Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Hi guys.

I think I am interested in joining and taking over 'who da titoons' (yay worst team?), after talking briefly with Leperflesh. After having had read the rules doc, is there anything else I need to know before leaping in?

I'm sure this is a terrible way for me to waste some of my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Nothing you need to know other than your 2017 first pick was traded to me. Don't bother looking for the trade, or why it happened.

It did. Trust me.

For some reason I don't believe you...

(That said, can we start talking about trades? I suppose folks are just not active yet..)

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I have emailed the whole league from my gmail account to request folks report in here and also start collecting dues.

I have now officially spent wasted my money.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Do we have a sense of timing on the rookie draft? Probably soon ish? I'm out of town next week, but could still be responsive if necessary.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Reminder to address the studs going back into the rookie draft issue from the other thread.

Is the answer just that the rookie draft is rookie only and studs (dropped vets) require faab bidding?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Rookie draft is for all unsigned players, we need to update our rules if we want to change it to that.

I agree that would be a good way to do it. Have a special week where it's FAAB for all nonrooks.

It seems like a decent starting place (otherwise I could for example drop Julio and take him #1 to reduce his salary to 20).

For the other issue (keeping forever), could just add escalators in year 4-5 or whatever. Not having any kind of draft kinda sucks for teams at the bottom as they don't get any help in recovering.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I appear to only have view only access to the spreadsheet, but those times work for me.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I originally only shared edit access with the other commissioners. If you click to request access I'll grant it, though: I did that a few days ago for Epi Lepi.

Gotcha. Hard to do from mobile - essentially any time the week of the 27th works for me.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Generally, I feel like 10% is probably enough once players are 'fairly' priced -- the question is getting them there. I might say if last season you were a WR1/RB1 (/QB/TE/IDP?), the minimum should be say $8 instead of $1, and for a WR2/RB2 $4 or 5. Maybe even scaling down to $1 at WR-X. If that's even possible? That way you can get a discounted player and take advantage of that for several seasons which is sort of the point of dynasty, but they don't stay highly discounted for their entire career.

That minimum actually means that even the top players are looking at more than 10% functionally, but it also pushes those that are highly discounted up into the same 'high cost' territory after a few seasons, while allowing those few seasons of success because you got the right player.

A: I'd probably lean towards no on a new player, but yes on a new roster slot if one were added.
B: I think it's fine to leave it for next year and have a fully thought through solution instead of rushing to do it this season.
C.1: Should we just leave things as they are for now? Y
C.2: Should we keep the rookie/free agent in snake format, but adjust these starting salary numbers? N
C.3: If we decide to do C.2, should the salaries generally be higher, or lower, or a mix?
C.4: Should we dump the snake format and switch to an auction rookie/free agent draft? N - the issue for me is giving low ranked teams something to do / look forward to. a pure auction system makes it a lot harder for those teams to come back.
C.5: Irrespective of C2-4, should we separate out rookies from free agents, and just do a rookie draft, with free agents dealt with via FAAB? Yes, separate them out, but maybe have it be bidding that doesn't come from the seasonlong FAAB pool in one window?

Zauper fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 11, 2017

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

The issue I have with seperating the non-rooks out from the rookie draft is that our 5th pick last year was Coby Fleener right? Or 4th? It was something where he'd be $20.

The need was so great for that person at that draft pick they wanted Coby Fleener. Colby? I dunno.

That adds an element to the rookie draft that I've always liked.

Is that worth the downside of someone getting a top-end performing player for $20?

Maybe it is if there is a yearly adjustment that works.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I'd generally favor expanding roster for draft (and ignoring cap) and requiring compliance by 24h from draft end.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Zauper posted:

I'd generally favor expanding roster for draft (and ignoring cap) and requiring compliance by 24h from draft end.

I appear to have ownership of a team in the 2016 league, but not the 2017 league. Help?

Thinking trade... anyone interested in Dez or McFadden?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

God dammit I swear I updated that team already, MFL also forgot Teemu's email earlier. loving... the web UI even remembered his name when I started typing it in!

OK it's fixed. Spermy I've got Zauper's email addy.

You do (and Spermy, it's myusername @ gmail). However... According to MFL I still don't own the team and didn't receive an email.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yeah, MFL cleared out the email of Straight Bass Homie and left your teams email to be the old owner. Apparently when you roll to 2017 very recent changes don't get rolled over.

Weird.

Just forwarded you the email.

I'm in now, thanks.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Option A seems fine to me especially with the extra bench slots for the draft.

Agreed.

(Also, we are allowed to drop players currently, right?)

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yes, get your team set up for the Waivers and the draft.

Gotcha -- Anyone interested in Dez? I'm dropping him otherwise, so this is a chance to deny him to your opponents!

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Dez for $45?

Ugh that's steep. If you drop him and we all bid on him like idiots it's probably not going to drop much either.

Should be a fun waiver period this year!

Yeah, I think he's a bit overpaid at that price, but he's still likely to be a top contributor -- just doesn't fit with two other highly expensive WRs on the team, yikes.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

We can also limit how many groups a given owner can enter. The dropdown permits any number between 1 and 8.

I'd vote turn it on at 5 or so.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Keep it at 5, it'll be much more interesting there.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

atomictyler posted:

What are the rookie starting salaries? I can't find it on the rules. Need to make sure I have enough cap space to fit everything.

quote:

Salary of drafted players is determined based on their selection position, as follows:
The first four picks in the first round are paid $20
The fifth through eighth picks are paid $18
The ninth through twelfth picks are paid $16
All players drafted in the second round are paid $8
All players drafted in the third round are paid $4
All players drafted in the fourth round are paid $2
All remaining drafted players (fifth and later rounds) are paid $1

From the doc.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I mean, the thing about 5 here is it forces you to make choices and prioritize rather than going wide.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

The Zack posted:

Why are there 'rounds' in the blind bid waiver request interface? You can enter multiple claims in each round. Can someone please explain?

It's conditional bidding, and you can only have 5 'groups' bid.

So what happens is, let's say you decide you want to bid on a safety, but you'd be ok with any of say 7 safeties.

You could make a 'safety' group and bid $1 on the first safety, then $1 on the second, then $1 on the third, then $7 on the fourth if you wanted, then $1 on the fifth etc.

It processes by doing all the 'top level' claims first. If you win your top level claim, the group condition is satisfied and it stops bidding. If not, if then processes the second level claim for all groups not satisfied. etc.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

On another note: What are we doing with the two abandoned teams? PM's, emails have gone unanswered. I'm Pretty Garbage At This hasn't ever logged into the 2017 site. Gridiron Chefs did 18 days ago and nothing since.

I've emailed, PM'd, and I'm out of options.

They have 3hrs to fix their teams for the waivers and drafts. Gridiron will bust his cap space even if we just fixed his IR/Taxi stuff, but Garbage is OK if we fixed his IR stuff.

The draft will be all messed up if they don't fix their team before then, because we basically have a 10-person draft instead of 12.

Do we swap them out with new owners?

Given time pressure, I'd support this.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

When do rosters lock for drops and what are we doing about Gridiron? I didn't even realize they had gone incommunicado.

Rosters should have already locked for drops I think? Because the add waiver is 23 hours from now and there's a 24 hour lock on adding a drop..

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

OK here's what I propose.

If we drop players as described above, can we also fill his taxi squad using 'highest rookie ADP' to use his picks at a minimum? Still sucks, but at least there's something.

Ideal is he shows up or we get a taker.

e: doing the math, putting luck (by himself) on the taxi squad gives him enough space.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 29, 2017

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

luck can't go on the taxi squad lol!
IR is only 50% salary discount

e. Highest ADP rookie according to this?

Sorry, I meant IR not taxi squad lol. The two coming off would add 23.5 to cap hit, luck going on would subtract 20. 11.5 currently free, means would have 8 remaining.

And sure, that seems like a reasonable source (though the blank rows are...weird)

e: we could also postpone the vet auction until after the draft?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I think we've got enough buffer to push the waiver out to wed. night or thursday AM, then everyone still has over a day to decide on draft picks.

We can also still invert the order as Teemu was suggesting: do the draft, then do waivers after. I don't really have a preference.

Given the timing works out, I'd probably rather waivers process first. But then, I need like infinite players to fill my roster, so.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Are dudes on the wrong team for you guys too?

Burkhead was a Bengal until yesterday, Latavius Murray is still a raider (been a Viking for months), just little dumb poo poo like that.

These same players in my other MFL leagues are correct, they just aren't updating in our league. Is there a setting somewhere?

It seems right to me? When I look in add/drop, Latavius Murray is listed with the correct team. When I view his profile, he's on the right team. When I look at last year's stats, he's listed with stats from the correct team (OAK), which is different from his current team as it is from last year. Same logic holds true for me in other MFL leagues.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I'd vote for using end of season rankings as the tie breaker.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

also it goes 12 rounds by default but I'll be shocked it we have more than like seven.

I am currently 10 players from max. Assuming I win 5 waivers, I'd need 8 rounds to fill my roster. There is one other team with 13 (15 to fill), and one other with 15 (10 to fill).

So at least some of us are sitting through 8 rounds minimum.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think that makes sense. Presumably I can put in a custom franchise order based on last season's rankings, and then tell the system to use that to break ties?

The page I found says you can create a custom tiebreaker order.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yeah that's an oddity for sure Leper. The mfl page says it doesn't work that way.

Lemme look at it in like 2hrs, maybe open a ticket.

If we want to resolve it by moving timmons to Leper, that's fine -- just give me the next guy I had in order to bid on. Looks like he's still a FA.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I'm double-checking the draft settings.

I noticed one was wrong and am changing it. Specifically: if you don't make your pick within your 2 minute allotment, first MFL will try to draft whoever is at the top of your "My Draft List." If your list is empty of available players, now MFL will skip your pick instead of using ADP.

This is important because you are allowed to skip your pick, and, ADP for rookies is probably not based on dynasty rankings and therefore probably pretty jacked up.

This also means it's very very important that everyone should fill in your My Draft List just in case you get disconnected during the draft.

If you time out twice in a row, the system will stop giving you your 2 minute window and will just start taking the top guy in your My Draft List. Remember that even when it's not your turn, you can enter your next draft pick from the draft screen. This is different from your My Draft List - it's "pre-drafting" your guy, and takes precedence.

e. You might want to skip your pick in order to not draft a rookie at a salary you cannot afford, just as an example. You also are not obligated to fill your roster or your taxi squad. You should probably try to trade away picks you don't want, though.

I'm not sure how to fill your 'my draft list' generally.

Also, we can't currently fill the pre draft list:
THIS LEAGUE IS SETUP FOR A ROOKIE-ONLY DRAFT, BUT IT'S ALSO SET TO NOT ALLOW ROOKIES TO BE ADDED. THE COMMISSIONER MUST CHANGE AT LEAST ONE OF THESE TWO SETTINGS IN ORDER FOR THE DRAFT TO PROCEED.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Spermy and Teemu agreed on the Timmons adjustment.

I now have Timmons, and have just traded him away. His salary is $2.

I am subtracting $2 from my available FAAB budget, to account for what I should have spent. Zauper has no budget adjustment because Dansby costs the same as Timmons and he already paid for Timmons.

Timmons and Dansby should be set to $2 salary.

Yep / perfect, thank you.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I have added the three extra roster slots.

DO NOT FILL THESE ROSTER SLOTS THROUGH TRADES TODAY! They are only for your rookies, and if you use them during the draft, you will have to move rookies to your taxi squad to free them up, as previously discussed.

To verify -- maximum roster is 24 + 2 on IR and 3 on the taxi squad, correct? So for the duration of the draft it's 27/2?

And after the changes, starting roster is:
QB RB RB WR WR TE [WR/RB/TE-FLEX] DE/DL LB CB/S [IDPFLEX] [IDPFLEX] for 12 starters?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

It looks like the draft is technically 'not finished' yet. http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/options?L=79286&O=17

I assume a commissioner can end that sucker?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. Hill may still have a job and part of a timeshare in cincinnatti, but there's an opportunity cost to taking him over some other RB with either more long-term future prospects, or a clearer role.

I imagine next week after we see how he and Mixon get used, his value will either go up to something like what you bid... or drop into the $1 range.

Yeah, I have essentially 0 faith in Hill. He was terrible last year. Mixon is clearly supposed to take his job. Gio is the third down back either way, which limits his upside even further. I'd rather hold Gio (like I did).

I feel like his long term role is less clear than several players on my bench.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

You have 72 hours to make the decision, and then you'll have to promote him to your bench and start him in his next game. That's enough time to do Wednesday waivers before you move him off taxi.

You should be able to drop Turbin now?

When does the stealer have to make room for the steal?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I will keep and start him y'all can gently caress off. How long do I have to promote him before I lose him? I'll love to trade one of Mosely/Timmons/Jordy if anyone wants them so I can clear a roster spot. I tried to drop Turbin but out wouldn't let me

I have some interest in jordy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Since you can't announce a steal until tuesday morning at the earliest, you always will have through the wendesday waiver wire transaction before you're forced to clear a roster spot. If someone waits till after the Wed run to announce a steal, +72 hours takes you through the Saturday waivers, so again you can use waivers to help clear a spot.

How does this interact with the 72h rule and Thursday games? Thursday night players are immune from getting stolen? (because you can't claim on Monday's)?