Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Delicious Dungeon updated.

Yet another fantastic chapter, and this one's not even in the same dungeon! It's got some great world-building, I didn't expect that honestly.

It never occurred to me that there were dungeons outside of this main one but it makes sense when you think back to chapter 1 where Senshi talks about how people already used slimes for cooking and again with the Mandrakes having a competitive growing scene.

Mikl posted:

The author's other works (Terrarium in a Drawer, The Dragon's Seven Adorable Children) show that he's consistently good at blending the fantastic with the ordinary and at worldbuilding, and Delicious Dungeon is no exception.
I see this get nitpicked on the chans, but the mangaka Kui Ryoku is a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

LOL when Laius just gave Marcille that piece of tentaclus while she was sick and couldn't refuse.

Also, if that new dwarf just thonked Laius on the head with the arrow, why did the monster let them go? I must have missed it. Did Laius' snail sword do something?

Going by the ears and fact that she smelled the group way ahead of anyone else I think she's a Halfling. Just one that really loves equipment.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

So Namari is a dwarf, right? She's an expert in craftmanship and physically tougher than a human.

I want to say she's an atypical halfling that has a stockier build and and a thing for equipment. But dwarf is a safe bet at least. It's her ears and sharp senses that throw me off.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I could see GURPS Dungeon Fantasy being a good base for a Dungeon Meshi campaign. But the game would also need some front loading of monster carves and their nutritional values whatever system you would use.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

That chapter owned.

I wish the joke outfits in Monster Hunter were as good as this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki

I've yet to read an MMO themed comic where the concept of a Utility class isn't some bizarre alien concept to the playerbase. Maybe things have changed but when I was active with runescape and everquest years ago I spent most of my time mining ore and smithing for my guild so we could have armor and cash inflow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

e: oh yeah, I didn't see it mentioned but I was reading Konjiki no Word Master - Yuusha Yonin ni Makikomareta Unique Cheat up until this latest chapter but I'm done. It wasn't really my thing to start with and I mostly kept reading it because I'd followed it and couldn't be assed to delete it off my list, but it might be something one of y'all would like more than I did.

Read about 10 chapters and don't feel like going any further than that. Not even Shield Hero had a protagonist as abrasive as this guyo and he arguably had more reasons to be that way. That guy is pure edge and angst and not even in highschool would that have been interesting enough to carry what's become the glut of "sent to fantasy land" cliche stories. Everyone is more interesting than him, there are at least three more interesting premises that are wasted because Hiiro just wants to be a cardboard cutout.

So yeah it's bad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Superstring posted:

This is true, it's also a bit more overtly D&D-esque. You pinpoint the exact moment the group changed editions.

Which is fitting since the original idea sprang from a series of D&D session transcripts (replays).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xun posted:

Yeah I thought the idea was dragons slept most of the time so stuff gets digested slower

They dragon's not being asleep is an odd point. I'm of the mind that the skeleton isn't Farlyn's but probably one of a female orc (since males have horns on their heads). Doesn't explain why the staff found its way inside the dragon though. But since we never see Farlyn get eaten I'm still holding out that she's just deeper in the dungeon.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

They saw Farlyn get eaten though, didn't they? And the dragon was also identified. I didn't feel like there was any room for ambiguity; if that's not her skull then that just means that there's even less of her body left.

They never see her get swallowed. She's in it's mouth until she casts the teleportation spell and after that nobody knows.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm just going to say that there is a new chapter of Sweet Dreams in Demon Castle and I'll just leave this excerpt here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I Thought I Would Starve Looking for My Little Sister Who Got Devoured by a Dragon, but It Turns out You Can Just Eat the Dungeon

That's the Dr. Strangelove variant cover.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nielsm posted:

Poor Senshi.

I like to imagine that Senshi is the only one who can see the flavor text for each dish.

This chapter was a roller coaster of information and action.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Kudos to the artist for making a character go from terrifying to cute in the span of a chapter.

Shame we'll get a hiatus but this chapter is almost perfect for setting up a break.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

Still think Dinners & Dragon is the best choice.

Only if we have fantasy Guy Fieri show up for a chapter to comment on the taste of Dire Boar ribs.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I'm rather fond of the so-hypercompetent-it's-kinda-scary secretary trope!

I feel bad for the Demon King, he doesn't know what's about to happen to him but on the plus side his infrastructure is about to get a massive boost.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Proper Petrification Positioning Prevents Potential Pulverization

There is a none-to-subtle horror in knowing that whatever post you pick may be the only thing people remember you for in the coming years.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Dungeon Meshi 35

(it'shappening.gif)
Short chapter but it still feels like it started and stopped at the right points. Shame we have to wait a month to see what Kabru is up too. Someone should also get Sureau a plate or five. The man is malnourished and he should have learned his lesson from last time.

The feathered chick interests me a lot too. At first I had her pegged as the groups priest but it also looks like she's a summoner and/or beast tamer.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

advokat posted:

It's not a huge leap that someone in a Japanese party summoned (or turned into?) a Japanese-looking monster, no. I guess my question is, which one?

(And yeah, Google says that's probably an Ushioni.)

If I'm not mistaken, one of the character classes from a later wizardry game is the Onmyouji. From what I know about Japanese mythology (through Shaman King), they were spiritualist who were said to be able to control various spirits and Youkai. Of which oni fall under that banner.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know what makes this worse
Knowing that I have to wait until October to see what happens next, or thinking in the back of my head that Farlyn looked radiant while crushing people to death.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

It also lessens the impact of the whole tpk going on right now because you know that they can all get resurrected at some point. Although this deep in the dungeon, it's probably less likely if you get tpk'ed, that anyone will be there soon to drag your corpse out.
There is still the possibility of resurrection complications due to the whole 1/13th rule. At least as it applies to Sureau's priest and the dog, they were straight up crushed under the weight of Farlyn. So while the ninja's are easy enough to rez, I don't know how the rules of healing will apply to a pulped upper body.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

So I just binge my way through the series and with this chapter dropping I did a perfect time to do so. Jesus Christ.
It really does feel like a DND game where the DM was like "oh here is a goofy idea, lets have a sort little campaign based around eating monsters" and then the Elf player does something she shouldn't have done and the DM is like "oh, I can use this."

The current encounter could have also been avoided had Chilchack or anyone else stopped Maizuru from making the fire produce so much smoke. The main group was careful to not draw attention to themselves prior to this especially with the miniature drakes patrolling the skies.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think everyone would have appreciated getting the drop on Farlyn in her current state than the other way around.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was probably never going to happen. the terrain was reshaping itself to help her and hinder intruders.
Then the setup is this. Farlyn needs space and presumably time to get to places which is why the harpies arrive sooner than she does. If Laius and Co. had not been ambushed they would still be dealing with the current conflict over the revival of Farlyn and Sureau's anger. But assuming that people start moving the main group was still able to evade detection successfully from the smaller creatures.

Her size works against her in that she either has to navigate the larger streets and buildings, or has to utilize the rooftops. The latter could make it easier to spot her especially if the ninjas and catgirl are present. It would have been interesting to see but it can still go so many ways. They are at a numbers disadvantage and all it takes is one creature spotting the group for Farlyn to be drawn to them. Maybe they could have spotted her first and maybe not.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't think that it was going to go well with this encounter but seeing her first is better than the current situation.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Actually, I think you'll find only MOST of the cute Japanese girls have left.

Granted I don't think we've properly ascertained that the remaining one is actually from not-Japan, but presumably.

If you haven't already, you should read the Prototype one shot. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see how the original party was composed and how that relates to current events.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What works for the deduction is that there are two layers of information we can use. Something obvious that gets called into question a bit later, and a smaller visual detail that shows how much the Laius knows people.
Chillchack indeed isn't the type to ask for help, but the fact that the same chillchack uses curses in the common tongue despite chapters ago he had a statement about there not being enough insults in common and resorting to halfling ones. But the fake is the one doing the thing that Chillchack almost lost a leg for.

Marcille isn't keen on eating the eggs of humanoids, but the other Marcille masks this by saying it's all for Farlyn with a defeatist attitude. But how she handles water is the clue as well.

Senshi isn't really a hard guess since we all know the square nose one is the fake. But the statement about gathering all the eggs flew under my radar completely.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We got concentrated smug/proud sister and Marcille with her hair over the eyes. That was a good page.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GlenQuagmire posted:

It's been a while, but Dungeon Meshi is finally back:
https://mangadex.com/chapter/84083/1

wasting good food
There are many ways to make a character unlikeable, and this is one of them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Laius truly is a man's dog.

A dog man.

A man who thinks like a dog.

On all levels but Physical, he is already a doge.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

So... how many nipples DOES she have?

She looks like she was crossed with a standard piebald cat, but looking it up it seems domestic cats can have between four to ten nipples. I didn't know that was something that could vary so much within a species. Rule of Two says she should have two nipples per standard litter but magic means that might not reliable. Her body shape is mostly human, so that suggests two. Really, they should have just let him count.

Guess you'll have to wait for the next Daydream Hour when Kui draws all the characters in Swimsuits and you can count the cats bikini tops.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's not so much that Isekai is unique in being escapist fiction, it's that the current era seems to be more heavily dominated by the type of escapism that's centered around giving readers an implacable main character who is borderline a mary sue. Back in the 90s and 00s, the kinds of stories I would see were more typical of Narnia or Alice in Wonderland format, a person traveling to a place while also leaving behind some issue or conflict in the real world only for them to return to the real world after their adventure with the newfound courage/knowledge to confront that thing. So anime like Now and Then, Here and There or Escaflowne. You would still see stories like the John Carter stories (from what I remember of the books) where the main character just stays in their new location but I don't remember them being in the majority these types of stories on either side of the Pacific.

Fast forward to some time in the mid-late 00s and reincarnation really started too boom as a plot hook in at least Japanese isekai. Main characters are also given a lot more power to the point of invalidating any actual journey of self discovery, and by extension no responsibility to return too since they are effectively dead as far as Earth is concerned. It's led to so many really basic stories stripped of any journey and replaced with an OPMC who just walks through conflict and dances around their ever growing harem. And that's not to say it's all bad but it's made it so that it's harder for me to find stories that really grip in this genre.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I, for one, would really love to see a manga adaptation of the OG isekai LN -- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

That monkeys paw would lead to merlin being a 300yo loli.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

In a perfect world it'd be disney's Sword in the Stone version of Merlin with guest appearance by Madam Mim.
I wonder how Hank would react to becoming a squirrel?

Paracelsus posted:

I dunno, the "sticking your dick in a power outlet" genre is rather hard to make work well.
The thing is all those hack writers just go right from the MC seeing the plug to putting their dick in it. They don't bother to develop anything in the situation or even give the outlet a defined character. There's no tension or drama. Just imagine if you saw the MC see the outlet. Then it gets stuck in his mind, the shape of it, the voltage. He starts staring hungrily at the outlet for 5 chapters and then after some emotional buildup he goes for it? It's not groundbreaking writing but it's better than what we already get.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Video Game mechanics can be just as interesting as exploring a new world. See The Gamer a Korean web-comic/manwha where the main character gets korean MMO powers and stats and applies them to real life. And it mostly explores how crazy that can get.
There was a book I'd read back in high school called 'Heir Apparent' which was about a girl who gets trapped inside a VR game and basically has to figure out how to survive the scenario to end the game otherwise her brain is going to cook inside her skull. She can die in the game but it just resets her to the start of the scenario every time so she can use that to her advantage but dying means she's lost time for her own survival.

It's not in the same vein of item and mechanic exploitation like with The Gamer or Overlord, so much as it is her figuring out who to talk too and how to acquire the limited number of enchanted items that will be helpful. But I think it's a good example of game mechanics and the framework they provide can be a benefit to the story and not just an excuse for the author to not actually develop his setting or world.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

That's Re:Monster, it's loving awful, don't read it.
It's aggressively bad in a way I don't see often. Not even talking about the hentai aphrodisiac nonsense, But the MC is just this blatant Gary Stu that can "do no wrong" and always gets the right skill for the task with no brakes on his progress and everyone loves him even though he's technically the next demon overlord in the making. Yeesh, I regret picking that one up.

So it's going to be another kingdom builder type story?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sounds like Spirit Migration
https://mangadex.org/title/14437/spirit-migration

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Spirit Migration was pretty much fine but it got axed, and the ending is pretty abrupt.
That was my thought as well. It was a simple story but had an overall likeable cast and a neat gimmick.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

so why does no one else do that

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the mc can only be special when everyone around him is written to be unnaturally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Bravest but he has a point about the church's design. At the very least if you have an eye for architecture it shows a lack of research on the artists behalf to create a western-style cathedral that is consistent with a particular time period or style of architecture, as well as not maintaining continuity with it's layout. At worst it also undermines the notion of what the church is about and is just coded as 'It's a vaguely christian church' if the idea is supposed to be different.

Granted I don't read this series and didn't even know what was wrong with the first picture posted until it was explained.