Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If you really feel like betting on DWS and want to make sure it's guaranteed money, you can still buy in on her winning her primary at under 90 cents. Primary is the 30th of August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Yeah, that'll be the last HOT GOON STOCK TIP that I ever act on.

HOT GOON STOCK TIPs are actually usually fairly good. You've just got to remember that we're only slightly better informed idiots who are pooling our knowledge together. Group think not only is a variable to be seriously considered, there's also our general liberal bias and desire for certain events to happen/not happen.

Definitely take suggestions with a pinch of salt, but they're usually worth at least considering. Though it's usually best to wait for some sort of consensus rather than a couple people posting their ideas on their own.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Glad I had my sell oder set at 97 cents. Nice to hear in passing that the FBI didn't indict then check on the app to see my near 50% profit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Michael Scott posted:

Which app are you all using? The official one seemed to have terrible reviews so I just have a browser bookmark on my phone.

I use the official app, but only to check my account at work or panic sell if I made a dumb bet and news breaks while I'm out. Mostly I just use the website itself.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Michael Scott posted:

I think you said that one key to high gain is to 'play on emotions' rather than play actual events. Is there any way to do that with this kind of market? What kinds of markets does that work well with?

In a couple weeks or so, Donald Trump will surge in the polls and across the board the Republican prospects will look rosy. Said surge will quickly be dashed a few days latter as Hillary and the Democrats rise to seemingly new heights and the Republican Party will seem doomed to eternally wonder the political desert. Convention bumps are real, predictable, and will undoubtedly throw the relevant markets into chaos in their wake.

There are a few ways to play this coming emotional reaction that flies in the face of rationality. You can buy Trump and related Republican shares while they're low right now and flip them. You can put in lowball bids on Hillary and Democratic shares in anticipation of this. Or you can try and do both. Keep in mind that other people will also be trying to play the upswings on both sides, so there's a possibility that things turn out like a couple of the Bernie markets did. Tons of money dumped into markets trying to play the people playing the market and most of that money being lost because everyone is trying to make the same play.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nirvikalpa posted:

Can't believe that CLINTON.FEDCHARGES.2016 is still at sell 91. Why?

Market won't close until the end date, which I believe is the end of December.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hopping Trump doesn't pick :newt: because he's the least money option.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So it seems about 40,500 people bought Ivanka lotto tickets and 40,500 people went with the "free penny" today.

I went with the free penny, but, man, I really hope there's 40,500 lotto winners come announcement.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hope that Trump names someone no one else has ever even considered to be on the list before. Just because it would be hilariously Trump. With the side benefit of making me a lot of money, of course.

Then I hope they turn him down after the public announcement and the market and comments go totally batshit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, I realize now that what I really crave is for Trump to make a pick that absolutely no one could have predicted. Then after the convention have some insane Eagleton poo poo go down and then have a new market pop up with an even longer list of fever dream options for me to bet against.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Gotta love the people trying to argue against Pence in favor for Cruz. Lotta effort towards that impossible pump.

https://twitter.com/KennyGGee/status/752279666719850496

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FourLeaf posted:

Gotta admit I'm stunned Trump is willing to overlook Pence endorsing Cruz.

That really seems like one of the much more minor reasons not to go with Pence. Trumpian ego aside.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FourLeaf posted:

That's just it though. With Trump I'm not sure if we can put ego aside.

Word seems to be that Pence is the choice conservative parts of the GOP are pushing for him to make. If he does go with that option, the role of VP will probably be to fund raise while Trump himself talks about how much money he has and man it's sweet not needing to ask for money because he's so tremendously tremendously rich. Whether he ends up bowing to their demands or not, is another story.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did some new news come out on the Pence front? The market is flipping back to not believing in Pence.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Adar posted:

let's go team Pence

having said that, here's a serious protip: start thinking about what happens if team #nevertrump gets the vote to the floor

My plan is to sell Pence YES when they get high enough and then pick up some penny stocks on Pence NO after that for just such an occasion. Selling the YES should more than cover the loss on Pence NO if he does become the nominee and I get the money this week.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hmm, yes. Fox wouldn't want to tarnish their sterling reputation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Fox and Newt just ended their contract yesterday, citing suddenly caring about employing a potential VP pick. At around the same time Trump made it clear the pick would be announced on Friday.

Which means that :newt: is the most likely to be picked. Remembering that things are still left up to Trump's "good brain" to finalize things, so anything could still happen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given the reports of Trump already trying to get out of the Pence pick, general rules of volatility regarding Trump, and the desire to gently caress over Trump by a not insignificant portion of the RNC delegates, a couple bucks worth of Pence NO shares probably is a pretty defensible lotto ticket.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, now you can buy YES shares on DWS winning her primary for like 70 cents. People don't actually understand how carefully drawn congressional districts work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EngineerSean posted:

I get why the district itself might be same for Dems, but i don't get why a scandal wouldn't cause her to lose the primary.

It's not a scandal that her district could possibly care about. They voted for Hillary by somewhere around 50 percentage points more than Bernie and she's their long term incumbent congresswoman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EngineerSean posted:

Yeah I guess I get this but I didn't realize the carefully drawn Congressional district was designed to be as pro-Hillary as possible.

It's not drawn to be pro-Hillary. It's drawn to include a bunch of Democrats that almost all happen to be pro-Hillary.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did they get rid of the funds display at the top of the page all the sudden, or is my browser just not loading it for some reason?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OAquinas posted:

It's you. Still getting my +XXXX and available funds list.

Are you using a mobile browser? Might be it.

Firefox on my desktop. I won't have any free funds until they pay out on the Democratic Candidate anyway, so it's not a big deal at the moment.

Yeah, logging out and back in fixed it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EngineerSean posted:

You could take this as an opportunity to get cheap Hillary NO's that you can sell when the price is where you want to buy Hillary YES's.

Hillary is going to have to really gently caress up to get to a worse place than she was prior to the DNC. Best hope is that Trump succeeds in pulling a Romney in the first debate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

If you're betting value bets out to the general election, just put it all here on "NO": https://www.predictit.org/Contract/612/Will-the-Democratic-presidential-nominee-win-at-least-370-electoral-votes-in-2016#data

370 Electoral votes is a LOT. It's not going to happen.

For further evidence see here: https://www.predictit.org/Market/2336/How-many-Electoral-College-votes-will-be-cast-for-the-winner-of-the-2016-presidential-election

combined odds this thing is a landslide: < 20 and I think that's generous.

I'm hunting for bets that payoff before then though.

You can still buy DWS winning her primary for less than 80 cents. Florida primaries are August 30th.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

If you're leaking an internal poll that shows you 8 points down less than a month before the election, you're definitely getting spanked.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So 5 days away from the election, and Paul Ryan winning the primary is sub 90. Between him and DWS market I've really got to question the wisdom of crowds.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BCRock posted:

There are some interesting bets you can make with all of the different electoral college markets.

Right now, "Will Hillary get >370 EV" (NO) is trading at $0.71.

Pair that up with the different EV bracket bets in this market and you can more than cover your NO bet risk above by buying shares in the 360-379, 380-399 and 400+ brackets.

Quick example: buy 100 shares of NO on the >370 EV for Dems above. Total risk is $71.

Then buy 50 shares of 360-370 YES @ $0.18 for $9.00, 78 shares of 380-399 YES @ $0.09 for $7.02 and 78 shares of 400+ YES @ $0.08 for $6.24.

If Hillary wins with <360 EV you win $29 and lose the other 3 bets for $22.26 ($6.74 net profit).

If she wins with 360-369 EV you win both the >370 NO and 360-379 YES bets for $70.00, minus the 2 losing bets for $13.26 ($56.74 net profit).

If she wins with 370-399 EV you break even.

If she wins with 400+ EV you break even.

I just found this thread/website, so I may be missing some mechanic about the trades that makes this not as much of a sure thing as it looks (even with the 10% fee, you can still cover your first bet here and stay net positive by bumping up the shares on the small value bets), but this stuff is really interesting.

Buy NO in all 8 sub markets, and probably buy no in the 370+ landslide market. You win money no matter what the actual EC total is as long as you structure your NO bets at a proper price.

Or buy NO on everything except YES in 400+ or 279 or less, so you can have a little extra to buy your celebratory/consolation booze.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Necc0 posted:

Also friendly reminder that you can still get R370.NO for .91 for some loving reason if you like free money

Almost certainly only because it's a 3 month wait and you can put your money into other things, like Hillary winning, for a better return.

OAquinas posted:

It'll take AZ, NC, and GA (and holding onto NV, where Trump is still polling close for some unfathomable reason).

That said, at this point I'd say it's a solid 35-40% chance; Trump is epically self destructing. The debates will off some chance for a reset or refraining of the election, but at this point I can't be sure he won't actually pull down his pants and expose himself to make some kind of point.

If the anecdotal evidence of mass waves of Hispanics rushing their citizenship so they can vote are correct, they're probably being under represented in polls. Hell, considering Trump is approaching less than 10% support among all non-whites, their desire to vote against him may not be properly baked into the polls.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
On the subject of fundraising, I know that Trump has said he raised $80 million in July. However that included money for the RNC, does his campaign give that money to the RNC, thus having it count on line 7 of his FEC Report or does it go directly to the RNC?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Do we have any idea on if they'll put up demographics markets for the general? I'd love to bet on whether Trump or Hillary who will win Jewish Men 55+ who also identify as Native American.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You don't actually "make" anything until you pull your money out of the site, right? Like, if I was up $1000 it doesn't count towards anything until I have them send me a check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, is the market for a candidate winning at least 50% of the vote looking crazy low to anyone else? Last time that didn't happen was 2000 and the Ross Perot 1990s Boogaloo.

• Locked thread