Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sard posted:

I doubt it, there's a lot that makes a ship good and one of the maybe overlooked perks of the Cobra is the shape. That thin blade is really good at not getting shot from the front and rear, while from the top and bottom the width makes it short and again more evasive than a typical rectangular hull. It'll still smuggle better.

:captainpop:
That is at 2 pips to engines, I think, as I'm basing this off the shipyard screen. I've fully kitted out the Cutter for now (which gave it 1700 shields loving lol) and it's dropped slightly to 350 max speed. Give me a few minutes to finish fiddling with the Corvette and I'll test it in actual space.

Also, the cockpit of the Cutter is quite different to the Clipper. I'm also a huge fan of the Corvette's cockpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sard posted:

I don't get the point of these on the FGS and Keelback if neither ends up with a significantly better jump range than the small ships they carry- unless we get AI minions, your human player fighter pilot would be better off in a Cobra or something. Maybe they'll be used to deploy bigger tankier vehicles on the surface someday?

Please post the Corvette jump range with and without hull mods and D/A internals, too- I really hope it can hit 15 lightyears at least. I wish the FGS had a bigger FSD :sigh:
It's not looking good. The Corvette's at 14LY without any guns or internals in it, just A rated general mods :sigh:. Cutter's about the same as the other Imp ships, 15-16LY when combat fit.

A Tartan Tory posted:

So, a little birdie told me they are finally releasing ships bigger than the anaconda...with a larger jump range.

Is this true, because this is my dream.
Both the Cutter and Corvette are loving huge and heavy and they both have undersized FSDs for their mass, so no. Corvette has the same size FSD as the Anaconda but is more than twice as heavy. Cutter is one size up but is three times the mass. Anaconda reigns supreme for exploration.

For reference, I'm having trouble even getting the Corvette to 20LY when fit the same as an Explorerconda and the Cutter was only about 25LY.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That's it's more of a trade orientated multirole ship?

Read the ship descriptions:

versus

This is especially obvious when you realise the Cutter has observation decks for passengers all around the top middle part of the hull.

I have to head out for a bit but I'll post some more things about the ships (and some pictures) when I get back.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SquirrelGrip posted:

How deflated are the beta prices vs release? I saw the $20m and got excited for a second
Corvette hull will be 187m and Cutter will be 208m based on the beta server prices.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I feel like the Corvette needs a jump range boost.
It needs a size 7 FSD like the Cutter instead of a size 6 like the Anaconda as the Corvette's base hull mass is literally more than double the Anaconda.

Space Skeleton posted:

How much do you reckon a fully fit cutter will set me back?
For combat? Around 500m if you buy the modules in Sirius space.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Insert name here posted:

Do we know what ranks are going to be required for the Cutter and Corvette? Not looking forward to the rep grind. :(
I'm expecting it to be 3 ranks higher than whatever the Clipper/Dropship are which I guess is Earl for Imperials and whatever the equivalent is for the Federation.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Trip Report: Federal Corvette and Imperial Cutter

Federal Corvette
Hull cost: 187m

Anyone who has flown a Python and used fixed weapons on it will know all the hardpoints are situated so that they basically converge at one point. The Corvette has exactly the same design philosophy but the guns are bigger and more suited to taking on bigger targets. The huge hardpoints are on the top of the hull directly behind the cockpit and the rest are all clustered around the nose as the rest of the underside of the hull is taken up by the cargo scoop and launch bays for the two fighters it's capable of carrying.

The good news is it's nimble. It has some of the best yaw turning on any ship I've flown and it's only marginally less agile than an A-fit Python while being significantly larger, better armoured, better shielded and packing more firepower. It's also got the Python's awesome power reserves making fitting a breeze and leaving it a strong contender for some of Space Khaleesi's magical green shields. It is in every combat aspect a straight upgrade from the Python.

The bad news is that the jump range is loving abysmal when kitted out for combat. It's largely got the same internals as the Anaconda while having an extra 500t base mass on the hull. When kitted out with A-grade fittings and weapons (but basically no internals), I was teetering on the edge of only have a 12.5LY jump range which is just stupid considering the description of the ship mentions they're used for by the Federation for 'long-range patrols'. They've introduced Class 7 FSDs for the Cutter and I'm hopefully they'll be smart enough to upgrade the Corvette's FSD to the same size because otherwise it's going to massively limit its effectiveness which is a shame because it's a pretty amazing ship.

It's pretty great looking, too:

Imperial Cutter
Hull cost: 208m

Do you like flying really fast? Do you like the Imperial Clipper? Would you like the Clipper if it had better hardpoint placement, worse handling, was four times the price and was even better at ramming stuff? The Imperial Cutter is the ship for you. The largest Gutamaya ship we're likely going to see in E:D, the Cutter is a bunch of engines strapped to a giant futuristic white dildo and is shaping up to be the most expensive ship in the game.

As the Cutter features Gutamaya's signature weird as hell thrusters that are super powerful horizontally almost nonexistant vertically, it'll breeze its way into the world championships of ship drifting. The first time I tried to dock it at a station I did my normal FA-off boost backflip to land in front of the mail slot except it kind of kept drifting despite my frantic efforts to correct with upwards thrust I ended up sailing into a player in a Keelback (vaporising it instantly) and was consequently murdered by the station :v:. On the flip side, hoo boy is it fast. With dropping some internals a bit to reduce the hull mass I've managed to get it up to about 360m/s which is just silly when you consider how big it is. It's basically 40% faster than the Anaconda or Corvette when boosting and it's going to be amazing watching goons turn these things into giant kinetic missiles :getin:

The weapon layout is significantly improved over Gutamaya's normal stuff with only two of the hardpoints not clustered around the cockpit and those two are only medium hardpoints anyway so who cares if they don't converge, slap some pulse turrets on them and you're good to go. Thanks to the clustering of 2 of the medium hardpoints along with the huge directly below the cockpit you could conceivably fit three plasma accelerators there if you're feeling saucy and boost in towards your target and use the accelerators to alpha their shields before slamming into it to finish it off. There's also two large hardpoints directly above the cockpit that seem to have excellent coverage of anything above the Cutter. Like the Corvette, it has pretty good convergence if you're using fixed guns in the hardpoints around the cockpit.

The cost of all this awesomeness is quite literally cost. The Cutter is absurdly expensive and thanks to using Class 8 thrusters and having two Class 8 internal slots you're going to be looking at north of 400m even for a bargain basement fitout. The one I've been playing around with on the beta server will cost about 640m on the live servers if I don't buy all the modules with Li Yong-Rui's space :shepicide:

But really, look at the goddamn thing:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

timn posted:

How's the handling on the cutter? If the corvette is similar to a python, and the cutter is worse than both, then I fear it could be obnoxious to muscle around in combat. Otherwise it seems like it ticks all the boxes to be an amazing multirole ship.
It's sort of okay but it drifts a lot (although FA off helps somewhat). It's not like the Clipper where you get it to the magic threshold and it starts handling really well with A thrusters because it's so goddamn heavy that you'll never get to that point even with 8A thrusters. That said, it has good lateral thrusters like all Gutamaya ships do so you can fly it like a helicopter gunship and circle strafe stuff instead.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shine posted:

The Cutter looks like its bridge is right at the front of the ship, versus being kinda in the middle like the Anaconda. Does it feel like you're sitting at the when you're flying it (i.e. no giant visible nose extending out in front of you)? If so then I might make an overkill mining Cutter someday. I made a Minerconda but I didn't like how far away my view was from the asteroid.
Ever flown a Clipper? It's basically the same although the Clipper still has a better canopy.

Kavros posted:

What's the required rank for cutter?

Also if I want the cutter in SC, is that at the $2.500 tier, or the $3.500 tier?
They haven't said anything about that yet.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Paramemetic posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to make a general announcement:

Gutamaya Supremacy, Get hosed Fed Idiots

That is a Cutter with 720 armor, 2272 shields, and a boost speed of 352. It can pop off shield banks like it doesn't care and it can drop the heat sink for 2400 shields.

The Corvette, on the other hand, is sad and weak in every way.

However, it does have 666 base armor, which owns.
I assume this is primarily just so you can ram the everloving poo poo out of stuff? I agree with N4I's assessment that the Cutter looks nice but handles so poorly that it's effectively useless in combat so you're certainly not ever going to be able to turn it enough to keep any of your guns on whatever you're trying to hit, even with gimballed mounts as the Cutter turns slower than a Type-9 does :(.

I don't know if you've actually tried them on the beta yet but they've changed shield cells and with that build all of your shield cells add over 100% heat each use so a single heatsink launcher isn't really enough as you basically need a heatsink launcher per shield cell bank to be able to not fry all your systems and melt your hull if you pop them in rapid succession. They've also added a module boot up time if you've turned them off so unless you keep your shield cell banks online you won't be able to effectively extras in combat since they now have a 20 second startup time before they can be used.

That said, there are positive changes, too. They've massively buffed hull reinforcement packages to the point where you should be jamming them in any available class 5 and under internals that you have nothing in because a couple of 3D hull reinforcements usually gives more armour than military grade composite on most ships. They also added a new type of shield that has less overall capacity but recharges 50% faster which is reaaaaaally good on ships like the FDL that have enough utility mounts to stack a few boosters.

Essentially what they've done (and with those changes they announced today, holy poo poo those are great and they're actually listening) is made it so you need to sacrifice shield boosters for heat sinks if you want to use your cell banks in an effort to stop people from stacking stupid amounts of shield cell banks and whoever has the most shield cells wins. Even with heat sinks, activating a cell bank that pushes you over 100% heat has a really good chance of causing a module malfunction which is the last thing you want in combat. Overall I'm pretty happy with the direction they're going as the extra time that the cells are active and the increased effectiveness of heatsinks ought to promote more interesting gameplay.

Anyway taking all the stuff above into account, I'd probably suggest something more like the following if you were intending on PvPing with that build (which I assume you were since there's no KWS on it):
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutter/08A8A7A7D7A7D6C1r1e1e1c1c1c1c04040404070202024p625n3cf62d2d6l24.Iw18ZZA=.IwBj4yo4CY2MIA==

Dropped it down to a size 6 and 8 cell bank combo, added more heatsinks, added an interdictor, added hull reinforcements, changed medium pulses to turrets (given their placement on the ship it should give you full coverage by 2 of the turrets regardless of where your enemy is) and changed power management so important modules (like your FSD) are online all the time in case you need to disengage from a fight and can't afford to wait for the FSD to turn on and be available. You go down to 'only' 1780 shields but you now have 1500 armour and have all of your important combat systems available at all times including both shield cell banks.

If you were planning on using it in RES, I'd recommend trying out the new shields since they recharge super fast:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutter/08A8A7A7D7A7D6C1r1e1e1c1c1c1c0m04040404040202B7615n3c052d2d6l24.Iw18ZZA=.IwBj4yo4CY2MIA==

Down to 1530 shields but they recharge 50% quicker than normal shields (and boosters/cells are consequently more effective on them which is great if you're not trying to survive an alpha strike). Also added KWS, upgraded size 8 cell bank to 8A, swapped heatsink for a booster. I still wouldn't recommend this because the pitch of the thing is very poor and while your turrets will help a bit you'll have a hell of a time trying to bring the large pulse/cannon to bear on targets (same issue the PvP build will have).

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 17, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Paramemetic posted:

I have not played the beta and mostly made that because I saw that it was up on Coriolis and wanted to see how high the shields could go. It wasn't really a build for anything, which is why it was set up for neither PVP nor PVE. It is looking like this update is good in so many ways that theorycrafting at this point will have to be left to people with the beta access. I don't have it so I have to rely on others. I am hugely excited to see the end of the SCB meta and hull packages becoming a real thing worth having.
Yeah, I do have beta access and was speaking from my own personal experience regarding the Cutter of it being super fast in a straight line but ughhhhh the turning circle and drift is so bad. If there's anything in particular you want me to try out, let me know.

I posted something to this effect earlier but basically I think the Cutter needs its agility upped (especially since in one of Michael Brooks' books it's described as being favoured by the Empire over the Anaconda because it's more agile which it is absolutely not right now), drift reduced and probably its shield strength and top speed reduced slightly to compensate. The hardpoint placement is decent (good coverage in a 360 sphere with medium turrets and great convergence on the large/huge) but the C7 PDS is a bit lacking. I really hope they can fix it because it looks completely awesome and I would love to fly one but, yeah, not in its current state.

In a similar vein, the Corvette needs to have a Class 7 FSD to be competitive because a 12.5LY jump range when the Cutter can do 16 and the Conda 18.5 in the same sort of kit is laughable. That said, it's actually pretty great for combat as it's fairly agile and all but one of the hardpoints is on the top or sides of the hull (although the large point is on the underside of the hull) plus the weapon convergence is absolutely awesome for fixed gun use. It's also a pretty good hull tank and there's a video of a pubbie in the beta with literally no shields and 2700 armour taking on everyone that fought him and murdering all of them. If they introduce C4 beams or pulses in Horizons it's going to be an absolute monster against anything medium and above, especially if they allow you to use the two fighters with AI controlling them.

Overall I'm really optimistic about the SCB/hull changes since it really looks like they're pushing for a single SCB (why they don't limit it to just one module is anyone's guess) and the tweaks to the FDL are going to mean it'll easily be my (and everyone else's, too, probably) favoured PvP ship. The fast recharging shields are just great for fighting NPCs along with the faster recharge on collapsed shields so everyone wins, really.

Still probably going to be using my Anaconda for a while though :sigh:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I've given feedback to that end on the forums, we'll see if anyone listens :shrug:
Thanks, I got yaffled when supporting our wayward space cat so I can't post there any more. I really do think that the Corvette just needs a C7 FSD and it'll be good. It'll increase its jump distance while fully loaded to about 17LY which might be slightly too high but then, as noted, it is described as being used for 'Long Range Patrols'. It's either that or drop the base hull mass by 200t which I don't think they'll do.

e: haha oh man I just realised with a C6 powerplant you're going to be able to do this on the FdL and have enough power for it (although I can't quite squeeze it down under half the optimal mass without downgrading the C4 gun which is kind of the whole point):
http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/05A5A4A4A6A4A3C1r1b1b1b1b0j0204040404B25d326b25.Iw18aQ==.IwBj4zOUg===

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

KakerMix posted:

Tried the Corvette. Fitted it with two huge cannons, fired at an NPC Asp and stripped its shields off in a single volley. Tried the Cutter out, fitted it for speed and hauling. It can chain boost 365 forever and haul 728 cargo. But man its a dog trying to turn it. It looks a lot better than the Clipper as well.

I don't see the issue with the Corvette having a poo poo jump range and it being listed as a long-range support vessel. Have any of you flown an FDL for any length of time? That also has a garbage jump range. The problem with the FDL and going anywhere with it isn't its jump range, it's the tiny tiny TINY fuel tank. You can make two full-range jumps and have to fill up. You spend all your time traveling fuel scooping and having jump anxiety. That's what makes the FDL a lovely traveler. The Corvette on the other hand has a nice fat fuel tank and thus doesn't have that issue. If it's meant to patrol then it's fine, you can't patrol from whichspace. :v:
That being said I am not against making its jump range better, I just want to illustrate it isn't as bad as people make out to be.
I dunno, I just sort of think some of the jump ranges on the fighter/bounty hunter ships are a bit dumb. I personally think that all dedicated fighters/combat ships should have somewhere around a base range of 15LY when fully kitted out with lighter ships having more jump range than heavier and the more specialised scout ships like the DBS/Asp Scout having a longer range of 20-25Ly. I'd kind of like to see dedicated trade ships have around 20LY when unladen and 15LY when laden (basically this is how they are now) with multiroles that can carry reasonable amounts of cargo having a slightly longer range but less cargo capacity to compensate (so ships like the Python and Clipper would have 3-5LY longer range but could only carry 50-75% of the capacity of the trade ships). I'd like to see pure exploration vessels basically as they are with around 30LY base and then more as you downsize equipment although I think both the Asp and DBE could both do with a couple of extra LY when fully stripped down. The Anaconda is an odd duck that I don't really know what to do with but it's the ultimate 'do everything pretty well if you fit it accordingly' ship so I guess that's okay.

Basically I'd like to see
  • more base range on the Corvette, FdL, Viper, and Eagle
  • the Type 7 changed around a bit so it's a medium ship and then hauling rebalanced so the T6 is the best entry level trader, the T7 is the best medium trader and the T9 as the best large trader
  • the exploration vessels rebalanced and the ranges swapped around so the Asp has the highest jump range (where the Anaconda is now), DBE is where the Asp is now and Anaconda where the DBE is now
  • the multiroles to be decent at everything and good at it when specialised but not directly better than the specialised ships at their given function e.g. combat focused ships would have better raw firepower but worse defences/cargo/jump range, traders would have bigger cargo holds but worse jump range/defences/weapons, explorers would have better range but worse heat management/cargo capacity/defences

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

They Type 7 requiring a large pad has always seemed strange to me.
It actually fits on a medium pad but it's too tall to fit in a medium hangar so it needs to use a large pad. :downs: or :frontear:, take your pick.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sard posted:

I don't know why burst lasers aren't more popular. Similar fitting requirements, but as far as I know they do just a smidge less DPS in exchange for much better heat and WEP efficiency and maybe also better penetration?
They're worse damage against hull than the other two. Each of the lasers has a niche though:
  • Pulse Lasers: excellent sustained damage to both shields and hull, poor burst DPS, least power use, low heat generation. Best used on ships like the Vulture that are extremely agile and have no problems staying on target
  • Burst Lasers: balance between burst DPS and sustained DPS, medium heat, high power use, excellent damage to shields but lowest hull damage of the three types. Great for ships that are fairly agile but can't quite stay on target all the time. Pairs exceptionally well with kinetic weapons like cannons
  • Beam Lasers: enormous damage to everything balanced by high power use, high heat generation and rapid capacitor drain. Very effective for ships that fight by jousting. Some ships with huge PDS like the Python can afford to run a single large beam indefinitely effectively allowing them to be used as a high DPS sustained fire weapon

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sard posted:

Huh, good to know. I guess I haven't noticed the hull difference because I usually do run burst lasers alongside kinetics, like my FGS has two medium and two small burst lasers, with a single large and two medium cannons on the ventral mounts. Chews up small ships, and punches through the shields to core out larger ones. Is there a better reference for this information than this topic on the official forums, then? It only lists shield damage and is probably outdated anyway.
At the moment the current thinking for PvP is that shields are the only thing that matter (especially when it's more than 1v1) so that's probably why they only tested those. With 1.5 there are going to be nerfs to Shield Cell Banks, new shields that trade capacity for recharge time and massive buffs to hull reinforcements so this is likely to shift a lot and you'll probably see more concrete numbers about hull damage as people do more testing.

In terms of how we know, it's basically a combination of looking at the in game descriptions/statistics of the various weapons and personally trying out various guns and seeing how they work. Burst lasers are actually reasonable in PvP due to the aforementioned prevalence of shields (since they're really good against shields) but NPC ships tend to have significantly less shields compared to hull than players do so they're less effective there because you spend comparatively more time shooting their hull than shields.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rah! posted:

The Python is a very good shooty ship that you can't go wrong with. The only other no-rank-grind, non-anaconda-sized, shooty big ship is the FDL, which is a lot less versatile than the Python.
The Python is honestly the best well-rounded ship in the game since it's got a huge powerplant/PDS, amazing hardpoints, a ton of internal slots and can land on a medium pad. It's the single best mission running ship if you'll ever need to dock at outposts. Because of how well-rounded it is, it will always be a worthwhile ship and IMO everyone should aim to eventually own one in addition to their other ships.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kavros posted:

:black101: PULSE LASERS :black101:
I think it's because pulse lasers are probably a little too good at doing hull damage combined with their absurdly good capacitor use:damage ratio.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think it's only going to get more pronounced with SCBs making GBS threads out so much heat, Beams are going to be unheard of pretty soon.
Given that hull reinforcements are also going to be more prevalent I'm expecting more use of kinetics, particularly multi-cannons. On a related note, Frontier, please, add C3/4 multi-cannons and C4 pulse/burst/beam lasers as well while you're at it. Please. I need this. They even already have the models (at least for the C4) in the form of the dual autocannons that are used on the stations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Small favors, although I still don't know why they don't just make them unique and increase the ammo size instead of continually trying to turn it into a trap option.
The cynical part of me wonders if the only reason they haven't done so is because they can't work out how to remove the extra modules that players might already have on their ships for when the patch goes live.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

RabidWeasel posted:

People were asking for shields to regenerate faster so that you could stay in CZs and RES for longer, SCBs were the solution they introduced. It wasn't great.
Given they've made it so that collapsed shields recharge in 1/3 of the time they used to and there's shields that regen 50% faster anyway they're almost in the position where they could just remove them from the game again.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

no_recall posted:

The latest changes allowed me to fire off 2x7A SCB's with a single heat sink while firing off my weapons.
So much for fixing the SCB spamming meta :sigh:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

no_recall posted:

In my controlled testing environment, VS another Corvette, diff build. (he used 2x IMP hammers, c3 beam, c1 mc's, c4 cannons, +prism shields)

You can hull tank, I used bi-weave and silent running. Bi- Weave (even with 3 boosters) went down relatively fast. Bi Weave's recharge is extremely quick, had to micro boosters before popping scb and timing heatsinks. So lots of fiddling. I can foresee this as multicrew gameplay. It was quite intense.

Shield tanking is still viable, but a corvette in silent running, he couldn't target me with D sensors until i was 500-800m away. I felt there were many tactical choices opened with the heat from SCB, without heatsinks, your modules will fry, but you can always carry an auto field repair kit (another build option now) and FA OFF/ silent running to repair.

It starting to slowly feel very much like Diablo3.
I think bi-weave is intended more for use against NPCs in PVE or on ships like the FDL that can't fit many SCB's because of their internal layout. Alpha strike damage is still a big thing in PVP so more total shields are always going to be better if you're running with shields as your primary defence.

That's a really good point about silent running and hull tanking builds though, I hadn't thought about that.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Space Skeleton posted:

It's getting megabuffed.

Zorgon Peterson has offered all of its FDL customers a free upgrade kit: slight improvements pitch and roll rates, a larger power plant housing (size 6) and more efficient cooling systems.
Which means that you can just A rate everything and don't have to worry about fitting restrictions when it was one of the hardest to fit ships alongside the Vulture previously. It's still got terrible jump range but given how absurdly good everything else about it is I think that's probably needed to balance it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Danknificent posted:

Thanks, guys - I promise not to buy it before Horizons. But I hope it comes out before the New Year, because I have some time off and that would be a perfect time to grind.

Sounds really good - I just didn't want to take what my lazy Googling got me at face value. I'll definitely jump in on Horizons and see how it fits.

I really appreciate the replies.
Horizons is scheduled to start Beta in the next couple of days and the E:D betas usually run for 2-3 weeks so I'd expect a release just before Christmas at this rate.

Incidentally, the reason everyone's saying 'wait for Horizons' is that Frontier have made a somewhat strange decision that if you pre-order Horizons you get the base game as well but only once Horizons actually launches. If you want to play E:D now and Horizons when it comes out you need to buy the base game now and then Horizons afterwards.

And yeah, thirding the Fuel Rats suggestion if you want to help out other people. They're cool guys.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

RabidWeasel posted:

It's obviously something their bizarro world marketing team came up with, any normal company would have just sold Horizons at a normal expansion amount and made a package with Horizons + the core game for an extra £10. It's basically exactly the same deal but the way they have presented it makes existing players feel like they're getting hosed over horribly.
I'd personally have just done 'if you pre-order Horizons you get the base game included and can play now' and left it so that Horizons was available for the discounted price for anyone that already owned E:D. I think the main problem is that Frontier seems to be hell bent on reinventing the wheel for a lot of this stuff instead of looking at what works well in the rest of the industry.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

KakerMix posted:

I don't get why people always buy into the "well that would gently caress over the people who kickstarted / bought in beta" because it doesn't make sense. Locking out new customers from playing now because people who bought it earlier might be upset, so loving what. It doesn't affect me if some person buys the game now and plays it now even if they payed less, I have been playing it the whole time they haven't, that's where the value is. This is going to be true post Horizons so why lock people out right now?
I can only assume it's a mix of marketing and cocaine. Guild Wars 2 has just recently done exactly what we're talking about where anyone who pre-ordered the expansion got the base game included immediately and the playerbase collectively had an aneurysm and devolved into fits of vitriolic rage about how they were veterans and deserved compensation. The devs responded by making the base game free to play just to rub salt into the wound :haw:

But yeah, there's literally no reason not to give anyone who pre-orders a copy of the game now. People who already own the game have theoretically already been playing it and have something of a leg up anyway so who gives a poo poo if someone brand new starts. More players is good for the overall health of the game.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Danknificent posted:

Ohhhh. I don't feel a pressing need to be in on the beta, but I may as well get the best possible deal. I'll look at a pre-order. Does anyone know if they're going to offer the pre-order on Steam? If so, should I wait for the inevitable Thanksgiving Steam Sale to try to possibly weasel 10% off? Or should I just order from Frontier?

Shoutouts to everyone recommending this fuel rat thing - that's definitely the type of space social work I'm into. I'm also hoping that over time more stuff will be added so that there's more that you can do for other people than just give them fuel.
The game does go on sale on steam from time to time (and they mirror the sale on their official store) but it took around 3 months after launch for the first sales to pop up so I wouldn't hold your breath on one immediately. If you do order it from the Frontier store you can go into your account settings and get it to generate you a steam code for the game in any event.

And regarding Fuel Rats, if anything there'll be more need for them going forward because it's going to be possible for the SRV (moon buggies) to run out of fuel. We're unsure if it'll automatically return you to your ship at this stage but if it doesn't then you may get people asking for people to fly down onto a moon or asteroid and refuel the SRV (if you even can using the fuel transfer limpets, we're not sure yet).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Danknificent posted:

Sounds good. I'll wait a couple days just in case for the Thanksgiving sale (should be this week), then I'll pull the trigger regardless. The price isn't really an issue.

I've been really immersed in the Star Citizen drama, and exposed to a lot of really fantastic space media from that game, and I was already an SF guy, so I just - I gotta do it. And I recently gave up League of Legends, so maybe I can fill that void.

I hope there's tons of customization for the SRVs, and different models of them. I want a space Volvo S80.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll get what you want out of it. As people have said before the game is 'a mile wide and an inch deep' but they are getting better at fleshing out stuff and the combat in particular is great. The moon buggies look like they'll be awesome too and there's only going to be one type initially (called the Scarab) but there are plans for more later on.

When you do start playing make sure you join us on IRC because we're making our own fun as a group in this sandbox.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Danknificent posted:

I've been reading the wiki for like the past half hour. All I've heard over the past few weeks of following the SC stuff is "E:D is good, but it has no content."

But it looks like a lot of stuff to me.
It's not that the game has no content, it's more that it has no overarching structured content such as a main story so there's lots of stuff to do but it's a sandbox so although you do stuff it doesn't really have much of an effect in the game world, if that makes sense.

The missions in the game are the equivalent of the 'fetch me 10 bear butts' or 'kill 20 dudes' sidequests you'd expect to see in an MMO but they don't really tie in to anything for the most part. There is an overarching story that's part of the meta-game regarding the various factions but it's really there more as a backdrop for the setting rather than the focus of it. That said, they do have 'community goals' which players take part in which often contribute towards the evolution of the in game universe such as 'haul metal to this system so we can build a new station further out in the Pleiades cluster' which the players successfully completed and now there's an under construction station out in Maia (which is a system quite a way out of the 'bubble' of inhabited space that also has a nifty black hole in it).

We have our own little NPC faction which was added last patch called the Diamond Frogs which we're trying to expand around to other systems using the in-game NPC faction influence system (which you might've seen referred to as the BGS or background simulation) and so lots of people are involved with that and doing all sorts of stuff with them because it gives us a common goal. At the end of the day though they're just an NPC faction full of bloodthirsty assholes who will sit there and not really interact with anything if we don't do things for them so because this is a sandbox we're kind of having to make our own game content.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Professor Bling posted:

All that money and yet a simple Railgun Viper is the most fun I've had in this game
Yeah, I'm at about 600m in assets now and have a whole bunch of different ships and my Imperial Eagle is still one of the most fun things to fly around in.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I'm not surprised given what they posted a couple days ago. I think they pushed the 1.5 live on a Friday so I expect them to do the same thing here since it gives time for the servers to stabilise after the Thursday maintenance/powerplay calculation tick.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Danknificent posted:

That's a kick in the nuts.
No? It's a beta, if it needs to be delayed because there are glaring problems then it's better they delay it and fix stuff before releasing it so that people aren't providing feedback on stuff they actively know is broken.

I realise you're very excited about spacegame following the recent shenanigans with SC but given your account is only 4 days old and you already have the better part of a page of posts in this thread you may want to just chill out a little bit and relax. Elite's development happens at the pace of the Devs, so just go with the flow :)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Wow i haven't thought about dahan gateway in a while, lmao
I think the best thing about Dahan was where they'd get it working and then the next patch they'd manage to inexplicably break it again. Didn't it even move to another system at some point and it was still broken?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Morter posted:

Is this game at all comparable to Freelancer or contain the gameplay loop of shooting dudes/mining/getting jobs to get money to get a better ship?
It is almost exactly like the core gameplay ideas of Freelancer's multiplayer if you ever played that (which was in turn basically built on some of the ideas from the original space sims like Frontier: Elite). There's also space trucking huge quantities of stuff from one system to another to get paid. The flight model is more flight sim than Freelancer's, though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Those black skins look very nice. Especially on ships like the Anaconda where they have the white edges to make the contrast pop.

Note that anyone who has already preordered or has a lifetime expansion pass will automatically get the black skins as well.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Offer finishes on Dec 1st apparently so you still have time to decide if you're on the fence.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I still a vibrant paint pack for my Anaconda. Also blue Class 4 Beam Lasers. I just want to fly an Ion Cannon frigate :saddowns:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rah! posted:

Hell yeah. Though if they come out with huge blue-colored beam lasers, then that would make an anaconda more of an ion frigate combined with an assault frigate, for frigate perfection :spergin:. I hope my Homeworld roleplaying fanfiction dreams come true :negative:
Yah. That said I kind of want to also see the sort of striped ship patterns Chris Foss draws (which they might be able to make work with those new synth designs):

Dabir posted:

I think you mean red.

(apparently crafting's coming with Horizons and this may involve laser colour changing)
They've said they're going to let you change your lasers to green with the crafting system but I want blue lasers like the Imperials have.

And yeah re: Homeworld I know you could get some ships with red/orange ion cannons but I was referring to the iconic Homeworld yellow/red paint ones with the blue beams (which I think are Taiidan rather than Hiigaran):

If they add the military paint packs for the Anaconda you'll be able to use the blue coloured paint job to make it look like the HW2 style ion frigates:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tooterfish posted:

Those are some scrub tier ion frigates... :colbert:

Kadesh builds them right!
I don't see any neat colours or stripes on that :colbert:. Perhaps it is your multi-beam frigate that is scrub tier?

• Locked thread