Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
post here about how venom snake is ocelot and bb's love child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm actually glad that Venom Snake isn't the real Big Boss. The Metal Gear series always built Big Boss up as this genetically perfect superman and then the actual Big Boss games show that he's only a well trained soldier with a larger than life image thrust upon him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lolling at all these people in denial about playing the wrong protagonist, its like MGS2 all over again. Coincidentally, TPP is practically a direct prequel to MGS2.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I hope the Venom Snake bossfight is like PW, where its difficulty is tied to how much effort you put into research. If you unlock everything Venom cheats with Jehuty teleport CQC, and if you do the bare minimum he only has basic equipment.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I think we are. I'm betting he's a huge presence in the stuff leading to the "true" ending. Remember it involves replaying the game on expert mode which adds extra bosses (which might be some extra story bits) leading up to 10ish new missions.

I'm actually wondering if the "normal" ending will end Venom's story somehow and we'll switch control to Boss for the sort of new game+ as if we're seeing events from his POV.

Yeah I think it's this exactly. The first ending is discovering that Venom is not BB, and then the true ending is the Venom Snake bossfight.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

standard owl posted:

So Ocelot is constantly poo poo talking Eli and even puts him in solitary confinement at one point during TPP, and yet Liquid ends up completely trusting the guy to be his right-hand man 20 years later? Liquid Snake: actually kind of a forgiving guy if you're not his dad/brother.

also Miller's Maxi Buns :burger:

Liquid kinda sucks at everything

I really like the plot in this. Big Boss finds out that Zero makes clones of him, and in response he turns a completely different man into himself :v:

Nakar posted:

According to the text dump, Kaz becomes pissed at Big Boss for playing him like a drat fiddle and decides that he'll turn Big Boss's sons against him and throw in with Venom even though he knows Venom is a phantom. He was probably collaborating with Venom in MG1 so Big Boss sent Solid Snake in to take out Venom and/or die. Then in MG2 when it's the real Big Boss he's overtly helping Snake against Big Boss because he hates him.

This is the part that doesn't make sense. Eventually in MG, Big Boss starts giving Snake false intel on his codec, like leading him into traps.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm a few pages late, but I don't think they had ever planned for bases to be completely customizable. I think a lot of people had unfounded expectations of it and posted about how they were totally going to make a single long hallway for their FOB.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Massive feature bloat. Just the cut content that's immediately obvious probably would have added another year and roughly doubled the game's development budget. It's MGSIV all over again in that regard- Kojima et al. seem to have wanted to implement Every System- the main difference is that this time the stuff that was saved from the cuts was thankfully a more coherent set of gameplay. The tradeoff is that the story is terribad, even by MGS standards.

A MGS without feature bloat is not a game I want to play. I wish that Kojima had delayed the game another year and added even more pointless systems like a full digestive/bladder system where you have to regularly poop or else you'll poo poo yourself on the battlefield and lose all of your heroism.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm glad most of the budget went into stuff that you actually play with, instead of most of it going into a massive building falling over in CoD or a bunch of fancy QTEs like Uncharted.

D-horse alone probably cost multiple millions.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Alpha Protocol 2: A Hideo Kojima Game

also known as "Hideo Kojima is forced to budget a game responsibly"

It's pretty funny that Konami will do literally nothing with a $50 million engine, and if they hold all the IPs to the rendering and software, it's 50 million they'll never make back. That's the biggest waste here.

We're all screwed if he turns to KS after this

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Eternal Darkness 2

Make it happen nintendo

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I've been using a grenade launcher to take down gunships. It's not as easy as to use as a launcher but it allows me to carry a super OP sniper rifle.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Seriously, I still use the level 1 first launcher you can research. Drops gunships in 2 shots. Just gotta learn to lead your shots.

I also love the rubber bullet SMG even if it is absolute garbage. The suppressor breaks in less shots than it takes to drop someone without headshots :allears:

The riot smg is an amazing weapon. Its my bread and butter gun for every situation. It's great as a stealth weapon if you use red dot for headshots, and its a great nonlethal weapon in direct combat.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's not in Zanzibar?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I think the story would've worked better if Venom knew he wasn't Big Boss and was doing it out of loyalty(you know, the kind of guy who jumps in front of big boss) and that the former MSF guy in mission 22 did the raid because he knew you weren't real.

I'm really glad I was spoiled before playing, because there are a lot of little details that hint at Venom being an imposter.

Big Boss ordering Venom around in the prologue, Venom magically forgetting Russian, Ocelot's scene where he reprimands the rookie for acting flashy, Huey (and Peacewalker) not being sure who Venom is at first glance, etc.

The tape where Huey is telling Snake about this totally rad cloning program he heard about, appears to be Snake feigning ignorance but he could legitimately not know about the LET project.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's probably some anime stuff like Mantis' powers peaked when he was a child. By the time you fight him in MGS he's a washed up joke that can only do parlor tricks.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Tamayachi posted:

It's basically the opposite of someone making a movie so intentionally campy that it turns out really bad. But MGS is like, "we're doing our best, guys, but it keeps turning out weird but people love it for some reason"

If you think that Kojima's writing is completely serious, you probably didn't play Peacewalker.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Chippita posted:

I'm so glad she got penetrated with C4.

:yikes:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Olga wasn't handled too badly. Same with The Boss. But uh, that's all I can think of.

IIRC, Boss was going to have one breast hanging out with a sweetass snake tattoo instead of a scar.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Get help drinkfist

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Shouldn't she be angry at herself for inspiring every bad that happened for decades?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

An open world Snatcher game could be amazing. Cyberpunk LA Noir but by team that knows that they're doing and directed by a man who can't help but shove details into everything. Now I'm even more depressed about konami :(

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Somebody should tell Kojima that Diamond Dogs is actually inspired by different book, even though it was supposed to be for the stage production of 1984.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Why the hell is Huey slandering a superior officer anyway?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

lovely Wizard posted:

The game does literally everything it can to get you to play like a good guy short of a game over for being a bad guy via motherbase staff benefits/upgrades. Otherwise you'll be waiting for your level 1 helicopter to pick you up for several minutes while you use some gun a afghan guy slapped together in a cave with other old expired gun parts in default camo. All the while shooting people in the head after you shoot them in the legs for the sake of evil.

The game still shits volunteers on you, the lack of heroism just gives them slightly worse stats.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I have already beaten the game, I am well aware of the mechanics. The tweet says if 'someone got this scene naturally', which implies it isn't a global event, but something the player does locally.

EDIT: I don't think the game ever tasks you with disarming nukes, it's just something you can do. It would be really weird if people just accidentally disarmed every nuclear weapon and out of nowhere Kaz is like 'we finally did it'

When Kaz introduces nukes, he says you can either create your own nuke to deter attackers or become a hero and disarm other peoples nukes.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Why does he have pictures of Huey in the ACC?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I think Chinaman was supposed to be a "regretting your words and deeds" thing like Quiet. He was a Vietnamese kid who was sold to an American and was called that out of other people's ignorance. Just like Quiet, giving him a tragic back story doesn't excuse his offensive design/name.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

That's really not the same thing at all, actually

I meant they are similar in that they both have designs in bad taste for dumb reasons that are supposed to make you feel bad.

I don't literally think that a lady in a stripper outfit is the same as a mystical Asian stereotype.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The way I understood it, she's the only one who is actually in love with Venom, not the man he's supposed to be. Their relationship is supposed to be tragic, since he can't act on his feelings for her because of his expectations as Big Boss, buy once he's learned the truth of his identity, Quiet is already gone.

Love truly can bloom on the battlefield~

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I am calling bullshit. I saw

nothing

in the game to support that.

Watch the cutscenes where she is getting tortured. Big Boss never makes any attempt to stop Kaz. Ocelot of all people is the only person that advocates for her. Either Big Boss is forces to hide his feelings for her because his obligation to his role, or he doesn't care for her at all.

I guess its up to you the player to determine it for yourself.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Thanks boss

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

If she really have a drat about Otacon, she'd use the Patriots AI to separate him from Huey.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I wish the Skulls had be a bit more varied. It was cool when the Sexxxy Stealth Skulls showed up because it was a variation, but I'd have liked it if each Skull encounter after maybe the first was a different parasite powerup.

If only they had beefed up one of each type and gave them some extra attacks and made them into a full bossfight. Imagine how intense it would have been to fight a real boss after the helicopter crash with Codetalker. You'd be desperately trying to figure out the boss's weakness while you are receiving reports of your staff dying in quarantine.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Nah the medic died at the end of GZ, Venom is a true Snake

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

No, Ocelot doesn't. See the end of MGS4. He hypnotized himself to believe Liquid was taking over his mind through the arm. It makes no sense and the Sorrow explanation would've worked better but Kojima just loves to throw in unneeded twists.

They never explicitly retcon'd Ocelot's phantom limb syndrome in MGS2. It's only the explanation for it in MGS4. Assuming he replaced the arm after Liquid's plan failed between games.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 17, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Aurain posted:

The Mantis thing in 4 was just a fun easter egg/cameo and should really only be seen as such.

V goes a bit overboard with his powers though considering we know that he dies after getting rused by controller ports and his best offense is throwing a statue at you.

There's a possibility that Psycho Mantis isn't the same person as the Third Child since the name implies that there were two other children. Psycho Mantis might be one of the first two children with less powerful abilities.

Maybe we'll find out more in MGS6

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I know he literally looks exactly like him and has similar powers, but its a strange codename

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Speedball posted:

I think Huey must suck as a robot engineer. Paz was able to turn Zeke into something that could be piloted all on her own, and Huey has the gall to say "Don't compare me to that amateur" when Sahalanthropus doesn't loving work without a psychic powering it.

And he ripped his designs off from Granin and Sokolov, and needed Strangelove to develop the AI, and never gave any of them credit.

The best thing he ever does is put wheels on walker gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Kojima is gonna cut one last trailer

• Locked thread