Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Seiko digital, clock of the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

skasion posted:

:words: Season 2 :words:

The best thing about Season 2 is Picard and Wesley go on a road trip and Picard sets up the backstory for one of the best episodes of the franchise: It's a Wonderful Life.

Zeno-25 posted:

Also TNG sucks until season 3-4, or whenever after the writers' strike was resolved and the Borg show up

The Borg are hinted at in Season 1 and actually show up in Season 2

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

The Odo-Kira relationship was the most awkward Goony Nice-Guy Fedora poo poo ever, even worse than Worf wanting to marry the first Klingon Woman who put out for him.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but I thought early TNG music was pretty bad. It was done in that older 70s/80s (go figure) style where it feels like the music is constantly screaming at you THIS IS A SAD SCENE! DO YOU HEAR THE MINOR CHORDS? DO YOU FEEL SAD ENOUGH YET? and ACTION IS HAPPENING NOW ISN'T IT EXCITING? and pretty much always trying to dictate how you feel about any given scene.

Less overwhelming music is better, sorry.

That has not changed in 30 years, and it's across almost all television and movies. It's like "These actors suck at conveying how sad this scene is, so here's some music to give you a cue how you should feel".

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

It's more than just "don't give them tech". It's basically "if they haven't invented warp drive, then don't interact with them in any way or even let them know you exist".

It's "don't interfere with their natural development", that's a little more loose and open to interpretation than "don't interact with them at all"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Universe Master posted:

star trek ships even have a stun setting on their main phasers, and can target with centimeter precision from orbit

no need to ever have more than a handfull of guys in key locations on a planet as long as you've got a few ships in orbit.

According to one of the eager officers in the original pilot, one starship's phasers can wipe out an entire continent on a single pass, they don't even need a few ships, they could do it with one.

Kitchner posted:

There also isn't any "ground forces" they are just dudes in the yellow uniforms. Since the only half way competent security person you ever meet in a yellow uniform is Worf and everyone else gets bitch slapped, vapourised, or tricked into letting their prisoner escape, I'm surprised the Cardassians didn't wipe the Federation out in ever land battle.

:lol: competent. Worf got owned by a barrel

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 26, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

It looks like the mass of a Romulan ship is about the same as the D, it's just hollow. The interior volume compared to the surface area means that ship is like 90% bulkheads and plating, and it's really a hilarious terrible design.

Well, my D is about the size of a Romulan ship, at least

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tyrannosword posted:

Going back a few pages to the whole "This is how they'd fight a war!" thing, was there ever any documented use of the transporters as weapons? Seems to me you could do a lot of damage with those - beaming explosives directly into the enemy's chest cavity, for example, or just locking onto an enemy, converting their matter into energy and beaming that energy wholesale into the middle of an enemy ship for maximum explosive fun (there must be a whole lot of energy buried in the atoms of a humanoid body). You could literally use enemy soldiers as ammunition to blow up their comrades!

There was the time Scotty beamed all the tribbles onto the Klingon ship, that's sort of biological warfare.

Also, Kirk stole not one but two cloaking devices, the federation surely knew how to make them and use them well before the Defiant.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i think you have a bad imagination too, b/c ds9 correctly handles holodecks by starting from the position that they are almost exclusively for crazy sex simulations and even mentioning a holodeck in polite company is a faux pas

Like that time they had that massive 20+ person orgy with Sisko's rival Vulcan Captain and his crew, or the time the legendary Klingon Warrior who was 200 years old by that point, hosed hundreds of people in a recreation of one of the great historical orgies of the Klingon Empire.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

And Kai Winn was this woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onm5gjgL97Y

The one thing I really liked about DS9 was that they had really good, award winning actors come in and play guest and recurring character spots.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

MikeJF posted:

You must've seen an old version. They lost the print for a while and had to intercut what they had from The Menagerie with a black and white workprint, but they found the full-colour version in the late 80s.

I only had a black and white TV until the late 80s, but the first time I ever saw The Cage it was in full color. Except for some reason, I remember the opening shot of the Enterprise and the Bridge in black and white. That might have been part of the Frakes hosted documentary in 88 or 89 when they were getting ready to show the full color version for the first time.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Mondian posted:

Lol, TNG limped for 2 years before it got good, DS9 limped along for about 3, Voyager limped along for 7, and Enterprise was executed before it's pilot's opening theme even finished and then spent four years as a rotting corpse.

This is not quite true. DS9 wasn't limping along, Duet was the first season and was one of the best Trek episodes, hands down. Which was really good, considering it was essentially a mid-season replacement, which may have been rushed due to a desire to compete with Babylon 5. DS9 was just so much better as a result of all the big wigs wanting to push Voyager and the new Paramount TV Network and the first TNG movie not paying attention, which let the writers start getting really interesting and good, that it looks like it "limped along". Yeah, there were a few too many attempts to tie to new series into TNG early on, and a few goofy filler episodes, but that's hardly "limping along". TNG limped along for a year figuring out if they were going to stick around, and figuring out what their voice was, Voyager limped along doing the same thing but for seven years, DS9 found their voice early in the first season and was pretty solid early on, it just got louder after season 3.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Mondian posted:

Look dude, I love DS9 too, but it was mostly alien of the week bullshit until the dominion started showing up and poo poo doesn't really get great until after Tain fucks up and starts a war late into season three.

There were a few alien of the week, and TNG tie-in of the week episodes early on, but the Cardassian/Bajoran political and religious stuff was easily equal to the dominion stuff, and that started in season 1. Garak started in season 1. (And it wouldn't have happened without building up the Cardassians and especially Garak and Tain and etc)

As I said, it got better later on, but it didn't start off trying to figure itself out like the other series did.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

You know nothing, Tosk Snow.

I lolled

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

He's not wrong though, it's worth going from season 1 up (even with a few early misfires) because while it's mixing in TNG stuff, it ALSO is builting the mythology that impacts the rest of the series. If you skip anything.. just skip Move Along Home. All the Bajorian stuff and the major players there get established all the way back in Season 1 including, as mentioned, Garak.

Even Move Along Home was important for establishing Quark's character, and later Quark-centric episodes were some of the best of the series. Yeah, Move Along Home had some serious campy TOS elements to it, but developing the Ferengi beyond stupid clumsy capitalists metaphor was one of the things that really set DS9 apart, and Move Along Home was, I think, the first episode that really looked into Quark as a person and not as a stereotype.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Seriously, with the rhymes and the triangular doors and poo poo, how is that anything but an homage to TOS?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

"The needs of the audience outweighed the needs of the Tuvok and Neelix"

- Spock

:colbert:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Kitchner posted:

I liked how Picard was sad to see O'Brien go and stuff in that deleted scene and then he telecoms him off the ship as a sign of respect.

:lol: that was a poo poo scene. "Oh, your favorite transporter room!"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Shadow posted:

If the wormhole aliens gave such a flying donkey dick about the Bajorans (according to the Bajorans) why did they let the Cardassian occupation take place without any intervention? Why intervene for the Dominion War?

Why is Sisko the Emissary?

Also I wish the Q were fleshed out more. There could have been so many episodes giving further depth to the Continuum. :(

If you want to watch the whole series, don't read the spoiler. His mother was one of the prophets/wormhole aliens, and because of the way they view time nonlinearly, she left the wormhole to meet his father on earth and give birth to him because that's what was going to happen, so that's what she did. So essentially, Sisko is a predestination paradox.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Orange Sunshine posted:

From Wikipedia:

"Hydrox derived its name from the atoms comprising water. In 1908, the creators of the cookie were looking for a name that would convey "purity and goodness." Since water is known for those qualities, they developed the name from the elements making up a water molecule. Market research later determined that the name was not well received and was more evocative of cleaning solutions than cookies".

:lol: so they're literally :spergin: cookies?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

Spoilers dude, I hadn't yet completed the Hanar questline in Mass Effect 3.

Are you attempting to engage in reproductive behavior with this one? Enkindle yourself!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Kitchner posted:

RoboCop was literally programmed not to kill evil corp employees and yet he still managed to defeat that evil corp employee

I guess you missed the line "Dick, you're fired!"? It wasn't as good as Bitches Leave, but it was still there.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Shadow posted:

hahaha i loved damar

:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF2f3XLfCo

ok, so i dont know how to embed and specify a start time.... start at 3:00

Type [url] or [video] before you paste the timecoded link.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Shadow posted:

I did that but it kept converting it to a YouTube tag. :(

Try [url=^V

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

He strikes me at the type to go out and do something rather than whine about other people being mean, so no

Except he totally would, but it would be a troll blog to distract people from what he's really doing. Like running a tailor shop.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I happened to catch the end of Preemptive Strike on BBCA yesterday and in it, Ro Laren defected from Starfleet to join the Maquis. But for some reason, she shows up on DS9 in ST Online. Which begs the question ... Why the gently caress can't Star Trek people just let go and move on?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

No, I mean, characters leave the show and then end up coming back because the fans or the producers can't abide change.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tujague posted:

Edit: Okay when I write it out like this it sounds like a TOS episode, except that was like 50 years ago, and it would have been either Kirk or Sulu who had fallen in love with the alien, and Spock and/or McCoy would have argued against the whole thing from square one, and it would have been better

I know Takei is pretty popular these days, but when was Sulu ever involved in the main plot as main character?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

Didnt Data use a contraction at the end of Datalore? The episode where they figured out which one was evil based on contraction usage? Oops!

He used "I'm", except not, because the way he says it is just jamming I am together without a space, like "Iam fine". Technically that's how he says we're also. It's subtle in a way you can't do with "n't". So most of the examples in that video are dum'b.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Braga's memory: "I needed help. We brought in Ira. And he poo poo all over the show. I mean, he poo poo on the show like I have never heard. All the crabby internet stuff balled into one nuclear weapon.

This is hilarious. This show isn't doing very well and everybody on the internet is very critical of it, but that's just the internet, let's see what Ira says. Ira says all the same things as the internet, well obviously the problem is with everybody else but us!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yeah, rather than change the fundamental ideas, they just changed the technobabble.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

happyhippy posted:

Get ready to see the first X of EVERYTHING from TNG/DS9/Cosby Show.

The premise is okay, the execution is lazy and everything happens too fast, just so they can start recycling old TNG and VOY scripts again.

"We discovered warp drive and aliens and solved all of our problems within 20 years, all the old hatreds were forgotten and everybody lives in a utopia, now let's go explore the stars!"

Where are the missteps? Where are the growing pains? Where are the "we don't know what we're doing and we're vastly outclassed by every other space-faring race" stuff that's alluded to in every other Star Trek series? Where's the Humans are generally terrible and have to learn how to not be in order to grow into the leaders of the 23/24th century?

We developed electricity, massive cargo ships, railroads, cars, airplanes, telephones, standardized industrial production, refridgeration and so forth all within the space of fifty years, and yet here we are a hundred years later and half the world is still barely surviving at a subsistence level not much different than they were two hundred years ago.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tighclops posted:

All the capitalists were killed or forced off world during WW3, and presumably the Vulcans' influence and the suvivors' distaste for mindless consumerism that led to their near extinction helped quash whatever remained allowing humanity to flourish

That's all fine and good to say, but "greed" is human nature, it doesn't just "go away" because mindless consumerism does. It's not even just human nature, it's animal nature. Crocodiles will leave the safety of the water and risk being attacked by angry mammals just to avoid sharing their food with other crocs. Chimpanzees will share kills with the chimps who helped them, or the females who support them, but even the Alpha Male of the group has to beg and have to be satisfied with nothing if he didn't participate in the hunt, and the normally social-hierarchy conscious chimps don't even care. That and grudges don't just go away within living memory. A personal sense of injustice is also very deeply ingrained in the primate brain.

I mean, I could see it happening, that's one of those things that the whole hope aspect of Star Trek is about, but not in less than a single generation.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tujague posted:

Jesus christ, every three pages with you morons farting out profound philosophical biotruths you realized after being made euphoric by your own intellect

Maybe you should write clumsy, hilariously unexamined social commentary scripts for a hokey 1960's sci-fi show or something

:biotruths: *crowd breaks from grooming to hoot excitedly*

Watch some documentaries on Chimpanzees, read Chimpanzee Politics and then quake with impotent rage when you read that Newt Gingrich's whole political strategy, starting in the 1970s, was based on lessons he picked up from reading that book, and it loving worked like a charm.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tujague posted:

My beef with the Jem Hadar was about poo poo that literally happened on the screen during a TV show and 100% didn't require me to thoughtfully stroke cheeto dust out of my neckbeard while having an Archimedes-esque epiphany about human nature and reality that is hidden from the un-fedora'd neurotypicals

It's Dorito Dust, and my problem was that on the show set in the pre-Federation/Starfleet era, humans behaved exactly the same way they did in the 24th century and ignored all of the "We had to learn those lessons the hard way" stuff that was all over the previous shows. Where was the disastrous first contact that led to war with the Klingons? Where was the humans making GBS threads all over the galaxy and disrupting primitive cultures?

"Maybe one day there will be a sort of a ... Primary Directive..."

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tujague posted:

You have to watch p much all of Season 7, with the exception of these:
s7 e04: Sisko and the crew play baseball against some Vulcans

Nay. When the show first came on, I was watching TNG religiously and although I missed the pilot, I gave a few early episodes a try and wrote it off as a lame attempt to cash in on Babylon 5. It was a rerun of this one that made me want to give it another try..

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Did you notice how Shatner's fingers move to turn on the flashy light on the console?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

So like was the shirt tugging scripted or was it the costumes fault and the crew did nothing to prevent it for 7 years?

No, Yes, and No. The original first season suit didn't fit right, so he kept tugging it, then Stewart added it as a character affectation after they did fix it.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

or on robitussin

Can Confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Honestly I feel like First Contact has caught a lot more poo poo in recent years less because of anything it did by itself, but because of how Voyager took stuff from it and ran it into the ground and the way the rest of the TNG movies afterward felt like they were poorly trying to copy a "winning formula"

All the Trek movies afterwards were trying to copy a winning formula, that's why we got reboot Kirk-Spock-McCoy, and that's why we got Khan again. It's too bad the Paramount execs don't realize that human interaction is the winning formula.

• Locked thread