Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kinda excited for Horizons, haven't played in a fair while and I am looking forward to jumping back in.

How would you guys fit an Asp for general loving around? Money is not an issue, I could max it out if that's worth it.

What's a good pve weapons loadout? Guessing 2 medium beams / 4 small multicannons or maybe the other way around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, all nice and cool, but where are them Thargoids?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Upgrade button is active on the launcher. 15m to go on mine :dance:

Speaking of which: I see elite 32 bit as "upgrade", elite 64 bit as install and Horizons 64bit as install.

Of course I frantically clicked on Horizons, but is there any reason to keep elite 32 bit around, or does it just hog precious ssd space?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gonkish posted:

I'm assuming I only need to install the Horizons update, and don't have to worry about the 64-bit or 32-bit clients, right? Yes? I hope?

I did download only the 64-bit Horizon thing and it works.

By the way, low gravity planets (0.05G) are glorious. I used the jump boost on my SRV, made something like 5 consecutive barrel rolls and landed smoothly on top of my ship. :getin:

I also got a transport mission for 62 resonating separators 40LY away (2 jumps in an Asp) that paid 500k, not bad at all.

Sadly going around in an Asp has reinforced my idea that it's a worthless, unfun space cow good only for long range exploration due to its jump range and size 6 fuel scoop, so now I need to find another ship with enough jump range and internals to hold all my planetside / going around doing random mission needs (about 20-25 jumprange laden, at least 50 cargo preferably as much as 64, good handling and speed)

Lastly, did they change the combat AI somewhat? I did 5 mins in a hazardous RES in my Vulture and a loving Dropship of all things kept outturning me and blasting at me with beams, the drat thing managed to get my shields down, 25% off my hull and almost cracked my canopy before getting blown for its sweet 185k bounty.

Edit: about bi weave shields.. Look good but are they worth it? They only come in C grade, and compared to the 5A shields on the vulture they give like 315Mj instead of 385, it's kinda significant..

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 15, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So either I have gotten worse at the game, or somehow ships with 2 handling can just keep their nose pointed at a 9 handling vulture. I used to feel untouchable, now it's just nimble enough to keep them in my sight at all times, but not enough to avoid all fire. This is with A thrusters too.

Dunno little vulture, I loved you but I think that's time to step up. I don't have the rank for a FAS, but I can buy a pretty swell FDL, should I go for it? I mainly do pve. What's a good fit for the FDL, 4 medium beams and 1 huge fuckoff cannon?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ they really, really need to do this or at least roll the Adv. discovery + Detailed surface scanners into one size-2 package, it's infuriating that on a DBE half your internal slots are taken by scanners, and on a DBS every one of them considering shields and fuel scoop are p. much needed :argh:

Shine posted:

Gimballed weapons don't require precise aim, and in PvE you won't have to deal with people dropping chaff or doing fancy maneuvers.

That's just not true - while the AI is nowhere as good as a human player of course, they DO use chaff and FA-off maneuvers, at least if they're high ranked (say master and above)

I had a brush with a deadly Fed dropship last night, it was dropping chaff every time it cooled down and kept pointing its nose at me, which is only possible via FA-off maneuvers if you're against a Vulture.

Didn't do him much good, but he managed to drop my shields and damage my hull to 75% :mad:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Here's what I'm rolling with currently, having mothballed the Vulture and mining Python for the moment to bask in the glory of barrel rolling moon buggies : the Asp-ergers (it loving bothers me to no end that I have size 1/2 stuff in size 2/3 slots, gently caress you :frontear: give me appropriately-sized modules)

besides being a fat space cow, and me wanting to replace the small bursts with small beams that are not available in Xihe (unsure if the PD and PP can handle the heat/power draw though, will have to field test), I'm pretty happy with this build for exploration, planetside stuff, CGs and general hauling/kill pirates missions within the bubble, and if I ever want to go anywhere far away, just slap a size 6 fuel scoop in it and it's ready to go. 28 LY unladen while fully combat fit is not bad at all :getin:

Are there any improvements I could still make, or am I at the upper limit here? I have a fair bunch of money leftover, around 30 mil, and I think I could do better for weapons but I'm not sure how (can't aim fixed stuff so railguns and PAs are out)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 17, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Strategic Tea posted:

Elite could really benefit from having some designed areas where players are encouraged to congregate (powerplay capitals? rare goods?), with just little things like a paragraph of backstory, actual names for the planets, some interestingly named factions and stations. Imagination is great but I'd like not to have to imagine everything.

There are good systems with backstory, funny cameos or interesting features, mostly in the Lave cluster, any place that has rare goods, and this little gem. I'm sure there are a lot more, but when you have 400 billion star systems and no story or other way (or any intention, really) of pointing players specifically towards them they just get lost in the ungodly amount of randomized noise.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 17, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bushiz posted:

for all it's many, many, many warts elite has the make-or-break feature of pretty much any modern action game of any kind, and that is that it moving through the environments feels correct, and that's pretty much the one thing that can't be fixed later on without scrapping the engine and rebuilding the game from scratch.

Agree 100%, I just spent half an hour running around in my SRV, didn't find anything (where are those minerals you supposedly gather to repairs / refuel / craft ammo? Is there a trick to finding stuff planetside?) and had an absolute blast.

Aside, how do you aim with a hotas? Seems like the guns are fixed only but I read somewhere they're actually turret mounted

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ thanks, not sure if I get it but playtime's over for tonight, will try harder tomorrow :D

KakerMix posted:

You gotta deploy your turret dawg

Probably have to set a bind for it, then make sure the controls for the turret are set in the options.

OK serves me right for skipping all driving binds besides the basics and vertical thrusters :v:

Turret all set, this is awesome, now how do i find the random stuff on planets? Seems only settlements come up on the radar / contacts list... I want those sweet ammo crafting materials

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 17, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

trip report: 4 small beams on an Asp work very well :getin:

conversely, medium multicannons seem kinda lovely: with the spin-up time, low damage and limited fire arcs they don't feel quite punchy enough

So what to put in the 2 medium hardpoints? Frag cannons are only useful in close quarters, cannons are great against bigger ships but in an Asp you don't want to tackle ships bigger than you unless forced to, railguns/plasma accelerators are overkill and really taxing on your powerplant and distributor.

Boy we do need more weapons/weapon variants back, give me back those high-powered multicannons

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 18, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Toadsmash posted:

I like the SRV fuel thing on paper because it gives you more of an ongoing objective to chase as you explore in deep space, but if it really is 100% random and you can't do anything to speed it up but throw more time at it... Oy. That is not how you take steps toward improving exploration's profitability OR fun factor, guys!

Well I'm at about 50% of my original fuel tank on my SRV and I already have materials for 3 refuels (plus 3 free canisters of indium and a 1000 credits bounty voucher for a wanted sentry skimmer), once I got a hang on how the silly wave scanner works rocks weren't hard to find at all.

It's a pain if you just wanna gently caress around but if you devote some time to actually search for materials you'll be set for quite a while, and the SRV is refueled automatically when you dock at an outpost or station so unless you really want to dick around for hours on end you'll have no trouble. Though I think ammo and hull isn't refilled this way but not really sure.

Pro tip: look for flat land, hilly terrain slows you down quite a bit.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Just been to a metal rich, major reserves planet and it's throwing manganese and zinc at me. Don't know if it's actually of any use, but hey.

I think common-major-pristine affects rock spawn rate, while materials are determined by icy-rocky-metal rich, or more probably both have an effect but it's weighted somehow

I guess the jackpot would be a metallic, pristine planet just like for mining but good luck finding that.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Even taking planetary approach kinda slow, a 400 tons Asp with A thrusters can struggle with 1.5G+ planets, especially if you always landed on 0.5G places before :v:

I almost faceplanted at 300 m/s on a dark grey color planet because I misjudged the height of a hill, thank God for boost. I feel bad for those poor souls that were duped into landing on a 6G planet with big trade ships.

This game is incredibly fun if still shallow, I just wish they do a balance pass on all ships and add a ton more SRV types, ships, modules, weapons... Plus qol things like ship delivery, extra ammo, scanners that don't take internals

Edit: within the bubble, is there any reason to cart around an AFM,fuel scoop and detail surface scanner? It seems I am always in range of a station to refuel and repair, and there's not much high value stuff to scan.. Seems it would be better to get some more cargo space / hull reinforcement / an extra SRV for just mission running and planetside stuff

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 19, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Helter Skelter posted:

There's generally no need for an AFM within the bubble. Fuel scoops are not always strictly necessary, but they are mighty convenient. DSS isn't needed either, but if you've got the room and are tooling around unexplored systems a bunch, it's free extra money on any planetary scans you do.

Yeah I think I will drop the AFM, fuel scoop is nice but doing missions the longest one was like 50 ly which is two jumps in my Asp, not really needed. Very torn on the DSS though, I like free money but I would rather spend time fighting or hauling than pointing at things for thirty minutes.

Also they finally added decent hauling missions, 1 million for carting 112 tons of stuff 30ly away is decent money

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I put a large beam + large frag cannon on my Vulture and I am very happy.

90 ammo is still a bit on the low side seen the rof on that thing, but it crushes hull and it's a perfect fit for the vulture agility, just stay glued to the enemy and unload a 3-shot burst anytime you can.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sard posted:

You'll still burn through the ammo for fewer kills than you would with cannons, but the damage output is phenomenal if you're in a fast and agile ship that can hug butts. I think the FAS is the best ship for using them, since it can easily power two medium beams for stripping shields, and the two large slots are lined up vertically so you just aim along the target spine and unload. You can kill a ship as heavily armored as a Dropship with about 18 shots, so 3 reloads on a dual shotgun FAS.

Yeah I love them space shotguns. I am actually spending time planetside to scrounge up materials for 4-5 reloads, but it takes forever.. I hope I can buy them from some korean materials farmer or whatever

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

When the gently caress is Frontier going to roll out something that's actually loving sexy and works well in it's intended role?

Aside from lack of depth (Which isn't even a huge issue for me) the lack of some truly sexy ships is the only other problem I have with ED.

Never because otherwise people could only use the new ships and forego older models and we can't have that, no sir.

So all new ships must be sidegrades at best or horribly flawed somehow, so that everybody will keep using the Cobra mk III forever and ever.

There are a few precious exceptions of course, but mostly new ships are crap and that's pretty much intended.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shine posted:

I just took my first explorer trip. It was a short one, out to Betelgeuse, and holy poo poo this thing is huge :stare:. Screenshots don't really do it justice; I'd seen screenshots before, but the sheer size of it didn't hit me until I jumped into the system, expecting to be at the usual close'ish scooping range, and instead of I was far as gently caress away from it and could just tell how massive it was. Then I landed on a planet well over 1000ly from it and it was still huge.

Heh, you should try visiting VY Canis Majoris. It's more than double the size of Betelgeuse, you jump in at about 6000 ls from it and it's just as huge as any star when you exit witchspace. Anything closer than about 5500 ls and you start frying.

It also has a little friend:

Here's from 50,000 ls away:

You can still clearly see it as a big fuckoff ball of flame from 500,000 ls away, it's seriously mindblowing.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shine posted:

The Asp Explorer is a big stupid flying cow and I hate it.

I fully agree but sadly it's the only multirole ship between Cobra and Clipper, and the Clipper has its own issues: it's enormous and unable to land at outposts, has weak shields especially for its size, is terribly expensive to fit, and has kinda poo poo operating range if not D-rated.

So unless you want to be stuck in a Cobra mkIII (which is an awesome ship but will leave you wanting for more after the early game) until you have 150 millions banked for a proper multirole Python, it's the only choice. Unless you think a Cobra mkIV that has a blazing speed of 200 m/s and 299 m/s boosting, with papier mache shields and not enough juice to run decent weapons in all its hardpoints, is a viable alternative. I don't.

Actually even with 150 millions to buy that Python, I'd rather not fly a multirole 4-5 million rebuy ship, as awesome as it is - I really like medium-weight ships with which you can actually dare to take risks and know that if you get blown up, it's not a huge investment to get back where you were. This niche is currently occupied by all of two ships, Asp and Vulture. Maybe the FAS but that's more of a Vulture upgrade I think.

I was so hoping for the Cobra mk IV to be the next (slight) step up from the Asp in the multirole department for a price point of say 10 millions for the hull, 40-45 fully fit... :smith:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 25, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you are scooping stuff and doing random smuggling type things then get an Adder or just save for a Cobra.

This, the adder is a lovely starter ship unless you plan to do combat only. Even then with its medium hardpoint and good maneuverability it can hold its own until you can afford the Cobra.

I wouln't upgrade the sidewinder much except for the FSD, you're going to be out of it soon enough.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah it's actually fine now, it was kind of hosed up in the early days though when most sources of income were literally 10-100x less profitable (the only one which hasn't changed much is trading which they actually nerfed a bit IIRC).

Dear God those were horrible times. Missions paid between nothing and something like 20k maximum, and bounties ranged from 2k to 15k or something silly like that. An Anaconda kill in a conflict zone paid 3000 credits, no joke.

You could barely break even with ammo costs while bounty hunting so you either did it for fun, or you brought full laser loadouts to avoid restocking fees, the only money making was in either bulk trading common goods, rare trading (which is still considered good income), or exploiting silly glitches like the "seeking drugs" thing that got me into a Python because gently caress grinding 56 millions in THOSE conditions

Nowadays people have it easy, just tag a bunch of bad guys in a RES and boom, 500k credits in an hour. It took literally ten hours to make that kind of money when I started out and was saving up for a Cobra by trading in an Adder... :argh:

Oh poo poo I'm becoming a modern day '84er :stare:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

No you're not. ;)

No landing on the moon right now.

Wait what? Isn't the moon a rocky body without atmosphere?

Or it's some magic "permit" bullshit where they won't let you go to some places because someday, maybe in another couple years there might be Thargoids there? :v:

(yes I'm salty that after more than 1 year we still have no Thargoids, why do you ask?)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 6, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

IIRC it's because the moon is going to be a hand crafted location vice a generated body like the rest of the rocky airless types out there. Because of that, it's simply just not ready.

Just like the rest of the game amirite? :v:

Seriously though, they always seem to rush baseline stuff out just to say "hey look new system" and then take FOREVER to implement and expand on things that would actually be great to have in game right now (hand crafted places, Thargoids, weapon variants, a Powerplay that doesn't suck, more ships that aren't sidegrades of existing ones, more equipment for ships)

It took them how long to get shield boosters and hull reinforcements out? Like 6 months from release? I can't imagine those would be THAT hard to code in... And now we'll be waiting 6 more months to get a 2nd model of SRV or any upgrade to the rather barebones crafting system (good thing but it takes annoyingly long to scrounge up enough for anything besides the basic refuel/reammo), I bet.

I have the impression that their efforts are way too focused on broadening the game even more, while I wish they would just stop that and get to work on what's already in game and make it better.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I finally decided to renew my stable of ships: sold off the Asp for a Cobra mkIII fitted for planetside stuff (SRV hangar, 16 tons of cargo space, Advanced and detailed scanners and 4 pulse lasers), and sold the Vulture for a Fer de Lance.

With the new hull mechanics and the fact that the PP doesn't blow ships automatically when at 0% anymore it was getting kinda painful to kill big ships with the beam/frag cannon Vulture; it's still a great combat ship, but time to kill was dramatically increased, when you blow their PP up they just stop moving most of the time and you have to spend a couple minutes beaming them up or use up a significant bunch of your frag cannon ammo, leading to more restocking trips.

Here is my shiny new FdL, the extra fuel tank and big scoop are for the return trip from Li Yong Rui land, I left them on because I really don't know what else to put in their place. Don't really want to spend the 15 millions for the 6A power plant, I hate SCBs with the delay and heat spike, and there's nothing else that actually helps in PvE combat besides maybe more hull reinforcements or an FSD interdictor?

In any case, it's a monster: 605 MJ of bi-weave shields and 845 armor with a couple hull reinforcements, and 300/400 speed/boost. 4 medium beams murder everything, the huge fuckoff cannon is just for when you really want that anaconda / FAS / Clipper dead right loving now, or for when the beams are cooling off, or to obliterate the occasional Sidewinder and giggle.

No cargo but it's going to be used as a combat ship anyways, scooping up the occasional canister of gold is useless at this point. I still have my mining Python if I ever feel the need to shuttle some space junk around.

I tell you it was a pain to come back to Xihe after the trip to Li Yong Rui territory, but the 15% discount is really worth it on big ships / big equipment. I saved 10 millions and rebuy is "only" 2.3 millions instead of the 2.75 shown on Coriolis.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 7, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was thinking about Powerplay lately, can anybody explain to me why it's constructed as such a grind?

I mean, the blanket rewards for everybody in controlled space are good and encourage you to travel around for specific tasks, and the personal rewards for being affiliated with a power are kinda cool, but the fact that you have to haul 10 tons at a time (or pay through your nose) and/or interdict dozens upon dozens of enemy ships only to have your progress halved every week kills all the enjoyment of doing it

If I could work on it on my spare time, knowing that eventually I could get to some reward (just like with ship progression, some day I'll be able to afford that Anaconda!), I'd be willing to invest time in it, but since I can't/won't play every day or even every week I just feel I'd waste time only to have my progress basically reset unless I keep grinding and grinding.

I literally cannot think of a scenario in which resetting player progress is good for a videogame...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was shooting up a conda in xihe's hazres and suddenly boom, got a bounty for murder of some random npc. Must have wandered in front of my beams with 1% hull or something and now I'm stuck for 6 days with a bounty in the system where i keep all my ships.

This sucks, can I get rid of it somehow? It used to be that you could pay off bounties but I can't seem to do that now. I should just gently caress off to another system for a week?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Adult Sword Owner posted:

This is exactly what I did but I also rammed the cop to get their attention

Yes, this is the right way I think. I shall get drunk(er) and do it. :getin:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Stringbean posted:

Cobra Mk. 3 and whenever I start shooting at cop targets, said targets tend to turn on me quickly. I'm finding it really weird actually.

NPCs prioritize players over cops and other NPCs because reasons. When you engage something, do it from the back and be prepared to take some heat.

In a cobra, don't engage anyone bigger than you until their shields are down and yours are fully charged, at least until you get more confident.you're a multirole, not a heavy fighter, act as a poacher! Also upgrade asap to good shield, thrusters, power distributor and decent weapons (I used 2x medium beams and 2x small multicannons, worked great against most enemies your size)

If you can stick with someone good and wing with them, look at them tear poo poo up, it teaches you a lot.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

timn posted:

The Courier is going to be down on firepower compared to the Vulture, which is bad because you ultimately want enough punch to consistently tackle larger ships in HazRES to get the biggest bounties. The Vulture can just squeak by with its 2 large hardpoints, the Courier will not do so great with its 3 medium hardpoints. Ideally you want to save up for something like a FAS or Clipper with their 2 large and 2 medium which will hold their own quite well tackling the biggest ships. From there you have the Python with an even better 3 large and 2 medium, but trades off in being quite a bit less maneuverable.

Or get a FdL and melt everyone in your path. Seriously it's a great combat ship, can easily get 600 shields and 1000 hull, can pack 4 medium beams and 1 huge cannon or PA for big ships. It's not as agile as the vulture but close to it, certainly much better than a Python, dunno about the FAS though.

Anything Cobra or smaller just gets vaporized in a single capacitor discharge from beams alone.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

timn posted:

Yeah, totally forgot about the FDL. Still would save for an FAS or Clipper first since they'll be much more affordable and perfectly competent.

Actually if we're talking about top of the line loadouts they're quite similar in price, an A-ranked combat FAS will cost you about 60 millions vs 80 for a comparable FdL. (I use B-rated power plants both for extra strength and because they're enough to power my usual weapons loadout while being cheaper, in any case they're the same size so the price difference would be the same anyways)

The equivalent Clipper is kind of a waste, closer in cost to the FdL at 75 millions, worst hardpoint placement, not that great shields unless you splurge for a 7A generator (and even then it has less than half the FdL shields, and costs 110 millions) and it has so many internals that it's really more suited to be a multirole ship.

Both FAS and Clipper have much better range and more internals than the FdL (not that you need those for pure combat anyways, SCB were heavily nerfed so at most you'll have one, maybe a FSD interdictor and a scoop, but after that it's hull reinforcements time - personally I don't bother with SCBs or interdictors at all, for PvE RES farming they're not really needed)

As for speed, Clipper wins hands down at 347/440 normal/boost, then FdL 296/398 and FAS 242/403; the FdL has enormous shields (842 vs 362 Clipper vs 298 FAS) but worse hull strength (1035 vs 1570 FAS vs 2106 Clipper with all hull reinforcements :stare: ). Both Clipper and FAS require faction rank which can be painful to get.

They all weigh about half optimal mass for their thrusters, but while FAS and FdL have the same 6/10 agility rating, so quite similar maneuverability, the Clipper has it worse at 2/10. Still perfectly manageable and surprisingly snappy for a ship that size mind you, but out of the three it's noticeably clunkier to throw around especially with FA on. You will drift into asteroids a lot if you're not used to it :v: Also it has the bigger profile by a fair margin so you'll get hit more.

Weapons are a toss-up, all three allow ample choice of weaponry and are very effective against all kinds of ships. I'm in love with the FdL's huge cannon (3-shot a 'conda power plant? Yes please), but I know how 2x large 2x medium can wreck everything up too. FAS wins over Clipper because of hardpoint placement, the large hardpoints on the clipper force you to use gimbals (I do use gimbals anyway but if you favor fixed you're screwed)

My personal opinion is FdL > FAS > Clipper for pure combat, but they're actually quite well balanced depending on your playstyle - the extra shields, more hardpoints and utility slots on the FdL allow for extra customization and staying power, but the others have extra hull that kinda balances it out, the Clipper is insanely fast for a 700 ton monstrosity, and having more range and internals allow for ships that can do more things at once. This is all from a PvE perspective, in PvP I guess the sheer possibility to slap 4 railguns + 1 huge PA on the FdL makes it a clear winner but I really don't know anything about PvP.

Final word of advice: if you only have 25-30 millions, instead of getting a D-rated FAS/Clipper, just get an A-rated Vulture (it has power troubles so you either put bi-weave shields on it, downgrade something a bit or use 2x pulses as weapons with a 5A shield gen), it's almost as good at combat as those top-of-the-line loadouts. It lacks the sheer killing power of those other ships but 2x large hardpoints strapped on a thing with the agility of an Eagle, even if you only put large pulses there, can still destroy everything up to and including Anacondas :D

Sorry for the spergpost, I love analyzing this poo poo :allears:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 10, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

timn posted:

Two particular flaws with your loadouts:

1. No military bulkheads. This is a common compromise to save cash but is much more inportant in 1.5 if you're trying to maximize hull tanking for when things get too hot in a CZ or something. This change alone makes the FDL much more expensive than the FAS.

2. Phone posting but it looks like you have the FSD disabled when hardpoints are deployed. This was bad before 1.5 because it caused you to have to wait for the retraction animation to finish before jumping, but is even worse now because of the module boot up times on top of that. This is a big problem if you need to make a quick getaway in an emergency. You need the larger powerplants to make this work. It would also let you entertain the idea of a class 4 PAC on the FDL which is even more $$$, put a comparable KWS on instead of settling for a D rate, and other quality of life measures.

And a sidenote, cannons do not make sense to use in any class size in which you could use multicannons instead. Cannons are pretty mediocre, but multicannons are great.

TLDR your builds have some non-trivial compromises and it so happens the FDL benefits better than the FAS does from it. Even the Cutter looks reasonable (relatively speaking) if you skimp on the right things. But they're not very well optimized for when things go really wrong without warning.

My bad, I never use military bulkheads and I actually completely forgot they exist. They cost a shitload of money, add a shitload of weight, and hull reinforcement packages apparently do a similar if not better job for a tiny fraction of the cost and weight. IMHO they're kinda in a bad place with the recent buffs to hull reinforcement packages and there's no real reason to put them in anything but a CZ specific or Strong Source Signal specific build where you will regularly get attacked by 6 or 7 enemies at once. Of course if you want to absolutely maximize your build then yes you're right, bulkheads bump the FdL price way higher since the military ones are almost as costly as the hull (46 for FdL, 17 for FAS)

Agreed about the FSD, but since all 3 ships use size 6 power plants, if you just put a 6A in each one you have the same difference in cost, just add 10 millions to the price of all ships. I tend to use bi-weave shields so in my current FdL loadout (which is the one I posted except bi-weave shield) the FSD stays active, only the cargo + fuel scoop get deactivated when I deploy. In any case it's not THAT important, unless you get your rear end kicked often enough that it's a concern not being able to readily escape - especially considering that FdL and Clipper are fast ships, and the FAS has a good boost speed too so you can actually outrun pursuers if you put 4 pips in ENG while the FSD comes back online.

For cannons ... sorry man we'll have to agree to disagree. I find that cannons are awesome and punch above their size so there's a real good reason to put them in size 2 hardpoints, they don't suffer damage penalties against large hulls. That alone is worth it since it's all you're going to use them on, no reason for wasting cannon shots on small ships since a couple large beams / 4 medium beams will melt those without trouble. Multicannons on the other hand do piddly damage, have an annoying spin-up time and they're not that accurate either in my (admittedly limited) experience with them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

YellerBill posted:

I'd recommend always running military composite on at least the FAS. It's a significant increase in price but it has really high base armor already so the composite adds ~500 armor, which takes the armor from "great" to "ridiculous" and is what makes the FAS such a great hull tank.

In 1.5 a 4D hull reinforcement gives +330 hitpoints, weighs 16 tons and costs about 200k iirc... And you can fit at least 2 in the FAS for 660 hp, 32 tons and 400k credits.

So the 500 hitpoints from the military bulkheads for 87 tons and 17 millions looks like a really bad deal, unless there's something else going on.

RabidWeasel posted:

Also unrelated but whoever made :pgabz: you are a good person.

OH GOD yessssss :pgabz:

Libluini posted:

As soon as Frontier gives us some kind of player trading mechanism, we explorers will be glad to sell ammo-refills. :v:

Hahahaha yeah right. Maybe in patch 77.3

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Getting bored of combat again, might dust off my mining Python and go off to find some pristine metallic ring. A 2.5 millions/hour profit isn't stellar, but it isn't shabby either and will get me some more buffer since I spent most of my cash on hand for the FdL.

This is my current "cheap" build for mining, I slapped on the best components for actual mining / collecting - the 2x 5A collectors finish scooping up fragments as soon as the single medium mining laser finishes (after prospecting) - and it has basic weapons and minimal shields to fend off silly pirate Eagles and Adders - if anything significantly bigger or a wing attacks I run like hell

been thinking of improving the distributor for extra boost / weapon juice just in case, but I find that if you avoid the RES and just mine in the ring somewhere, in a system within a couple laden jumps from a refinery or high tech system there's not much risk of interdiction - would it be worth it anyways?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wozbo posted:

If I recall you only need 9 bins in any good belt so 4B works.
Any reason not to have the class 3 cargo be another collector and run 2x class 2 mining turrets? If you up the distributor you should peter out right as the asteroid hits 0 or so and be slow boating to your next target.

E: I get like 2m+/ hr in a poo poo fit asp and I'm 50ls away from a station I sell at. Only did it to rank up trader a bit.

Yeah the 4B could work but I had the cash to spare, it's not like the extra 3 millions matter much at this stage.

Dunno, as said 1 medium lasers tends to deplete asteroids and poo poo out fragments just as fast as the 2 5A controllers (6 collectors) can do their job; so I think doubling the fragment output by adding another laser would rather outpace the extra 3A controller, and I hate waiting for collectors to finish scooping up while staring at a depleted asteroid...

Also 8 more tons of painite/platinum means about 800k if you take the time to refresh missions. Which reminds me I could be doing MUCH more money (guessing in the ballpark of 5 million/hour) if I bothered with doing that and venting lovely ores you get from that 10% painite 30% bertrandite 40% whateverite rock, but :effort:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Go figure, I have spent a couple hours mining, I have a hold full of painite platinum and osmium but there's no mining missions anywhere. I went to a couple industrial stations, refreshrd the BB three times per station and still nothing.

gently caress you, RNG.

Maybe high tech stations would give me better chances?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Falken posted:

Here's my current loadout for my Cobra III.

What can I do better here? I recently switched out my gun hardpoints as I figured having the cannons on the medium hardpoints would make more sense as it usually takes less time to kill the shields than hull on larger targets anyway.

I've turned off the cargo hatch to bring me below 100% power usage with hardpoints deployed too.

Currently got... 3 million in my account, and I don't know what to do really. I feel like I want to get a better ship, but I've no idea what to go for. Is it worth maybe buying a cargo ship to earn better trades (only done rare trading in the Cobra), and outfit the Cobra with the best power systems, and get rid of the cargo racks in favor of hull reinforcement packages?

With the money you have, I'm not sure you can get a significantly better ship, more of a sidegrade (pretty much all ships in that price range have the same 2 medium 2 small hardpoints).

If you want to stick with multirole, the Cobra mkIII is still the best all around ship until you get to about 15 millions and can decently kit an Asp; I would rework and upgrade it to something like this (if you can actually hit things with fixed weapons on the small hardpoints great for you, I can't so I'd switch those to gimbals and put multicannons on the mediums - but weapons are personal preference so I left those as you already have), no reason to not have max size cargo racks, drop the KWS to D since it's only 0.5 km less range and saves money and power, get better thrusters and FSD to play the Cobra strenghts (speed and range), upgrade power plant accordingly, add some armor for when your pathetic shields eventually go down, either with bulkheads or sacrificing some cargo - possibly the size 2 cargo rack - for a hull reinforcement. You can keep upgrading the Cobra to all A fit, will cost you around 10 millions.

if you like pure combat instead the Viper Mk IV too, less maneuverable and slower but bigger shields and hull, and a bit less internal space. OTherwise the DBS is actually a decent upgrade in that it's much more maneuverable and the hardpoints are positioned better, but it will cost you more to properly fit for combat...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

I wonder if the finding of the Antares wreckage and the finding of the barnacles will tie in to the release of the thargoids. The timing seems too perfect.

Antares wreckage survey results indicate that they can bring a new form of travel to us.
Barnacles are found in Merope a few days later..

It would be about loving TIME.

And if the "new form of travel" isn't either a) in-system microjumps b) an ability to jump say up to 100x your normal jump range in a single jump once per day c) somehow letting your ships be delivered at a convenient location near you, I don't care.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ this sounds a little heavy-handed; I think that would be pretty cool, but imagine the reaction of the brown sea to being obliterated straight away by a much superior force against which they can do nothing... especially after a year of the game being a little bit too unchallenging unless you wanted to actually be in danger.

People are finding a shitload of those things.

Aethernet posted:

The Meta-Material is the weird seed looking thing. You know, if I was a space-borne creature and I wanted space-travelling creatures to take my seeds around (like Space Bees) I'd make them valuable too.

This does not bode well.

And I'm very, very happy. Will be kitting out my Cobra Mk III with some weapons, an SRV, and come join in the fun tomorrow (if there's still fun to be had and not Thargoid-y death, in which case I'll kit my Python :getin: )

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm having problems breaking into exploring. As it stands, I'm flying an adder with a basic discovery scanner and an detailed surface scanner. I usually just set my map to show only the stars with the highest probability of habitable planets (FGK) and just... meander.

Most of the systems I find have very few, if any, planets. I have yet to find one that's high value. I made way more money just doing surface recovery missions (salvage, escape pods), and I'm sort of wondering if I should just wait to continue exploring until I can spend the money on an advanced discovery scanner.

As already said, get the Advanced Scanner which has infinite range, lots of planets/stars are WAY farther than the 500ls range of the basic scanner. The intermediate ups it to 1000ls and is lovely too for the very same reason and also costs a bunch when starting out, so avoid it. The Adder is a good ship for exploring, not the best jump range but has enough space for the basics: advanced scanner, detailed scanner, the biggest and best fuel scoop you can get, and some shields in case you get interdicted while around inhabited space. Pack a heatsink and an AFM module too, just in case you run into trouble with binary stars / pirates / Thargoids...

Sometimes you can hit the jackpot and discover lots of valuable planets just going to a few systems, but usually finding an earth-like or valuable planets like waterworlds, metallics, terraformables and gas giants with water/ammonia based life is kind of rare. I haven't explored much, my stats say something like 1000 bodies scanned, and none of them were earthlikes, a bunch (maybe 10-15?) water worlds is the best I've got, then in approximate rarity order terraformables, metallics and gas giants with ammonia/water based life. (Probably one could do much better than that with actual astronomic knowledge and route planning, I just set the controls for a far off landmark and randomly check out systems along the way while plastering my name on random lovely stars and icy worlds I discover first - my name is in about 30 systems in random places relatively close to the inhabited bubble:v: )

Also exploration doesn't pay off nearly as well as any other activity, even courier mission running will give you better money-time ratio... if you want that space money, forget about exploring, it's more for sightseeing really.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 17, 2016

• Locked thread