Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Watching the game with a bunch of saffers, me buying one of them, that was intense. So intense I forgot to drink more than 2 beers (at 9 am). The Welsh came out playing better than expected and took us by surprise. I took one amazing try to actually win it. Hats off to the Welsh.
As for the french mutiny. It worked for them last world cup so might as well try it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm beginning to think it was a bad idea for the Boks to to their group.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
1. South Africa (as I am from there)
2. Canada (as I live there now)
3. Argentina (because they are perpetual underdogs)
4. France (because they are hilarious and you never know what you are going to get)
5. Southern Hemisphere teams (except Australia)
6. Anyone playing against Australia
6. England (out of pity)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As a ex-South African I feel like there used to a rivalry against Australia that makes it easy for me to root against them (though more so in cricket than rugby). At least there is a history there to support rooting against them.
Also I just want to see Argentina do good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
New Zealand was the only team at the Football World Cup 2010 to not lose a game.

I just like throwing that fact out there every now and then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
SAs strategy to not even pretend to want to score a try came back and bit then in the arse. Even with a man up they kept giving possession straight back to the all blacks. That was frustrating as gently caress.
Well done to the all blacks though. They deserved the win.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As a Bokke fan I can't really blame the ref for the result. The truth is the boks never looked like they were close to mounting an attack or threatening. They gave up possession easy to easily and it was only due to excellent defense that they weren't completely or of the game. They're weren't any controversial calls and even the closer forward pass try wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Everyone here knows that tomorrow is the most important game of the tournament. Go Bokke!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Where was this desire to score trys in the semi-finals, South Africa?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least the game leads to more experimental style of rugby and more adventurous too. I mean South Africa actually looked like they wanted to score trys, and they even used their wings!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just put him out of his misery and replace Habana already.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Madkal posted:

Just put him out of his misery and replace Habana already.

gently caress. I was only joking. Now they players won't have to blatantly ignore him on the field now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This game will still have more tries then tomorrows game.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You got to be pretty talented to miss touch so badly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

Springboks squad for the Ireland tour has been named. Generally a pretty good first squad from Coetzee. Pretty much everyone there deserves it, including Kitshoff's way, way, way overdue call-up. The emphasis has been on local, young players, with only 3 of the 31 based in Europe.

No captain has been named yet, as Coetzee wants to see his team up-close before making the call.

Hookers
Bongi Mbonambi (Stormers)
Scarra Ntubeni (Stormers)
Adriaan Strauss (Bulls)

Props
Steven Kitshoff (Bordeaux)
Frans Malherbe (Stormers)
Beast Mtawarira (Sharks)
Trevor Nyakane (Bulls)
Julian Redelinghuys (Lions)

Locks
Lood de Jager (Cheetahs)
Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers)
Eben Etzebeth (Stormers)

Loose Forwards
Siya Kolisi (Stormers)
Jaco Kriel (Lions)
Francois Louw (Bath)
Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Stormers)
Duane Vermeulen (Toulon)
Warren Whiteley (Lions)

Halfbacks
Faf de Klerk (Lions)
Nic Groom (Stormers)
Rudy Paige (Bulls)

Five-Eighths
Garth April (Sharks)
Elton Jantjies (Lions)
Pat Lambie (Sharks)

Midfielders
Damian de Allende (Stormers)
Jesse Kriel (Bulls)
Lionel Mapoe (Lions)
Jan Serfontein (Bulls)

Back Three
Ruan Combrinck (Lions)
Willie le Roux (Sharks)
Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks)
JP Pietersen (Sharks)

It only took getting a new coach for the Springboks to acknowledge that Lion's players exist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Any naming poll that doesn't allow for write-ins are invalid and a waste of time imo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The boks we fully committed to committing every single offense in the book.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Harsh call. Wasn't deliberate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

butros posted:

He's off now. Not that it matters. SA is so so so poo poo there's no way they are coming back from this.

e: I hope the bok selectors are watching this. Players like Whitely and Combrinck should be starting based on form alone.

That's how I felt at the beginning of the game.
I got to admire the Boks strategy though. Have such a bad first half that the opposing team begins to think that the Boks don't even know how to play rugby. Then lure the Ireland into a false sense of security/sympathy for the Boks, and attack.
It was truly a game two halves. The first half the Boks didn't play as a team and the players on the pitch had no idea what the gently caress they were supposed to be doing out there. Second half they had more of a game plan. That game plan being pass the ball to Whitely and Combrinck.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Swan Curry posted:

red cards are reserved for the away team i guess

As an SA fan that's what I was thinking. I think the fact he landed on his back and not head was the deciding factor.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Standing next to a player = 10 meters away.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Great play by de Klerk. SA still kicking the ball away too much like old times though. Ireland played really well and were the better team on the field.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
lovely news for the Lions as Whitely is out for 6 weeks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looking at the results this week and was there any game that wasn't an outright whipping?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mister Chief posted:

Go back to super 12.

Hell go back to the Super 10 seeing as that was the last time my team (Transvaal now Lions) won.
But yea, this expansion is just getting out of hand and is rather stupid and bloated. If they keep on insisting on adding more teams and growing it even further they should do what the Football Champions League does in Europe. Create different groups with a mixture of all the teams, group stage then knock out stage. Make sure every group has at least one team from the different countries represented.

Vagabundo posted:

Or follow the promotion-relegation model.

The last (and only time) this happened we saw the Southern Kings enter at the expense of the Lions.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man the Lions sure do love playing the game without the ball in hand.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Done and done. Wooooot

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So do my beloved Lions have a chance this weekend? I am guessing that the altitude might play in their hands, but most teams spend time acclimatizing for that. Still they played stellar rugby on Saturday and are in form. Plus Combrinck is a bloody tank.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well this kind of sucks for the Lions. Whitely is out of the semis due to injury.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

Adriaan Strauss is retiring from test rugby at the end of the 2016 international season. No idea who would replace him as captain next year.

From a page ago, but being one of the few posters who cares about the Boks I would say give it to Whitely, but I doubt that will happen.
Speaking of Boks, I love how Coetzee's coaching and strategy seem to be to largely ignore the running game that made the Lions one of the best teams and gone with the tried and true kick away position and pray that the other team fumbles the ball.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

I do feel that the performance of the majority of the black/coloured players in the side are warranted, and any suggestion that the majority of those selected this year are there on a quota can safely be put to bed. There's definitely the makings of a good to great team in there, but I wonder if Coetzee would be able to achieve that soon enough.

I honestly don't think Coetzee has a bloody clue on how to get the best out of the players, or come up with a coherent strategy for that matter. What would be best is for the boks to look for a coach from outside SA to bring an outsiders game to the Boks, instead of hiring the same old idiots over and over again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Guess the boks have given up on the dream of trying to score a try this game.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just saw the Bokke result. Jesus is this a team in need of a blow up soon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Going with the theory that now that the boks have lost to Italy, Ireland, Argentina and England it can't possibly get any worst, SARU has renewed Coetzee for head Bok coach. Yes, it is true that the idiot who thinks the running game is a fairy tale and forces his players to play 2 or 3 different contradictory styles at once on the field is told he did an outstanding job and to keep it up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Quick referee question. Which ref will screw over the Bokke the most?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The springboks Jersey is all kinds of hideous.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vaders Jester posted:

Can anyone else smell toast?

Foreman, holding on for dear life in the year 2133, waiting for Scotland to win the World Cup.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

HappyCamperGL posted:

DTH is a god among men. That's all you need to know about Canada.

Yea, seriously just do a write up by van der Merwe and totally ignore how Canada hasn't won a single game in a really really really long time, and really ignore how they needed something like three different opportunities to qualify. If you find that writing about DTH doesn't make a long enough post, you can post about our greatest moment when we beat Fiji in the Vancouver Sevens tournament earlier this year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/Springboks/status/1170028174597664768?s=20
apparently he had a sudden heart attack. real shame, he was winning a lot of plaudits as a coach at the Varsity Cup and provincial levels.

I remember Williams in the world cup. A black player playing for the Springboks? Unheard of. He is just a token player, won't be able to play at the level of the rest of the team. What's this? He is scoring tries! Holy poo poo, he just took down Lomu like a lion taking down a gazelle. What the gently caress?! Dude is awesome.
He was a groundbreaking player who opened up a lot of doors and possibilities for a lot of other players, and showed a country can be united.
Really sad to hear this news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

HappyCamperGL posted:

the silliest thing about the rankings is the way argentina (and to a lesser extent) italy get underrated.

France should be in the top three and bottom 5 simultaneously