Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Leperflesh posted:

Does anyone want Kizer? He's taxi squad eligible for another year, and represents a long-term kind of shot at maybe he gets better in green bay and becomes relevant next year or something. His salary this year is $9, which I think is a reasonable hit ($10 next year) if he winds up starting for any team anywhere.

:justass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If anyone wants any of my LBs that aren't Jones or Jack I'll gladly trade them. Especially looking to move Mosley

I’d be interested in Mosley or Lee

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

I own picks in 2019 too! And 2020!

Ah well, I see your logic anyway!

Timeline sounds good Leper. I would say allow drops. Who cares, it's a slow draft for rookies. FA drops wouldnt really change anything in my opinion.

You want this trade or not? It’s been there for nearly a week.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yank it if you got to. I am trying to trade for more players at which point I will need to dump that pick.

Sorry, I actually forgot it was there because I am a bad person.

I figured it was either going to be accepted in 5 seconds or a backup incase something else happened.

I’ll pull it, but still interested.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I would have given you picks for Luck...

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

You should have made offers then.

I should make offers for every player on every team just in case it’s one that might get dropped?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Just paid. Sorry thought I paid for 2 years when jumping in.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I don't think I'm going to be asking anything that high. I've gotten two offers and sort of a lukewarm discussion currently going but nothing has wowed me yet if anyone wants to throw something in the ring I'm planning to pick or trade within the hour

Feel free to counter

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I’d like to jump back in the 2nd if anyone wants to move their pick.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm definitely entertaining offers for either or both of these picks I'm currently on the clock with

That involves too much work on my end and it’s been a long day.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I had my heart set on Edmunds. drat you Zauper

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

therealVECNAmfers posted:

Maybe I live in a backwards state, but the bars and people's homes all fill up around here for UFC to watch people get beat into a bloody pulp. They cheer for knockouts and broken limbs.

:gary:

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Woooo my 1.02 is getting an MRI on his knee. Remind me never to do an early draft again.

I don't give a poo poo; half you guys can miss the rookie draft, but it's happening 3rd week of preseason or later next year.

Think your definition of early is wrong for dynasty.

All my other dynasty leagues did rookie drafts back in June.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

coulda had both Hurst and Edmonds if I didn't pull a Minnesota Vikings

oh well

Just message an admin before the next pick asking to get added to your team. No harm done.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I’m going to drop Alshon Jeffery if anyone wants him make me an offer.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Why drop Mack?

Could have just taxi’d him

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Guice ACL Tear.

1.02 down the drain to help me this year.

At least it’s not a contract league.

I lost him in a contract league so that year is burned up.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Who would you have taken instead?

Penny?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

No reason to lock rookies. After being drafted they should be treated just like any other roster’d athlete except the ability to be on TS.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Dont draft rookies and then drop them just to keep them out of the grasp of people behind you in the draft order. It's a dick move.

Nothing is written, but maybe it should be.

Eh think that’s minor. If they want them after being dropped they can grab in FA.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Was the taxi squad steal rule stuff ever finalized?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah the commissioners discussed it, I think we presented the new rules a while back?

We probably need to specify an exact "start date" for when you can start stealing from squads. Otherwise: the new stuff is basically, you announce a theft, you have to pay some FAAB bucks regardless just to make the attempt, and if you're successful you'll be trading a future pick for the player you're stealing. You can still be blocked by the owner starting the player in question.

How many FAAB bucks?

I’m confused. Aren’t the FAAB bucks just what is left over from your cap?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Nah. You get... oh god... $100 faab bucks? Bid on waivers that run twice a week.

There is strategy to it cuz if no one has more than 30 next year and I have 31 then I can drop anyone I want with a higher salary and get them back at $31.

Huh?

So I can max out my cap with rookies and FA and still grab waivers with some side bank account?

Sorry this confuses me why FA get Monopoly money and rostered guys and draft picks have real cash and cap.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah the FAAB is you get $100 a year. You spend it for free agents, including in the upcoming free agent draft, and we decided there needed to be some kind of cost for making a taxi squad steal attempt even if it is blocked, to discourage just freely spamming them and effectively rendering the taxi squads useless.

So making a taxi squad claim costs you $5 of your FAAB dollars.

E. You spend FAAB dollars to bid on players. The winning bid becomes that player's salary. You have a $250 salary cap, all your player's salaries must be under that amount.

Yup, among other considerations. Of course, you don't get to keep FAAB you never spend, but I think a lot of owners try to keep a good FAAB reserve all year, just in case. I don't think we've had a situation where nobody has more than $30 left, and if at least one player still has a good reserve, trying to drop the salary of your star player is pretty risky.

So if I have $8 cap and $100 Monopoly money I can still bid $80 on Gronk and he will make my roster?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Sorry I know the goon way is to make things as complicated as possible then justify it as being simple, but why not just make your FAAB and FA budget what is left of the cap?

I don’t get what having FAAB dollars are if I can’t spend them because I only have x amount of cap.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

My guess is that from an implementation standpoint it actually is easier to have a flat $100 FAAB budget than to have to keep updating everyone's budgets to reflect their cap space

I dunno. Just making a hard cap once drafts start seems like an easier choice.

Then MFL enforces your cap.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qBQSgia

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I think maybe I get it.

For example if I have $60 in cap space, if i bid $60 on Gronk and win, that $60 comes out of my $100 FAAB budget leaving $40.

But since I have zero cap space I can’t use that $40 anyways.

Then if I drop a $2.00 player, then bid $200, and win on another player, my cap is again full, but I only have $38 to work with rest of season?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

goddamn right i do

hope y'all ready for a fun FA auction

Go make your draft pick

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Jaylen Samuels
Deon Cain
Arden Key

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. I still have this small worry that the league can't handle two "startup" draft/auctions in the same year, in which case we may have to run our auction on a third-party app.

One of my leagues runs 3. Auction just needs to be run through the auction system and not as an actual draft.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Zauper posted:

Ugh, that's lovely. No way to tell if I want to drop a player for space without knowing who I win in the auction.

Well yah that's the gamble. Or drop them now and then if you miss on the others you want to win in the auction, just nominate them again.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Can this just be tabled until January? No point in arguing over it again right now.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Next year just combine FAAB and remaining cap dollars and implement a cut penalty of something like 65% (or lower that was just a random number) that applies back to their cap number to keep people from dropping and rebidding.

No one is going to cut Gronk (say at $55 bid) get penalized $35.75 and then try to win him back for under $20.

It eliminates all that and forces people to be more thoughtful with their lineup

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Zauper posted:

Can't reasonably add cut penalties without either giving people a free period to cut or restarting the league.

Yah. After the season ends and before MFL rolls over you can cut whoever you want. Then when MFL rolls over into 2019 implement cut penalty.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Rishard Matthews changed to $4.

All Blind Bid dollar amounts have been adjusted.

Can you shove Arden Key back on my team plz

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Thanks for this. That explains the Long Island thing, but this is what I was trying to say during the draft.

Balls of Fury was fine. He was perfectly in line with his salary cap. He had to move a guy to his taxi squad is all.

It shouldn't have been doom and gloom. Just a "you're done, fix your poo poo" and it's all good.

I am still not sure why we swapped players and salaries.

because he said he didn't want to taxi any of his guys I think.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Here are the rules from another one of my dynasty leagues where TS stuff is a big deal.

quote:

Section 2.6: Taxi Squad Claims
TS Claim Key Date(s): Weekly (to include the off-season and regular season - postseason not included)

Tuesday (3pm EST) - Thursday (10am EST): Teams can make claims on TS players
Note –Teams currently receive compensation (draft pick/s) if their TS player is claimed by another team. All claims are FINAL.

Teams have the ability to claim TS players from other franchises in their conference.
Once the IFL post-season starts, teams cannot make TS claims.
The team claiming a TS player from an opposing team pays the compensation set below to the franchise losing the TS Player; one draft pick from the same round the player was drafted, one draft pick from the round after the player was drafted. Teams can use their picks from the next two seasons (if the non-refundable $25 fee has been paid) as compensation. For example, picks from 2019 or 2020 can be used for a player claimed in 2018. A team that is claiming the TS player may give up draft picks from an earlier round than what is required if they do not have the exact round of draft picks available. The compensation for an undrafted TS player (e.g. a player signed through free agency or the auction) will be a 7th round pick.
Teams making a taxi claim are required to spend earlier year picks first.
For example: Team A claims a player with a 1st round value from Team B.
If Team A has all of their 2018 & 2019 picks: Team A must surrender 1st and 2nd round picks from 2018 as compensation.
If Team A only has their 2nd round pick in 2018, but all their picks in 2019: They must surrender the 2nd round pick in 2018 and their 1st round pick in 2019.

Basically the only time taxi squad claims are closed, are from the start of the playoffs until MFL rolls over to the next year.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I've hesitated to define a tuesday to thursday window, because of thursday night games - we have a minimum 72 hours in advance window so you can claim a thursday night game player on monday night, if that's >72 hours before thursday night football, but no later. Also there are some saturday games each year so that window closes on wednesday, not thursday for those guys. (note the NFL avoids making teams play on monday and then thursday, so those players were eligible from sunday night after their previous games ended).

But we should definitely define a start and end day for theft. I'm not sure we want theft during the offseason, because that's when the whole league pretty much shuts down from february to like august, people are out of touch, one or two owners drop out of the league, and frankly I'm personally burnt out on football by february and want nothing to do with it for a while. It helps that we do not do draft activity around the NFL draft like other dynasty teams.

This is also the first year we've extended taxi eligibility to sophomores, so last year quite simply everyone on anyone's team lost taxi eligibility and squads were empty until the rookie draft anyway. Now that we have sophomore taxi eligibility we have to think about these things.

There is never going to be a perfect setting.

For dynasty I like waivers being added Thursday morning and it's FA from then until Tuesday morning. In case a fluke injury happens and a guy is scrabling to fill his lineup.

But TS claims only happen Tuesday - Thursday so you can't go steal players on taxi just to fill a one week hole if a fluke injury does happen.

Waivers and TS claims need to be opposite of each other imo. You can either pay to grab someone off TS immediately or wait to see if your bid wins the waiver.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I used to agree with you on point 1. But in this day and age where everyone has a smart phone and can get notified exactly when something breaking happens it’s different.

Long gone is breaking news from local sports radio and you go grab someone before it makes the paper the next day.

Besides if you aren’t active trying to find an edge then you especially shouldn’t be in a dynasty league (but that is just my opinion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

That’s one extreme. I’m talking about open FA when teams aren’t practicing, someone shifts from Q to D or D to out and you grab anyone on a Saturday night or Sunday morning so you can have some type of starter.

During the week I fully agree a waiver system needs to be in place. But just like a redraft, after waivers process it need to be FA the rest of the week and then reset.

I think we are saying the same thing but both went to opposite ends of the extreme.

I’ve also been drinking heavily this afternoon so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯