Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I should like this game. In every other stupid space game I can enjoy simply the idea that I'm doing things that make some vague contextual sense. Something in Elite just destroys even that enjoyment from immersion.

I don't mean to be a shitter, I get that I'm probably doing all the boring roles (exploration, trading, eventually mining) but it just feels so incredibly onerous to make progress in Elite. I don't have the time or inclination to get the resources and experience to play in Open against folks far better equipped and skilled who want to knock over my sandcastle.

Should I just quit while I'm ahead in my type 6 in solo? :<

Edit: I should say, I enjoyed the game up to my type 6. That progression felt fairly fluid and sensible. Every trade route felt like meaningful progress. Now I'm hovering at a loaded type 6 worth ~2 million and another 8 million in liquid credits and God drat if the type 7 doesn't feel pipe dream/ quit-this-grind levels of unreachable. This is the only boring trade game that makes me feel like this, and I'm the type of gamer that can dump a hundred hours in Truck Sim.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Groggy nard posted:

Robigo runs will annihilate the Type 7 grind and make the Elite grind... almost sane.

Do they still exist? I thought I had read a Reddit post that those missions had gone away, but I had no context. They seemed like something I would very much enjoy in terms of challenge (even with weird bullshit AI things) but I wasn't sure if I had the resources to jump into it. God if that doesn't feel like everything I want to do, though. It feels like to be good at any one role, you need to have 100mil in capital.

I get that's not entirely true, but I sure feel poor when I think of what I'd like to buy/do.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Groggy nard posted:

I've been having the spacemadness so I haven't done it in a while but I keep hearing things like "wow this new patch is going to make Robigo even more ridiculous" and I easily started doing Robigo runs in a :420:Cobra III:420: and highly suggest it as a starter.

I am close enough to being done trying to bulk trade I think I'm willing to dump everything and try it, if for nothing but the idea that I might actually beat through the next ~10 million so I can calmly bulk trade in my next space truck sooner.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Groggy nard posted:

I've been having the spacemadness so I haven't done it in a while but I keep hearing things like "wow this new patch is going to make Robigo even more ridiculous" and I easily started doing Robigo runs in a :420:Cobra III:420: and highly suggest it as a starter.

So I did decide to do Robigo runs and not only are they fun but they feel like sensible progress and I thoroughly enjoy the game again, at least for the moment.

Why are they killing this with the patch again?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Yeah high everything is a grind. In my first 30 or so hours with the game I was absolutely engrossed, getting money, improving my ship, trading and doing missions to steadily improve faction and pilot rank

Then suddenly I had enough money to buy every small ship on a whim, mission payouts remained at newbie level of 10k credits or so, getting another rank or enough money for a single upgrade or high end hull would take another 30hours of grinding without the added variety of buying a new part or ship because I already have everything maxed and several dozen millions away from the next meaningful upgrade

Now I can't even find the will to log in :smith:

This is/was 100% me. My advice is that if it doesn't disappear with the patch (I saw somewhere, maybe here that they may still exist but changed to be less stackable?) do Robigo smuggling missions. I read this suggestion months ago when I tried to pop into the game and assumed it was another soulless grind. Now I'm sad I waited so long.

I suppose it could become a grind like any other, but it at least feels more like that early game progress combined with something a bit more interesting and with a new challenge. Challenging the first time, at least.

Robigo got me into the ~80-100m net worth range with only a few stacked runs, and that puts me solidly in the range to buy most ships and kits. Not the highest end stuff, but enough that it let me feel like I could explore the game's aspects beyond the grind again. Like I said though, might be completely terrible advice if they actually go away.

I think what I miss is kind of the character or life that a game like this needs. It feels like it's still a 1984 game with fancier graphics. I go back to Freelancer that I dumped way too much time into as a teen: Trading was interesting because there was a character to the world. You picked up gold from a place where you could see giant mining ships crunching asteroids, delivered it to factories in distant zones. You knew which areas were dangerous and why- certain zones had groups of pirates or rebels that were particularly dangerous or prevalent. Border systems felt a little less active and more dangerous.

Elite reduced all of that to turning away from the sun, waiting 10 seconds, then FSDing to a new, equally pointless star. I know there's technically the backbone of what I described in elite too, but it should be front and center. The FSD is a cool idea but I guess it also reduces the bubble to feeling incredibly small.

Sorry, post got away from me. TLDR, space is boring.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's the F-35 of games. It's shiny, expensive, but doesn't do any particular thing well even if it's a little of everything. It's unsatisfying and frustrating.

I like that analogy. But yeah, it's frustrating. I want Elite to be good and it has so many of the tiny flavor bits I like. I love that they're adding ATC style chatter, I like the extra little bits of toying with subsystems, power, etc. Little things like the animations of landing pads. All very well done. And visually stunning. I guess it's easy to polish something when there's not much to it.

With regard to the post on 'presenting human civilization' (mobile, can't double quote): I recently stumbled into what must be a newer station and though it had the same overall model, the coloring was different and the interior had palms and even some little plazas between the docking bays.

That enough made me want to make it a "base" of mine. It felt unique, like there was some semblance of character to it that made me want to stay there. I'm sure though once I randomly stumble into 20 more of those stations I'll go right back to not caring though.

I think too the whole idea of impermanence is kind of enjoyment/immersion(?) killing. Exploration and new territory is meaningless to me if there isn't an offsetting "familiar" area. If there's no difference between Lowtax Dock and the distant Whatever Orbital or whatever, why hang around? Or why *not* hang around?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

What the poo poo is it that this game still has a devoted group of people that want it more punishing? Is this just the same "I got my billions early and now I want to be the Elite:Dangerous oligarch" or something?

I hate to keep feeling like I'm shitposting in this thread but Elite hurts me. It is so close to being awesome, if they could just give it character and make it feel sensible to play a few hours a week and not cater to grognards (who for argument I assume are already in min-maxed anacondas and only fight when they know they'll win) who tell me I'm "playing the game wrong" because I want to fly a Clipper before dumping 200 hours into the lifeless husk.

Frontier please bring back Robigo and then balance all progress to +/- 20% of that instead of Robigo being like +200% the rest of the game. Nothing kills me like "Trading is good (if you have a 120mil ship and load out)!" "Bounty hunting is easy money (with a 70mil full kitted ship in these circumstances)!"

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Section Z posted:

Just the usual brand of people who equate inconvenience with "Hardcore difficulty". See also, item durability in the vast majority of games with item durability.

You know, people who will tell you that you don't need credits for anything, such as exploring. Then dismiss you if you if you so much as point out that gas and fuelscoops cost credits.

Very rarely will anyone telling you to just suck it up in a stock sidewinder and "Just enjoy the game, anything else means you are a mindless grinder :smug:", be in a position where they are stuck in a sidewinder. Though I am sure there is at least one dedicated player who has hit triple elite piloting nothing but a Stock Sidewinder the whole time.

But really, that kind of mentality can be found in every game with anything approaching tangible progress to be had. With the same defensiveness. Even shooters like Hawken back when I was playing it. "Levels and credits should take longer to gain! Also the Air Dash part that is level gated if you don't buy it early with Real Money is hot garbage we swear!" "My KDR literally flipped from negative 2, to positive 2 with the entire enemy team dominated about two hours after unlocking it" "Pfft, doesn't count! INCREASE the Grind!"

I suppose when I posted I more or less knew this, but you've hit the nail on the head. I have no problem making the Cutter and things like that take a lot of time and effort. I agree with the base premise that a little bit of "grind" can enrich the reward, but when the grind is balanced against "I play 10 hours every day" instead of "I have a house and a full time job" it's infuriating.

The exploration thing is super annoying. I tried to explore (I guess because I love horrible procedural generation) in earlier ships, but a 60mil~ kitted Asp is so crazy heads and tails above anything else it feels insane to "enjoy" exploring in literally anything else. And it circles back around to grinding just to get to the dumb lifeless activity I'm trying to enjoy!

I promise I'll be positive now and only post good things about Elite.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Gonna reiterate that grind and weirdness would be 100% more tolerable if the game had any more character than Microsoft Samantha telling you if your docking request was approved.

Really what is any game with leveling and progress but a grind? It's all in how you dress it up. Elite does no dressing but for some reason when someone says "this is really boring" they interpret it to mean everyone was bored because they were too extreme.

Oops I got drunk and posted about this bad game again.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 28, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Good news! They added Space Traffic Control which helps a lot for that immersion!

Sorry to interrupt the circlejerk D:

I think this is good and cool.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You know I think one little thing that would be (fairly) low impact and improve the game a lot would be shoving more off the out-of-game info into the game and dress it up a little bit.

To me, elite's strongest offering is a sense of immersion... Kinda. Well hidden loading screens in FTL, little details like the traffic control, the super clean and immersive UI... Just stop making me tab out or look away every couple minutes to find out info that should be available in the game. I'll give them they at least did this with the updates to outfitting.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, I don't know if it's the new AI or what, but there really is no option of running anymore is there? I just got interdicted in an ASP. I submitted, but Frontier happened and I spun out for what seems like an insane amount of time. Started 2 pips shields (4 eng) and lost 50% before I realized how fast they were going down.

Tried 4 pips shields for a second, then just opted for 4 engines because they were down anyway. Boosting and using chaff couldn't buy me distance and I never got another chance to chaff. I have A rated thrusters and an A rated distributor. Would have even combat logged but didn't have enough time. My combat rank is novice. I was dead sub 10 seconds while putting 100% effort into getting away. Yes, I am running smaller class shields but my god.

Do I just have to git gud or am I doomed to meltdown?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SpannerX posted:

Supposedly you have to keep playing the mini
game or you spin out.

Edit: while submitting that is.

So you submit, which lets you charge FSD faster, but gimps you insanely by having you spin for a ton of time.

Or take your chances with the mini game and if you lose, you're gimped again. What's the purpose of submitting now? Also the mini game is sometimes straight up impossible if your escape vector starts what seems like behind you. I'm guessing there's some underlying mechanic or pattern to it that was never explained because it's Elite:Dangerous.

And then you essentially have to exploit the AI with a niche weapon to maybe get away?

Man I know I've drive-by meltdown'd a few times in this thread but I think I'm honestly out this time. I had a dream of raising enough cash to make a super cool clipper or cutter explorer with the engineer FSD buffs and exploring distant screenshots far and wide in Imperial luxury, but gently caress all the nonsense to get there.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

On the Dangerous Games... I really hope EG doesn't win, or they somehow pull a fast one and make two groups powers.

I am super into the player created lore that is popping up around Elite, and the latest radio sidewinder post has cool quotes from both SEPP and GalCop folks that feel in character and relevant.

The EG Pilots rep maybe just wasn't the best at English, but it basically amounts to "We want to win!"

Maybe they have more lore in Russian but that doesn't do a lot for me being exclusively an English speaker. Really hoping GalCop can pull it out. And even if not, I hope that it doesn't mean GalCop (and other lore heavy player groups) get less official support from Frontier.

It's one of the few things that keeps the otherwise fairly lifeless universe somewhat colorful.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there a hard and fast rule on how the engineers upgrades translate to plain English? Specifically the FSD range upgrade. Does the stage 1 mean I can expect 1-4% range, or do I have to do some math to figure out what my actual (in ly) gain will be based on my FSD size and the gain in optimal mass?

Trying to build a Clipper for Exploration but doing a few very short (~300ly) shakedowns made me feel like 25.22ly was going to be pretty lame for distant trips. I'd be fine if I could nudge this up over 30 (or more!) but I'm also afraid I don't understand what the potential FSD gains mean and I could be grinding for days to get like 2-3ly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I used that, but I guess my question in not so many words is how does 4% optimized mass translate to actual ly? Is 4% optimized mass 1ly on some ships and .5ly on other ships?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Although, depending on where you are going that jump range should be fine. Obviously slower than going with a 30+, but as long as you are heading core-ward that should be sufficient range.

Yeah, I can live with it if it means exploring in the cool stylings of the clipper. I'm currently trying to evaluate effort vs reward of upgrading my FSD. I don't want to grind for a week and move 25ly to 28ly. I'll do it if I can bump up to 30-33.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Tippis posted:

As far as I understand, on any given ship, it should be a 1:1 translation into jump range, all else being equal.

Or, rather, a jump uses up a specific amount of fuel that is determined by f = l × 0.001 × (d × mship / moptimal)p.

The l, and p parameters depend on the rating and class of your FSD; the ship mass (mship) obviously depend on the amount of junk you weigh the ship down with; d is the distance you're trying to jump, and optimal mass (moptimal) is the thing you're fiddling with with your upgrade.

That looks like a bit of a mess, but the important thing to note is the parenthesis. Your FSD can spend a given maximum amount of fuel which we can treat as a constant, and anything that alters the other parameters means that the whole thing must balance out to give the same constant number. The exponent p could be a problem, but only if we try to balance something inside the parenthesis against something outside of it — as long as the product inside the parenthesis is constant, the exponent is a non-issue.

This means that, for instance, when looking for a constant product of the distance and masses involved, a 10% lower mass is cancelled out by a 10% lower optimal mass to give the same fuel consumption for the same jump distance. Or 10% higher mass is cancelled out by a 9.1% lower jump distance. Or — and this what you're asking about — that a 10% higher optimal mass is cancelled out by a 10% longer jump distance.

But again, all this assumes that everything else remains constant, which it won't be if you start comparing different ships or different FSDs or different fits. And that last part is where it gets tricky, because your optimal mass bonus will most likely come at the cost of increased mass on the FSD itself. Now, granted, compared to the total mass of the ship, the increase of the FSD mass will be fairly minor, so as a rule of thumb, you can still roughly consider the optimal mass bonus to be the equivalent of a jump range bonus.

…unless I've completely misunderstood the FSD mechanics. :D

This is the adequate level of sperg I need, off to make a spreadsheet. Thanks!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Tippis posted:

This means that, for instance, when looking for a constant product of the distance and masses involved, a 10% lower mass is cancelled out by a 10% lower optimal mass to give the same fuel consumption for the same jump distance. Or 10% higher mass is cancelled out by a 9.1% lower jump distance. Or — and this what you're asking about — that a 10% higher optimal mass is cancelled out by a 10% longer jump distance.

But again, all this assumes that everything else remains constant, which it won't be if you start comparing different ships or different FSDs or different fits. And that last part is where it gets tricky, because your optimal mass bonus will most likely come at the cost of increased mass on the FSD itself. Now, granted, compared to the total mass of the ship, the increase of the FSD mass will be fairly minor, so as a rule of thumb, you can still roughly consider the optimal mass bonus to be the equivalent of a jump range bonus.

The math checks out, thanks again. Even with variations in the mass of the FSD that's fairly negligible at the % of total mass for an exploration clipper.

Super handy to have this information to play with, as now I can calculate that a high end tier 5 FSD upgrade could get me over 35ly in even a cutter.

Because exploring in an Asp is just passé.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

What's the best way these days to get the rep for a Cutter?

https://m.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4sguoa/this_imperial_rank_grind_actually_works/ I used this spot to get up to Baron for the Clipper and it was relatively painless. I started at... Whatever the rank for the courier is and it took me 3 days of only an hour or two playtime each to get to the Clipper. I think the last day was a Sunday though and maybe took a bit longer, regardless. Pretty fast.

It nets not bad money, which is nice. I made 10mil in that period and fairly frequently spent on the horribly inefficient charity missions, so it could have been a lot more.

Even still, if you're a low rank and aiming for cutter I would try to break up the monotony of it with some other stuff.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Coyote Ugly posted:

I did this a few weeks ago to get to knight pretty fast. Is this still good to do to rank up for the Clipper or is there another route to gain imperial rank in a different system. I'm wanting to go back to it get it up.

It was quick enough through Baron for the clipper I didn't blink at it. I think that method is solid! There may be better ones somewhere, but that one is very easy.

Edit: I just finished doing it earlier this week, so if your question was "does it still work" I believe the answer is yes.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is there one for Federal?

No idea - I was set on getting a clipper and modding the FSD to make it into a deep space explorer with Imperial style. Haven't done the federal ranks at all yet.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Level 3 FSD range upgrade just barely nudged me over 30ly with a planetary explorer build. Who needs an Asp?

Time to get out there and get the space madness but in style.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TomR posted:

That's the way to do it. I've been tooling about in my courier but I may pull my cutter out of mothballs.

My "I'm done with this game" sort of goal is to build a deep space cutter. I figure I can get about 36ly at the very high end of engineer upgrades and it can haul a ridiculous amount of stuff. I could haul 200+ tons of cargo at over 30ly range.

In the mean time though, I just ran through a final little check of my load out and such and about to plot a course to Eta Carinae via the Statue of Liberty nebula.

I've been drinking rum and gin but what's the worst that can happen?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It's going to be that except I'm going to flip through the surface of a planet, but then take screenshots of a thargoid settlement from below, which Frontier will insist is a glitch because their game stuck me under the surface.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Royal W posted:

Then you'll get banned for exploiting.

I'm almost mad how on point that is.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there some heat mechanic I don't know about while in planetary flight?

While drunk last night I started my journey out to Eta Carinae, everything went 100% fine and even though I logged in thinking "oh god where am I" I found my clipper nicely parked on a .6 g planet with no damage! Good job drunk me.

I derped around on the planet's surface for a bit, visually scanning the ground. All of a sudden I'm getting tons of heat warnings and my heat is jumping over 110%, I flail to remember what my heat sink button is, then low wake back to the cold safety of space.

AFMUs brought everything back (other than life support at 98% which I don't want to disable for obvious reasons) but why did this happen?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Truga posted:

Turning on a planet can cook you real fast, especially in a clipper, which is already a very heavy ship, and manoeuvrable to boot.

The easiest way to reproduce this is to go real fast towards the ground, then slowly keep pulling back up towards the sky. You'll see yourself getting cooked pretty much instantly.

The easiest way to get rid of heat quick is to either dive, or, even quicker, simply turn FA off and set throttle to zero. Both aren't really an option if you're flying very low though, especially on high G planets (where you're far more prone to getting cooked), so keep that in mind. :v:

That makes sense- I was losing altitude and quickly turned, then panicked and did all sorts of things once I got warnings (which made it worse.) Never knew thrusters could cook you! Good to know.

I consider this trip a shakedown and prep for a larger grand tour later anyway, not that anything is damaged. This will be enough exploration data to feed to Farseer to unlock Rank 5 FSD upgrades.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, when you really get out there the scale really is crushing (in an awesome way). I feel like I haven't done anything but waste the entire weekend playing Elite and this is as far as I got to the Statue of Liberty nebula, which is 'close' to the bubble.

Should get there soon at least!

Somewhat related, are there any in-character/lore 'exploration' diaries or series that are interesting? I ask because I am feeling somewhat creative and thinking about putting something together. I suppose the best platform would be youtube but I have no previous skill in voice acting or video editing - Not that I would hope such a pet project would be the next pewdiepie, just don't want to put effort into something that turns out embarrassing. Might just start writing up some little logs on Inara and seeing if the creative spark stays with me or I get bored and quit.

Any examples or advice in that area?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah, space is big. I am about 3.5kly from the bubble and everything feels so close for the first time in months. I'm finally back in the explored spaces, where about half of the main sequence stars I jump to have been scouted!

Inara has lots of log books, and the *ahem* FD forums have a fair bit of material and stuff for the Fuel Rats, if that's you're lost in the black:
http://inara.cz/galaxy-logbooks
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/117-Elite-Exploration

There are a bunch of youtube videos from Distant Worlds, the big community exploration that went to the far rim, a youtube search will give you plenty of results! If you're worried about being too goony on video, a lot of videos do well with text narration for Elite. Isinona, in particular, comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Isinona/videos

Thanks, will check those out and see how I view my own idea after seeing related content. I have stayed miles away from the Frontier forums so I had no idea what's over there.

Not sure if my idea would work with text-over-videos: I want to basically make up little anecdotes over a trip - Think the Martin sheen monologues about Kurtz in Apoc now. Relate it to my exploration (and try to keep it relevant to the current barnacle hunt/Impending war). Throw in "slice of life" bits about what it would be like living alone as an explorer kLy away from anyone else, dealing with problems or anomalies in equipment. Obviously a lot of that would just be made up.

I don't think that would translate as well with text but I am probably too goony to make it with quality. Who knows.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Playing around with ship builds on Coriolis makes me a little frustrated - Did a dev really want to fly the anaconda? It excels in what seems like 100% of possible categories. Granted I don't do a whole lot of combat so I don't know the nuances there, but it can haul more with better maneuverability than anything but the cutter, which it destroys in range. Basically, why does it get everything and then randomly 41ly range?

I'm a little butt hurt because I was playing around with a cutter to make a long hauler/Jacques station cargo build, and with similar cargo space and almost exactly the same utility, there is a gigantic difference in laden range. (~20 vs ~25, but that makes a significant difference when you factor in the engineer mods)

I get maybe this argument should be that the cutter just isn't that role, but there really isn't any options other than anaconda at that level.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

"Hurrr the devs all play fly druids Anacondas."
:goonsay:

The Cutter can haul twice as much and the Corvette is a much better fighter. The only thing the Anaconda has going for it is jump range.

I just wanted to believe I could make a cutter into a long hauler because God drat if the Gutamaya ships aren't the best looking. I guess you're right but don't get in the way of my meltdown.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This is the guy I was thinking of earlier and was too lazy to find, but I think does the closest to what you describe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fWZggErl4g

But, for me, I prefer Isinona because he does use text instead of actual narration. For all I know, Isinona is some 13 year old from Paraguay with a nasal voice, but I read the text in my own head-voice so I don't think about it. Josh there, I just hear his voice, which has a certain radio quality to it, but I just don't like his inflection for some reason. YMMV.

Scott Manley is another youtube personality, but his style is more scientific/educational, rather than the in-universe style I think you are going for: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYu7z3I8tdEnye22pxwFp2QogI9t76mCN

Josh Hawkins' video is pretty close to what I'm inspired to do but I do see what you mean. He's not bad by any stretch, but the video is a little strange. I guess maybe because it has to be almost podcast like since there isn't much to really film in Elite besides cool space and planetary features or angles of your ship.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Upside of engineers is that I got a explorer-fitted Clipper above 30Ly jump range. :toot:

Also the 7A scoop is hilariously fast.

:respek: Explorer-fit Clipper. I know an Asp with the same upgrades are a direct improvement, but drat if I don't feel much better than all the explorers out there in their boring little pentagon ships. If I'm going to spend weeks taking screenshots of space, I need to be doing in style.

I did save and only got a 6A scoop because drat the 7 is expensive. Also watch your fuel tank because I almost stranded myself a few times. You only have ~3 full jumps in it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I put a extra tank on it.

What size? I went with this build:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/0p5tiFflndnsnf4----0202--37110nv402432i2f.Iw1kAxhNkA==.MwBjIJg82UQIx1AsQ

But I will likely slim it down (and I'm already headed to the bubble to do so).

The 8t cargo hold is hard to give up, but for stupid reasons. I keep some idea in the back of my head that I could potentially stumble onto some cool plot cargo or something like that way out in the ether, and this would let me seize it. I considered actually trying to haul 8x Large survey caches that you sometimes find, but the reward vs. risk of carrying illegal cargo when you return to the bubble doesn't seem worth it. Again, this is stupid because lol that Frontier would put cool stuff way out there.

Definitely going to forgo the 2x rover bay and just get the 1x. I don't anticipate using my rover that much, and I don't know how reckless you'd have to be to lose it. I took mine up and then down a super steep peak in the center of a crater and only did ~6% damage the entire little trip.

2x AFMUs are nice, but also probably not entirely necessary.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Two AFMUs are redundant if you have an srv?

Really? How do you repair the AFMU if there's damage to it?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You can make more AMFU ammo from stuff you collect with the srv.

I see what you're saying about having two, I guess it just seems overly paranoid from my experience with exploring. :shrug:

It was a tip I read, and admittedly after my quick jaunt over to the Statue of Liberty nebula, I think I tend to agree with you. I learned a few pitfalls that I would avoid again and I could see not really needing a second one unless I planned on being gone a very, very long time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sitting here reading all these and thinking, "This never happens, how are goons seriously getting thrown between a binar-"

:stare: This system is nothing but four stars in two binary sets all within 40ls of each other. It is just a mourning star of ship death, apparently. Luckily I didn't get caught in anything when I zoomed in.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Once you can buy a clipper, how much does it usually cost to purchase/fit and what's it good for? So far I've been using a Vulture for RES money making (which seems very fast and indestructible) and an ASP explorer for exploration. Not sure where the clipper fits into the picture of things to do.

I kind of wouldn't mind getting into the public Conflict Power play stuff, but I have no idea where to start. It seems like it's making a bit of news as of late.

I have one built for exploration and it is very fun. With engineers FSD upgrades you can get it in the range of a stock Asp but with more utilities and way, way more style.

It is not a bad bulk hauler/trader (apparently) and I didn't have trouble making it a decent PVE ship to get the materials and things for my FSD mod. Not the best for sure and I didn't want to bite off anything too crazy.

I guess in the end it's the definition of multipurpose. I plan on keeping it in my fleet as my main exploration vehicle, though, presuming I can bare to grind up some of the nice-to-have engineer mods. I linked it earlier in the thread but with that build (which I could surely slim down more) I have 30.77Ly range empty/full tank of fuel with (I think) about a 23% rank 3 upgrade. It didn't take me long at all to get those materials but I had already had some from all the materials I had gotten doing the rep missions.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Kind of excited about the Jacques station CG! Yeah it's just another haulage to a distant spot but I've been wanting to build a long haul ship to carry cargo out there and this gives it purpose other than RP or whatever.

The real question is do I just fit my clipper to do it and maybe sneak in 2 runs during the CG or try to blitz up to a cutter and do one run. I want to do the latter but that's a heck of a lot of credits (and some rank) in a very short period of time if I don't want to also have to go super hard flying out there.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Chrysophylax posted:

Whatever choice you end up doing, engineer up even a basic FSD jump range mod. If you've never done a trek this big, you're looking at at least one thousand jumps.

For sure, I have a 3 rank FSD upgrade on my clipper. I did a quick shakedown jaunt out to the Statue of Liberty nebula which was only ~6kLy so this would be quite a bit more. Isn't Jacques like 22kLy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I was debating kitting out a long-legged jumpaconda so that the trip back isn't quite as suicidal, but I'm also loathe to do it without having ground out the engineering FSD bullshit.

Suppose it depends on whether you enjoy the travel grind or the material grind more. I only had to spend an hour or two seeking the materials for FSD range 3 because I had a stock of mission-reward materials from grinding rep. I imagine trying to get rank 4/5 would be significantly more of a pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread