Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PoorMoralCompass posted:

As a new-ish player [month or two] I gotta say what the hell.
Right after a big patch is always an awkward time to start, so maybe give Frontier some time to patch bugs before trying to dive in too deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

radintorov posted:

Also, Isinona is back with a new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSQgGzo2S6Q
The dude is a lunatic. Nice to see he's still having fun, though.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

DancingShade posted:

It's way less "argh" trying to find materials if you just run missions in a Cobra Mk III and cherry pick. Still takes a long while but you'll pick up many other useful ones on the way without having to worry about obscure drop methods.
Are we able to move materials between ships now?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Strategic Tea posted:

The Cobra is about Millennium Falcon size IIRC, and a Corvette is about the size of the Normandy. But nothing gives that 'I am flying an office block with fifty souls aboard' feeling as far as I know. Never flown anything really big though so :shrug:

If you want to fly an office building, the Type 9 is your ship.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Blind Rasputin posted:

Eek. I'm way outside the bubble right now in my first Asp and didn't put heat sinks on it and my distributor is kind of just big enough for one boost if I need it. I have already jumped into binary systems but thankfully on their outside edge.

How many jumps until I die from a tragic space accident?
I had my first encounter with jumping inside a star one jump before I got to SagA*.

I jumped straight out as soon as I could, though, so it wasn't instant death. Just keep an eye when jumping in, and be ready to truck on out of there if you see a giant glowing ball whizzing past.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Tippis posted:

One problem with these zones, though, is that they're fairly obvious and often completely explored already, so you probably won't put your name on the map with them. For that, you're probably better off looking at the opposite end of the spectrum: in a stellar death zone, which doesn't show up as easily on the map since there are no bright star clusters or nebulae to give them away. Black holes and neutron stars won't be as abundant there as in the birthing zones because there won't be those binary/tripple/quad systems, but they'll still be relatively common. A

Also, you can change your galaxy map filters to show specific types of stars. But as Tippis notes, everyone and their brother has already done this for the interesting stars -- black holes, type O/B/A, etc., so if you want discovery credit, you're better off trying to find a patch of space that hasn't been heavily traveled (no nebulae).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Morter posted:

Okay so it's been over a half a year and I'm still considering getting Horizons.

Your rear end will get kicked equally well everywhere now.

Horizons isn't really the cause of any of the major complaints about the game; it just doesn't resolve them. However, if you're going to keep playing, you might as well get Horizons, since you're locking yourself out of planetary landings and now the crafting system, which means you're at a disadvantage against NPCs if you can stomach any sort of grinding at all.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kavros posted:

The ships still seem to just chill out in gimbal range, but my shields vanish much faster than before! Or am I halluncinating it?

My weapons loadout is still all pulse lasers; are those worse now?
They rewrote the AI to be much smarter about managing its power, and also ships can occasionally show up with Engineer-boosted equipment. And they fly smarter. Just generally a big step up in combat difficulty.

Also, depending on when you last played, they might have rebalanced what having fewer pips in SYS means for how long your shields last.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Panch posted:

I'm guessing this is more of a personal "workflow" question than an absolute better or worse, but is there any real advantage to scooping every several stars than every single one?
If your scoop is big enough, you can just wander close enough to the star while honking that it won't matter. There's no big time difference either way.

You're a braver man than I if you go into the system map while flying toward a star, though. I've burned up in deep space scooping from a star and trying to plot a course near the center of the galaxy.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, never fly straight at the star to scoop. Fly towards the outside of the exclusion zone at a tangent and don't let your heat get above 65% or so! :eng101:

If you are a crazy person like me, you can do this while you are firing the discovery scanner, then drop your speed to 0 and point at the star to scan it while you refuel. Never not scan all of the things.
As long as you're not diving straight into the star, scooping and scanning and anything else while parked is fine.

But if you're going to go make a sandwich or especially poke around in the system map, be aware that you're still in motion in supercruise, even with the throttle at minimum. And you can't hear warning sirens in the map screen until everything is on fire and shutting down.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dante80 posted:

Instant transfer (and with these prices) is a little cheesy..but I'll take it!
I love the 570,000 credit fee to move a Beluga. Witch space isn't cheap! :mitt:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
^^ :golfclap:

...what did they change? Something cosmetic in the transitions?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
By the way, since we can move ships around, can we do credit transfers yet? Or is that too much of an affront to serious gamers?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

timn posted:

Did I miss something with this "hideously expensive" talk? The one screenshot I saw was something like 600k to move a Beluga almost 200ly. 600k to take a ship that will probably cost up to a billion to A-fit and teleport it most of the way across the bubble. And all of the other examples on there were far less expensive IIRC.

It's highly unlikely you'll be earning millions of easy credits with passenger missions, although that raises the question of why anyone will be flying a space whale in the first place.

But once you get into a Diamondback Explorer or above, travel times all over the bubble are piddling. Ship transport seems mainly like a feature for :mitt: with forty ships they can't be arsed to find, but it's still kind of silly that they're bothering with a money sink that only the ultra-rich will bother with.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Managed top 75% for four short trips, so that was a pretty nice CG :)

Except when I got jumped by a killer FAS who destroyed me in under a minute while I was boosting away with full pips in SYS. :(

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dabir posted:

Was it a guy called Ameal? Cause I saw him prowling around there in a FAS.
No, an NPC, which is why I was so surprised. Just a regular Competent-ranked non-CMDR, and my Exploraconda had Thrusters Malfunctioning before I could high-wake out.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Chrysophylax posted:

I'm not concerned with transferring within the bubble. I don't want people running to places like Jaques with fast ships while there's a CG and then instantly bringing in their FDLs and killing everyone.
Some ships should be good at traversing large parts of space, and some should be bad at it. If we have instant transfer no matter the distance, suddenly all ships are equally good at getting to the other side of the galaxy. No thanks.
You do realize that a "fast" ship still takes days to fly that far, right? And that there's only one station that far outside the bubble?

Chrysophylax posted:

Dude, basically all of the balance for combat ships is centered around having a short jump range. Multirole ships only exist because there's a need to compromise between combat ability and exploration/cargo hauling ability. You don't want to wander too far into dangerous territory without having at least a little bit of power to fight back, right? At the same time, you give up long-range travel ability to be king of the hill in pure combat.
The longest-range ship in the game is an Anaconda. Millions of credits and hours spent are the only balancing factors in Elite.

Chrysophylax posted:

Delivering gold--Now you don't have to fly your massive short jumping type-9 3-5 jumps back to the station that has gold for sale. Get your hauler with max jump range, run to the supply station and insta-transfer your ship to you. Load up the type-9, jump to the station, sell your stuff, insta-deliver your hauler and fly back fast. Rinse/repeat. Reduces your jumps by 50%. Total exploit.
Remember that transfers also cost money. The clip they showed in the preview video showed a cost of 600,000 credits for a Beluga (for some unspecified distance). You'll probably be losing money on that deal.

quote:

After you get tired of that, have your combat anaconda delivered to you in seconds (even though it took 12 hours of play time to get there with 50 LY jump range). Murder all of the explorers in your insta-delivered death machine.
This already happens. Some dude was hanging around SagA* for a while killing anyone who showed up in Open Play.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 8, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I tried to fire up the beta, but every time I try to update, it crashes after about a minute. The same happened after I deleted the whole PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64 folder. Anyone else run into this?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Do NPC pirates leave you alone if you are a higher combat rating?
They turn into more dangerous pirates.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

BitBasher posted:

This is pretty much true of any game. And life, life too.

Be happy with what it is or move on, don't dwell on what you want it to be if it isn't that. Instead move on and try to find something that is.

See you in the 'Verse!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Chrysophylax posted:

It's what some sperg at the brown sea said.

Also note that 50% is not nearly enough, you're still paying like 6 million for 150ly for a vette.

I would pay maybe 10% of that? The calculation they're performing is based off of the ship's value somehow, and that's what's screwing up the big ships.

Save money, it'll do ya good. That's what the guy who flew to Jacques Station used to say.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Conskill posted:

Characterizing it as a space car tow gave me an idea.

Space AAA. No, really. Pay a fee for membership and get access to reduced cost tow and, hell, throw in a gas service as well.

There was an emergency beacon back in beta, before they added fuel scooping. Then they added scoops and disabled the beacon.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Open is full of SDC combat ships killing everyone in sight. In solo, the comms beacon is reading off numbers that sound like alphanumeric substitution but don't seem to translate to anything. So far, I've heard:

7 14 3 25 23 1 6 6 1 9 8 25 12 5 2 23 12 8 7 7 14 3 25 11 1 11 9 18 5 22 15 12 20 19 2 5 15 3 10 7 19 3 21 7 10 5 18 7 5 6 10 13 3 6 6 1 23 2 1 13 14 7 10 1 7 25 11 3 6 1 4 3 2 7 5 24 8 18 11 15 1 4 1 2 5 10 1 11 3 7 14 3 25 23 1 6 6 19 8 25 12 5 2 23 12 8 7 7 14 3 25 11 1 11 9 18 5 22 15 12 20 19 2 5

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
So if you can't buy missiles at the station, how are people restocking between runs?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

sethimothy posted:

Whad add-on allows him (and I assume anyone else using it) to track where they have been? That'd be fairly useful, actually.

You need to enable verbose logging, which then lets you see which systems you enter in the log files, and sites/tools like Inara will be able to parse them for you.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zest posted:

I think there's definitely an issue with how Fdev is handling the nature of the game they've built. Things like Sothis/Ceos long-hauling and the 17 Drac spam were missed opportunities to build on player interaction with the universe, where they treated emergent gameplay as a bug or exploit. Sothis/Ceos long-hauling easily fits into the universe. 17 Drac could have easily been highlighted in the GalNet stuff: "Hostilities explode in 17 Draconis war as mercenary Commanders flood system". These sorts of things can act as hooks for building new mechanics and/or features, or act as barometers for your playerbase. A rare case where I'd say to take a page out of CCP's book and loosen the leash on the players a bit, and just roll with the flow.

Patching these money-making tricks is fine if the rest of the game provides enough progress -- or enough other distractions. Nobody should need a Cutter on day one, but it should also not take multiple years of tedium to earn. On the other hand, I think having more of a "story" layer would go a long way toward distracting people who obsess over buying ships. They look at the missions, see that nothing pays well, and assume, "If I just had a better ship, this would all be easy and fun." But diminishing rewards just make the larger ships equally frustrating for ten times the cost. In other games, you play for the story, the missions, the camaraderie, the boss fights, the exploration... Elite needs those elements so you don't focus on the grind(s).

I've been whining for ages about how even a veneer of plot threads can go a long way in these games, and Frontier should just hire a writer to churn out silly mission text and templates for them to plug into the mission board. Stellaris did that recently, too. But at this point, when they have to issue a patch just to nerf Sothis/Ceos/17Drac type payouts, I'm wondering if the code can't even support modular adjustments like that.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Good Dumplings posted:

if you're not playing this game for the flight mechanics, you're playing it for hauling/npc grinding and holy drat I'll take being a grog over that active torture. maybe exploration? but again, haven't heard much on that front since colonia was a thing

Exploration can be interesting if you love astronomy, but it's also a lot of jumping into brown dwarf systems full of rocks and jumping out 30 seconds later. I did it for about six months and earned enough money to... uh... upgrade my Asp.

I'd basically recommend going nebula/black hole sightseeing or trying to discover hidden supergiants unless you're absolutely determined to be part of the "far edge of the galaxy" club.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

adamantium|wang posted:

This was a bit terrifying to drop out of hyperspace into

:monocle:

Someday I need to get back out and see what systems like this look like now.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

DancingShade posted:

I guess what I'm saying is Viscera Cleanup Detail on an ED spaceship.

I could gently caress in that.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I didn't realize this, but apparently you're stuck in solo mode until you make your first frameshift jump. So... basically just plot a course anywhere, and you should be able to get into Open Play.

It sounds like your character was reset, though. Have you played since the launch of the gamma test in Dec. 2014? The pre-release beta tests got reset, but anything from gamma onward should still exist. If it doesn't, you could try putting in a support ticket with Frontier to see if they can figure out what happened.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Haha, Frontier is really monetizing the hell out of this patch. Tron paint jobs for $3 per color per ship, tattoos, flight suits, nameplates... :homebrew:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Blind Rasputin posted:

Well. Just jumped into a system and landed between two stars that were sandwiched together, practically inside the first star I passed through. Cooked off a third of my hull by the time I was out and spent the next twenty minutes repairing poo poo.

Also learned the hard way you can't afms repair thrusters while in frameshift without dropping out hard lol. Just gently caress.

I thought they'd fixed that a while back, but nice to see people can still have that pants-wetting experience. :)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, post your biggest sun:

I didn't really keep track of all the data when I was exploring, but this was probably the widest:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fojar38 posted:

Wait there's a list of people who have made the trip to Sag A? Where is it? I wonder if I'm on it.

There's a check-in thread on the official forums.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Congratulations on your mention in next week's newsletter.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fojar38 posted:

I don't feel like I was given a free Anaconda for buying the game. Even getting close to Anaconda range required a Sag A* trip with honks at every step.
When I did my trips to the core (ca. Powerplay's release), they earned me a shiny new Python. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

jeff8472 posted:

I'm thinking of getting this game, will it scratch the itch for a modern Tie Fighter/Freelancer game. I found X3 to be a little too technical. How is for a casual gamer not a simulation nerd?

If what you want is strictly just shooting, maybe try House of the Dying Sun.

• Locked thread