Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

khwarezm posted:

So is this game good or what?

Yeah, it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Siets posted:

I know :frontear: and all but... I gotta say, I'm impressed with the effect Powerplay has had on the game. I felt the game was always lacking some personality, and now that Powerplay is a thing it's at least at a solid start.

Also all the small things that have cumulative side effects. Such as players who support a power and choose to gain merits through undermining end up accumulate massive bounties, which leads to player bounty hunting actually being more of a thing, etc. Good stuff.

:agreed:

Everyone loves to pick apart the mechanics of it and whatever but I think it has definitely made the game more interesting overall.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Yes, you can turn off the specific FA voice over in the audio settings, or be like me and mute the voice entirely. It actually feels way more immersive (more BSG than Star Trek), and the voice is unnecessary after figuring out the game.

Yep, I do this too. There are other audible cues for just about everything (god bless Frontier's audio team) so the voice really isn't needed.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

tooterfish posted:

I'd rather wait and see what happens than wind myself up over what might happen.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Planets are cool!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Space Skeleton posted:

Everyone fox for the "fix" option in this poll: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207962

Even if you do not know what this is about go vote that way. Trust me.

Things visually popping into existence right next to you after you deploy the SRV is weird and definitely seems like a bug, but I'm fine with them leaving ground stuff off the radar during flight. I was playing with a friend last night, him in his SRV and me in my ship, and we were tag teaming POIs: I'd fly around and find a purple circle, he'd come over while I visually scanned for the wreckage, and once he got close, skimmers/whatever spawned and I killed them so he could grab the loot.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah the FAS is a lot of fun, I'm trying one for the first time in the beta. It's pretty fast and has tons of power and wrecks stuff!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

SRV controls are set in the default profiles but I think if you've customized your binds you'll have to set them yourself.

If you're using SLI, you may need to add elitedangerous64.exe to Elite's profile via Nvidia Inspector make sure you're using the 361.43 driver. Otherwise I dunno, I haven't had any issues with Nvidia and this game.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 21, 2015

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Gonkish posted:

Apparently the game ready driver they just released today (361.43) adds in support for SLI in 64-bit applications (including Elite), or somesuch. Haven't tried it yet.

Ah nice, I hadn't seen a notification for that one yet. Looks like that fixes it.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

That one is really nice.

I'm about 2,000 ly into my first trip to the core. Horizons really made exploration worth it for me, planetary sightseeing is so great.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

While I'm sure that's true, I'm pretty sure the scale is more or less correct. I'm told that you get a much better sense of the actual scale from the interior if you're playing in VR. My own fiddling with the 3D anaglyph mode (those cheesy old red/blue glasses) seems to support this. A 2D picture on a monitor simply doesn't convey the necessary depth information to really get a true sense of the scale.

Yeah, in VR everything feels so much bigger.

The only thing I don't really like about Lakon cockpits is how sterile they are — just metal and glass, very spartan compared to a lot of other ships. I was going to take my Python out on this exploration trip but the view from the Asp is just too good to resist.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I have them for when I find Thargoids.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Toadsmash posted:

148% of Earth gravity was enough to make me flub a landing just now and crash my Asp hard enough to crack the canopy about 2500 LY from home. Glad I hadn't invested too much time into this trip yet! Whoopsie.

4 km isn't enough vertical distance to slow down from full thrust in that gravity in an Asp. That's mildly terrifying.

I slammed into a canyon wall (not even in high gravity) on the first day of my current trip and went down to 30% hull, but I'm not letting that stop me. Sag A* or bust!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

efb so here's a nice picture instead:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Thanks to the delay, I'm sure the update will be better than ever!

(Said after two years of completely underwhelming updates to a stagnant game based on an iterative update model.)

This game is a joke.

Amethyst posted:

Discussing the reasons why a game is failing is a thing. That's why gama sutra articles on failed games are popular. It sure beats endless posts about the best way to grind 2 million credits.

Amethyst posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211990

Here is a list of 90 bugs which will not be fixed until June at the very earliest. Definitely no problem here, please do not discuss it.

K.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

How many times have they claimed that so far? I can remember Missions getting "completely overhauled" after beta, then again with powerplay at the very least. Neither of those times did they do poo poo about the missions paying like poo poo 99% of the time and gating the 1% that pays decently behind Elite rank. I know several people that bought ED and just want to make some money taking missions like they're supposed to (and like the game is telling them to), but they simply can't because the mission system is hosed. The lack of reward for grouping doesn't help either (and the fact that grouping came months after "release").

And they're understandably annoyed, because having a working mission system isn't rocket science. It's super basic. Many games have had decent missions - loving Freelancer nailed it years ago and that was a game made by Chris Roberts!. If Roberts can do it, how the hell has Elite not done it yet after how many months and an entire expansion?

:nallears:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

TomR posted:

I love Elite and I think Frontier do a great job.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm about 3k ly from Sag A* at the moment so it's gonna be a long while before I can play with the Engineers stuff. Bookmarks are nice though!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I finally made it!

Flew around a bit, almost overheated when I got too close once, marveled at the gravitational lensing a bit, dropped off some trash:

Time to head home. Oof.

Edit: bonus picture of the Earth-like I stumbled across a few hundred light years from Sag A*:

Eyud fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 31, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

She didn't actually do anything like that, she just wrote an awful story about how she wishes she could.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Solo mode is great and it was a very good design decision and I'm happy it's never going away.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Meatsicle posted:

This game is far too shallow to be played without other people and I seriously question how anyone can really have fun playing Elite solo past like 15 hours or so.

I've played this game well over a thousand hours, the vast majority of it by myself (mostly in open, just not in a wing or PVP).

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Exploits are just game features you don't personally approve of, I guess.

I installed Star Citizen again just to see if this 2.4 release is any less awful and well,

El Grillo posted:

loving lol

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

That's fine, I only ever paid the bare minimum for it and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth in entertainment at this point anyway. If there's ever a playable game it'll just be a bonus.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

kedo posted:

Is this true, and if so what about it is a nightmare? Is it the setup? Tracking?

Elite is easily one of the best VR experiences out there. Dunno why he said it's a nightmare.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, I went to the core and back with 30% hull and never used a heatsink. Even without zeroing the throttle you'll almost always be fine.

I've seen videos of binaries where you get dropped way too close to one of them but never ran into one myself.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Tabletops posted:

has anyone found any planets with realistic scale surface geography? or is it supposed to be really flattened? I think the deepest canyon I've ever found was ~200 or 300 meters at most.

Almost every large rocky moon or planet or body in the solar system have many mile + high or deep features. So I'm guessing features are just really flattened in E:D?

There are definitely large features out there. This was something like a 6 km drop on both sides:

Another planet with similar ridges, although I don't remember how big they were:

Jumping over a ~1 km deep canyon:

https://streamable.com/3w16

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

one planet was recently discovered to have a mountain so high that you can ramp your buggy off it into orbit.

Rad. Got a link?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Thanks to the person who posted that Engineers guide; I've started playing again and want to get some sweet upgrades and it's a great help. Can't wait to get those good thrusters on my Python.

I've been playing No Man's Sky recently and while I like that game a lot, I had forgotten how satisfying Elite is. The flight model and the sound and the scale of everything is just so good. The other night I was about to get started collecting some materials but ended up just flying around a planet's surface in a Courier for like an hour.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 25, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Bought an Anaconda and did a few Morai runs last night; fell to the top 50% overnight but the payout is still more than I paid for the hull so :toot:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Voted for the delay, thanks for the heads up!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The ridiculous logic goons come up with to rationalize why something doesn't go their way is always so hilarious to me. Keep up the good work everyone!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

oRGy posted:

I just find the drama ITT hilarious, myself, it seems really disproportinate. I mean why you guys risking a heart attack considering

Nah man everyone in this thread is totally chill and not mad but also 100% right and smarter than all those other people posting on internet forums.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Is Elite: Dangerous a good videogame?

Yup, it rules! (It ruled a year ago too.)

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Gamers are the worst, this thread is no different than "the brown sea".

Ain't that the truth.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, agreed.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

We’re thrilled to let you know that you’ll be jumping in your ship-launched fighters, taking on passenger missions, piloting the Beluga liner and experiencing the rest of the amazing list of features coming to 2.2 The Guardians this coming Tuesday 20th September.
:woop:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

TomR posted:

2.2 will be a good update with nothing to complain about.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I don't think they've nailed down a specific date for the final release yet, last I heard it was just October sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Elite betas are really fun because everything is super cheap and people are testing out lots of silly ship setups and fighting right outside stations and such.

• Locked thread