Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Astroniomix posted:

It's :frontear: so I'm expecting an amazingly bad return on cap usage for actual healing done with these things.

Well in eve it's the same unless you train for logistics ships. I doubt we'll get "tech 2" style of ships here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Uh, spider tank battleships pretty much require cap boosters I thought, which pretty much removes any staying power unless you have some hauler resupplying them.

I mean, I stopped playing like 5 years ago, maybe things changed, but that's how it was. :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

The weakness here is you have to actually hit your wingmate, and he'll probably be flying quite evasively if his shields need a regen.

I really hope these things are just a nice little bonus, and they're not doubling down on the morepig route and creating a loving healer class. They already had to fix their health potions because of the effect they had on pvp, I can't imagine that will be any better.

Yeah, unless you can train turrets onto your wingmates, I don't really see this happening much. And even then, only big ships would use this with any real efficiency, smaller ones already need all the firepower they can get.

As for them creating a straight up healer class, they can just reduce the amount of shield healed if that happens. Spider tanks where you keep a guy alive long enough to kill one of their guys and turn the tide of battle are a neat gimmick when pulled off right. One guy healing the damage of 4 people is silly.

Astroniomix posted:

I'm also imagining pythons setting themselves on fire with these things.

Heatsinks are now the new cap boosters? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god, the game is finally giving out actual damage numbers in outfitting?

Finally, I say.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

IAmTheRad posted:

Seeing the other two modifications of thermal shock and force shell. It looks like some of these upgrades are for PvP purposes. When do NPCs care about Heat? When do they care about being forced off course a bit?

NPCs in RES are already often flying dangerously close to rocks. I just hope that upgrade is also available for fragment cannons, I'd love to be able to shotgun someone into an obstacle/ground.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Best trade routes are 2 stops, each netting >1000 per ton (ideally >2500 round trip, so if one way is crap but the other way is 2000 you're still ok). You can do more stops, but that'll be harder to find in my experience.

If you do this in something big (type 9 is very cheap for the amount of cargo it sports), and find two systems that are close enough to not require refuelling, and both stations are close enough to the sun to not spend much time in supercruise, you can make round trips in ~10 minutes. Should be getting you like 30-40m/hour. Of course, that's a shitton of things that have to align just right. I haven't found a route that good since beta (though I also haven't really been looking, but allegedly there are some). Slaves sell really well on black markets too IIRC, so maybe that's also an option, if you can handle some fines when getting scanned. And you will get scanned in a huge cargo barge.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

1500 posted:

Silent running.

Does nothing against NPCs.

The *only* thing that matters is speed. You need to get out of range. Get the best thrusters, boost away.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

I for one hope that, rather than having cargo automatically loaded into our ships when we buy it, Frontier removes that unrealistic abstraction and instead makes us use a space forklift to drive cargo from a warehouse to our ship, a couple of canisters at a time. Don't forget to open the individual cargo rack and make sure it's not full before loading it in, or you might break the cargo!

Excuse me, Sir!
Do you have a moment to talk about Christ Roberts?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

Excuse me you missed the most important change:

E: Beta client is live in the launcher for anyone else who paid too much money (hi).

Oh my god that is the best change.

Also, yeah, I'm patching, let's see what this is all about

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
- Replace the authored ring detail texture with a generated texture which is unique for every ringed planet and does not tile
- Scale frequency of detail texture on planet rings so that rings of differing breadths have uniform detail effects

I love this kind of crap. It's not something that's annoying, but it's also easy to notice when you're seeing it, and it getting fixed is awesome.

Procedural generation is the best thing :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of beta, how is persistence between beta and live usually handled? I have the same stuff on beta as live, but I'm guessing it won't carry over?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mike the TV posted:

Both Felicity Farseer and Elvira Martuuk can upgrade your FSD. I can't tell you exactly what they do yet because you need to build rep with them before you can start getting the good upgrades.

I picked a random engineer and headed there, and Farseer wants 1 ton of fish to unlock the (first?) thing.

I hope the FSD upgrade is good, because right now the only reason I'm not flying eagles and similar constantly is the dumb low jump range.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You should care very much:

To get higher tiers, you need to buy upgrades from the engineer, so...
e: This is still in beta for a while though so no hurry. By the time it's live you'll be rich. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

YellerBill posted:

I went looking for the fancy C3 thrusters earlier for my courier and couldn't find any. Are they uncommon-ish modules, do I have to get an upgrade from an Engineer, or what?

They're separate modules. They come in 2A and 3A variations, and they're going to cost more than entire ships you can fit them on apparently :v:

I found them at an engineer's outfitting station (the one that's specialized in FSD and shields, system starts with K), but I'm pretty sure that's a coincidence.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

IAmTheRad posted:

I do hope that the performance on surfaces improves. I get some major frame drops when I even have ground set to 'low'.

I had some weird and very nasty stutter issues even with a 980Ti (though I do play on ultra) and they seem mostly gone now.

e::wtc:

Yesterday I had issues with the upgrade button being gray when beta 2 released, so I had to reinstall it, now it's just gone from the list of clients :frontear:

There's missions beta, and all that other junk, but no engineers beta.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 6, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

radintorov posted:

You can also get them as quest rewards, from blowing up NPCs and even just scanning them.
Welcome to a MMO-style loot system. :v:

It's good that literally everything drops things you can use now.

It's not so good that it's basically a RNG system. Combo'd with another RNG system of crafting :cripes:

Hmm, yes, let's give people more chances to get hosed over by RNG, that sounds like a glorious idea.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's like the other surface things where you just have a backpack that goes with you on death? No idea how that'll work though, mine's already almost full.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sekenr posted:

Not gonna happen. It would take 4 hours to travel to Neptune from the sun at the speed of light. Our supercruise is FTL and it's still boring as gently caress.

For the person moving at .999c it's only 10 minutes though. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, was gonna say if the entire game is just one system you can fill it with content, but if you're going sperg about realism, system is pretty much avacuum, the rest is just a rounding error, so not really good to put content in :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

I'm definitely on the "gently caress realism" train.

I just think that setting a game in our solar system would be cool.

Isn't that what the battlescape kickstarter was? I backed that, hoping it's cool.

Literally Kermit posted:

Well give the Diamond Frogs a few months to expand and you will get your wish :getin:

:holymoley:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Akion posted:

BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE HAVING FUN IN SUCH A WAY THAT I CAN'T RUIN IT!

Seriously, if you are such broken-rear end manchild that the only way you can have a good time is knowing that everyone is forced to deal with you making GBS threads on them, you need to grow the gently caress up. Some of us don't want to deal with other players all the time.

Yes, that's totally the only possible reason. It's totally not the fact that people want to play Risk, but with spaceships, and can't because someone invisible keeps destroying all their poo poo.

I mean, I get why this wouldn't work with elite even without solo play, since the instancing system allows you to easily play solo in open too, but let's cut the hyperbole a bit shall we?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
BUT THERE ARE INVISIBLE PEOPLE OUT THERE KICKING DOWN MY SAND CASTLES

like that?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, x52 is a very good stick, providing you got an ok stick. Since your friend probably had it for a while, it'll be fine. They either come broken or break after a week, or they last forever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Make a macro that cycles through all your cannons, so one fires every 0.5s, mounts as many forceful cannons as you can, enjoy your spinning top gallery :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

Do all pirates do this? In my experience, if a pirate pulls me out of supercruise, even a unshielded Sidewinder will go from "Give me your cargo" to "DIE!!!!!!!!" in zero seconds flat if you don't have any cargo.

This is just for the wanted npcs that scan you at nav/res sites. If you get pulled out of SC the guy is already wants you dead.

e;fb

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Crow posted:

I think Shine understood and already answered, but for clarification I was indeed talking about shield cells and there was a time when people could just chain pop them and so you'd be stuck fighting some python with 50 shield cell banks and the fights would be super boring and take like 20 minutes a piece.

They were also very fast at refilling the shield so you couldn't out damage it in any way.

Basically what I was asking is if I can equip a weapon that will just say "gently caress your shield cells" and stop it in its tracks, preventing it from regenerating. Additionally / alternatively, if I Frontier changed how they worked to achieve the same effect, where you can only really use maybe one or two in a fight.

Both would be the ideal answer, which I think Shine said is the case.

Cells cause a huge heat build up and have like a 5 second delay now, so there's that. You can't really spam them without huge amounts of heatsinks. Especially on some bigger ships that like to run hot even before you start popping SCs.

AFAIK the new ~elite pvp~ meta is silent running hull tanking currently :v: (though that might very well change with large autocannons)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

Is it possible to discuss strategies intended to allow a single player to enjoy elite as a sandbox rather than an mmo given the following?

If you have a private server/offline mode, you can discuss it all you want. You still need game files, which aren't legally obtainable without a game copy. If someone uses your method after they steal the game, that's on them, not you. Good luck in your endeavours. I too, would love a version where I don't need to grind pointless poo poo just because I want to fly a big ship once or twice a month.

FYI, there's plenty of private wow server threads floating around these forums.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Colonial Air Force posted:

:lol: some idiot said max rewards for NPCs should be 1000cr.

Well, he's not wrong. Then just bring the anaconda price down to about 1 million.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm sure the people who play FSX get pissed that they can't buy airports.

But they can: http://www.fseconomy.net/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Any station that's fairly far away from the bubble will generate missions that give shittons of cash.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wish combat was that quick for legit players in this game :sigh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The new small ship thrusters are insane and great and awesome and epic. And small ships are cheap and easy to fit.

If you want to fly large ships you're still pretty much hosed, because gently caress that grind (where's my offline mode so I can cheat :arghfist:), but why would you want to fly a space truck when you can fly a space F-14??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah. And if flying around those kinds of vistas was the game, that'd be absolutely great. Top notch, game of the year. But this:

is what the game looks like 90% of the time.

Game could be vastly improved by instantaneous jumps between those kinds of views, in my opinion. FSD travel that's not jumping is boring as hell, even the EVE Online system is more exciting.

Yeah, the accel/deceleration part of supercruise is waaaay too long.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

7 seconds to your destination is "the Pipe".

You can hit 6 and still decelerate in time.

But if you hit 5 you're probably going to overshoot or need to shoot by a gravity well to slow down.

What I'm doing these days is just keep throttle at 100% (100% pretty much stops decelerating almost completely for some reason), fly "below" the target, look up at it, and keep the timer at 2-3 seconds by pulling up into it and reducing throttle to 95%.

Usually leaves me in safe destination lock speed and range around the time I finish the 2nd or 3rd circle around it. It's probably slower than riding the 5-6 second window, but it also doesn't feel slower and is way more fun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

How does everyone with a hotas/rudder pedals handle control on the srv? I bound my stick's left/right to steer left/right and roll left/right when in the air. I bound my rudder pedals to control the yaw of the turret and my stick's up/down controls the pitch of the turret as well as the pitch of the srv when in the air.

It works ok but it doesn't feel great.

I use the rotary silder on top of the throttle to do steering, throttle for speed and joystick for pitch and roll. Ministick for aiming turret. Having roll on joystick while also steering ended up in one train car wreck too many.

I'm going to bind it to my logitech wheel one day :v:

King of Cheeses posted:

If you get interdicted and a scan starts, just boost away.

This is the correct course of action, unless you're in something terribly slow.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 4, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

Solo mode is fine but ultimately is kind of a bad replacement for an actual not-online singleplayer mode. I'd pay an extra 60$ just to get proper single player or at least a private-server game where I could use mods.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't either way thou

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowMoo posted:

Stationary graphics at that. Most stars are just 3d static images.

They're actually not, but the distances, and thus time involved in the image changes take forever. Have a timelapse though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGupxOG853I

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's all the shepard tones :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

I thought I was in one of the IT threads for a second.

:same:

• Locked thread