Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Orv posted:

It's such a little thing, but are there any combat ships with similar reverse thruster placement as the Type 6? Seeing the exhaust as you slow down in that is cool.
This is from a couple of pages back but the new Type-10 Defender has 4 gigantic reverse thrusters on the front and 4 sets of 2 forward thrusters on the back. Who cares about function, just shove more thrusters in it :goshawk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gort posted:

You could make the "realism" argument vanish if you wanted to. "Oh, the interdictor module has tech that compensates for that" is pretty easy to come up with.

It just seems weird to be punished for perfect play in this one situation only. Like, we don't have mining lasers that get damaged whenever you shoot a rock. Your shield generator doesn't degrade when the shield blocks a shot. Your scanner doesn't fall apart when you scan a star.
It’s because lore-wise the interdictor works by tethering your FSD to your target’s and then crashing them both simultaneously. As was mentioned previously, if you drop from supercruise at high speed you always take damage due to the Alcubierre bubble around your ship instantly collapsing. Combining the two means that you successfully crash both FSDs to return you to real space but also collapse the FSD bubble so both ships take damage.

This is the theoretical physics the Frameshift Drive operates under in case you want to read up more on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gonkish posted:

I just really feel out of sorts. I might retire the conda and go back to a FDL or Vulture.
I think the normal build I use for the really hard combat stuff will work without engineering, it's just more effective with it: https://eddp.co/u/CohQDNKK. It's a chainsaw multicannon fiesta, just fire the huge beam laser at whatever you're aiming at until it doesn't have shields any more and open up with the multicannons. Let your AI pilot fly a plasma repeater taipan and chew through everything.

Small hardpoints can be whatever, I normally use long range shieldbreaker rails but that's engineering and also power hungry so don't worry about that for now. There's also a trick you can do with the shield cells where you fire a cell, wait until your heat gets to 100, fire a heatsink, wait for it to go back down a bit and fire a second shield cell. Lets you use 12 shield cells with only 6 heat sinks without burning your ship up.

• Locked thread