Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Join us: get on discord! It's where dreams come true!!!

Dang, I'm always lurking on Discord, have been for months, though I probably keep more of an eye on the GCDC one. I shall have to start being noisier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Terrorism. Amazing. :discourse:

Technically, given they're fighting an oppressive force like the grognards on the forums, I believe the correct term for 3rd party developers is 'freedom fighters'.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Drone posted:

The Diamondback looks like a believable Star Wars ship, so that makes it cool in my book. :colbert:

The AspX is a disc with a Lancaster Bomber-style cockpit, I'm not sure how much more Star Wars you want a ship to look in a Han Solo simulator...

(I actually like the DBX a lot, but I have one of the ship kits and a few paintjobs for the AspX, and am quite content with its 48ly jumps.)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Who remembers such innovative and engaging major releases as 'CQC' and 'Powerplay'?

And 'multicrew'. That one looked like it was going places for a while.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Rah! posted:

i keep telling myself that the bulk of Frontier's staff that's working on Elite must secretly be working on some bad rear end atmospheric landing and FPS stuff, and overhauled missions with more voice acting, etc, while they're keeping a skeleton crew on the current horizons updates we've been getting.

And anytime now, they're finally gonna drop some truly amazing stuff that we all thought was years away, or would never happen.

but then experience tells me, lol

At this point, I'd take just the atmospheric landing. All I want is to mess about in a gas giant's atmosphere, or even just land at an outpost when it's pissing it down with rain.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I think we'll get landing abilities for like the atmospheric desert planets in the next year or so, and maybe gas giants. I think we're at least 2-3 years off from earth-like or even "life-bearing" worlds.

Yeah, when I talk about landing in a storm, I still mean a desolate hellhole, just with an atmosphere. I don't see 'living' worlds till a long way down the road, let alone highly populated ones.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My way around this is to create bookmarks for my course. I make the destination 00 - Whatever, then the waypoints are 01, 02, 03, etc. I do them about every 900ly when exploring, or for trade circuits in the bubble.

Or use https://www.spansh.co.uk to give you cut n paste routes. If you don't wanna use neutrons, set the efficiency to 100. That site is awesome for any trips over 1000ly.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The game's lore since release has involved a couple galactic-wide powers in a constant state of war that only ever showed up in any meaningful way in-game in Galnet posts. I'm honestly expecting it to be limited to weekly "AAAAH THARGOIDS IN SECTOR 2" CGs that spawn CZs in one or two systems at a time.
And a drop in regular CGs anyone else wants to do. I expect Colonia to be completely ignored for several months.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don't understand why they didn't just say "artificial gravity is real" since that's way easier to handwave about. Especially when you're already manipulating spacetime at some hundreds of times C.

It boils down to one thing: "If stations spin then how artificial gravity?"

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm not sure how one excludes the other

It totally doesn't, but that's the logic. "spinny stations were in the original game and cool, and if we had AG there'd be no reason to have them". Despite, as people have pointed out, you could limit workable AG to something the size of, say, a cutter.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

If it's telling you to face the exit to land, somethings hosed up, you ALWAYS land facing the arse end of the station.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Feenix posted:

Oh, Yes. Definitely. I did that. I'm all good... I even have the countdown window for my docking.

It's not TELLING me to face the exit. It's TELLINg me to align with the chevrons on the pad. Which... are pointing to the outside. Sooo... naturally.

I will try that though.. :)

Another tip, to be sure: There'll be be angled blast shield at the back of the pad, your butt should be facing that.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I feel like they already shoved some of the plotting into the main game. Enroute to colonia again right now, and the game is finishing plotting a 1000ly route before the map finishes scrolling over to the end point.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I'm not even half way to Colonia, wonder where these new stations are going to pop up.

At colonia, I think. I took it as more stations in the region, unless I read it completely wrong.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Are the asteroid stations cool enough to detour to the main "highway" to Colonia? I'm about half way there too but instead of heading strait away I curled around the spiral arm and intended to approach Colonia from galactic west (assuming beagle point is north?)

I get they're just eye candy but I wonder if it's worth taking a peek at one and potentially give up some unexplored worlds that would be much more frequent out this direction than on the beeline.

There's definitely one, possibly two, within about 50ly of Colonia, so just have a gander when you get there.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

In fact, here you go, Moore's Charm is the one in a gas giant's ring, which confuses the poo poo out of a docking computer, and Tolagarf's Junkyard is a more conventional one in an asteroid belt.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Classic :frontear: patch so far.

Edit: You're not getting these payouts, by the way. They cottoned on surprisingly fast. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/379004

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

ubergnu posted:

drat. This might be the only SA games thread that's worse than the official forums.

drat, it's not that bad. I can bear to read this thread, so it's better than the forums.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Seeing a fair few people griping that Beyond will be free to horizons owners. "But I paid for a lifetime pass, why should the proles not have to pay?"

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Clarify upjumped?

"With knobs on". Going on past experience of new ships, it'll have an extra hard point and even less jump range.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tippis posted:

But… any more knobs on a Type-9 and it won't fit through the mail slot. :aaa:

That's never stopped FD releasing a ship. See: Imperial Cutter, Beluga...

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Any idea how long these stations and rescue ships will be around? I’ve stashed some modules in the rescue ships for my return visit but don’t want to like log on to a nasty surprise.

Also it’s fairly good money.

At a guess, at least till next weekly maintenance (early hours of Wednesday night server time). They don't tend to change states on things like that till downtime. If it's there after next weds night, you're probably safe till the following weds.

Unless, of course, burning stations is treated differently, because reasons.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Kramjacks posted:

No there's no time limit.

I think if you don't pick it up in two weeks, it's automatically credited to you nowadays.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Custom COVAS/Ship's voices. God, I'll be happy if they just get that Yorkshire lass from traffic control to record a pack for my ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Eldragon posted:

What makes Elite unique is that FDev considers the design problems “features”, and are too arrogant to admit their mistakes.

Game developers, arrogant and unwilling to admit mistakes? That's far from unique.

• Locked thread