Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Betting on polls seems to be dicey, but I'm debating whether to buy NO for Bush cracking 10%. It seems like a coinflip that a new poll comes out by 9/30, and then another coin flip that the poll puts him over 10%.

Loving the Diamond Joe running for Prez by 12/31 No's and Trump running 3rd party by 12/31 No's though. Almost maxed out on both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Biden is being pushed by the media for horse race reasons. Mix that with name recognition and years of not being a target of anything but fun lovin' memes, and there ya go.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Max bet on Biden NO on the debate

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Seems like it's free money to take NO on the biggest loser of the debate, if you bet Chaffee, O Malley or Webb. They're barely above 0%, they have no room to fall. Like, Clinton or Sanders could decrease due to polling error and it's worse than their maximum fall.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Biden NO's on Debate Loser are still somehow for sale, despite him not being in the debate, and thus being an automatic win for NO.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Cashed out of all of my Biden No's to run. I still like it, but there's free money in the mean time. Hopefully some silly story comes out that gets people all riled up again.

Managed to snag 629 Biden debate win NO's for $0.97 and 879 debate lose No's for $0.97. Thanks for the free $45

I don't understand the O'Malley to win the debate market, dipped my toes in there too.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Necc0 posted:

So the market is saying Clinton will get the best bump but I still think the media will hype the gently caress out of O'Malley because of course they will. What say you, goons?

Maybe, but remember, the bet isn't anything to do with that, it's only about polls that come out between now and one week from now. That's not a ton of time. The effects of the debate may not even impact the polls that are released within a week. I think Sanders to "lose" is the smart bet because his 35% poll is coming off the books next.

Aliquid posted:

Unless you see a quick return on your other stuff, I think you made a mistake. A lot of Biden YES people were hedging on Hillary flaming out in the debate, and now that she's shown she's fine on stage it seems less likely he jumps in. Plus, the market will essentially close (or jump up to .80ish and stay there) on Halloween which isn't that far away, investment-wise.

edit: just checked and cha-ching

Bought around $0.40, sold around $0.55, I'm ok with that. That's almost 40% return on a max bet. Only have to wait a week for the debate stuff to close out, then I'll see where Biden is at again. I've got about half a max bet for Diamond Joe NO for the D Nom, so I'll be happy either way.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Aliquid posted:

Yeah, all this did was really calm my nerves and reassure myself since I'm at about 75% in on Biden NO now, average .41.

edit 75% of my portfolio, not 75% of $850. Yikes.

Cmon son, max bet that poo poo

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

EngineerSean posted:

Yeah I feel like I play this game a lot. For instance:

feels like an idiot when it's 60 six hours later

It's all good, no one ever went broke taking a profit.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Gimme dem Biden NO's under $50 :yum:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I am back to a Biden NO max bet :yum:

Looks pretty clear that Hillary will "win" the debate polling. Wish I put more in Bernie NO, but between that Bernie NO to win, and Webb/Chaffee/O'Malley NO to lose, I should make a nice profit. I have no idea what I'll plow that money into though.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

EngineerSean posted:

Looks like the debate poll market is turning on its head. Sell your Chafee NO for biggest loser shares!

drat, a Biden-less poll !

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Abel Wingnut posted:

what evidence?

I think he's saying that YES is at an all time high

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Abel Wingnut posted:

so RYANNO is looking good to me. thoughts?

Agreed. I've had a few hundred shares of NO at 60 for a week or so. With my Biden funds, I may max bet it, it should resolve (or close to it) by Friday

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
God dammit I wish I bought more Ryan NOs. hopefully it drops below 50 in the next day

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It sucks that my previous shares are worth so much less, but I will take 15% odds on Ryan NO. There's still plenty of time for fuckery IMO

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Well I sure hope for tea party shenanigans because I've got 1500 shares now 😉

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Remember that the "winner" has nothing to do with the debate.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Betting on Jeb! Bush's failure is the most satisfying bet I've ever made.

All kinds of Jeb NO's spread around. Plus, I made my first YES bet, for Jeb to drop out first, just because I wanted to specifically bet against Jeb. It's probably a poor bet at around 23, but I only bought 100, and Jesus will smile upon me for betting against Jeb.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm scooping up RNOM NO's on everyone who isn't Rubio/Trump/Cruz at this point. I've got something like 40% of my bankroll tied up in that market

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

nachos posted:

I think Carson NO is a good buy at 83 cents. He is a sleepy boring gently caress and his economic ideas are utter nonsense. This debate will be "won" by Trump/Rubio/Bush in my opinion. I'm undecided on Fiorina, I could see it going either way for her. She dipped in the polls quite a bit so her brash manner and former CEO title which might give her statements a bit more authority in an economic debate and lead to another quick bump. That said, I don't think the media really cares about her anymore.

Agreed. But I also think you're too high on Jeb. High = anything above considering him a wet fart brought to life like a fart Frankenstein monster

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

I'm real tempted to buy a bunch of JEB! Yes in Next To Drop Out after that debate. However as a registered Democrat that may bet me a big wet kiss from him for cutting my losses.

Unfortunately until they finally do the linking, almost all YES best are overvalued.

That said, the only YES I own is a Jeb! to drop the fuckout first and it feels fantastic

Speakin of which, daddy needs some more, just a little hit, gimme another 100 Jeb YESes baby, mmmm, yeah that's the good stuff

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
To me, the Rubio NO's are way too optimistic. He's the likeliest candidate, sure, but 50%? Nah

I have like $2k in various Republican Nom No's at this point :kiddo:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah, the real money to be made is when the crazies start to enter the market. Back in 08 I was still able to buy Obama to win the Presidency at like 0.60 until practically election day. 2016 is gonna be good, because we are entering peak crazy.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

User Error posted:

Rnom is getting linked December 1. I recently bought a bunch of nos, I'm curious to see how things shake out. I haven't really played in any linked markets yet.

Cool, I have $2200 in the RNOM market, all NOs. I have NOs for almost everyone except for Cruz, who I like (the odds of being the candidate, not as a candidate, gross, gross).

The prices are still good IMO for guys like Christie, Kasich, and Jeb!. Christie/Kasich NO for 91 implies 9% chance for the nomination. Jeb! implies 15%. Those are all waaay too high.

Also, the Presidential market looks like it's linking Dec 3. The prices there seem out of whack too. You can buy Hilary for the same price as just buying Democrat to win in the Which Party Will Win market. With Republians at 40% to win, it doesn't make sense for someone like Trump to 16% to win. That'd imply there's a 40% chance he wins the Nom.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Just popping in to say that linked markets are the poo poo

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Republican brokered convention is free money too.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

railroad terror posted:

Anyone else gambling a bit on some of the Repub Nomination YES bets now that the market is linked?

For me, I'm gambling the nomination is going to come down to one of the following people:

Rubio
Cruz
Christie
Kasich

I have a good amount of shares of Cruz @ 23 (he's at 26 now, considering getting out and buying back in), Christie at 6, and Kasich at 3. I'm wary about the Rubio shares I do own because I feel like he's still overvalued at 40.

I don't believe The Donald has any real shot at the delegates necessary to win, and if there's a "comeback kid" moment in New Hampshire, I feel like it will belong to either Christie or Kasich.

NH is looking better and better for Christie. I think Cruz is overpriced right now at 26, I'm hoping for a Christie bump at some point to eat into Cruz. If Cruz drops below 20, hopefully below 15, I'll load up on him.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The delusional bets haven't even started yet. Wait till we get closer to the election and people start to get emotional about it.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Cruz to win Iowa seems crazy at 60, this early

I'm just scooping up Iowa Santorums and Huckabees and Carson for dirt cheap.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm maxed on No here. Probably bought into it too greedily and too deep, but I've got two months to see a turnaround.

I'm maxed out on Cruz NO here as well. I had about a half-max bet when he was around 50, so if I can fill the other half at 40, I am in.

I have 2000+ shares of Carson now. He was a steal at 3

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Peachstapler posted:

With Iowa's GOP caucus-goers selecting such winners in recent memory as Huckabee and Santorum, Carson YES is a diamond in the rough. (I bought 316 .... because God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son).

I have 3000+ Carson YES's as well, and Cruz NO's in the 30's is a steal.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Jeb ain't dropping out before Iowa.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

nachos posted:

The medical tax thing hosed me pretty good, luckily I made a chunk back with predictit's wording error on the supporting trump question last night. I miss the BIDENNO days.

I've been spoiled too. I made $800 on Biden almost instantly, and since then I've only been able to grind out $200. I make smart low risk NO best, and then I get the Biden sweats and go and recklessly bet on something risky. Something stupid will happen again.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I picked a great time to make my Cruz bets!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

Also, in the vein of the previous posts on bad decisions, I currently hold 1500 shares of Huckabee Yes in Iowa. Hopefully the Cruz panic helps me cut some loose.

This, plus Carson and Santorum. It made sense at one point :smith:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Ok, I need these Iowa caucuses to happen already. I have too much money tied up in them and I can't do anything else.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Garrand posted:

So just how much cash have some of you dumped into this? I've deposited a grand total of 70 bucks at this point into a couple fairly sure bet markets. I'm too poor to be gambling, really.

I deposited $3k because I killed it in 08 and 12 on other sites that have since died. At one point I was up $1.5k but now I'm down $500.

I feel good about my Clinton in Iowa bet, hitting that will put me back in the green. Once I get that cash, it will all go into feeling the Bern in NH. Trump sweep NO to sweep seems like a good market too.

User Error posted:

I like Bernie but he better fuckin lose Iowa

Word

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
There's also still questions about his ground game in Iowa, and how many of his supporters are first time caucus-ers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Jesus, as I check now, Trump is up to 72 in Iowa.

• Locked thread