Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In relation to a spaceship game, this is loving terrifying and I refuse to live on the same world this was created in

I need an Asp in real life to get the hell away

I swear that if Frontier bans this guy I will immediately cease all complaining and buy all the expansions, whatever it takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Libluini posted:

Just to terrify you some more, when someone on the Frontier-forums pointed out that you don't need huge tits to nurse your young, and brought out some examples like multiple nipples, vomiting out milk-like substances through your rear end in a top hat and other squicky, but likewise probable things, that guy immediately ignored/misunderstood the point and reiterated that no, Guardians really do need huge tits. Alien biology is huge tits and nothing else. :shepface:

He really is choosing to go down with his ship, screaming "Guardians are sex elves from space with huge-rear end tits!!!" all the way down until the water finally streams into his dumb moth and silences his gargling voice forever.

I mean, there's a lot to like about huge tits, I think they are very nice and everything

But this is loving insane.

And these forums are where devs go to take ideas for the game

We're screwed

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

You gotta love how he drops the creepy bomb right there in the second sentence.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So if you don't have turrets or fighters, crewmembers are useless?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eldragon posted:

The massive grind and vertical progression made me quite elite

Best typo ever

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Just trade in a war anaconda lazily adapted by switching the HRP's for cargo bays with all the tanky death dealing stuff in place, you'll make more money from dead pirates than the cargo.

If one wanted to do this, what's a good not too expensive build? Worth it to bring a fighter bay along?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TomR posted:

I wish I could mail order a proper single player Elite Dangerous on floppy disk for maximum immersion wait times.

Unironically this. The single player part at least.

Problem with this game is that it took the very worst parts of online mmos like extreme grinding to gate content behind poopsocking, boring bring me ten bear asses missions, slow "story progression" made by interns in their spare time, can't give nice kinda unbalanced things to players because they're going to use them on other players, impossibility to mod the poo poo out of the game and lack of a compress time function to avoid spending hours upon hours just flying in a straight line from A to B.

All of this while masterfully avoiding the good stuff like having guilds, territorial fights, constructing space stations, having an actual player driven economy etc

That sucks because the game is great at its core element of flying in space doing pew pew or exploration or whatever. It just grows so thin after a while that the huge time commitment required to actually get anywhere doesn't feel worth it o anymore. Passengers missions, fighters, multicrew are good steps forward but I fear it's too little, too late.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 6, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Morningwoodpecker posted:

That was a deliberate decision to avoid EVEness, players have had their power limited by design. Braben regards player run guilds as behaving like mafiosi (his words), he doesn't want tribal groups making GBS threads up his vision of a game where independent pilots can come and go as they choose (play your own way was the tagline). It won't change, it's his baby.

I am still completely baffled by powerplay. It sounded cool but it's a horrible boring grindfest of delivering poo poo (paying for the privilege too) or killing random ships, giving you some kinda meh bonuses and special modules. And you lose half of the favours you earn every single week.

Can anybody explain that somehow?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I am rather sure that combat is all I want to do in this game. I still have a trading / mining python, an Asp explorer / mission runner, and a passenger clipper that I want to sell because the Asp does the job better.

Of course I have a fully pimped vulture but lately I don't feel as invincible as I used to. I can afford an fdl with almost top of the line loadout, should I go for it and spend some time engineering it?

I have no rank with the feds and no intention of grinding it btw.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DancingShade posted:

You can swap a size 4 FSD with a class 5 range upgrade between your DBS and Vulture too :eng101:

My Vulture with upgraded class 4 FSD does 22 ly, but I have to scoop every two jumps, the tank is just too small :smith:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DancingShade posted:

Dump the military hull and any hull reinforcements. You don't need them and you'll get to 24+ LY easy.

(or keep them if you want, it's all good)

Yeah maybe with the new military slots (I didn't pick it up since last patch) I could slap a 4 size fuel scoop and a 2 size tank in the normal internals , but I don't really travel much in it.

Point is, travelling in a combat ship is still a pain even with upgraded jump range

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just found a Thrustmaster T16000 hotas with damaged box for 85€ and couldn't resist ordering it.

Thing is, I play this game on my couch most of the time. I have a Thrustamster Hotas X (getting a little worn out after hundreds of hours in Elite, plus it isn't that great to start with) and keep it in one piece, so its base is big enough to just put on my lap and it doesn't budge at all; I am afraid that having a separate stick, it would just move around when I pull/push on it if I just set it on the couch next to me...

Also since it's now been out for a while, is there a consensus if it's actually a good piece of hardware?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gort posted:

I hear some of the best pilots in Elite use Xbox controllers, so it's kinda hard to tell what the best hardware is

Oh I know, I didn't get it for "improving my skills", after all I did just fine with the Hotas X which is great for the price but ultimately a cheap rear end old-school joystick and I still suck at the game probably. I got it for the extra buttons mainly and having the magnetic hall sensors because it was loving hard to keep fixed weapons on target with the HotasX.

What I want to know is, will the new t16000 hotas explode in my hands like Saitek products tend to do? I have a few peripherals from Thrustmaster and have always been very satisfied with them, but you never know

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 10, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just turned this game back on after a long hiatus and took my asp explorer out for a spin. I almost burned up jumping in to a binary star system. There seems to have been a lot of graphical improvements.

What's the quickest way to make money right now? I only have about 3mil. Are any of the community goals worth it?

Any community goal (that has a reasonable chance to end on a high tier) in which you end in the top 50% will probably double if not triple your net worth so yes.

Besides that, anything makes decent money these days unless you want top tier ships that are 100+ millions. I don't know what exploits are currently available if any, but passenger missions are some of the best paying and the Asp is the perfect ship for it so I would start there.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh cool. I didn't know the asp could do passenger missions. Which modules do I need to swap out to do them well?

Man, the new witch space is so good.

Just buy a size 5 or 6 first class passenger cabin, a fuel scoop of your favorite size, 5A FSD drive and get ready to travel. Missions range from ferrying people to the system next door to 5000 ly away, or say 3x 100 ly trips to tourist attractions.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The T16000 hotas arrived. Holy gently caress I can finally use fa off :getin:

Also, so many hats. What do you guys bind for targeting? I currently set the middle one to target next ship, target next hostile, target next and target previous subsystem. Top hat is for ui panel selection, bottom for chaff / SCB / heatsinks and one direction is unassigned. Target ahead is on the stick.

I love the up / down switch in front of the throttle, having supercruise and hyperspace separate is incredibly convenient. Also the little joystick switching from thrusters to headlook when you click it is awesome.

This is so much better than the hotas x.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Boogalo posted:

I use this setup but with forward only throttle, boost on the analog stick click, and disabled the landing overrides.

https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/oltmon?replay=oltmon

Oooh this site is cool. I don't like modifiers, I got this specifically to have a ton more buttons so I wouldn't have to fiddle with modifiers especially during combat. I rarely wing up and never used fighters so the dedicated commands for those aren't needed right now.

I have it set up like this: https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/wjmnni?replay=wjmnni

I need to rejigger it a bit, have to switch the reverse and drive assist for the SRV to make it consistent with the ship, add "next system in route" bind somewhere (probably on the base of the stick - left side, don't really know what else to put there) because I use it all the time, and sensor range to either the wheel on the throttle left side or the slider on the joystick base. Also I have no idea what to put on "down" on the bottom throttle hat, it irks me that it's unassigned but since I'll be using frantically in combat/emergencies to chaff/SCB/heatsink I don't want anything dangerous or disrupting there.

Anything else that I'm missing and should really bind?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 14, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PantsOptional posted:

After playing sporadically for a few weeks I've racked up close to 20 million credits and I'm looking to upgrade my bounty hunting ship from a Viper to a Vulture. What's the current hotness for a bounty hunter loadout on one of those? I was using 2 pulse lasers and 2 macrocannons on the Viper but I'm not sure that a pulse/mc combo would work well with only two hardpoints.

With that kind of money you can almost A rate a vulture. Now that large kinetic weapons are a thing (cannons got buffed, frags got more ammo and there's the large multicannon) I love to have 1 beam and 1 multicannon, the large beam makes short work of most shields in a single capacitor volley or two, then you rain metal chunks on the hull with your (possibly engineered) multicannon or frag.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gort posted:

What does the second player even do

Gunner? As if you'd put a turret in 1 of your only 2 slots on the most maneuverable ship in the game...

Probably there'll be more roles added at a later point so it will somehow make sense?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Poor professor Palin, all he wants to do is to help you improve your jump range but all we want from him is SPEED :rice:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Four weeks? Jesus, why four?
[...]
They had to go well out of their way to make it this unfun, and I don't understand why... :eng99:

Because :frontear:

that's really all there is to it. Almost everything in this game can be semi-reasonably explained and you can agree or disagree with it, but there can't possibly be any sane reason for how Powerplay is handled, we can only shrug it off as "silly dev is up to their usual shenanigans"

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If I ever manage to get an Anaconda it shall be named "Enormous Penis".

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am half wanting to refit my Asp to be what God intended, a deep space exploration vessel instead of the current mission / passenger running cab I use it for now. I already have a good fsd mod that gets range in the 40s when fit with light stuff, what's the go-to exploration setup besides obviously huge fuel scoop and an SRV bay? Worth it to bring multiple heat sinks, AFM modules etc?

On that same note what is a good setup for a separate passenger ship without breaking the bank? I have around 100 spare millions, is the dolphin too cheap / limited?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So for full-on space madness, Asp explorer or diamondback explorer?

The DBE has a jump range advantage but a 4A fuel scoop takes 1.30 minutes to fill up compared to the 0.30 6A fuel scoop of the asp.

I already have a good rank 5 engineered fsd, maybe the jump range gap gets bigger so it's worth spending more time scooping? Any thoughts?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I've been away for a long time, latest news I heard a couple months ago was that Thargoids were supposedly coming soon.

Are they in yet? Any other recent improvements?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy loving finally, the reason I waited to return to the game. :getin:

(looking forward to be disappointed to Powerplay/Cobra MkIV levels)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have been away from elite since, like, forever - this new beyond thing, is that part of a new season or will I get it for free? (I own horizons)

And, is there anything significantly different that might make me want to come back? Last time I logged in was before thargoids were revealed, I think. It was just too much grind, having to spend a half hour each time just to change loadout / move around to where I want to be, and zero hope of upgrading beyond my perfect trifecta of slightly engineered Asp/Vulture/python (the new chieftain ship looks baller though) since costs just go exponentially up into the hundreds of millions

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 27, 2018

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rynoto posted:

Horizons is the last paid xpac, yeah. They said they're making enough money from the store to release the new seasons for free.

If you hated the game before, you'll probably still hate it now as the underlying formula is still the same besides having at least some reason to wing up and fight the big bad Thargoids.

E: To better answer the question: Beyond is a new season that's also free. So having Horizons means you're all set.

Ok I get it, thanks. But doesn't this mean that people who got the alpha "you're going to get all the xpacs for free!" version got screwed? It was 125$ iirc and buying retail elite + horizons at launch would be like 100$ total :v:

Eldragon posted:

This patch is pretty much when the game transitioned from "poo poo that appeals only to space spergs" to "appeals to normal people".

Its still really grindy, and its still shallow. But a lot of quality of life improvements went in.

So if you enjoy tinkering with your ship outfitting, doing missions with friends, or exploring alien relics, now is a good time to get back in. If you hate those things and are looking for more directed gameplay, look elsewhere.

This is good. I enjoyed the game and played it a lot even when it was really, really terrible (remember when bounty hunting didn't cover ammunition cost? Or missions wouldn't pay for fuel? Yeah I was there) so I am willing to give it another spin, hopefully the qol improvements will be good enough to retain me this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Cancelbot posted:

Oh god i'm in love with the Chieftain; Only got tier 3 dirty drives and its essentially a Vulture with even more guns and nearly as tanky as a FAS.

I am interested, tell me more

I love the vulture but since NPCs started having engineered stuff, TTK with a beam + multicannon became boringly long, and anything with more weapons was either too expensive or too fat and slow

• Locked thread