Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

doesnt it take a long time to build a nuke? i know im going to nuke the first person who invades me once i've built one because gently caress deterrence.

This is why I'm pretty sure you can't actually nuke anyone, if you could then it'd be nuclear winter by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Grimace posted:

Jesus Christ, I just spent 15-20 minutes trying to do Cloaked in Silence [Extreme] and failed atleast 10 times, never getting her health below 50%. Who the gently caress would find this fun? The regular Quiet fight was fantastic, but this... Jesus Christ, I'll have to look and see if there's any sort of strategy. Can't do more than one supply drop on her, so I can't imagine how it would be possible to get that Optional Task for not beating her without using firearms. What the gently caress. She shoots less than a second after I rear my head.

That's because she hadn't lost sight of you yet. I beat this mission just by sniping back, the trick is to get to her side or behind her without letting her see or hear you. You can start this off when the mission begins by crawling downhill to your left, toward the river. Go past the destroyed bridge a bit and you'll be outside her cone of vision and have line of sight on her. She seems to notice you if you aim at her for long enough, probably light glinting off your own scope, but it takes several seconds, which is plenty of time to line up a headshot. She'll then be preoccupied trying to find a new spot to set up against that position, during which you can run and hide somewhere else. Once you get to know her sniping spots it becomes possible to guess where she might go next and adjust accordingly.

edit: just realized this is really similar to how I beat the End in mgs 3 haha

acksplode fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 20, 2015

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Just listened to all the Truth recordings while doing some side ops, great stuff.

One bit I found cool was Zero visiting Snake (classic Snake) during his coma. It painted a different picture, since he calls him old friend, and wants him to get better, and is mad that Skullface blew him to hell. Interesting stuff, since the overall backdrop of the series since after MGS3 had been Zero vs Big Boss, or so I thought.

He did talk about what he's looking for, and Kaz for example butted heads with him about it. But what do you folks get about the Big Boss/Zero relationship, with the info we get in this game? It seems Zero still likes Big Boss and is all for Big Boss doing his thing? Even though Zero has his own ideas for the world that may conflict with BB's? Granted he was behind the Paz thing, but I guess Paz going loco in the mecha was her own idea? Would Zero ever want to kill BB? What's the endgame between them there?

And by the time Solid Snake is sent in to kill the BBs in MG1 and 2, is Zero even conscious/aware, or is it just the Patriots machine rolling on?

The Truth tapes jump around in chronology so the timeline can be a little confusing to piece together at first, but they answer your questions directly. Zero is a vegetable by the time Big Boss awakens; at that point Cipher has already been taken over by Sigint and the Patriot AIs. Zero never had any interest in killing Big Boss. He has a very different opinion about how (and after Peace Walker, whether) to implement The Boss's vision for the world, and he's quite fine with using subterfuge and deception to do it, even against Big Boss, but there's no real malice there.

Likewise, Big Boss doesn't seem to be angry at Zero when he pulls the plug in MGS4. He's recognizing that his and Zero's presence made the world a worse place, so he's just trying to make things right. That's why he deliberately exposes himself to FOXDIE via Solid Snake.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Don Gato posted:

I'm still a bit disappointed in the story but I've had so much loving fun with the game it really doesn't bother me. Also parasites that kill based on language is one of the things I definitely didn't expect, it's like Kojima finally read Snow Crash and thought to himself "I can do one better than this"
The parasites were a neat plot device, and it's cool that Kojima used it to explore cultural imperialism as a topic.

quote:

And this is an MGS4 question, but did they actually explain why the gently caress FOXDIE would kill Big Boss if he was supposed to be in a nanomachine induced coma? Seems like an overly complicated contingency plan.
Fuckin, Patriots, man, I dunno. Patriots.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

PROJECT MOMBOSS

Pacifica Ocean aka Paz
Atlantica Ocean
Indiana Ocean aka Margaret Thatcher
Arctica Ocean

Arctica Ocean = Hillary

acksplode
May 17, 2004

the medic was also a soldier. One of MSF's best, according to Big Boss himself

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rocco posted:

When I see people complaining about "this isn't a true Metal Gear game"

I just feel like... okay Hideo could keep making the same game over and over or he can make something different... and he did and I had a lot of fun playing it.

Maybe I'm nuts but for me, MGS4 ended this whole saga so conclusively that I didn't care that this game was a weird detour in any way.

I can sort of understand how people might have hoped MGSV would have taken them on a ride in the same way the other games in the series did. But I don't know where people got that expectation in the first place since Konami marketed it so clearly as a less linear and more player-driven open-world game. I was a little disappointed by the relative lack of narrative compared to the abundance of gameplay, but nothing about the game's structure surprised me at all. When compared to say Assassin's Creed, MGSV feels metal gear as gently caress to me.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch has the only good posts in this thread

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I wasn't being ironic. All the posts in this thread including mine are middling to bad, except for Grizzled Patriach's, which are good.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Harrow posted:

You're right, I was forgetting that conversation.

Maybe where I differ is that I find "the MGS3 support cast eventually became affiliated with the Patriots" much easier to swallow than "the MGS3 support cast were the original Patriots" given the context we have. I actually think MGSV helped that a lot with the Zero tapes, as it made it a lot clearer what actually happened with the Patriots and how good intentions spiraled out of control--it was exactly the context I needed to believe that the MGS3 cast became the Patriots. It wasn't a satisfying revelation to me in MGS4 because it was such a big thing to be given comparatively light foreshadowing--though, then again, maybe it's just because the reveal happened in a 30-minute conversation played over an orange-tinted PowerPoint, so maybe that has more to do with why it was sort of a dud for me.

Totally agreed. Zero's tapes in MGSV really do prove that MGS4 handed that twist poorly. I feel like Kojima threaded the needle perfectly by showing that Zero nearly brought about permanent authoritarian dystopia with hubris and some bad hiring decisions, not cartoonish evil. His vision of a proto-internet that brings people together via their anonymity felt like a venture capitalist waxing philosophical--a perfect template for a person who ruins the world by trying to perfect it. I really wish these details had been included in MGS4.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

When people say the MGS3 support team forming the Patriots was like this big shark jumping moment I think to myself, there is a person who did not use the codec very often.

Zero invented the internet with the dream that it would unite humanity but it ended up becoming the means by which humanity was controlled. The way MGSV feels so unlike the rest of the series yet thematically fits with them so well, particularly MGS2, it's kinda uncanny. Like a doppelganger

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

The temporary color loss in Chapter 51 seemed to come out of nowhere for me, but I replayed Awakening to show my girlfriend, and there's a part where he suffers the same temporary color blindness after suffering an injury. The blood on Venom appeared to be black and the fire in the background was white.

Your colors get hosed up whenever you receive a serious injury. There's some dialogue with Ocelot somewhere in the first couple missions, or maybe his briefing tapes, that covers this.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I always assumed Kaz found out sometime after the ending, just because that way he has more reason to be pissed. I'd be a little hurt if my brother-in-arms and fellow wronged person duped me into questing for revenge with an impostor because he had some sort of bigger better plan that I didn't get to know about.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gortarius posted:

Is there any info on when Kojimas paperwork with Konami expires and he is able to talk about the game as he pleases?

No I don't think anyone's leaked the contents of Kojima's employment contract or resignation agreement with Konami, nor is anyone likely to

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Budget Dracula posted:

Just bought a PS4 and finished Chapter 1. Great game play but I was disappointed you didn't have a shootout or fistfight with Skull Face. I don't even think his gun is unlockable??

You've reached the end of the roller coaster :) The track ends unfinished over a chasm and now you have a few hours of plunging into darkness.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Very glad I live in the world where MGSV was released, however unfinished it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kojima had bigger ideas for the open world that got cut, like dynamic war with shifting battlefronts. "Open-world" being a very marketable bullet point was also part of it, of course. But it definitely wasn't Konami forcing it on Kojima, he was outwardly hyped about making an ambitious open world game with a theme of total player freedom.

• Locked thread