Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

To give a bit of an idea on what the scale there is :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's the round head.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Will I get a bobblehead if I have the "beta + all expansions" kickstarter thing?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Rift DK2 works with elite, but just wait for the consumer version or HTC vive IMO

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hezzy posted:

HTC Vive seems to be the way to go seeing as FDev officially support it and have dropped Oculus

Wait what? I haven't followed this game closely in a while, when did this happen? I remember them mentioning vive support, but when did they say they're going to drop rift?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Golden hutton mugs, duh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
X52 pro is a good stick, 3 of my friends have them and have zero issues. Just make sure you get the pro one, it's slightly more expensive, but I hear non-pro was plagued by the usual saitek low quality build issues.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I guess I've just been proven wrong. Maybe there was a bad batch because I remember a lot of people whining about their broken non-pros :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

I have the X52 Pro and it's been working out pretty well for me. The little scrollwheel on the throttle sometimes acts up (basically it'll randomly think it's being scrolled down, even if it's actually scrolled up at the time) and sometimes holding down the pinky trigger makes it randomly trigger inputs on the top of the stick, but aside from that it's a good stick. Still haven't figured out how to make the little thumbstick on the throttle work in Elite, though.

The little thumbstick actually presents itself as a mouse, like those nipples on laptops. If you want to use it as an extra joystick, you need to do some registry fiddling, and it involves sacrificing another axis for it, because for some reason most game engines are crap (unfortunately this includes elite) and only support 8 axis per device (x52 already has 7 axis).

This post has the .reg in question if you're interested: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1060705&postcount=12 It sacrifices rudder, but if you edit it it's pretty self-explanatory IMHO and you can switch to something else if you need the twisty rudder.

e: Ooops, this is for the non-pro version. Pro version should be the same, but the path in registry is different. I can dig figure it out if you need it, but I don't have an x52 pro anymore, so I can't do it right now.

Truga fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 28, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The saitek driver defaults are set so the nub doesn't act as any directx axis. It does act as a mouse though, right? You can fiddle with registry and make it act as a normal 2 axis joystick, which will make elite detect it normally. It'll still act as a mouse at that point, but you can then disable that in the stupid saitek software.

That said, the nub precision is lovely, because it's an 8bits total thing, so 8 positions (4 bits) per axis, one of which is neutral. It works well enough for strafing in my experience, but it's only marginally better than just having a hat switch for that (and a hat switch is good enough, really).

Also, "saitek software" means just that. Saitek's drivers come with windows these days, the software is just extra if you want to do programming/macros.

As for mapping the mousewheel, I found the only way to do that was to make a macro in saitek's software to press some button. It works in some games, but absolutely refuses to register as a mousewheel in others. No idea why.

Direct input is arcane af at this point, probably in no small part because most engines still use the same code they used for dx7 when they were first written. An engine using the latest windows input stuff will handle a virtually infinite amount of axis and buttons, and it'll work with any sort of exotic thing (like a mousewheel on a throttle :v:), but these seem super rare, and there doesn't seem to be any discernable pattern from where I stand. For example last game where I had no issues mapping all 48 buttons on my stick was star citizen, which has me baffled, because cryengine is the last thing where I'd expect good support for controllers :confused:

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 28, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

well oculus is only $350 from Oculus direct

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-explains-oculus-rift-cost-price-350/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh the DK2. Yeah, but a few months away from consumer products, I wouldn't go for that honestly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unlikely, unless you enjoy wearing barf bags around your neck? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've always wondered how the ships dissipate heat in the vacuum of space :ohdear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
When you see the glowy bits go from yellow to white/blueish glow, you're really pushing it :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played this in over a year, but now I'm getting that space trucking itch again. I have 3 questions google failed to answer though

1. Is (non-rare-thing) trading still fat stacks of cash once you have some credits to deal with?
2. Are autocannons still really bad dps because they can't do decent damage to shields?
3. I noticed getting bounty vouchers even when a bunch of NPCs were shooting at my targets. Was I just lucky or did this get fixed?

e:

This is really nice info, thanks.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 23, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Since I apparently haven't played the game since before 1.0 I started pretty much from zero.

I went directly to the imperial rank grind system Eryxias posted earlier, and it's been decent cash, and is easily doable. Unfortunately, since I'm mostly harmless a lot of the "performance review" missions are still locked out for me, so I've been doing some random bounty hunting in a neighbouring system to get that up now.

It's really funny, though. Both stations are owned by Nobles of HIP 10716, so I'm slowly racking up a bounty doing these. :v:

e: Also, I could find the station without the expensive exploration thing by going into "surface map" for the planet and clicking it there.

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 25, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Bounties seem to give a pretty huge reputation boost, yeah. I turned in less than 1 mil worth of empire bounties and got 15-20% empire rep.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

Here is a 5 minute video about a real thing that people are doing right now.

We have a pretty good map of where stuff is in your head. In fact, our own internal accelerometer's operation is pretty well understood.

I have a question for Occulus Rift users. Given that stimulating people's brains is already a thing we do, and we already know where the part of the brain that senses motion is, how much would you reckon people would pay for an accessory that stimulates your inner ear so when you pull a hard turn in your ship you feel fake g-forces?

Phi230 posted:

As a flight sim enthusiast I would pay good money for something like that.

All you would need is a chair that constantly spins in one direction at a constant speed and input would change the acceleration of the chairs spinning and you would feel fake g force. You would get used to the constant spin after a minute or so and with VR over your eyes you actually would feel as if you were sitting still.

It's crazy to experience. In my flight school we messed around with a chair like that and just manipulating the movement of the chair makes you feel all sorts of crazy stuff that actually isn't happening.

Prepare to get amazed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ_G_zbObWU
e: Video sucks at explaining anything, the description is good though:
Using a safe technique that sends electrical signals to the vestibular system in the ear, Entrim 4D synchronizes the body’s balance system with the changing movements in the VR videos. Users thus feel as if they are a part of the on-screen action, and can even sense direction and speed of movement.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 26, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Newbie question: I google around the web and find ships have about 10% higher top speeds than what I'm reaching with all A grade modules. Are those super stripped down fits to get max speed or am I missing something?

i.e. I can't get viper past 400, but http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Viper_MkIII says 441m/s

e: nvm I played around a bit with coriolis.io and figured it out, it's super stripped down to get there.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 26, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BitBasher posted:

Then in practical use you have to strap yourself into a 5 point harness in a chair bolted to the floor because your body no longer attempts to sit upright because you are hijacking it's sense of what upright is?

Those systems are what keeps you in your chair.

Yeah, you'll need some sort of support to stay in the chair I think if they do this kind of stuff in a game like elite.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I take it there's no way to make the HUD blue to match the imperial ships I fly, but keep enemies red on the radar?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I changed the hud colour in my %applocal%\..\local xml thing and it persists through updates. There's instructions for that on your url.

The issue is, there's no way to set distinct stuff, just the silly RGB matrix. What I have now is okay, but ideally I'd love to have bright green text/indicators on a dark blue background with red alerts/enemies on radar.

Maybe someone someday will trick the matrix into doing that, but I've been trying different weird combinations of negative numbers for over 30 minutes now and it looks like it's no-go :shobon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Imperial courier actually doesn't have all that good lateral thrusters and will drift around quite a bit, especially under gravity. I'm 90% sure the vulture is better at that.

Asp is funny though, especially with D thrusters. I bought one yesterday, slapped on D everything except power plant and FSD and it's absolutely hilarious how the thing will not turn. It spins around very quickly, especially in the blue zone where I think it'll spin way faster than its size should allow it to, but actually changing your velocity from top speed without boosting takes like 30 seconds.

I avoid CFIT by boosting into the sky.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Literally Kermit posted:

Go to a system called LHS 20 which will have all you need. If it does not, nearby Borr will!

These systems are under the influence of a power that gives 15% discounts on ships and outfitting. Buy this:

Does this mean if I buy things here and sell them elsewhere I'll turn a 15% profit, or do they sell at cost anywhere?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The way to make clipper fit on medium pads is have it retract nacelles like navy aircraft can do with wings when it lands so it can go inside the lift/hangar, IMO. Or don't. Outposts suck anyway :v:

e;fb

Realtalk, do any planetary outposts have large pads?

e: after a quick google, yes they do. I can live with that.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 30, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK selling stolen mission slaves to Robigo still works.

So... uh.

I have no idea where to ask this, so I might as well ask here, maybe someone came fiddled with this before. My throttle has two detents on it. AFAIK, they can be moved around if I take the thing apart with a screwdriver, but I'd rather leave that as a last resort.

What I want to achieve is have the ship on full reverse when throttle is at 0, stopped on the first detent, blue zone forward on the 2nd and full throttle at 100. Is there any way to achieve this in elite itself that I'm not seeing? If not, does anyone have a solution to this? I found some joystick curves thing on the webs but while it's very nice it only works correctly for -50 - +50 axis (i.e. pitch/roll) axis and not for 0-100 ones, because it modifies both extremes of an axis.

e: Of course after I ask this I find out moving the deadzone of the throttle in control panel also moves the "center". Good enough for now.

Truga fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 31, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

What kind of joystick do you have?

It's a saitek x-65

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Eh, I guess it's fairly subjective. I love my x65 and it's good as gently caress, but yeah, it also has a mini stick, not just the dumb mouse nipple.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I thought I read something about someone getting it to not totally suck at lateral thrust control

You need to do some regedit things to disable some other axis to make space for the x and y axes of the mini stick (because most games seem to support only 8 axis and 32 buttons per joystick (except star citizen, don't ask why I know this)). Then you disable the mouse functionality in the pro flight software and it behaves like a normal joystick

I don't have the link to it right now but I'll try to find it in about... 30 minutes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Oh hey, good news - you don't have to unmap any axis on the x-55 for it to work:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2rudl0/xpost_rhotas_how_to_turn_x55_mouse_ministick_into/

e: For anyone on an x52 or x65 wanting to do this:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1060705&postcount=12
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1060211&postcount=1

I *think* the x52-pro uses the same values as the vanilla x52, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't you just have to find what your device ID is in the device manager and edit the .reg appropriately, though. Fairly easy stuff.

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 1, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So I've been flying a clipper for about 3 days now, and a ship this large really has no business handling this well. I guess the fairly lovely shield strength is due to this, but I don't really mind, seeing how I can always just boost away and recharge, as nothing except another clipper can really catch up. Maybe a stripped down cobra, but lol at stripped cobras in combat. I *really* like this ship.

The jump range is rather unfortunate and its only real downside, but still plenty good enough for navigating the bubble.

That said, does anyone know if size 8 military armour exists? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

fake edit: joystick :spergin:

Insert name here posted:

I'm not asking for a lot of range, just something like the F-16 IRL where they added something like a half inch diameter of play (after originally having the stick not move) to make it more comfortable to use and easier to judge how much pressure you're applying.

The stick does bend a bit because obviously there's no such thing as a completely stiff material, but yeah, It's not like the new F-16 stick, there's no intentional play in it. Mine bends by about half a cm from center during normal use.

My story with x65 is, I got to try one for about 15 minutes and hated it. But then a couple years later, they were on sale really cheap where I live after they got discontinued (just under 200 euros shipped) and a friend of mine wanted a decent joystick cause his logitech wingman extreme finally died. So I bought the x65 and gave him my old x52 pro. I figured, "if I hate it, I can ebay it to some sucker abroad for twice the price I bought it at and it'll still look cheap to him".

The thing is though, after an hour or two of using it, I kinda just stopped noticing it doesn't move. After a couple days it became natural, even more so than a normal joystick IMO. The stupendous ranges of range it supports is really really good too, and it has 4 sensitivity settings. In flight sims, I use 3 and 5kg max pull on x/y axes, in space games 2/3kg (because constantly pulling at 5kg gets tiring and max deflection is pretty much a constant thing in space games). Coupled with zero deadzone, basically anything between "light touch" and "pulling real loving hard" is a different input. Not dissimilar to having a joystick on the ground with a long extender pipe, to give a lot larger motion range. Last but not least, the mouse ministick is an actual stick with a decent amount of motion range, not just a nub.

There is a pretty hefty downside though. To get good use out of it, you pretty much need to bolt it down onto something. An x52 you just pop on the table and fly, x65 not so much unless you're willing to go to much higher sensitivity (at which point, an x52 is probably same difference, but much cheaper). It does come with a set of velcro strips, but that's not all that good since there's still plenty of play in the velcro if you pull hard and you'll lose a ton of accuracy.

At this point, I just hope mine keeps working because there's no way to get one for a good price any longer and the warthog+force sensing mod for it costs like $1000 too :wtc:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lima posted:

Plop in a reference system and this page should tell you - https://eddb.io/station?m=790&i=1

Woah, thanks, that site owns. I can even search by that 15% off guy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

*they might not appear.

One upside of the whole open/solo split is, if something you want doesn't appear, switch. It'll reset instance and should get new spawns quicker :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Angrymog posted:

P.S Canons are terrible. Go for two Pulse lasers or one Pulse/1 MC on your sidey.

Are large cannons terrible too? I have two on my clipper and they seem ok.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

I strongly endorse flak cannons though. Just remember they are space shotguns and to fire from as close as possible.

This is basically how I use cannons. Since their hardpoints are pretty poo poo anyway, I use gimbal ones and have them target powerplants (seeing an anaconda's powerplant go to 0% in 3-4 shots is great). They're pretty much useless against smaller ships though.

Chaff is annoying, but I still hit fine when unlocked when up close. I guess I'll try frag cannons next.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Before I dump the cash on a python: does the Robigo slave thing with accepting missions and selling them right back still work? I'm closing in on the rank required for cutter and I really don't want to grind out the 500 billion or whatever the normal way.

DreadLlama posted:

The default setup for the thrustmaster T flight includes a keybind for deploying heatsinks, but not for engaging supercruise or targetting subsystems. I don't want to puzzle my way through finding an optimal setup when it's likely that one of you has already.

What's the best T flight hotas setup?

Bindings are very much a personal preference kind of thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Never gets old

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What I know still works is stack up on shadow delivery missions cause they give like 1-5 slaves out now, and reward you >5 million per if your trader rank is high enough. They'll all be to only a couple places so you can unload all of them fairly quickly, making loads of cash.

No idea about just getting missions with lots of slave and dumping them though. Probably not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, healing lasers. How long before we see spider tanks :v:

• Locked thread