Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The first half of Penguin Drum is spectacular, the second half becomes so abstract it's hard to feel strongly about it either way. Some day I'll rewatch it with foreknowledge of where it's going and try to work out what it says in more detail than "love expresses itself through sacrifice, also abusive parents suck" but I keep hoping it's going to get a movie or something to cap it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Can anyone suggest some shows with really dense, interconnected character relationships and motivations that I might have overlooked when I was younger (and dumber) because they were too girly?

Basically what's the shoujo / josei equivalent of Evangelion?

I've seen Utena, I love it, it's a good starting point but go even further than that.

e: trashiness is no object either, and may even be preferable

e2: i am also already watching Chihayafuru

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 11, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Check out Oniisama E, it was a big inspiration for both Eva and Utena both in terms of content and stylistically. There are whole shots in Eva that are cribbed from it

I was imagining a show when I asked that question and the only way this show appears to differ from what I was imagining is that, as of yet, the Magnificent Three haven't been revealed to secretly be ghosts or something. Thank you.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

When shoujo and Eva are brought up in the same sentence, I naturally think of His and Her Circumstances/Kare Kano.

I hear Kare Kano kind of falls apart at the end, is that true?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish to hear about a good anime that's a period piece that's not set in Japan, with minimal or no supernatural elements.

Rose of Versailles, maybe?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FMA:B is literally "two kids make friends and succesfully beat up fascism, save their country." It's hard to imagine a more upbeat story about the same subject matter.

Obviously you could just not tell a story about genocide and human experimentation in the first place, but that's dumb and needlessly limiting. If "grimdark" as a pejorative has any value at all, that's not it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Based on your liked list, watch:
- Revolutionary Girl Utena,
- the weirder / lesser known Ghibli movies that you haven't got around to yet (I saw Kiki's Delivery Service for the first time a month or two back, it was good)
- The Woman Named Fujiko Mine (you like a couple of Mari Okada shows and it's probably her best)
- literally anything by Masaaki Yuasa because everyone should do that and you seem to have the requisite tolerance for "weird" animation.
- Kyousougiga is a recommendation that i will second

Based on a combination of what you liked and what you thought was okay, watch:
- Steins;Gate; it's a little bit like Welcome to the NHK except not as brutally unforgiving to its protagonist and his sci-fi conspiracy theories are real

Based on your "I'm embarassed to like this" list, watch Mirai Nikki. Imagine something as trashy as Elfen Lied or GANTZ except written by someone who a) isn't a complete shithead and b) knows how plot structure works. it takes that trash to wonderful, hilarious places

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 19, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Allarion posted:

He put Steins;gate in his don't like list. :ssh:

Hard to pin Jagex's interests down due to that.

woops

And yeah, I can kind of see that. If you watch Welcome to the NHK it's pretty easy to look at Steins;Gate and conclude "okay this is just pulling its punches."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hi, I've been meaning to get around to watching FMA:B for literal years. What does it do differently from the original (besides "it follows the Manga all the way through", obviously) to make it worth watching? Or skipping, as the case may be?

It's a good show about war and politics with mysticism as flavor instead of a bad show about mysticism with war and politics as flavor.

Also, Greed doesn't go out like a chump.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Check out Barakamon, it's about a young (think recent college graduate) calligrapher with a temper who moves to the countryside to get away from it all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Moyashimon is good overall but the three(?)-episode long let's buy mind control drugs from our professor and use them to turn our classmates into sex slaves! arc makes an otherwise sympathetic protagonist look like both a complete imbecile (for believing it could work) and a massive creep.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fsmhunk posted:

What is a good anime for a kaiju fan to watch?

How new are you to the medium? People probably aren't telling you to watch Evangelion because it's too obvious.

Watch Evangelion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fsmhunk posted:

What did I just watch? Am I even real?

The magnum opus of the guy who is also directing the next Godzilla movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: Between what you've seen and what's already been recommended basically all my bases are covered.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

:yeah:

but the guy's already seen it

Yeah I know, s'why I ninja edited. I'm trying to think of other shows along that line that people haven't already suggested.

I mean Hare Noche Guu is really good but it's not quite the same vibe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for things like Kikis Delivery Service. The mundane mixed with the mystic. The slice of life nature of it. Ideally something you could describe as heartwarming. I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli and any I haven't are already on the list. Thanks!

Once you finish Flying Witch you might try Natsume Yuujinchou. It's a little bit more conflict-driven than some of these suggestions but still very pleasant and soothing overall.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ulio posted:

Can anyone recommend any good anime based on western media? Like the halo anime or xmen anime. Is there any other or any of them good?

If I stretch this question almost to the point of snapping I would cite Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt as "what if Drawn Together were good, and funny, and somewhat more intelligent, and about anime instead of Western animation?"

Otherwise I'd just second Gankutsuou.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's definitely a tier of show that only comes along a couple times of year if that -- stuff like Masaaki Yuasa's output, or Katanagatari, or Kyousogiga, etc; stuff that you can recommend without reservation about either content, theme, or technical competence. Personally I'm not quite so strict as to call that "the only good anime" but it's a reasonable position to take, and in particular, it's a good springboard for recommendations.

It's good to be critical.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

And similarly, there's rejecting the GBS attitude, and then there's eating garbage and constantly telling each other how delicious garbage tastes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Which in fairness is a criticism you could just as easily level at me because I'll go to bat hard for Mirai Nikki, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, and Psycho-Pass. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

I don't think it's fair to dismiss someone's sincere enjoyment of a series as enjoying garbage.

Someone's sincere enjoyment of a series is pretty secondary, honestly. If I think a show is terrible I'm not going to hold back.

Although, with anime, the worst is the stuff that's utterly boring and conventional, not so much the stuff that shocks English-speaking sensibilities or whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is genuinely good though.

I don't disagree, but I also think this of the other two shows I mentioned.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes, but you can make actual arguments for psg being a genuinely good show which might be a good bit harder for Mirai Nikki or psychopass

Well, for me it's actually a little harder to make the arguments for PSG being a genuinely good show, because it's so self-consciously trying to emulate Western animation that my first instinct is to read it that way, which leads to all kinds of super-iffy stuff about feminist readings, when the much more sensible way to approach it is in the context of Imaishi's career -- that is, it's about liberation broadly, which overlaps but isn't the same.

Mirai Nikki is easy by comparison: it's a deceptively well-plotted show that takes the idea that Love Conquers All and just runs with it.

My original point, though, was that the "difficulty" you're talking about is consensus-based, and that depends on context. The tonal clash of camp and ultraviolence, or unrelenting crudity, or awkward teenage sexuality are all going to make different people uncomfortable or bewildered for different reasons. Part of good criticism, though, is being brave enough to recognize subjectivity without giving it undue deference against your own taste and convictions.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 19, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So when Pavlov says "it's a good show if you can get past that it's about sports" I'm like, yeah it's stupid to dismiss a great show because you're a nerd and didn't do sports in high school and don't care, but I think he knows that too and that's why he's saying it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

I'm looking for an anime with a great main character duo. The characters are cool on their own but the show gets really good whenever they're on screen interacting with each other. Some examples would be sousuke & chidori, isaac & miria, kurisu & okabe, and gon & killua. Basically, two characters with an interesting relationship that's fun to watch.

The Big O, Kekkaishi, plus there are like half a dozen romcoms that probably fit these criteria since that's basically how they work.

e: oh and Mirai Nikki, especially the mock wedding episode

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kly posted:

hi i dont really watch or like much anime but i liked the movie Spirited Away because off all the crazy monsters/demons/spirits hangin out acting kinda normal and human. other things that are kind of like that that i liked are when Goku died and went to hell then had to run across a long path to get back to life, a nintendo DS game called shin megami tensei: strange journey where some times demons were friendly and you could talk them out of fighting or into joining you and the game Disgaea where everyone is in a netherworld and are evil demons but still go about their normal day-to-day demon stuff. are there any movies or shows that are kind of like this? like a "lots of different monsters being weird but still acting kind of human" genre?

These aren't necessarily similar in tone, but you might enjoy:

Anime or manga:
Natsume Yuujinchou (human kid makes friends with monsters and solves their problems; it's quiet, calm, generally low-stakes)
Dororon! Enma-kun (kind of like Disgaea with filthy humor, it's very funny but crosses some lines here and there)
Ushio and Tora (basically Calvin & Hobbes: Demon Hunters. it's early 90s as gently caress, probably bears some resemblance to the stuff you liked in DBZ)

Manga only:
HELCK (action comedy with the premise of being a JRPG from the perspective of the monsters)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Has some pretty abhorrent views on mental illness and depression, yo.

Can you elaborate?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

for like five minutes of the final episode maybe, which isn't worth wasting a couple hours of your life on the rest of the show

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

please watch birdy, the best character-driven action sci-fi anime of the late 2000s

I started watching it and it's real good.

For years every time I heard the name "Birdy the Mighty" I figured it was some Fist of the North Star knockoff about an ugly brawler, probably by association with this dude:

needless to say, it is not that

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kuno posted:

So, what shows should I watch to justify the subscription? I would like things with a generally upbeat tone (doesn't have to be looney tunes 24/7 but I'm not really in the mood for depressing poo poo atm.) With some sort of fantastical setting, be that fantasy, sci-fi or real world with a twist. Preferably with some level of action/adventure, I'm not so much interested in watching a show about the mundane life of Japanese schoolkids unless the schoolkids also have punch-ghosts.

HxH isn't Jojo's and is more overtly "anime" in some respects but it's a good followup if you enjoy the combination of good character writing and fights based on elaborate logic. There are four protagonists who range from 13-year-old kids to adults, the main two are the kids but it sets aside time for each of them. It's set in a sort of vaguely-defined fantastic setting that's kinda modern in some respects and less so in others.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is about a young man who enlists in the military in the hope that they'll help him and his brother recover from a horrifying supernatural accident they caused when they were kids, which cost him two of his limbs and his brother's entire body. It has a really optimistic and positive attitude about bleak subject matter, sort of a "look at this poo poo we just overcame by clinging to human decency" deal.

If you want to lean more into the comedy stuff maybe check out One-Punch Man or Mob Psycho 100.

Nate RFB posted:

Some of those might not be available in a given region, I didn't check. I think in particular you should give FMA, Durarara!!, Re:Zero, and Bodacious Space Pirates a look.

I can't speak to Bodacious Space Pirates but the rest of this shortlist is good.

*monogatari will probably scare you off anime forever, Gunbuster 2 should be watched alongside the original even though it's a new story with new characters (if you like Jojo's you can handle the 80s-ness, trust me) and while I don't personally like Gurren Lagann you might.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 26, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Attack on Titan's all right but it's pretty much all betrayal and rage and Mikasa's abs and Armin whining a lot. It's not exactly upbeat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A Monstrous Crow posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Blue Exorcist, D.Grayman and Magi are all based on manga written by women, but I'm not familiar enough with them to say how they handle things.

FMA owns on that front, it's got women who are heroes, villains, experts, teachers, warriors, it's never sexist or condescending and doesn't fall into a lot of the common pitfalls of dumb shonen humor.

D. Gray Man does well enough. It's got some jokes about how the commander is overprotective of his sister and kind of plays it off like he's being harmlessly silly even when he's being a huge creep, but that's pretty minor in the greater scheme of things.

I haven't watched or read the others.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Squinty posted:

So, Trump is about to crown himself king of the world and I'm feeling a bit numb. My plan is to shut down for the weekend with some good, cathartic animes. Something kind of melodramatic but with a good happy-cry at the end, sort of along the lines of AnoHana except maybe a bit happier. Ideas?

Have you watched Revolutionary Girl Utena?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Squinty posted:

I tried it a long time ago, but found it a bit too abstract to be really engaging personally.

Coupled with the movie (which isn't strictly the same continuity but picks up thematically and emotionally where the show leaves off) it's the most cathartic anime I know. On the other hand, for me the abstract stuff is a plus.

For something more concrete... Maybe Toradora (romance), or Amagi Brilliant Park (mostly comedy, little bit of romance)? Do you want something in the same genre as Ano Hana or just something with a powerful emotional release and a hard-earned happy ending?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mentat Radnor posted:

Kyousougiga is my rec. It might not seem like it fits your description at first glance, but it's only 10 episodes long and it certainly made me feel some feelings.

yes do this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any good anime about mass exoduses? Think Battlestar Galactica (either one), Knights of Sidonia, Book of the Long Sun, anything like that. Doesn't have to be science fiction although that's my first preference.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I haven't, and I kinda figured I was missing something obvious like that. Thanks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shageletic posted:

The title song coming in way too early before anything interesting happened in the plot

This is a weird one, but then again I'll give extra points to a show that puts the OP immediately at the start so I can skip it so I shouldn't talk.

Shageletic posted:

Crazy faces due to being embarrased

this, on the other hand: what the gently caress?

this is like the best thing anime ever did for the world

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pavlov posted:

A-plot is about the people in the town, and the creepy cultish society they live in. The MC spends a bunch of time leaning about and struggling with its brainwashing and murder-cats and the like. She even gets set up to be a leader, and seems willing to make reforms, and then... we time skip, forget about all that, and focus on the mole rat B-plot. It's like the MC had a 'learn to love big brother' moment, but off screen, and it never gets mentioned. I think the epilogue even has her raising the murder-cats, something she seemed personally against before.

socialsecurity posted:

It gets resolved, they learn to accept the dangers of fiends and the steps taken to stop them. The last scene is her finishing the book she had been narrating through the entire series and talking to Satoru about how they hope it will change people's minds. Basically once they see why people are scared of fiends they slow their roll a bit.

It's neither of these things, exactly; she doesn't "accept" her society, she's just powerless to change it on that kind of scale. Hence her mercy-killing Squealer in secrecy. It's the best she can do for him.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 24, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

another was directed by the same guy as mayoiga, who's directed tons of comedy shows in general, so that's probably why it is the way it is

Mayoiga is better than Another, mostly on account of it has slightly more audacity w/r/t doing amazing, stupid things, but both of them feel like half-assed attempts at the tone that reaches its apotheosis in Mirai Nikki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

After a while it stops escalating and starts drawing things to a close which is the worst thing they could have done under the circumstances.