Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finally read the Valiant as it was on sale on Comixology, and of course it is really good. I know X-O had pushed how good it was at the time and now I feel so stupid not having read it before.

But it's a testament to how good Bloodshot Reborn and The Book of Death have been that it didn't really matter that I hadn't read it.

zoux posted:

io9 has an interview with Lemire about his upcoming Bloodshot run. I don't know if the premise has been revealed before, but it's the first I've heard of it and it sound badass.

Oh. My. God. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me reading the last page of Bloodshot: :ohdear:

Also a week late, but still really digging Book of Death. From my perspective, it's a great event: interesting, well written, doesn't interrupt any of the other ongoing books but still brings a bunch of characters together to tell a story :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Ninjak - Loved this issue. I love the way they framed the backstory for Fitz and now he's immediately a character I want to see more of. Pretty much a standalone issue in the middle of an arc but it was done really well. I'm not familiar with the artist, and he's no Clay Mann, but I was really digging his style.

Yeah, considering the criticism last issue drew for "oh, Ninjak fights a dude pt 7" this issue was a really smart subversion of it. And as you say, a really interesting character.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just picked up Rai at issue 11 because :Valiant: and without context, I actually liked it.

Time to buy the trades I guess

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally caught up with some stuff. Bloodshot is still very good, although I thought the Twist of Magic becoming Girlshot would have been interesting instead of "oh I fixed it straight away."

Also the reveal about the kid being the killer? Lets just say I'll wait and see how that plays out.

Book of Death was great as usual and a fitting climax.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 4, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ninjak is still hands down my favorite book right now. Still really dig the backups too.

Finally picked up xo on comixology again. So good. I just keep buying it so I have like 15 issues to read. :radcat:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'll reiterate what other people have said:

Bloodshot Reborn: Really cool gritty serious but not super grimdark or anything, some nice stylish art. Also a lot of serious character work for a series about a dude with machines in his blood who shoots people.
Ninjak: My personal favourite. I like it because each issue has a really great backup that normally gets into some back story. The villains get some serious groundwork done on them which really excites me for the future. Currently Ninjak is in some crazy alternate dimension which is pretty dope for a pretty serious comic. I think of it as Valiant's Batman but that might be a dumb analogy.
Imperium: I too, read Harbringer and got bored after a while. But if you've read the start and you get the gist of "Harada = Bad man" you should be able to jump into one of the richest comics I've read in a while.
The Valiant / Book of Death: The Valiant leads into the Book of Death and those 8 issues are great and almost operate as their own little series in a way and are a great little taster of whats going on.
X-O Manowar: In many ways it's Valiant's Superman. I think the best part about X-O is how it's been so good for so long. Also for a while every series would interact with X-O and serve as an introduction. I think X-O runs into Ninjak, The Eternal Warrior, Harada, Unity, Bloodshot etc etc So if you just read that from the start eventually you'll be exposed to everything.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 24, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Space Fish posted:

Is it okay to just report back every so often and praise Valiant as they continue to impress?

95% of the thread is people popping in to say "Status Update: Imperium still awesome" or "Comixology sale grab everything for a dollar" so I'd say yes.

That and us getting excited about announced upcoming events that exceed expectations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I have a second printing of Ninjak #1 because reasons.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

I think from the interview it's safe to say the character is someone we saw a glimpse of in Book of Death in the flash forward sections.

That girl from Ninjak with the hair!

:pray:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Caught up on Ninjak and Bloodshot.

Analogue Man has been really amazing so far. Magic :smith:. I didn't like the Ninjak goes to alternate dimension magic land as much as the first arc but I do appreciate that it was something completely different and it' still one of my favourite comics.

edit: How is there such a gulf in class between Bloodshot and Extraordinary X-Men. Unless, there are two different Jeff Lemires or something. Am I crazy?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 13, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Part of me just wants to get everything off my list and just get valiant books only, sometimes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's kind of funny Armor Hunters deluxe makes X-O deluxe 3 redundant

I just looked that up. That's really funny / strange.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can you get the essentials just from reading X-O Vol. 3?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

You mean skip reading Armor Hunters? I would not recommend that, it's one of the best comic crossovers I've ever read.

No I mean X-O volume 3 has the armor hunters issues and the X-O issues but not the unity and uhhh harbinger(?) issues.

This was an idle question, I've got them all on comixology anyway :getin:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They also do some really great incentive covers which look amazing but no chance I will ever see one in my tiny shop.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Norns posted:

I had time to sit down and read the first trade of Bloodshot Reborn. I finished it, and immediately bought the next issue on Comixology, and then the next... I hope Bloodsquirt comes back!

Got Ninjak to read next! The art looks killer, so I'm pretty excited if the story stuff is even half as good as Bloodshot Reborn.

:getin:

Those two are my favourite books right now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah one of the reasons I like Ninjak is i'm pretty sure it's always oversized by like 4 pages each time to fit in the backup. :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow that's cool. Looking forward to what ever they are!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god Divinity Red Son looks amazing I want in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Name change to Ninjak, imo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

This was a great week. Even though I could see how people wouldn't like the it was all in his head ending of BS:R, I think it was handled well and gave some excellent insight to the character.

Finally caught up on this, I wasn't disappointed so much because it leads organically into the next thing, but I thought it would have been cooler if it was real otherwise I think it's good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man as stupid as wearing a T-Shirt saying "I'm Ninja K" I really want that loving K shirt from Ninjak.

Rusty Kettle posted:

If it was any different, there would have been some serious contradictions with the Book of Death series. I cannot think of any other way, to be honest. At least we get to see some more insight into what makes that character tick.

I know, and I agree. It's just it was so good, it's sad it's not real.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

That's a good sticker.

There are no good Valiant podcasts, despite there being lots to talk about. The only one I like is VCR, but that is only because of the Canadian. They are all just recorded Skype conversations. They don't use cameras so there is lots of pauses where people are afraid to talk over each other. It makes me really appreciate podcasts that use a camera. It is important to signal that you have something to say, that you are done talking and need your cohosts to step in or that your partner needs to wrap it up. There is minimal editing, no format, and off topic rant fests by old angry men. Awful sound quality because no one has a decent mic and records their own tracks. Everyone sounds either angry or bored. I thought board game podcasts were bad, but this is something else.

If I could find some folks who have their own decent mics and read (or want to read) Valiant, I would start my own drat podcast. I don't know if I have any sort of charisma, but at least I'd get the technical parts right.

I own a microphone!

And I read... Ninjak and Bloodshot!

That's gotta count for something, right?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

Spitballing a format, I am thinking it would be something akin to Gilmore Guys (I know I know) where there is a host or two who are big fans who have read everything, and one (or two) absolute newcomers to Valiant. The company prides itself on how each arc is totally accessible to newcomers, so the new person can test that. Hopefully they like it.

Each week, we review the week's books and one (or two) older books, starting at whatever book we feel is best for folks new to Valiant. It'll be hard at first, but we'll discuss the books only in the context of the books we covered previously to not spoil anything for the newcomer. Over time, we'll work our way through the tapestry.

I like this format because hopefully, if it is good, it is something people will point to when people ask 'Where do I start with Valiant?'

In the meantime, I'll contact Valiant to see how easy it would be to get review copies of books. If those other people can do it, why not us?

I would 100% listen to this podcast.

X-O posted:

Well, if you didn't get to read it and want to know It seems as if Deathmate is actually Kay McHenry, the former Geomancer.

:staredog:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah i am getting divinity and what imperium I dont have.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

So far Matt Kindt can do no wrong in regards to Valiant. Happy to see him taking Aric into deep space.

Badass design art here: http://www.cbr.com/x-o-manowar-character-designs-valiant-exclusive/

*updates pull list accordingly*

edit: I really need to dump these lame x-books i'm reading out of loyalty and just go ~all in~ on Image and Valiant.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also I'm catching up on like, 5 issues but was pretty cool seeing the Main Story and the Backup Stories intertwine at the end of that arc for Ninjak. I know it's like, storytelling 101 but Ninjak is probably my favorite book right now, with Bloodshot right behind (Bloodshot dog best dog!!)

X-O posted:

Unless you're rich, and also like a number of bad books as well as good ones that's going to be a tough thing to pull off.

drat I got got there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God I'm an idiot, I didn't realise that Deathmate was an established Valiant property.

I should have known, it's just enough of a goofy 90s name that it should have been a dead give away.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Agreed, I have enjoyed her appearences in Ninjak greatly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamnit I'm adding it to my list on friday

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JordanKai posted:

Hell yeah!

*grumble grumble*

More books to add to my list.

edit: Also forgot to say, holy poo poo Ninjak has been on a tear recently. That almost wordless standalone issue was amazing. I'm assuming that the lack of backups in Ninjak has to do with him writing X-O. And speaking of, those X-O previews in Ninjak have gotten me so hyped it isn't funny.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 11, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Star Football Player XO

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So is Bloodshot Reborn finishing with Bloodshot USA? I haven't been keeping up with the news.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

They better make this a regular series

Also comixology is having a huge trade sale. I have everything except Shadowman and Dead Drop. Have no interest in dead drop is anything with Shadowman worth it?

Only the Ninjak arc in the Deadside. :v:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Russo brothers doing a quantum and woody tv series?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think Bloodshot somewhat relaunches soon? Jump on that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ninjak nooooooooo why couldn't you last forever.

Oh well time for a new Ninjak I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Hoooooly poo poo. I never expected this kind of stuff from Valiant but I am so on board.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/07/exclusive-valiant-comics-preview-matt-kindt-eternity.html

That looks like Brandon Graham stuff. And that is extremely my poo poo.