Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hello LOTRO goons.

I was thinking of giving this game a try what with the free giveaways and was wondering if there were any downsides in playing it through Steam instead of its standalone launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Lum_ posted:

You have to pay for lotrobux through Steam instead of directly, which may or may not be an issue for you.

I've discovered this is not true, or at least, no longer the case. The LOTRO Store opens to an external browser now instead of in game when playing via Steam to avoid some sort of problem with transactions via the Steam Wallet.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Update_27.3.2_-_September_3,_2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finished the Race of Man intro and starting writing a little journal from my character's pov about what's happening.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm also on the 64-bit client and the game was freezing and lagging really bad in the Archet region when I was trying out different classes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

Was this on Landroval in the late afternoon to evening in the US? I've noticed some lag during those times, but it falls off outside of primetime.

Of course, "just play at a time that is probably less convenient for you" isn't a particularly helpful response and is treating the symptoms rather than the disease.

Might have been. That was a week ago. I finished up in Combe and made it down to Staddle today and a few hours ago and things were smooth.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?692193-Bullroarer-Update-32-Beta-4-OPEN

quote:

Class, Race, and Virtue trait slots will now automatically unlock when a character hits the required level, regardless of subscription status or purchase. This does not apply to monster play characters.

This seems like a big change.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?692193-Bullroarer-Update-32-Beta-7-OPEN

quote:

• The Gold restriction has been removed from free and premium accounts. All account types can now have a maximum of 9999 Gold without purchase of the Currency Cap.
  • The benefits of the Premium Wallet Upgrade have now been applied to all accounts. The widest possible assortment of barter currencies, including a variety of instance tokens, region barter tokens, festival tokens, taxidermy barter items, and crafting instance tokens, will now automatically go into the barter wallet for all characters on all accounts.

Oh hey, some more qol for the non-sub accounts.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I learned to my consternation that there's a daily limit on the advancement of class deeds. That's a frustrating "feature". I thought the UI tracker had bugged out before I searched and discovered the cause.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

Usually about 1/5th or 1/10th of the total. If you really want to knock them out quickly, there's a buff you can buy from the cash shop that removes the cap and makes all skill uses (and kills for slayer deeds) count double for 90 minutes.

I almost have enough points to unlock Rune Keeper, so I'll just deal with it. It just really frustrated me yesterday because I was very close to completing one when I hit the limit.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

If you haven't already bought the Moria quest pack (normally 1495 points) as a standalone item, you should consider earning or buying enough points to just get the Moria expansion (2495 points). You get both RK and Warden for "free" that way, along with some other stuff.

I double checked the store and I picked up the Moria quest pack for 99 points along with all the other expansion quest packs when they were running that big quest pack give away/sale.

edit: I'd like to have a High Elf Rune-keeper. If there's a better way than buying those two directly for 1795 points let me know!

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 21, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Oh that is some good news!

I'll have find something else to buy with all these points I was saving up for a High Elf Rune-Keeper.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

ESO's sub fee has the powerful hook of giving you an infinite bag for all your crafting stuff. LOTRO should steal that outright for its VIPs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

My Hunter also made it to the end of the Inn of the Forsaken and got wrecked by the final boss.

That's when I decided no more instances.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've been taking a lot of (mostly) landscape screenshots. I really enjoy the aesthetic of the game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Aragorn sent me to Evendim to get something to help reforge Narsil and the views from the coast are beautiful.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It's a real good thing Hunters can teleport to campfires because Goblintown sure is a pain to navigate through.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 12, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I just tried to login, but I see they brought the servers down thirty minutes ago, because every Runekeeper has lost their satchels.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Witeldram posted:

Did they buff Minstrel sometime in the past year? I feel like they're a bit tankier since the last time I played.

The buffed them in this latest patch.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

New Producer Letter.

Biggest thing is expanded class choice for races coming in September.

Dwarfs and Stout-axes get Captain and Wardens.
Elves and High Elves get Burglar.
Hobbits get Lore-master and Champion.
Humans get Rune-keepers.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Truga posted:

wait, which other mmo on the market doesn't let you get quest kill credits or click on quest npcs just because you're in a raid group? that just sounds incredibly stupid

WoW doesn't allow this unless they are specifically raid quests.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Big change coming to Minstrel.

The Yellow specialization (which is a buffer spec) is being turned into a passive tree. The devs say it is mostly being used to buff parties pre-pull and then Minstrels switch over to Blue or Red for the actual fight.

This is how Brawler's (the newest class) Yellow line also works. As a passive tree where you can select traits and/or skills to bolster the Red and Blue specs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finished Book 13 of Volume 1 and Forochel was by a wide margin the worse zone so far.

The zone is ugly too so I couldn't even enjoy the scenery while riding back and forth.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

quote:

-The quest, 'A Little Extra Never Hurts -- Part 2' now grants the Riding Skill and A Little Extra Mount instead of a Battered Horn of Disruption. While 'A Little Extra Never Hurts -- Part 1' can only be completed once per world, A Little Extra Never Hurts -- Part 2 can now be completed on every new character in the Archet, Ered Luin, or Mossward starting character areas.
-A Little Extra Mount can also be acquired from Mithril Traders in Archet, Celondim, Little Delving, and Thorin's Gates.

Oh hey everyone gets Riding Skill and a mount at the end of their prologues instead of at level 20 or paying for one!

Except for High Elf, Beorning, and Stout-axe Dwarf for some reason?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finally finished all the books of Volume I and was very happy to see in Book 15 they just teleport you around instead having to travel across two zones to talk to one NPC and then all the way back to the one who sent you there.

I've finished the Prologue and Book 1 of Volume II too, so I've unlocked legendary weapons and the Reward Track. Hunter's teleporting skills has been very nice, but I haven't really enjoyed playing it.

I'm thinking of rolling a melee character. I've always enjoyed melee more than ranged classes. Since I stuck to the base game's leveling path the first time. I plan to wait for the new starting zones in the upcoming expansion and go through the alternative leveling zones that have been added to see what I've missed.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The boulder should stay.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Hello I have a modern as poo poo computer and this game doesn't seem to like that, is there any guide for the best graphics/ performance specs available?

Should I bother with the 64 bit client?

Definitely use the 64-bit client.

The 32-bit is gone in less than 60 days and some things don't work on it.

quote:

We will begin the process of ending support for the 32-bit versions of the game client for The Lord of the Rings Online on May 18th, 2022. The 32-bit clients will continue to be supported until January 1st, 2023. In the meantime, some features may not work fully on the 32-bit clients. We recommend all players change their settings in the game launch to switch to the 64-bit game client. This is done by pressing the down arrow button at the top of the launcher, then selecting Options.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

There's no way to hide or resize the questing box on the map screen without also hiding the quest markers right?

I ask because them bumping the size to account for increase of tracked quests has made it cover even more of the map and it feels in the way.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Pryce posted:

Expansions that you still have to purchase are here (everything else is folded into VIP, I think):
https://www.lotro.com/expansions#PreviousExpansions
  • Mordor
  • Minas Morgul
  • War of Three Peaks
  • Fate of Gundabad
  • Before the Shadow

While they can still be purchased. Mordor, Minas Morgul, and War of Three Peaks come with VIP now.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've finished the Epic Quests that were added when Mines of Moria were launched.

I had good time overall and I think Moria is the best underground zone I've seen in the MMO. Although I have two complaints.

The first was the required Skirmish instances on the Epic Quest line. I had ignored this feature and when I got to the first of the required three; I had to backtrack to a different outpost to run through the intro tutorial. It would have been better to make this mandatory at some point while questing through Bree or place a skirmish camp in the area where we are first sent to to do it in Moria.

The second is the questing in the Lothlórien zone. The zone quests here felt really repetitive since it was much more notable that you're being sent back to the same four areas where the Orcs are.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe buy a month of premium just to unlock stuff like riding and the extra inventory bags, and buy the premium wallet if they're having fun since it's extremely convenient.

Riding is free now and gets given from one of the tutorial quests that introduces you to the LOTRO Store as of Patch 34.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Cutedge posted:

https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-letter-2023-en

New expansion in q4. New zone, increased level cap and new class (!!)
New instance cluster sometime in next 2 or 3 months
Landscape updates throughout the year (no idea what this means. cleaning up quests? graphics updates?)
Class updates throughout the year
Crafting updates throughout the year
Reworking how the Power attribute works
Monster play events and updates

Man I need to jump back into LOTRO again

They had a Q&A stream too with some additional information.

• River Hobbits this year (but may get bumped back by other projects)

• Landscape difficulty slider for regular servers.

• A two-factor authentication launcher.

• More avatar options for the race of Man and perhaps others.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The latest PTR update has an expanded ranged of customization for the Race of Men.

quote:

LOTRO is celebrating the uniqueness of every player!
Our latest update celebrates individuality with additional character customization options for the Race of Men (humans) that let players express themselves in new ways. We want to make as many players feel represented in the game as possible, and we are introducing new character creation options for your face, hair, and body! We know there is more work to do to offer a wider variety of character creation options, and we will be following up this release with additional options in the future.

Here are some things to know:
  • Your existing characters remain mostly unchanged, although we have updated some textures to improve their look.
  • There are now more shared options between genders, including hair and beard styles where applicable.
  • The body proportion range has been increased.
  • These new options are also available at the Barber for access to existing characters.

Here's a video of someone showing some of new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIGg9Y5R8_E

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

I was going to laugh because LOTRO doesn't have a population, but if this website is to be trusted, there are 30k very dedicated people to the game.
https://mmo-population.com/about/

quote:

It's virtually impossible to work out accurate subscriber counts for MMOs today, and this site cannot do that. However, there does exist a need for people to be able to gauge the activity, growth, decline, and popularity of MMOs.

So, we do it based on reddit subscriber information. We track the current subscribers, active users and history of both. This helps you to choose an MMO that has the required "activity" you'd like to see, or perhaps you are just interested.

Seems like a pretty bad metric. They have FFXIV at 42 million total players when SE's stated number of total accounts is 27 million.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I took a little brake, but am now questing through Lothlórien and it is such a pretty zone.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 19, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've made it to Southern Mirkwood and I like how grim and dreary this zone is. It's a nice contrast to bright and lovely Lothlórien.

I do wonder why weapons are still offered as quest rewards. I feel Legendary weapons make such rewards obsolete.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Update 37 beta #2 is up.

Lyndelby Housing and River-hobbits are in now. It appears River-hobbits won't have a unique prologue, but begin in starter quests added in Before the Shadow. Unlike their cousins. They were boots.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The new store design is coming on the 2nd of August.

I only really care about this because they listed the priority/timeline of overhauls on one of the streams as the online store, then a new launcher, two-factor authentication, and finally 4k updates.

So one step closer to that sweet 4k.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised they’re taking a page from WoW here and keeping this as a generic starter area for any new races added later on. Don’t think we’ll see any new prologues moving forward, that would at least make sense from a design perspective.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if you created a River-hobbit but didn’t own BtS?

Guess people didn't like that, so this dev made a little starting intro for them before they head off to Mossward.

https://forums.lotro.com/index.php?threads/update-37-river-hobbits.2135/page-21#post-22071

quote:

So here's the thing: I think the years of interest in playable River-hobbits made us overestimate how much players would want to come up with their own backstories for their new hobbits. As a result, the plan had been for River-hobbits to arrive at Mossward with their histories a blank slate - you could decide for yourself what brought you to Mossward and the adventuring life. Turns out that was unpopular! So I burned some midnight oil and made a new introduction for River-hobbits. You can still get the original vision for River-hobbits by selecting 'Before the Shadow' at character creation, and you'll play through 'Mossward, the Border Village.' Otherwise, by default (or by choosing 'Shadows of Angmar'), your new River-hobbit will play through my new introduction 'Humble Beginnings,' which provides you with some more backstory and explains how you came to be at Mossward. So you can pick the starting instance you prefer, and whichever one you choose you'll still end up in Mossward after the Uruk attack, ready to start your adventures.

On a different not. I'm very happy with how I got the look of this character.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I just learned there's an add on that puts all your travel skills into one window and it has cleared up so many buttons on my hotbars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

Been a while since I did Moria, but can’t you start those skirmishes from the instance finder panel?

Ineptitude, like me, might have skipped doing the skirmishes until that moment.

I remember posting that I had to run back to Skirmish camp in the hall and then back to the first NPC because I hadn't done any skirmishes yet. I don't remember if I had to for the rest.