Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Delicious sandwich posted:

Davincie, you should watch The Tatami Galaxy.

1. And Yet the Town Moves
2. Ergo Proxy
3. Blast of Tempest
4. Moribito
5. Full Metal Panic: TSR (haven't seen the first season, have seen Fumoffu)

And Yet the Town Moves because I also need to watch that one.

1. Daily Lives of High School Boys
2. Fate/Zero
3. Escaflowne
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Escaflowne has been pretty great so far. I'm five episodes in right now and I'm really liking the setting a lot. the pacing was a bit screwed up for the first episode or so, but now it's working pretty well.

The only real problem I have with it so far is the main character.
She seems bland at best and an outright hindrance to an otherwise great story at best. A lot of the scenes she's important in it seems like they're just making an excuse for her to be useful in some way in a plot she otherwise has no place in.

All in all, though, I'm definitely enjoying it and will almost certainly finish it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just finished Escaflowne. I really liked it, but toward the end the plot kind of went a bit out of control in ways I'm not sure if I like. At least the main character got better, though.

Anyway, with that done,

Allarion posted:

Kyousougiga is the best, and I'm glad you're watching it.

I don't feel like catching up on my backlog, so gonna add more to the backlog. Your fate is Macross Plus! Gonna slightly cheat since a couple of these I started but didn't continue.

1. ZZ Gundam (plus the last 2 episodes of Zeta)
2. Revolutionary Girl Utena 6-10
3. Overman King Gainer 4-9
4. Patlabor
5. Aria
6. K-On!!
7. Working

Finish Utena, dammit!

1. Daily Lives of High School Boys
2. Fate/Zero
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Allarion posted:

And finished episode 10. Well poo poo, a lot of plot happened. Well, I'll continue and hopefully it won't fall on the back-burner again. I still think Touga's a manipulative rear end in a top hat though, even if he does get some funny moments.

The entire point of Touga's character is at first glance he looks like some kind of gallant knight sort of character, but he's really just a manipulative rear end in a top hat.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Finished the fifth episode of Daily Lives of High School Boys. I thought all this time it was just overrated, but it's been everything I was hoping it would be and more :allears:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Daily Lives of High School Boys was great. I'm not sure whether it or Nichijou is better, but they're both excellent and if you like one you'll also like the other, so it's kind of a moot point.

Erg posted:

Deadman Wonderland because I liked the manga version.

1) Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
2) Excel Saga
3) Space Dandy
4) Cowboy Bebop
5) Mushishi

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is the tale of two lovable idiots from Osaka going on a wonderful adventure.
I also feel like I'm the only person who's seen it sometimes for some reason.

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Fate/Zero
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

:sigh: Serial Experiments Lain Episodes 1-2

Episode 1

Not a good start. I’ve been kind of dreading watching this because of how much I remember hating these first couple of episodes, and it seems time has not led me to learn to enjoy them. The fact that it’s in love with panning up to the sky and cranking up the brightness is just annoying and used gratuitously. And I still hate the fact that the show can’t seem to have more than two lines of coherent dialogue (if you call that thing Lain does when she speaks 'coherent dialogue’) before changing to another random scene.

Episode 2

Halfway through the second episode is kind of where I got stonewalled the last time I tried watching this show, and I can kind of see how. It seems to be more or less dropping any threads that might be interesting in favor of weird stunted dialogue. Lain’s awkward-rear end stare is also starting to annoy me.

However, the entire reason I put this show on my list was to force myself to stick it out for a reasonable period of time and see if I was stubbornly missing out on a great show, so here’s to hoping I start liking it more and can berate myself for my foolish ignorance in writing this later. At the very least, Episode 3 should be interesting with how the second episode ended.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The plot should be picking up pretty soon iirc.

Also there'll be a specific point where you'll probably get really mad and want to stop watching.
Don't do that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Got around to finishing through episode 5 of Lain. It still doesn't really do anything for me, though I will say that it did pick up significantly starting with the third episode. It kind of reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind (which i also didn't like) in that there were a lot of things thrown at the viewer and a lot of kind of weird things going on, but when all's said and done there's just nothing of substance to hold the whole experience together into a kind of cohesive narrative, and it seemed to equate being confusing and weird with being good.

I might watch the rest at some point, because there's a part of me that really wants to like it (which is why I've tried to watch it so many times already), but that won't be for a long while at the least. Maybe I'll like it better then.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Only if they state which, if any, anime streaming services they're subscribed to and let fun be inflicted had :rolldice:.

Now then;

• Boogiepop Phantom
  • Deadman Wonderland
  • Mekakucity Actors (eight episodes in of :wtc:)
  • Nanana's Buried Treasure.
  • Paranoia Agent (started, got distracted by other shows and things)

I think this is the next list to choose for?
Assuming so, Paranoia Agent is a good show.

1. Toradora!
2. Fate/Zero
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
6. Shirobako

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 9, 2015

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, I could use someone else making my decisions for me. You should watch Gunbuster, it's real good.

My list:
  • Yona of the Dawn
  • Snow White with the Red Hair
  • Giant Robo
  • Kyousogiga
  • Idolmaster Cinderella Girls

Well I completely forgot about this thread.

Everyone seems to freak out over Giant Robo so go with that I guess.

1. Toradora!
2. Fate/Zero (Apparently I'm exempt or something)
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
6. Shirobako

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GTO Episode 1-2

Great show! Really old school in a lot of good ways. I definitely want to see what borderline madness Onizuka manages to get up to once they've actually let him teach.

Also the OP/ED are great.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Julias posted:

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Things definitely pick up as you go, so hold onto your pants!

You, uh, you really weren't kidding there. That got really dark really quick :stare:

Anyway, I'm about 10 episodes in and Onizuka's antics are keeping hooked. I was just about to go watch some of this season's anime, but then suddenly realized "I could be watching more Onizuka instead!" and proceeded to do that. Really good show, keeps me going just to see what he's going to try to get away with next. Will almost certainly finish it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Finishing Onizuka has left me with a gap in my geart that can only be filled with more anime.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You picked the worst show on Stanfield's list, so to punish you, go watch Legend of Galactic Heroes, a show that a ton of people love, but is extremely slow-paced and has a million episodes. I couldn't make it past the second or so before I gave up (not because it was bad, but because I didn't feel like I had the level of energy required to invest in it).

New list:
  • Armitage III
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • Bubblegum Crisis
  • rewatch Patlabor: The Early Days
Still in an 80s OVA mood.

Cyber City Oedo because if you're gonna go for 80's Cyberpunk Dystopia: The List, you might as well go all the way.

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Shirobako

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shirobako Episodes 1-5

I watched the first episode of this when it was airing and remember finding it vaguely underwhelming. I just kind of tossed it aside and thought 'If it ends up being really good or something, I'm sure I'll hear about it and watch it then.' Well, I heard about it being really good, so here I am. At first, my feelings were the same as when I watched it before. It didn't really seem all that great, and it threw more characters at me than I could really deal with in one go. But it did have enough to make me want to continue, and so far I'm glad I did. I'm now more or less wholeheartedly invested in whether or not Exodus will turn into a giant trainwreck, and what new kinds of failures will inevitably arise and send the whole show into another tailspin. And I want the director to succeed again. And I want all of the friends to have their dreams work out. It's a good show that seems to only be getting better as I watch it.

And for gently caress's sake will someone just fire mohawk guy already? He's literally being worse than having nobody doing his job.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I have determined that Shirobako was really good and deserves all the praise it got. Will be eagerly awaiting season 2 with everyone else.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

New list:
  • Akatsuki no Yona
  • Baccano!
  • Barakamon
  • Chuu-2
  • Hitsugi no Chaika
  • Space Battleship Yamato 2199
  • Tamako Market
I've kind of had my fill of 80s OVAs for now.

Baccano is the boring correct answer, but I'm gonna say Chuu2 anyway because it's still good.

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Chihayafuru

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

The best sports series should be a priority, Chihayafuru.

Will do! I'll be walking into this about as blindly as humanly possible too which is always good in my experience.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chihayfuru 1-11

Wow it's taken me way too long to post about this.

So once again, I went into this show pretty much completely blind. Squark was kind enough to give me my second bit of information going into it(The first being 'this show is called Chihayafuru'): it's a sports anime. So I start watching thinking: poo poo, I'm going to be stuck with the same bullshit sports anime cliches I hate (I am not a fan of sports anime). Then I saw that it was about karuta and thought to myself "Oh! It was a joke! Because karuta isn't really a sport at all!"

The remaining episodes have done a wonderful job of proving that statement entirely wrong in every possible way.

I was an athlete for most of my life, and I'd say that Chihayafuru is the only thing I've seen that's actually managed to capture the feeling of playing a sport competitively. Every single aspect all I can think is how familiar that feeling is. They get everything perfect, from the weird mind games to the stress breaking/helping people.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Watching too much Chihayafuru seems to be bad for my heart, so I'm going to take a break from that for now. In the meantime

Kevino07 posted:

Goddamn thats a hell of a list. Think there's 4 of my top 5 there. Tatami Galaxy is my favourite of the list so start with that I guess.

Katanagatari
Casshern Sins
Turn A Gundam
Haibane Renmei
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Psycho Pass

Haibane Renmei is a beautiful show. Watch it.

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Nobunaga the Fool

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Concrete Revolutio 1-3

It's....okay I guess? To be honest I'm really not feeling it all that much. It seems like it has a lot of good ideas, but it's just way to all over the place for me to enjoy it. The switching back and forth between two already kind of nebulous time periods isn't really helping that either. Art style is pretty neat though. The setting also seems kind of cool if they'd ever actually focus on it in any kind of direct way. I give it a solid C+. Might go back and watch the rest at some point, but that point is not now.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

[*]
  • Railgun S
  • Index II
  • Symphogear G
  • Diebuster

Index is a fun show despite its many flaws that people like very loudly pointing out, so go watch more of that.

1. Toradora!
2. Jojo Stardust Crusaders
4. Golgo 13
5. Gochuuman wa Usagi Desu ka?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

7 episodes seems like a lot to finally come together, but I'll keep it in mind for a few weeks from now when I may or may not suddenly feel like watching it again.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Well time to cause some disaster or another if my past attempts at watching toradora are anything to go by. But dammit if I won't I watch a cute show and like it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Toradora episode 1-14 (it's always a good sign when you look up and realize you've just watched like ten episodes in a row)

It's great!
I'd looked it up enough during my attempts and I'd already seen Golden Time before this which is by the same author and loved that one, so it wasn't really any kind of surprise. But it did still manage to definitely exceed expectations. And seeing a Rie Kugimiya tsundere never gets old. I can also see a lot of the really good things about Golden Time in it, mainly things like the character interaction being perfect and being lighthearted just enough to make the tough moments really stick. I'm going to go watch more Toradora now.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Space Flower posted:

Gosick
Dai Mahou Touge
Ichigo Mashimaro
Dennou Coil
Nichijou
Space Dandy
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Katanagatari

Arakawa Under the Bridge because I'm currently listening to the OP because it turns out Etsuko Yakushimaru still hasn't stopped being great.

1. Sabagebu
4. Golgo 13
6. kyousougiga

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 2, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

So I finished Sabagebu a little while ago, but still can't think of much to say about it. it was just pretty simply a really good and fun show, I guess. I put it on the list because a bunch of people were arguing about whether it was good in the season thread, which I'd say it definitely is. Oh and Momoka was a great main character. I love how every time a normal MC would have tried to act reserved or something she had no mercy for anyone. It also managed to consistently be really funny which is pretty rare for anime imo. Well that's about all for it I guess. Time to add them to the character pool in Xcom and eagerly hope for a second seas-

Sabagebu! 2014 Summer 1,683 0 1,683 ¥70.7 Pierrot+ manga

:smith:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rotoru posted:

Love Live
Hibike! Euphonium
Tari Tari
Symphogear
Haruchika

Love Live is a cute show that made me like idols. Go watch it.

1. Symphogear
4. Golgo 13
6. Kyousougiga

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

IIRC, Britannia came about from the British royal family fleeing to the colonies (which I guess they still controlled?) when Napoleon threatened. Neat touch on the calendar.

I think they said Franklin sided with the Brits so the colonists lost the revolution.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

As of episode 1 of Symphogear, I have no idea what's going on, but whatever it is is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Srice posted:

Punch Line is a well crafted show that was criminally underlooked because of the initial premise, so I say go with that!

I remember thinking about this show when it was/just finished airing and thinking how awful it was that everyone would probably forget about it pretty quickly since it's a really good show.

• Locked thread