anniversary-update-available-august-2/

quote:

Today we’re excited to announce the next major update to Windows 10 – the Windows 10 Anniversary Update – is coming on August 2.

quote:

To celebrate, we’d like to make it easy for everyone to enjoy the great new features in the Anniversary Update. Our free Windows 10 upgrade offer is available until July 29

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Aranan posted:

Is there any reason for me to make a Microsoft account vs just using local accounts? I do not have a windows phone or xbox, I do not use the contacts in Windows, and Cortana does not seem like something I would ever use either.

with the anniversary update, they will link digital entitlements to ms accounts.

this enables people to reactivate via a new activation troubleshooter if they make hardware changes that cause activation issues

quote:

Activation Improvements: We’ve received feedback from Windows Insiders who have run into activation issues on Genuine Windows devices after making changes to device hardware such as replacing a hard drive or motherboard. As part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and starting with this Insider Preview build, we’re introducing the Activation Troubleshooter that will help you address most commonly encountered activation issues on Genuine Windows devices including those caused by hardware changes. For example – if your device has a digital license (formerly called “digital entitlement”) for Windows 10 Pro from a previously installed activated Windows 10 build but you accidentally re-installed Windows 10 Home on such a device, the troubleshooter will automatically guide you through upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and activate Windows. You can launch the troubleshooter by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and select Troubleshoot. Remember, Windows 10 Insider Preview builds are intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices.

Based on Insider feedback, we are also introducing the ability to link your Microsoft account (MSA) to the activation digital license with this Insider Preview build. If you already used an MSA to log in to your activated Windows 10 Home or Pro device, your MSA will be automatically linked. You can use this MSA linked digital license to re-activate your Genuine Windows 10 device by running the Activation troubleshooter, if you run into Activation issues caused by hardware changes.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Golbez posted:

My wife's computer is running Windows 7 and is being very, very slow. I'd love to reformat it but that's not an option (need some work software for a few weeks that we don't have the disk for at the moment).

Also, updating Windows doesn't seem to work. It stops forever on the update.

What I'd like to do is get Windows 10 on it, but I doubt that can happen when it's so broken on updates.

You could also try using the media creation tool to create media to upgrade with, if you haven't.

astral fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 3, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

Ugh, I did my windows 7 to 10 upgrade a while back, then significantly upgraded my hardware and it refuses to activate for that reason, is there any way to get a new 10 key or am I SOL? Don't really have another $120 or $200 to drop right now.

Did you already try doing "Change product key" and entering your 7 key?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

I'm not even sure I can find it anymore. :(

If not, do you still have the old hardware? You could probably then go back to the old hardware and make sure you have a MS account login to your computer. Then when the anniversary edition hits on August 2, update and it'll automatically link your digital entitlement to that MS account. Then, swap back to the new hardware and run the new-in-the-anniversary-edition activation troubleshooter. Theoretically that will let you re-activate across some hardware changes that aren't just automatically accepted.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

I technically do, but man, I upgraded in the first place because that hardware was old and slow and busted. I guess I can suffer through it for a few days.

It's not a guarantee, but if you can't find the old product key or swing the cost of a new license it's probably your best chance. Good luck!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Actually one other option is you could try contacting their activation support - does windows offer you a phone number to call or anything in Settings -> Update & security -> Activation? Otherwise you could try the "Contact Support" app.

Deviant posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-License-KEY-/dp/B01E7GLANS Any reason I can't do soemthing like this and go with a fresh 7->10? Or is there some way I can put a new 7 key into my existing 10 installation?

You could, but that's probably grey market territory. And yeah, you can 'change product key' 10 to a valid w7 or w8 key to get a digital entitlement, though I had mixed luck with this (one of my w7 keys just wasn't recognized).

astral fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 24, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

Well, I got a fresh windows 7 key. So now I have to go

Clean install 7 -> Activate 7 -> Upgrade to 10 -> Get my 10 key from my 10 install, and this should set a digital entitlement onto my Microsoft account for the current hardware? -> Clean install 10 without key, will pull existing entitlement from my microsoft account?

Am I understanding this right?

Did you try to do "change product key" on 10 with the new 7 key yet? That should grant the digital entitlement.

Also note that the digital entitlements linking to MS accounts will be a new thing in the anniversary edition.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

Entered my new 7 Pro Key, "Windows 7 Professional 32/64 Bit License KEY-for 1 PC (OEM)"

I have a USB of 7 and 10 each on my desk here, not sure what else I could do short of a full reinstall.

The error on the left seems to be associated with a failure to activate against a KMS server. The error on the right is associated with an edition mismatch between what you have installed and what you're trying to activate.

Also forgot to point out that in the free upgrade program there is no windows 10 "key", it's just a digital entitlement. Yeah, you can get a key with a keyfinder tool, but it's more or less a generic key that say "Look for a digital entitlement!". Once windows 10 is properly activated and the entitlement is granted, future installs on the same hardware are done without entering any key.

If you've got everything backed up and are willing to do a clean install, I'd first recommend trying to clean install 10 using the 7 key. If that fails, you can still clean install 7 and do the upgrade that way.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MeKeV posted:

I did an inplace upgrade from 7 to 10 and all worked in the end, but for a while the install was freezing at the "Getting Updates" stage.
As one of the trouble shooting steps for this I disabled all of my startup items while still in windows 7 via msconfig. Once in 10 there seems to be no way of re-enabling them?

They dont show up at all in Task Manager/StartUp.
They show in the registry in under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run, but not Current User

And they show in CCLeaner, but enable/disable doesnt do either.

Will I just have to re-setup each one, one by one?

Try Autoruns if you haven't.

Commander Keenan posted:

How's the dark theme in the Anniversary Update? Does it change Explorer/Win32 UI or is it a UWP-only thing?

AFAIK it's UWP only. But they did say they were working on a new modern File Explorer, so we should all be scared.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I also have two unused W7P x86 keys, but presumably those won't work to activate 64-bit windows 10.

Did you try changing the product key to those?

W7 product keys keys weren't tied to a specific architecture.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Tried the 32-bit keys, had exactly the same failure. I'm just going to do a clean install of win 7 and then upgrade in place.

Same advice for you as I had for Deviant in that situation, then:

astral posted:

If you've got everything backed up and are willing to do a clean install, I'd first recommend trying to clean install 10 using the 7 key. If that fails, you can still clean install 7 and do the upgrade that way.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Jesus goatfucking christ, upgrading my desktop went better than I expected computer surgery to go when MS is involved but my wife's is more than making up for it.

With Win10 not accepting my Win7 key, I ended up:
- creating a win7 install USB
- creating a win7 install DVD because the USB wouldn't boot on that computer (but would on others!), and installing win7 from that
- downloading the network drivers on a separate machine and carrying them over on USB
- installing windows updates until I got to the update that causes windows update to stop working entirely
- installing Chrome because the windows update manual download site doesn't work in IE
- downloading and installing the update that fixes windows update
- installing even more updates

At this point it's running W7 SP1 and is probably ready to be upgraded to Win10, but there was another batch of updates available, so I decided to install those first just to be safe. Ha ha ha. Now the system no longer boots -- in pure UEFI mode it doesn't produce any output, in UEFI+legacy mode it tells me to "insert correct boot media and press any key to reboot". Booting from the windows 7 DVD and telling it to repair startup tells me it can't find any problems. Rolling back to the system restore point made before those updates were installed works fine, but doesn't actually get it to boot.

I'm turning the USB key back into win10 install media to see if I can do an upgrade in place using it, but if not I guess I get to install win7 again and hope that the win10 upgrade becomes available before it gets to the update that apparently breaks everything.

As soon as w7 is installed (and activated) on there you can pop in the windows 10 media to upgrade. No need to update the 7 install beforehand beyond whatever's necessary to activate, like the network drivers.

Hope it works out for you!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I thought you had to update to W7 SP1 before you could update to W10?

I don't believe so, but I don't have any non-SP1 win7 media to test with. Maybe it was required for the GWX (annoying tray icon) thing to work, but you don't need GWX to do the upgrade; just put the win10 media in while running your (activated) w7 and launch setup.exe.

If it does require SP1, at least it only takes a minute to check beforehand.

e: clarity

astral fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 29, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pmchem posted:

Do Russian cloud ISO links come with FSB malware built-in, or is there a SHA256 we can compare to a legit microsoft-hosted ISO?

Volume licensing images don't have posted hashes that consumers can check. I'd wait for something more official just to be on the safe side.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

If I wanted to do a Fresh install of W10 on a new SSD via USB. is my protduct key from my current W10 attached to my microsoft log in name, or do I have to hunt through my PC for the key?

It won't be attached to your MS account until you've upgraded to the Anniversary Edition (if you were logging into your computer with an MS account, this will be done automatically when you install Anniversary Edition).

Is your license a digital entitlement (i.e. a free upgrade type install)? If so, you don't have a new product key for win10 - just leave that blank when installing on the SSD. If the hardware isn't otherwise changing significantly, it should activate without issue.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Inverness posted:

Have they fixed the dumb Windows 10 activation nonsense? I want to activate it using my retail Windows 8.1 Pro license.

It was originally activated that way but a motherboard upgrade broke it.

Re-installing Windows 8.1 to do the upgrade thing has been always been a non-starter even before that offer ended.

Activating 10 with a valid 8.1 key was working for about 9 months! However, now that the free upgrade period is over...

e: They're also adding an activation troubleshooter in the anniversary update that can help resolve activation issues. If you have a valid digital entitlement and an MS account login before the upgrade, it'll be linked to your MS account afterwards which can even reactivate after significant hardware changes.

e2: clarity

astral fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 2, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looks like the ISOs and Media Creation Tool have updated to 1607 images:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO (non-windows or pre-w7 windows can get ISOs)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (all others get the MCT)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Since some people were curious: I upgraded from 1511 to 1607 via the ISO from the MS site I linked a couple posts up (mounted it and ran setup.exe) and didn't get candy crush etc re-added to my start menu.

Using Pro, already had set the option to not show me suggestions and whatever, also had set the policy that no longer is going to work on Pro.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My favorite anniversary edition feature/fix so far: from the Store's list of apps that have available updates, you can now click on an app in that list to go to its page and see what changed.

Also, from the Store's "My Library" page, you can now hide apps from the library.

SinineSiil posted:

I didn't get Candy Crush, but I did get Microsoft Solitaire Collection back. Also the "Get fun facts, tips and more" setting had flipped.

Looks like I did get Solitaire back, unless I'd just forgotten to uninstall it before. I believe the tips setting may have stayed off for me, but I don't remember 100%. Definitely would recommend people check.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 2, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Just updated - it bricked my laptop.

Went to bed when the blue screen said "your computer will restart multiple times" and it was at like 50% completed, just woke up and it's an endless black screen with a circle animation at the bottom.

Tried a hard restart - just ends up back at the black screen with the circle.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Can always pop in your windows 10 media and see if a repair fixes things.

hooah posted:

I tried setting a random USB stick to G, but it wasn't an available letter.

Probably this:

Arsten posted:

Do you have a media card reader or something? Those reserve drive letters but don't actually show up until you cram something in them.

That behavior is modified by the "Hide Empty Drives" setting in explorer's view options.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

I bought the laptop from NewEgg, and it came with 2 partitions - Windows 7 on one, and a Windows 7 recovery partition on the other. I updated the Windows 7 partition to Windows 10 a couple months ago without problems.

I left this morning after starting the update again, and I came home 12 hours later and it was back at the black screen with a spinning circle. So after a couple hard reboots, it automatically recovered my previous WIndows 10 installation and I'm back in business. I disabled the WIndows Update service for the time being.

I'm guessing the problem is related to me still having the WIndows 7 recovery partition? Should I just get rid of that and try the Anniversary update again?

Right now I'm just gunning on them putting out a corrected update in a month or so.

How big is the 7 recovery partition? If it's one of the 300-500 megabyte ones, I'd leave it be.

You can see if something stands out from the upgrade error log - setuperr.log should be in C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\

If you have the time to spare and want to try again, I'd recommend downloading a fresh copy of the Media Creation Tool to make some install media (DVD or USB drive), then run setup.exe off the install media from within windows 10.

e: I'd also recommend sticking around to see if something along the line was waiting for some kind of user interaction - a family member's computer had a Razer "Why don't you have our Synapse 2.0 software installed? Are you sure you don't want it?" popup above the upgrade window that wanted attention. I didn't wait around to see if that would have been enough to interrupt the upgrade though.

astral fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 4, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

...just looked and it's gone :psyduck:

Found it -

I'm no expert with these errors, but the things that stick out to me the most are the missing files in the upgrade directory - definitely still lean towards using the MCT-created media (and let the upgrade installer get updates) to try the upgrade.

ItBurns posted:

Goons violently defended the windows 8 start screen even in its initial idiot form because the start screen was the future and it was easier to use and faster and the start menu was outdated and pc-centric so you should just get over the fact that the start menu was gone (and good riddens!) instead of being a basement troglodyte that can't spend 2 seconds adapting to a human-centric modern UI.

And yet here we are in 2016 with what is essentially an embarrassingly corny TRON version of the windows 2000 start menu with any semblance of functionality removed.

Let's not get into the fact that the windows 10 Happy-Birthday-Edition update which totally isn't a service pack used all of the controversial telemetry that they've collected to decide that what people are really hyped about is cortanaTM, edge, and stylus support for all 9 people that have purchased a Surface recently enough that they still think having a stylus is a good idea. loving stylus support. This is what happens when you don't enable 'Enhanced' telemetry and microsoft pretends that they have more than 0.04% of the mobile market.

In the end I think windows 10 is great. It didn't break my computer and it runs all of the important windows programs apps I have installed like Battlefield 4, Overwatch, and other games that don't run well on GNU/Linux (all of them). Sure, it records every single thing you do, but if microsoft's advertising partners want to know that I played Minecraft for 19 hours straight then they deserve it for making a fantastic and free OS for me to play DX12 games on.

Some say the art of the fakepost is dead, but I disagree; it's alive and well right here in the Windows 10 thread. :golfclap:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

Is there a quick and easy way to stop 10 from asking for a password from the start screen? I thought I'd found one, clicking on a box marked to the effect of 'don't ask for passwords for this account', but that seems to have created a second account that he seems to have logged himself into because one is 'blah' and the other is 'blah@outlook', and now he can't find any of the files he swore weren't actually important.

was that via win+r control userpasswords2 or some other method?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

I don't run the Netflix app in fullscreen.

I usually use Edge for Netflix, but I just checked and the Netflix app doesn't pause for me when I alt-tab - is there something specific you're alt-tabbing to when this happens? My netflix App version: 6.11.33 according to its settings.

Does it also happen if you use Edge or IE11 for playback instead?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Maleh-Vor posted:

It's on. I have a radeon HD5850. This rig runs every last-gen game at 45-60 fps with maxed settings, and current-gen games at 30-45 with mid-high settings. I'm baffled that these streams worked perfectly at 60fps 2 weeks ago before I upgraded to Win10, yet now it sounds like my pc is actively working, which is not something I hear very often, not even running photoshop or gaming.

I tried using Edge and Firefox. Edge is about the same, Firefox is way worse.

Another wierd thing is Vimeo videos at 1080p60 work just fine. Youtube ones start out fine, then about 2 seconds in the framerate goes to hell.

Check your power settings - see if switching to a performance-type setting fixes things.

e: graphics card power settings first, then system power settings if that doesn't fix it

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Morter posted:

So is there no way to search for exact phrases in text files? Putting things in quotes doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore :(

make sure you have the folder they're in set to index file contents (folder properties->general->advanced)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PaulC posted:

I don't want windows 10 to ever restart unless I click on the button that says "restart." And I don't have gpedit.

At this point I feel like the only way to get what I want is
-At 1:00 AM, automatically set my windows update "active hours" from 1 AM-1 PM
-At 1:00 PM, automatically set my "active hours" from 1 PM-1 AM

Is there a simple way to do this?

Click "restart" more often.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PaulC posted:

Not sure how that would have prevented the PC from checking for updates at 4 AM, finding some, and then instantly restarting my computer in the middle of a download. But thanks for your contribution

You're very welcome! If you want a more complicated fix, a quick internet search comes up with some tweaks you can try with scheduled tasks & relevant files: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-permanently-stop-windows-10-reboots-after-installing-updates/ :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A similar (Logitech) usb mic volume thing happened to me back in the time of Windows 7. Switching it to a different USB port may have restored full volume to it for a while, but I couldn't reproduce that when it eventually happened again. :iiam: