Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Even though all logic and reason tells me that Biden won't run (and I have plenty of cash in it that he won't), the thing keeping me from putting more in is just the sheer belief of the other people/media that he will. I will feel quite the fool if they, somehow, turn out right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Pretty much in the same boat, except:

I'm at about 600 shares so I'm not much better. At least we have accepted the possibility of disaster :negative:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We all love the Biden insanity, but can any of you imagine just how beautiful it would be if Trump made the general? It would be unskewed polling times 1000, and so many die-hard believers pouring their fortune into the market as the polls show him down by 7 points.

...Then we all collectively weep when he, somehow, wins :negative:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

The power of the media

I'm in the Biden NO camp and I'm still nervous too. Not going to sell my shares or anything, but really hoping he doesn't do some dumb desperation run just because so many people want him to.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At least if I go down, some of you are going down way harder. Biden no all the way!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

Everything will be alright no matter what.

We say this now, but when Biden announces his doomed candidacy eventually, we will all be panicking and cursing.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I still wonder whether Joe really was indecisive and realized it was pointless, or if it was coordinated that he'd hold out just in case Hillary faltered, and finally figured the media speculation was going to end the charade anyway.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Just realized that even though I have shares on Bernie winning the democrat nomination I hadn't bet against Hillary. Decided to double down on losing money :getin:

Also threw money towards O'Malley getting veep, I think getting lucky on Biden has made me a little cocky.

This thread's been pretty cavalier about betting with risky things like the Biden market, but putting money on Bernie/against Hillary is just throwing your money away.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now that Biden is basically set, what's the incentive for selling no at .97 instead of just waiting for it to resolve at 1?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

So what did people pick up for the CNBC debate shares? I decided to grab some Rubio.No, they were the cheapest and I honestly can't see CNBC declaring him the winner.

The debate stuff is too risky for me. It's hard to tell who is actually going to do well - maybe the safest bet would be to declare trump the loser simply because he's already the frontrunner, but even that's not a sure thing.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Picked up a small amount of Webb No at 66c, hoping to ride the Goon Consensus.

pathetic little tramp posted:

When would that close? I mean, he can decide to run again at any point right? Are we looking at Dec. 31 2015?

Read the rules! It says that he would have to amend his candidacy or file new papers as an independent, as opposed to his current status as a Democrat (which he has since announced he will not be pursuing).

The logic behind him not bothering an independent bid is kind of the same as Biden not running - there's no real point, no basis of support, and he'll just quit that before long too. It's really whether you think he'll bother with a vanity run, or if he was just saving face during his announcement dropping from the Dem primary.

EDIT: I have shares in Webb not running as an independent, but not going all in like for Biden.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I'm real tempted to buy a bunch of JEB! Yes in Next To Drop Out after that debate. However as a registered Democrat that may bet me a big wet kiss from him for cutting my losses.

I'm really skeptical that Bush drops out soon. His name recognition keeps him at a few percent no matter how horrible he is, and his money and donor groups will keep him in at least until he loses Iowa and NH.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can we just add a big bolded DONT PLAY THE POLL MARKETS to the OP?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

Big Ben just had a really bad press conference so it might be a good opportunity to take advantage of some swings in various markets against him

I violated the sacred rule of do not play polls by buying some NO for him to be above the 22% threshold. His peak is clearly here, or at least, will have peaked by the end of the month and he should decline as Trump, Rubio, and others pick up the rest.

I know people say the base won't care about the absurd poo poo that he's saying, and if it were him running against a democrat, you're right. But this sorts of bizarre revelations and inability to handle media scrutiny do hurt his ability to compete with other Republicans, and enough people will abandon him for a new flavor of the month (tm).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The stream of stupid poo poo has been pretty constant, its gotten him to frontrunner status, and most of his supporters are heavy listeners of talk radio. Until right wing radio turns against him it could go either way

You're not entirely wrong, but enough people will probably doubt his electability and flock back to Trump or to Rubio over the next few weeks. He's the flavor of the month and his peak has passed. Even if he keeps most of his support, going below 22 seems much more likely than staying where he is or getting better.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some online polls are starting to trickle in showing Carson down a bit, but he's been pretty quiet at the debate tonight. I'm feeling a bit better about my Carson.NO poll bets.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Crossposting this from the R thread:

"Rasmussen poll (taken on Wednesday and Thursday... They were really desperate to get results out). Caveats: A. This is Rassy's first poll since August so they might be rusty. B. Rassy was poo poo anyway.

Trump 27
Carson 20
Rubio 16
Cruz 13
Jeb! 8
Fiorina 4
Other 7
Undecided 5

We don't yet know how Other breaks down."

Yeah, Carson <22 should be a safe bet. My fear right now is that Trump attacking him might backfire to some sympathy, but I think ultimately he continues to slide.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Net effect is it's like Charlie Brown with the football. It always seems so attainable, even for Jeb! but always gets taken away last minute.

LA Governors race is making me nervous. Info seems to be all over the place with early voting, how many blacks, how many registered Dems. In a sane world the Paris bombings should have no effect, but listen to Vitter, JBE would be importing the entire country of Syria if you would let him. Then there was the Bevin's upset.

It's about 1/8th of my portfolio and the last few days it has been moving in the wrong direction. Not sure if I should be holding or buying more at these prices.

You're not wrong, but I wouldn't worry too much about Kentucky. There was very little good polling on kentucky, and a fair bit more for LA, so the polls are more meaningful. I didn't buy into Kentucky precisely because I saw absolutely no good polls that weren't months old.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It looks like RCP released some new polls, with good news for the Carson.NO 22% and Jeb! NO 7%. I'm looking to make another 300 bucks from that :getin:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

Also:

LINKED DEM PRIMARY MARKET- IT COMES :unsmigghh:

Can someone go over what this does to existing investments?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

Lot's of fun new markets just opened:
  • Will Donald Trump win any primaries or caucuses
  • Will Condoleezza Rice be nominated for VP
  • Who will win South Carolina
  • Who will win Nevada
  • :siren: Will Bush drop out before Iowa :siren:

These look cool, but I don't see any obvious winners other than maybe some NO's to Carson on some.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

Not sure how Rice's market will act but there's a 0% chance she'll accept the VP nom even if it's handed to her on a silver platter. It'll probably be low volume so something to keep an eye on in case some crazies latch onto it.

The Bush drop out market may get pretty silly as well because there's a growing consensus that he's going to drop out in order for the establishment to regroup behind Carson. Obviously this isn't going to happen so there may be some money to make there.

Also do the actual election markets count as polls? We're allowed to bet on those, right?

Good points, and it made me realize that one of the leaders in the GOP VP candidates is Kasich (though still only at 23%). Am I insane to think that Kasich is very, very unlikely to be a VP pick?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

I have put in a pretty decent amount of money on Vitter being elected tomorrow. I just have a terrible, terrible feeling that everything that's happened over the last week, combined with Bevin's win in KY is gonna drive people out.

Ehh, I've got money on Edwards and I don't think Vitter's going to pull it out. There were quite a few polls a week or two ago showing 15-20% leads for Edwards, and I don't think the Paris attacks will be sufficient to sway the electorate that much. Should be closer than 15-20, but Edwards seems to be benefiting from the Jindal hate.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I sold out of LA gov because I had a bunch of Dem.YES. I know I lose out on that last 5%, but I'd rather take 95% now than risk losing it in a Republican upset. Still think Edwards is gonna pull it out, but we'll see.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edwards' victory is good, and I think people overstated the Kentucky outcome since it had a real shortage of good polling going into election day. The LA race was way better polled, even with the last minute terrorist attacks to add some uncertainty.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

RCP dumped a few polls, so the current ones may stick around awhile.

My uncle who works at the RNC gave me a hot tip, though. Don't bet on polls.

Too late, making money on Ben Carson's bubble bursting :getin:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stop betting on polls!

Unless it's the carson.NO 22%, which has netted me another 250 dollars :smug:. Based Biden, your money grows!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm not gonna lie, Vitter losing really hurt me in the wallet area (though it's dulled by the fact that he's a shithead who lost, so woo), but a kind soul put up 500 shares of Carson winning the Iowa Primary for 10 cents a piece, which means that somewhere, the PredictIt gods are looking out for me, because that's basically as low as he's ever been, and he's the exact right type of religious shithead to win in Iowa. See: Huckabee, Mike or Santorum, Rick.

That's a great deal, but I really think Carson's time is eclipsing. I'd still take 500 shares at 10 cent just in case he ekes it out among the religious nuts, like you said, but I think it's about time Rubio or someone else became the flavor of the month (tm).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The TPP passage market is currently sitting at 40ish cents - does anyone else think this is a bit of a bargain? I know the candidates have all bitched about the TPP but there seems to be support between the monied interests and obama, and I have a hard time seeing this fail. Maybe the time limits the main factor here?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting my Biden money is really making me want to just cash out now, or at least wait until some Trumpmania creates sweeter markets.

That or just dump it all into Hillary for President :homebrew:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gibberish posted:

how much did you put in and get out for the biden thing?

Some people gamed it much better than me, but I put in ~400 and got over 1k out of it. Biden is a glorious man.

Most of my other investments have fizzled, and I've made only like 100 bucks at most from combined efforts elsewhere :(. I keep forgetting not to bet on polls :negative:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
North Korea is claiming h-bomb, I say ride it until the high 90's and sell in case it turns out to be a dud.

EDIT: Or whatever the peak ends up being

JosefStalinator has issued a correction as of 05:50 on Jan 6, 2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Way I see it: Bernie now, trump later. In terms of bilking partisans and taking advantage of their supporters' delusions.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I insane for wanting to park my Biden money on some sweet Bernie.NO for the Democratic nomination? How is it still so undervalued?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This owns. Biden be praised.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

I've deposited ~$1,000 and my total balance is now at $1,300. I think I'm probably one of the most conservative betters in this thread and a 30% return is pretty drat good.

I put in about 800 and am at about 1500 with lots in Hillary winning the nom (not Iowa, Dem Nom overall). Do we need to report this to the IRS?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah what the gently caress, I'm scooping up Yes shares now too. Is it cause it's a new market or do people really think Trump isn't full of poo poo 99% of the time?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

watwat posted:

That was me. Need to drive those Yes down as far as it can go so I can scoop em up. Got a big order at 15 I need filled.

:masterstroke:

Seriously though it'll swing back again with time.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol it's already back up to 21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

Can you guys link the markets that you're talking about sometimes? I want to be able to get in on this while I'm cruising down the freeway!!

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1957/Will-Donald-Trump-participate-in-the-first-tier-Fox-News-debate#data

A lot of us have made some quick bucks flipping no's and yes's.

• Locked thread