Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lowtax posted:

bad ads (pops, malware, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sorry you had to look at a picture of the bad orange man though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
This isn't a "bad ad" per se but it is an ad with a poem about abortion written at the fifth grade level and I wanted to share it with all of you.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Can we do something about this one?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Probably not, since they paid money and it's also a pretty funny joke and doesn't cause a pop-up or malware to be installed

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KoRMaK posted:

Probably not, since they paid money and it's also a pretty funny joke and doesn't cause a pop-up or malware to be installed

I don't get the joke.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they want you to join the game to kill people like that. It's not very well worded. There's also that game where they're fighting fascists or whatever.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Charles posted:

I think they want you to join the game to kill people like that. It's not very well worded. There's also that game where they're fighting fascists or whatever.

So there are paedos playing that game who hate zombies, and goons lure them in by playing as naked little boys, and then shoot them? I think I got it now, but it's definitely a bad ad.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm sorry that your humor unit is defective

But, I would guess that a naked little boy is some players name, and also, the ad is trying to bolster goon numbers to go troll those people in that game.

It's also really funny to see that a naked little boy killed you. I dunno how you can read that and not laugh

The Urban Dead thread has been going on for a while, it's a goon swarm thing or whatever.

Pladinus, can you clarify what you think makes it a bad ad? Genuinely curious

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know, maybe having 'a naked little boy' close to the phrase 'suck dick strong' is a bit too risqué for me.

E: also, on closer inspection, it says 'you were killed', so I'm still not sure who's supposed to be the goon, and who's the paedo in this scenario.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 25, 2020

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Paladinus posted:

So there are paedos playing that game who hate zombies, and goons lure them in by playing as naked little boys, and then shoot them? I think I got it now, but it's definitely a bad ad.

I mean, I guess that's a noble cause and all as far as goon gaming pursuits go, but I still think it's not a good ad because it definitely doesn't read the way it's intended to.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I don't get the joke with this one. Feels like the kind of weird which gets you asked to leave the dinner party.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

oh but seriously I posted:

I don't get the joke with this one. Feels like the kind of weird which gets you asked to leave the dinner party.

Had to quote you jus to be sure my ad blocker wasn't blocking something. You didn't link to anything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I posted in the urban dead thread about the banner being confusing and nobody replied.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Do realize that there have been incidents of people trolling threads and groups by buying banner ads that are actively just bad. Last year I think it was that the eve thread got linked by a banner ad with 10to 15 year old posts and ads that would never fly today. Sometimes someone gets there rear end in a knot and decides to upload a banner ad to make a group seem lovely.

Or whatever that one was to a literally empty forum a month ago as another example.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Why are we always getting hit with NordVPN "exclusive deals" from Lowtax that are exactly the same as if you just go to NordVPN normally without an affiliate tag? I think we at least deserve a free pint of mangosteen juice with our VPN contracts, thanks.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I read the front page article on the HBO Max services, and got a video in the middle of the article, and did one of those pop-to-corner things since it was off screen. It was just "5 things you didn't know about Dwayne Johnson", then went to "5 things you didn't know about cat whiskers". I tried the Bad Apples article and nothing, and then the one on the original Playstation on modern TV and it was some 5 travel things.

Is this a banner ad injecting things into the articles? They didn't seem to be selling anything at the ends of the videos. Or is it some kind of bitcoin mining poo poo that acts as a video to keep you watching while it uses your processor?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's just a public service. Who doesn't want to know more about The Rock and cat whiskers?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
So doe ads that get hit through AdNauseum still register for SA revenue? I was never clear on the explanation, and I get the feeling most folk using AdNausem wouldn't care, so it's not in a FAQ over there.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

one of these is not like the others

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

It appears to just link to the forums main page. Maybe somebody is just really nostalgic for the late 90s?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

i ain't a narc who likes to post in qcs but unless this is an extremely in-poor-taste celebration of pride month yeah, this sucks

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It'll be deleted soon

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The only banner ad right now should be for the announcement and how to cancel your Gaming Garbage.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Thank you to whoever deleted the giant flashing slur ad.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
no problem

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I dunno if someone rebought it but the flashing F* banner is still there for me.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Garrand posted:

I dunno if someone rebought it but the flashing F* banner is still there for me.

Probably rebought. Jeff is probably a bit busy, but I'll let him know.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Athanatos posted:

Probably rebought. Jeff is probably a bit busy, but I'll let him know.

Yeah they rebought it. Came here to report it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Also still seeing that ad

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Poque posted:

Also still seeing that ad

no you're not

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kolby posted:

no you're not

It literally is showing on my control panel when I came to click on this new post.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ignore kolby. Jeffrey, the guy who would take care of that, is engaged in buying the forum off of Lowtax (see announcement). I'm sure once he sees this post he will delete it.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Poque posted:

It literally is showing on my control panel when I came to click on this new post.

JESUS CHRIST, can you NOT post nsfw poo poo here? Thank you

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's deleted, come back if you see it again, it's at least the second time somebody bought it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Thanks!

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Poque posted:

Thanks!

you're welcome

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

sincx posted:

Someone please get rid of this ad:

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/9/8/7805.0002.gif

I rather not be constantly reminded of forum drama when browsing.

Arrhythmia posted:

drat I guess that rando wasn't lying about filing a FOIA request

therobit posted:

Came here to post this after posting a thread in QCS like a dumb dumb.

It's kind of nuts that we don't have any sort of front-end vetting for ads.

Clawtopsy posted:

came here to post about the lowtax ad, daaaaamn

Arrhythmia posted:

They bought another one.

qnqnx posted:

As long they can freely chargeback the ad costs, they will keep doing it.

KoRMaK posted:

you wouldnt want to know if the head of the forums was potentially a domestic abuser?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, since the second ad linked to a less sketchy-looking URL, I went ahead and read through what it contains. And I honestly don't see how it is damning evidence of anything other than the local investigator who wrote most of the entries being an abject embarrassment. Whoever is buying these things seems to be taking a really dumb "CHECKMATE ATHESITS!" approach to it, and it simply doesn't contain anything like what they seem to think it does.

Goons Are Great posted:

Yeah, it really much isn't anything worse than what Lowtax already said, it's just a regular two sides tell different stories thing collected by the police and not really any evidence or whatever.

Either way, an ad to embarrass the site owner seems dumb, trying to make more people get into this stuff is even worse and it certainly has no value.

Fayez Butts posted:

I can't believe lowtax doesn't want goons to discuss in depth his failed marriage

Bundy posted:

From what I can tell, it's the full doc of the incident report lowtax posted the header for in his gbs thread as a triumphant "if I was the bad guy why does this exist" post. Given the contents of the pdf in the ad, if it's genuine, it's not quite the ah ha exoneration it was claimed to be originally. Nevertheless, as pointed out it's just confirmation of he said/she said, with language heavily slanted against lowtax (thus no doubt why the ad was bought).

Yet he opened a whole thread on the subject in GBS. I am shocked it has become a hot topic. :thunk:

thanks for making this the best place to post on the internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lmao