Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I got a handful of sourced replies the last time around generously laced with dogpilers going on tirades about "tankies" and fanfics about the macroeconomics of Venezuela. fnox absolutely refuses to source anything and when pressed basically comes out and says he'd favor a sequel to Pinochet over Maduro. The scales are tipped in favor of everything he posts only because it fits a narrative.

"Actual Venezuelans" doubtlessly work for Venezuelanalysis and TeleSUR. Why are their accounts less credible than his?

Why so is it that telesur and venezulaynlasis can not manage to report truth of their favorite authoritarian capitalist, but other authoritarian capitalist country can? Who pays you to lie for the Venezuela or is it just hobby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

People should focus less on Venezuela in this, the Venezuela thread.

Talk of Venezuela is unfair and is probably activity of Capitalist Gangster, how dare one is bad all the food is gone!

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Celexi posted:

Venezuela is getting close to somalia levels of not being a country except on a map ,yet people are here saying that hey, things would be much worse if maduro went away.

Because it can get worse than millions going away from their country, starvation, diseases due to lack of drugs and vaccines, non functioning hospitals, most of the time having no water or power and hey, now there are pirates using Venezuela as its base as the venezuelan coast guard is basically starving.

BUT HEY IT COULD BE WORSE, HOW? WHO KNOWS

Amazing, is not it? Maduro performed the right wing CIA backed junta routine on his country all by himself, no helpful guide. I guess he wanted to save USA some money so they could go hire more prostitute in Colombia.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
My understand is, in Honduras situation, Americans chose to continue to support government authority from beforehand and did not send any invasion. People are now saying that Venezuela is to have Americans invade and to not support existing government authority.

Why then are people saying that any current Plan in Venezuela is to look like Honduras?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Condiv posted:

well, one side supports the US starving the population and employing a supporter of death squads against them, and the other thinks the US should cut that poo poo out, lift sanctions, send real aid via the UN, and accept venezuelan refugees. it seems to me that only one side in this whole deal is death squad adjacent, and it's yours

It is very interesting how one decides the starvation performed by Venezuela government for past 5 year does not matter. It reminds heavily of how British genocide-famines in India get called just unfortunate coincidence by defenders of Churchill. To say nothing of the Maduro government death squad gangs hired as "armed collectives" I believe is translation.

Also interesting to see, that your proposal is not that Maduro stop creating refugee, just that one specific country should accept more of them.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
Did not Maduro already donate big for Trump inauguration, to buy influence 2 years ago?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The US has an obesity rate of like 30%. In conjunction with huge levels of food insecurity in the US, it's pretty loving close.

The obese are quite literal the opposite of being malnourished as is the overweight. Nearly 2/3 of the Americans fall into those categories.

To attempt to say the fat of the rich world are just the same as the starving of the colonized world, that is quite of a take, as they say.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

eke out posted:

if you thought about this for like, one second, you'd know obesity and malnourishment (and associated conditions like diabetes) are very commonly linked in poor households in both the United States and other countries (so commonly that there's a specific term to describe the phenomenon)

One does not receive diabetes from "not enough" nourishment my friend. It is excessive odd to characterize eating more than enough of everything as equal to eating not enough of anything.

More specific tho, the page addresses a problem primarily found in colonized nations with especial focus on the islands of the Pacific. You have not provided evidence that one can lay most of the fatness in America, Europe, etc rich nations on the feet of lacking nutrients.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How many obese people do you think just eat too much of a healthy balanced diet? Ridiculous.

You seem to be under grave misunderstanding that a diet need be "balanced" for you to not have deficiency. Most fat people get more than enough of all edible nutrients, and have continued eating beyond that. When you are in modern rich developed country, it is largely trivial that you receive all neccesary nutrients, the standard foods available even the very cheap are loaded up with what is neccesary.

Note that Venezuelans are not able to do this, leading to mass refugee situations and massive weight losses.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Thompsons posted:

Even assuming a Sanders presidency with all sanctions being lifted I'm really curious as to what the future of their oil industry is going to be like, don't China and Russia basically own the extraction rights now? How do you ever get the poo poo back from that point?

The American oil companys also own much of the extraction rights. Maduro and Chavez sold such rights to Americans as well, and in about the equal proportion. There is also small amount sold to EU countries.

If all sanctions end, those oil rights will be used by America and EU again.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Flavahbeast posted:

Telesur has since deleted that tweet. Sometimes you get a story wrong, we all make mistakes

How on earth would a Venezuelan network writing in this century "accidentally" get a 30 year old story of uncontroversial truth wrong? There is room for debates on how many people were killed and harassed precisely, but not dispute on the overall occurence.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That the opposition should probably have run in the elections if they wanted to be represented.

Your talk of Venezuela's election there sound like someone who would say "the KPD should have just run in the March 1933 election".

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

"why you gotta make me hit you," but for a deliberate program of mass starvation as punishment for not supporting a coup

I do not think highlighting the way Maduro punished opposition supporters over past 5 year, is good for your argument.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Condiv posted:

yes. that's the point of the embargo and sanctions

not sure. USA propaganda makes it tough to get a clear read on the situation

It sure is a convenience, that USA propaganda is too powerful for you to ever learn information. Are you not American who moved to France? You should read our local media perhaps and figure out if problems have exist in Venezuela for past 6 years or whether things were better under the regime of Chavez.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

mortons stork posted:

Allow me to point out a few subtle, but crucial differences between a crook rigging an election and a foreign power intentionally destroying a country's productive capacity and starving its citizens of basic necessities so it can pursue its geopolitical agenda.

The crook who rigged the election also destroyed his country's productive capacity and starved his citizens. If we're trying to say Maduro did all that by accident I do not believe that is a good defense?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
It is quite odd to see claims of "genocidal intervention" when a dictator is mass starving his own people for better part of decade. Perhaps I missed where there was some declaration that this was intended?

I must also remind us all that before beginning of the year, Maduro's system was selling off massive amounts of Venezuela resources to US specifically, including US corporations receiving large amounts of ownership of oilfields and export facilities. Since people insist on pretending privatization is new or only of opposition. Only thing that has put that on hold is, the sanctions of the US blocking the US companies from being sold more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

536 posted:

When did Boots Riley become some kind of definite source on anything? The guy is a Tienanmen Square truther.

He also said recently that Afghanistan was never invaded by Soviet troops. He does not seem to have much idea of how things work outside of America, let alone of that in Venezuela.