Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Got a pimped out trading Clipper (if I can ever be bothered trading again), but the upgraded Fer de Lance has become my new favourite ship.

I don't even mind it's still ugly from the outside, and the black paintjob helps with that.

Buffs are real - it has all the powah now, and handles like a Vulture.

A class 3 beam in the huge slot is enough to see off anything's shields, and you can burn it non-stop with an A-grade distributor. Still want a huge beam though.

4 x medium frag cannons with 100 ammo is hilarious, though you have to be right next to target to make them work. But anything kinetic x 4 is mad damage.

Now, where do I go to land the SRV to find some materials to increase the (still terrible) jump range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

So either I have gotten worse at the game, or somehow ships with 2 handling can just keep their nose pointed at a 9 handling vulture. I used to feel untouchable, now it's just nimble enough to keep them in my sight at all times, but not enough to avoid all fire. This is with A thrusters too.

Dunno little vulture, I loved you but I think that's time to step up. I don't have the rank for a FAS, but I can buy a pretty swell FDL, should I go for it? I mainly do pve. What's a good fit for the FDL, 4 medium beams and 1 huge fuckoff cannon?

It's almost like I replied to you, but that appeared after I had posted.

You make an interesting point re. 4 med beams + 1 huge weapon though. With small + medium slots I would definitely put lasers in small, but with FDL I think it works better the other way round - it's just too annoying to aim things with limited ammo in huge slot, and 4 medium beams use a lot more power (and generate more heat) than 1 large.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cowcaster posted:

#AllShipsMatter

Actually on this subject while I don't see myself ever playing this game enough to afford an anaconda, it may be possible at some point in the far off future I could afford a Python or a Fer De Lance. Which is considered the better ship?

If you could only have one ship, Python, without a doubt.

But, it will be a lot more expensive to make that combat viable, and it still handles worse, no matter what you spend.

If you just like shooting mans, and don't feel the need to travel great distances, then FDL. You could probably have that and enough left over for a trade-capable Clipper for the price of a decent fighting Python.

And as a fighter, don't write off the Fed assault ship either, that's still very good, just needs rank 5 in the navy, which isn't a stupid grind.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I almost burned myself out at Arexe over the last few days and got to Post Captain on Sunday -- I'm curious about how close I am to Rear Admiral. Can't wait to get back in the 'Vette.

I am a mere post commander, and, after like 50+ Arexe missions after ascension, but pre-Horizons, am at 0% in the new progress bar.

It could be that mission-stacking breaks the progression somehow? Wouldn't be the first time :frontear: messed up ranks.

At least I have my Cutter.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Derakarsis posted:

Is there an easy way to determine if a system has planetary settlements from the Galaxy map? I mean, they've got people on them they're not supposed to be hiding are they?

Use the system map.

It's the spiky blue halo thing you see here, and the planetary map option will give more info:

That is gently caress all use if you don't have access to the system via the galaxy map. You can sometimes buy that information for a few hundred credits though.

xiansi fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 16, 2015

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Didn't there used to be a screen down between our legs?

That has now become the 'role switching' menu, where you do things involving SRV/ship interactions.

Looking down at your crotch is the official new UI.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Toadsmash posted:

What's the easiest way to get large amounts of phosphorus? Googlefu is still weak on this sort of thing. Get cracking, min/maxers!

You need to equip a detailed surface scanner, to, er, scan the surface of planets, which will then give some indication of mineral composition, and....haha, no, only joking.

That would actually make sense.

As near as I can tell, these things are just unidentified signal sources all over again, it's pure luck.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Shine posted:

Before the patch I switched my Vulture to a Beam/Cannon setup and it was lots of fun, so Beam/Frag is probably a good match as well; though IIRC cannons draw a lot less power than frags so it might be a bit of a pain to make it work on a Vulture.

I am currently dicking about with different weapons in Suziki Terminal at Lumastaya system, and this place seems to sell everything you would ever want for combat ships, including the elusive class-3 gimballed beams.

It has a high intensity combat zone and hazardous RES nearby to test out poo poo too.

And with twin medium fixed cannons on a FAS...something is very wrong - I am taking out maybe 2-3% hull on a stationary, shield-less, power plant at 0% Python with a double hit.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ciaphas posted:

Is that a black hole practically right next to a sun, how does that even work :psyduck:

A black hole has no more or less gravity pull beyond its event horizon than any other object of equivalant mass, and will orbit stuff the same way as a visible body. It's just that all the mass is in a very small volume, and *really* dense.

Also 'right next to' in space is still a loving long way away, and gravity is a very weak force compared to all the other fundamental forces, plus its attractive power decreases in proportion to the square of distance, so you can get quite close to one in astronomical terms.

Although 30,000 Km is super close in those terms, so it's probably a very small one.

All the above is qualified by my knowing just enough :science: to know I'm probably wrong about something though...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

xiansi posted:

A black hole has no more or less gravity pull beyond its event horizon than any other object of equivalant mass, and will orbit stuff the same way as a visible body. It's just that all the mass is in a very small volume, and *really* dense.

Also 'right next to' in space is still a loving long way away, and gravity is a very weak force compared to all the other fundamental forces, plus its attractive power decreases in proportion to the square of distance, so you can get quite close to one in astronomical terms.

Although 30,000 Km is super close in those terms, so it's probably a very small one.

All the above is qualified by my knowing just enough :science: to know I'm probably wrong about something though...

edit:

Oh, right, it's 30Km! That's...close. Can a black hole be that small? I have no idea.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

LCL-Dead posted:

When the gently caress is Frontier going to roll out something that's actually loving sexy and works well in it's intended role? The FDL is close but it just doesn't do it for me like some of the Caldari ships from Eve or even a few of the offerings CIG has managed to churn out. Aside from lack of depth (Which isn't even a huge issue for me) the lack of some truly sexy ships is the only other problem I have with ED.

The Cutter is sexy, and works well in its intended role, which is being able to shift more cargo than anything else you can fly, whilst being so heavily armed nothing short of a full wing will want to mess with you.

Sadly, being fun to fly isn't part of that role.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Let's talk Powerplay.

By which I mean pledging to a power, doing gently caress all for a month, and then spending what is now an insignificant amount of credits in an annoying click-fest getting to 750 merits, and then buying unique modules & storing them on cheap hulls in case they ever become good.

So far I have cyto-scrambler lasers (they sounded useful when all we had was the description!), imperial hammer railguns (which are pretty good, miserable ammo count aside), and the green shields unlock when I next rank up.

What else, if anything, is worth having?

Do the Hudson frag-cannons get the same ammo-boost as regular ones? Because the bonus there sounds like a good trade-off for less damage, and 3 of them on a python :getin:

If nothing else is actually good though, I'll probably just go for drunken missiles, can't go wrong there.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

FronzelNeekburm posted:

For what it's worth, I'm not completely sold on their annual $60 update fee, depending on how much they actually add each season. I'm hoping next season is finally the big revamp of missions and events that undeniably pushes the game from "make your own fun" to "just plain fun for everyone." The same goes for pricey skins and bobbleheads, although at least with the new ones, they finally seem to have challenged their artists to do more than paint bucket fill red/blue/purple/yellow/gray/other gray.

That doesn't mean the Star Citizen fanatics aren't :rolleye:, but there's a little more to it than, "All complaints are a conspiracy."

See, right now, after having dicked around on a couple of planets, I'm fairly underwhelmed with what Horizons added, though that may be because I have always been comically poo poo at driving games. If I didn't have it for free via premium beta and had paid full whack it would not have been worth it for what there is so far.

The quality of life additions in 1.5, plus the new ships, are pretty good, and I'd suggest any current players who don't feel a burning need to visit lifeless planets stick with it for a while and see what the next 2.x releases offer.

Assuming Horizons goes on sale some time next year, and gets the same £10 treatment toward the end of the season, then you're paying a lot less per year if you don't mind being a bit out of date - just pay full price when they add something you must have *now*.

And unlike something with a subscription, you can still play, and more importantly, still earn as good money (actually much better) with what is in the base game.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

With that much pressure would water be ice at that temperature? I don't have a chart for that end of those two scales.

There are 17 types of ice :science: and there's a chart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Phases

The top of the chart is *Tera* pascals!

Bonus points for being able to Google that (without using the word 'phases') and not have the top links be for Pokemon :sigh:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Zaardvark posted:

Next time, try these next-level PRO 360 smuggle tactics:

Scrape pursuers off on a star:

Dive as close to star as you can, then point your butt straight at the star, with your nose pointing out. Wait for pursuers to fly right into the sun. Why does this work? To initiate an interdiction, the pursuer must be behind his target. What is also directly behind you? A star.

Silent Runnings, mon:

Nearing an Orbis station with your contraband, only to find spacecops lingering around the door? Get approximately lined up with the entry slot, pop chaff if you've got it, and toggle Silent Running Mode (default keybind is DEL). Approach steadily. Do not request docking until you are less than 5 km from the door. Glide silently in. Don't forget to turn Silent Running back off. Going cold drastically reduces the range at which spacecops will notice and thus scan you.

Star-scraping advice is good advice. And it's hilarious if it works. The fact you don't get 'Aaagh, I'm melting...' messages is the game's fault.

Station smuggling though - you don't need to do any of that stuff for the local fuzz, especially in an Asp (assuming you haven't gimped thrusters & power distributor), just fly in fast from a straight approach.

What will gently caress you up is if you have police on your tail from a previous supercruise interdiction in the same system before dropping out. You think you have escaped, but no.

These bastards will never go away, and appear in normal space in your docking instance, and no amount of stealth will help.

Unless you are good enough to do a constant-boosting dock whilst running away (and you're probably not, at least not consistently) then the only way to escape a scan near station without re-logging is to target & shoot the fucker before they finish scanning, then dock, and eat a bit of damage + a few hundred credits fine.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Itzena posted:

Of course this also works the other way around but somehow I don't think we'll be seeing the Lifter or Kestrel any time soon. :v:

E: Although the Boa would be nice.

Holy poo poo, a space SR-71. I want one!

Well, ok not 'space' as such from that description, but getting something like this (to be stored in fighter bay of larger ship) when flyable atmospheres come along would be neat. They don't have to keep the fact it was poo poo in Frontier Elite.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

The Locator posted:

Is there any way to tell where I might be able to buy stuff to upgrade my ship? I found one port that has a shipyard and a few ships for sale, but I don't see anything in the outfitting section which is I assume where I would be able to buy upgrades to various systems?

Not really. The general rule is a high population system with a high-tech economy. Zhen dock in Xihe is pretty good, and the nearest decent outfitters to Goon space. Any outfitters in a Li Yong-Rui controlled system (check on Powerplay map) will generally have a 15% discount on stuff as well, which is worth it for high-end gear.

If you don't want to mess around https://eddb.io/station is good - use the "Station sells Modules" search, I think it works again now.

The Locator posted:

is there an easy way to identify the 'wanted' ships to shoot for bounty other than targeting them and waiting for that information to pop up?

You have to scan, but you can make an educated guess as to which ships are no-good scum by looking at the ship type (trade ships are almost never wanted, combat ships are) and can sometimes guess based on NPC name if it is obvioulsy 'badass' sounding . And if anyone scans you when you have empty cargo hold, there will be a message like 'dammit, no cargo...useless', so you know they are a pirate.

The Locator posted:

...ran into a bunch or black rocks that I couldn't see

Yeah, don't fight in a ring when it's in the shadow of planet!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Insert name here posted:

Also they broke the "repair all" button and it repairs your paintjob too, which it didn't use to before. :mad:

Bollocks. That's why I am all shiny & pristine again.

Where we're going, you don't need regression-testing to make sure changes stay changed.

:frontear:

Oh, wait, you will need that.

It'll probably stick after another couple of patches. Maybe...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

RossCo posted:

Whoever did the sound design for the Eagles boost sound all the sounds is a genius. That weird singing noise followed by the engine firing is worth the price I paid for this game on its own.

Wait 'til you get a hauler, with its 'haunted' engine. The Adder sings too, even more disturbingly.

All the ships will give you something new and unique noise-wise. And that's before you start doing things like listening to the stations with engines off, or checking the different planet sounds on system map when exploring.

Oh, and of course this noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitHbh8z7N8

Whilst everyone says a good joystick makes Elite more fun (and it does), good headphones are just as important!

With headphones, I recommend "night mode" from audio options, that enhances the detail.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright, I had enough fun docking and flying around with E:D that I just bought Horizons. Problem is, I am completely clueless and I'm not quite sure how to get myself started. Once very blue moon I'll get a decent delivery contract, but for the most part I rarely have any to choose from (and when I do, the one or two I can choose from seem just awful). I've read some tutorial stuff but none of it seems to help so far and I'm getting tired of going from station to station just to constantly come up empty on missions. (On the plus side, at least I'm pretty good at docking). At some point I want to play with goons, but I'm just trying to figure some poo poo out now.

- Am I correct in avoiding combat missions in the Sidewinder? It seems like trying these in the worst ship with all of the worst quality upgrades would be a bad idea, but maybe the enemies I fight would be even worse (like, no shields or something)?

- I typically see a lot of surface mission possibilities so I decided to buy myself a planetary hangar. Problem is, I couldn't find out how much it would be to buy the SRV until it was too late and I already spent all my money on the hangar (woops). Is doing planetary missions a good way to get started?

- I am completely confused about exploration. I read somewhere that you can scan someplace that has already been scanned and get some money (but not as much as the first scanner), but I've never actually been able to scan anything. I'm guessing I've mostly been in some sort of already explored NPC systems, but how can I tell? I looked at the map and couldn't find a filter for 'scan poo poo in this system to actually get money'.

- Are there better places to go that have more 'new player' missions available, or is it just luck of the draw? The game started me in some tiny pirate station, but I haven't had much luck finding missions there.

- Does it matter if I'm 'speeding'?

- I read I should avoid joining any factions or anything, is that true?

- Can I shoot myself in the foot by accepting the wrong missions? A long time ago I used to do missions in Eve, and you could easily screw up your faction and lock out parts of the game if you didn't know better.

- Yes

- No. Sell that thing back - planet stuff is slow, fiddly, and can wait. You get 100% of the cost back for selling equipment, so feel free to experiment

- Your default Sidewinder comes with a basic scanner. Don't worry about being first on anything, that'll need you to be hundreds of LY away, just assign it to something in a fire group, and scan every time you jump - it's free money, though not much.

- Not really, missions are the same everywhere, they get better (and harder) with rank & faction alignment

- Only if you hit someone

- Powerplay factions? Yeah, avoid that for now, there are no benefits for a new player. Empire/Federation? You can't really 'join', and they are not exclusive, so helping either is fine.

- You won't lock anything out. You might lose a bit of money by abandoning a mission that gives you cargo, but that's all.

quote:

The game started me in some tiny pirate station, but I haven't had much luck finding missions there

Move around. Use the galaxy map, look for bigger stations, and take courier/transport/smuggling missions to get a few credits to get started. Don't touch anything that requires you to *find* stolen goods, that way lies madness. Sell your shields & weapons, buy a fuel scoop and learn to use it, then upgrade frame shift drive + cargo space with any extra cash.

Then get your rear end to 63 G. Capricorni, and check PGS thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324

introduce yourself, and sign up - Goons will happily donate expensive cargo, or babysit you through a profitable bit of bounty killing for some starter cash!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Drake_263 posted:

Say what you like about Imperial construction, it's pretty.

It sure is. On the outside.

Where are my loving fancy chairs?

I didn't smuggle a small planet's weight in slaves to buy a ship where I sit in the same cheap crap as the federal oiks!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I feel like the names for the Cutter and Clipper were swapped around at some point since their uses feel like they don't match the name.

Yeah, the names were not decided on at that point (although it seems that fancy Imperial ship = a "C....er" pattern, so we await the Imperial Cruiser/Criticiser/Crapper etc.)

Mercurius posted:

that art you posted is basically the inside of the Clipper rather than the Courier. Was that official concept art or fan art?

It was official concept art. Talking of which:

https://imgur.com/a/x0vWb

:frontear: have some good concept artists...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Shine posted:

Because nothing you're saying is interesting.

Be fair, the instructions areright there in his profile text.

I mis-clicked, and got rap sheet instead. Seems about right though.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

RabidWeasel posted:

people who were obssessed with the name 'courier', expecting a ship with basically no weapons, outspeeding the Cobra and with a super long jump range.

I was not one of these people, I expect very little, but now you mention it, I would do unspeakable things for that ship.

The Imperial...Cartographer!

Non-supercruise speed isn't a big deal though. Would happily swap that for faster FSD cooldown and an improved planet-scanner.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Turbosnowy posted:

turns out frontier donated me a free viper IV - a beta player with x days played

...today I find I have a Viper MkIV located in Barnard's Star

Yep, I got one of them too.

I am now going to post on the brown sea and complain that it fucks with my careful placement of Sidewinders to mark systems of interest :spergin:

Either that, or fly over there, pick the fucker up, and then fill it full of hull re-enforcements, and ram things...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

I discovered I own a viper, would it be useful as baby's first actual spaceship?

If you are new, and have a surprise Viper IV, it's because goons battered the hell out of the Christmas event, and got you the best gift.

It's a decent mid-range ship, and way, way better than 'baby's first' anything.

Grab that thing as soon as possible.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

Maybe high tech stations would give me better chances?

I'm always seeing mining metal missions at Xihe, which is high-tech and a refinery, so one of those I guess.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Thief posted:

Yeah, this game has the coolest UI and isn't as complicated as it seems at first. Once you get a feel for it you'll be doing all types of Han Solo poo poo in your cockpit while in the middle of a dogfight. Honestly skip the tutorial unless you like grinding because once you figure everything out the main complaint most players have is that it becomes too easy/repetitive.

Is there a Wookie to fix the engines when you get shot up?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

DreadLlama posted:

I'm kitting out an asp to go look at big stars.

A 2A generator fulfills my power requirements. Will a 4A provide better cooling?

Nope, the 'A' rating is all that matters. If you can get by on that, enjoy the extra jump range.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Can I do this by shooting space men in the space rear end until they die or do I have to do the shopping thing?
I want an Assault ship thingy

I'd love to tell you the "Assault ship thingy" isn't worth the hassle, but it is really good!

The only way to get Federal (or Imperial) ranks is doing lots and lots of missions for a minor faction that is aligned with 'em. Shooting rear end (or hauling widgets) gets you more rep per mission than just donating, but probably takes longer.

There is a progress bar now, which will tell you how much more you have to do. It probably isn't too bad to get to rank 5, which is what you need for the FAS.

xiansi fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 16, 2016

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

I am at 50% cadet from charity missions mainly, but having lots of fun!

You should be at least 100% space cadet already just by being :pgabz:, but fun is the thing to be having, so you're doing something right!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Insert name here posted:

Yeah if you're running dual C4 cannons definitely go with beams in the rest of the slots. Also use a biweave because you will otherwise hate yourself when you need to charge up your shields.

I don't have the Corvette yet, but I have been using an absolutely stupid Anaconda build with A7 prismatic shields + 4/8 utility slots as shield boosters, and you can get a very good recharge out of a 6B SCB, which you can carry 2 of if you only enable one at a time. You'll need to pair each recharge with a heatsink, so 3x4 sinks - 2x6 SCBs, and it's a bit fiddly, but lets you stay out for ages killing stuff.

Playing with ship builds (plus power management & obscene amounts of credits) I don't see why you couldn't do something like that with a Corvette, and still have double-huge PAs for shits & giggles.

All of this silliness requires that 150M 8A power plant though...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

I have never put a docking computer on one of my ships but people are always talking about them- are they major time savers in some way? If it actually flew to the station in SC and initiated docking for me I'd consider putting one on my trade ship for sure.

They are a time saver for an Anaconda or Clipper if you count the time saved by just activating the thing and then buggering off to take a piss/make cup of tea/whatever, and then come back to find yourself docked.

You can always dock faster manually. Though that'll probably involve the occasional bit of damage when you go *too* fast, assuming you have dumped shields for max cargo.

It'll probably cost more to repair the odd scrape than you will ever lose in trade profits by sacrificing your smallest module bay.

All that said, who even bothers bulk trading any more?

The only real use for DC is not having to babysit the landing yourself. With anything horribly expensive, the tiny (but still real) chance of it flying you into a wall probably isn't worth it.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm grinding my way to a Cutter for just that purpose (and for fun, of course).

It is weird fun. You can tool up to a half-way decent combat spec and still carry more cargo than a Type-9.

And then when random NPC sidewinder pirate interdicts you, just fly right through the fucker, 'cause it ain't worth the ammo...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

JagGator posted:

Hmmm... I'm a little more pessimistic. It sounds like they are giving us a bunch of pretty misspelled text/pictures around what may be basically the same mission system. I don't think anyone was asking for "I really think this station should treat me with the respect I deserve!" but the devs seem like that is the most important thing ever.

We'll be getting that I reckon.

Maybe better money rewards from missions (with a higher rank), 'cause that's a joke right now.

JagGator posted:

...the grognards in the brown sea were asking for it...

Even worse. Someone one Reddit made a mockup of the mission screen with the same sort of faces from the proposed 'character creator', and it was popular, so...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

lordofthefishes posted:

So I have to ask, is the cobra worth picking up Horizons for prior to tomorrow?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask

It's a better place to ask than the Star Citizen thread. Where I just replied...but posts there are lost like tears in the rain.

And no, it's not worth it, your basic Cobra Mk III is much better.

Get Horizons if you're really into landing on planets, but there's no real gameplay/power advantage to it just yet.

That may change with the 2.1 crafting stuff, but that can wait, and it'll only get cheaper.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Oh, I can think of a few uses for a downloaded bear...

In other news, some people did this:

and I am glad, because that sort of thing is exactly why we should be exploring space.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Excellent stuff, bigger & better weapons are what we need. And good things for huge slots would be nice.

Right now though, I have just qualified for Hudson's 'pacifier' frag cannons, and immediately bought 4 on a pimped out Anaconda (the only thing that can do 4 large), and holy poo poo!

They are much, much better than the basic frag cannon. The damage reduction is more than made up for by tighter spread. If you're not bothered about Powerplay, have a ship that can fit large weapons, and can tolerate the odd interdiction for a month, it's worth pledging to Hudson just for these things.

Nailing most of the pellets in 3-shot burst, which is do-able close up, that's basically half a Python's hull gone in a couple of seconds :getin:

xiansi fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 11, 2016

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

It's just a personal style thing. I keep if the modules are annoying to find (but that's rarely an issue now with eddb.io), if I actually plan to reuse it shortly, or if the hull costs more than 10 million. Otherwise it gets tossed, because I like keeping assets mostly liquid and I dislike clutter.

There's no right or wrong way, it's just how twitchy you are about space pixels. Most of the reason I want a central storage location is because I plan to start stockpiling the different power play modules

I do this. I am an awful hoarder. Fortunately I have access to Founder's world, which makes things a bit better, though it's in an annoyingly non-central location.

So far I have green shields (1 each of class 3-7), 4 x Imperial hammers, 4 x Pacifier frag cannons, and, er, 2 x cyto-scrambler lasers.

I think all I care about now is the pack-hound missiles, on the off chance they ever get made not poo poo, 'cause they sure look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

...63G as a central location for my space dragon hoard, if that's where these allegedly cool kids hang out :c00lbert:

Xihe is good for outfitting in the 63G region. It doesn't have quite everything, and there's no discount, but it's got most stuff.

The station is nearly 2000Ls away, which is annoying, as is the fact the nearby brown dwarf has huge rings you'll inevitably get too close too.

It also has a HazRes for testing your new loadout though, and 'cause it's so damm hot (due to being next to a brown dwarf planet) it's good for making sure that 4-railgun build won't blow your ship up.

• Locked thread