Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I also wouldn't mind something more cerebral, I dug Steins;Gate and my friend recommended to me this other series about like a society that placed its citizens in work roles based on a predictive aptitude model or something? His description made me think of Minority Report, but I can't remember the title.

You're probably thinking of Psycho Pass. In addition to people's careers being determined by their aptitudes, the whole nation is also under surveillance by an omnipresent A.I. system that can measure one's potential to commit crime. The protagonists are a team of enforcement agents who hunt down these "latent criminals".

It's mostly a procedural cop show with the setting as given. Production quality was high, and the characters were well written. The first season was well received, but the second season's new story arc fell flat for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

MSPaintClock posted:

I finally watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes, it really was amazing.
But where do I go from here?

I recommend Paranoia Agent. It's a great story with a large cast whose lives all intertwine, and the direction and animation are fantastic.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

For me it's about what quality and style you're used to. For me, even early 2000's stuff was pretty trying because the style felt conspicuously weird and the overall animation quality is very different because analog was still the way to go back then. I don't think it was until IG pulled off Stand Alone Complex that things really started changing, though if I'm wrong on that please correct me. At the very least it was around that time.

Early 2000s anime is kind of an odd duck. You have to take into account external circumstances to get the full picture. Animation has always been a tedious and expensive process. Back in the 80s and 90s, the Japanese economy was riding the bubble, and luxury expenditures like anime were having money thrown at them hand over fist. It was more common for a TV series to run 50+ episodes, or for an OVA to have a budget that translated directly into higher quality.

Then, in the late 90s, the bubble burst, and there's this brief period where anime budgets are slashed to the bone and the quality reflects it. Within a few years, studios begin to adapt, and they start to rely on newer tools like CGI and digital inbetweening. While they can't get the budgets they used to, they became able to do more with the budgets they were getting.

Age by itself has very little to do with the quality of a work. Disney's Fantasia or the Fleischer Studios' Superman cartoons are about as good as animation ever gets, and both of those are over 70 years old at this point.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Yeah, this. I mean, most of the other recommendations have their sad bits, but nothing else I've seen has had such an all-encompassing, pervasive air of misery and sadness. In all seriousness, make sure you're approaching this from a healthy place because Saikano will put you through a wringer.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I blazed through all of what's out of Grimgar last night because I really like it. What are some other good action slice of life type animes?

Seirei no Moribito: Guardians of the Sacred Spirit

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Davincie posted:

i want to watch a high energy action series that isn't a shonen that takes forever

R.O.D. OVA

3 episodes

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mederlock posted:

As for anime recommendations for myself, I'm looking for some new shows, but don't really know what I'm looking for. Stuff that's a bit more realistic/dark/serious tends to draw me more, but I love some good comedy as well. Wouldn't mind any good recommendations in a fantasy setting.

It's a bit older than most of the things you listed, but Record of Lodoss War is one of the classics of fantasy anime. There was an OVA and a followup TV series produced. In addition, there is a comedy series called Louie the Rune Soldier set in the same world that is worth a watch.

You'd probably also like the Crest/Banner of the Stars series. Crest starts out fairly small-scale and focuses mostly on the two lead characters, but Banner and the other subsequent series are full-on space operas with warring star empires and massive fleet battles.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 29, 2016

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Why is that not already on at least one of your lists?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Im in the mood for something with a good industrial or metal soundtrack. The show itself doesnt need to be mind blowingly good or anything, just acceptable is fine as long as the music is great.

I'm sure people will debate until the cows come home exactly what qualifies as "metal", but if you're willing to accept the most guitar-driven soundtrack of all anime, then Geneshaft is your thing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

galenanorth posted:

The last animes I watched were

Sailor Moon
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Inuyasha
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Trigun
Spice and Wolf
Code Geass
My Hero Academia

I'm interested in anything fantasy/sci-fi. I also like it when fantasy/sci-fi shows have an A/B structure where the A story is slice-of-life, like Sailor Moon

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Same writer/director as GitS:SAC, and most of the series focuses on the daily life of a mercenary and the young prince she has sworn to protect.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SM64Guy posted:

Ohhh Ruin Explorers sounds like what I'm looking for. Also I forgot about Dragon Half which I'd been meaning to watch. Never watched Tenchi Muyo or Chaika either so I might check them out.

Watch Louie the Rune Soldier.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Meldonox posted:

Any ideas where I should start?

Have you seen Psycho-Pass? Tiger and Bunny might work, also.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You're Under Arrest.

Does no one watch the classics anymore?

e: Also, Mad Bull 34

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

They don't really do detective work in Mad Bull, they just sort of wander around fighting criminals until they find the head ones

Yeah, that's exactly what he was asking for, the authentic police experience.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Turn A Gundam is a different take on post-apocalyptic, and also has a Kanno soundtrack.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

khy posted:

I'm in the mood for something really lovely : A sci-fi/mecha harem show that focuses more on comedy than the mecha fights.

IE : Something akin to Vandread or Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure.

I have watched Martian Successor Nadesico. It was OK. What else is in this admittedly small niche of shows?

Saber Marionette J

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ulio posted:

Any good animes with great villains? Like Johan Liebert from Monster, Griffith from Berserk.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

also TBH If you want to experience Fate I'd say just read the original VN.

The guy said he wanted cool anime fights, not wordy slideshows.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Hey, I need something like Black Lagoon, but I think I've tapped every other alternative I can think of out (Hellsing Ultimate OVA's, Drifters, Jormungand, Future Diary). Can you recommend something like Black Lagoon (crazy, violent fun would be my three key words)?

Have you seen Heat Guy J?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wark Say posted:

No. Does it have that vibe that makes you say "nice!" like a late 90's dude?

I don't know. Why don't you judge for yourself by watching the intro of one of the supporting characters?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Saint Young Men :haw:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Berserk has a lot less rape, but not no rape. It's pretty good otherwise, though.

I'm a little disturbed by how similar this post is to one that I was going to make.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Pondex posted:

I'm looking for really good gunfights: the anime. Something like Heat/Ronin/John Wick/100 bullets.

Cowboy Bebop episode 5: Ballad of Fallen Angels is the best and most correct answer you will find.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

noir has the best gunfights of the girls with guns trilogy but is probably the least 'good' of the three. el cazador is the best of the three but has the worst gunfights.

Noir has loving awful gunfights. Saying it is the best of the trilogy is literally damning with faint praise.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

To whoever said to watch Hunter x Hunter, thank you. A bit of an up and down series but the highs more than made up for the lows. Like Gon absolutely destroying Pitou. :stonk:

So I think I want to change things up a bit. Whats a good happy show that is focused more on adults instead of kids/teenagers.

Servant x Service

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

content posted:

Some good romance manga? I know it’s vague, just want some warm and fuzzies.

Otoyomegatari is a series of wonderful romances cleverly disguised as a historical drama.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The actual answer is Chrono Crusade.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Brain Powered any good?

It has an amazing Yoko Kanno soundtrack. Other than that, not at all.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Chii's Sweet Home is about as cat as you can get.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rianlee posted:

This second request feels impossible; a friend likes anime like Bubblegum Crisis, Witch Hunter Robin, Sol-Bianca, and the two Ghost in the Shell series. So strong women protagonists in a sci-fi setting. Anything within the last 15 years that again doesn't have underage characters and excessive fanservice?

Appleseed is a thing.

If they're not stuck on sci-fi, Moribito has a great strong female protagonist.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 25, 2019

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No translations, but this is what you're looking for.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=141263

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can I get a manga recommendation for something like Grand Blue Dreaming. I’m looking for the fun, romcom / Love Hina vibe, but nothing super raunchy (like Prison School, which was apparently recommended by MAL what the gently caress). Preferably newer art style but whatever.

Try Detroit Metal City. It's much closer to Grand Blue than Love Hina, though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Most sports shows I’ve seen are like this, outside the ones which are just crazy superpowers disguised as sports

Every shonen series I've ever seen has that one guy whose job is to narrate exactly what the main characters are doing and explain why it's so badass.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Maybe try out Kakukaku Shikajika? There may be a slice-of-life tag on it, but it's really more of an autobiographical drama. Only 34 chapters and it's one of my favorites. Seven Seas is putting out an official English release, but there's only 1 volume out so far so check out the fan translation on mangadex in the meantime (although I have no idea if that works on a kindle or not, sorry).

I'll second this. It's very good and very real.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm really into stories where the protagonist(s) are not that good at what they do and screw up a lot, and have to learn from their mistakes to mature and figure out ways to outsmart their obstacles instead of getting a cheapo power up or whatever. Re:Zero season 1 was a perfect scratch for that itch really, but that whole genre seems to be just chock full of straight up power fantasies otherwise so I'm open for suggestions from any genre.

Little Witch Academia

Meme Emulator posted:

Speaking of power fantasies, are there any isekai where the power fantasy is a little more... ambitious I guess would be the word? Everyone gets a cheat power and then just uses it to free a few slaves (or make a few slaves) and fight back against someone who badmouths them or something. Is there anything about a guy who seizes power and remakes the nation

Log Horizon

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

CornbeefAndCabbage posted:

I think my favorite anime I've ever watched is The Promised Neverland because of how well paced it was. It never felt like it slogged or lagged at any point and it had a very open ended yet satisfying conclusion to season 1. I'm looking for something that also tells a tight, well paced story (preferably psychological thriller/mystery/sci-fi/fantasy in that order, no mechs please) episode number doesn't really matter to me as long as it keeps the pacing consistent throughout.

Monster

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nondevor posted:

Any good recommendations for edutainment shows? Or anything that focuses on a relatively niche topic and lets you learn a lot of technical details about the subject, really.

How about Nodame Cantabile for its look at the professional music world?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

So I gave my copy of Spirit Circle to someone to read and they loved it and now want more recommendations.

Do you have any specifics as to why they loved Spirit Circle and why they didn't like the other things they watched?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The Voynich Hotel and other manga by Dowman Sayman, like Nickelodeon and Melancholia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Monster would probably be a great read for you, if you've not read that yet. I've not watched the anime version but I'm sure it's quite good too. One of my favorite psychological thrillers out there. Also it has anime Wilford Brimley in it.

The anime is a very faithful adaptation of the manga, which is to say it's very good.