Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any recommendations for Super Robot shows? I've watched, and liked, Gurren Lagann, G-Gundam, Gunbuster, and Diebuster. I've tried Shin Mazinger and GaoGaiGar, but couldn't really get into either.

I am going to second Giant Robo, it seems like a good fit to the shows you liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If the Getter manga saga seems intimidating, you could start with the four episode anime Neo Getter Robo vs Shin Getter Robo. It features all the major characters in the franchise making it a good place to start, and also features the cowboy robot Texas Mack.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

a kitten posted:

Then after that watch Dororon Enma-kun MeeraMera

That's mean.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

1) is there anything as fabulous and manly as Jojos

2) is there anything as feel good as Ore Monogatari without it being like literally nothing happening

3) I wanna watch those weird 90s ovas/ movies that freaked me out as a child with 0 context where do I start

1) Saint Seiya is a fighting anime so fabulous that they bleed neon, and it's so manly that someone gets punched back to life in an early episode, and that's low on the list of wild stuff that happens.

3) Start with the film Neo Tokyo, and follow it up with the entire filmography of Yoshiaki Kawajiri up to 2001.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Parallax posted:

Are there any good horror anime movies? I know of a handful of shows, but is there anything worth watching in the movie-realm? Short OVAs would work, too. I'm just looking for stuff to watch around Halloween.

Here's a list I worked with last year, although "good" is extremely subjective here:
Devilman (Parts 1+2)
Vampire Wars
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned
Baoh
Psychic Wars

There's probably more, but I can't remember right now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I feel like I've watched too many talky shows recently.

So please recommend me animes with ridiculously awesome guns and ridiculously awesome shooting of ridiculously awesome guns

None of that mecha stuff. I want hard-boiled shooting mans with ridiculous outfits. I watched Hellsing and that fulfilled all criteria, as well as having a surprisingly tidy and satisfying ending. It is what I shall measure all shooty animes by in the future.

Give me violence

Gunsmith Cats OVA

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

mind game, gauche the cellist, genius party & genius party beyond, angels egg, urusei yatsura: only you & urusei yatsura beautiful dreamer, royal space force: the wings of honneamise, macross: do you remember love?, bonjour galaxy express 999 & adieu galaxy express 999, the sky crawlers, neon genesis evangelion: the end of evangelion, rebuild of evangelion, patlabor 1 & patlabor 2, adolescence of utena, puella magi madoka magica the movie 3: rebellion, the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya

All of these, plus Memories and Neo Tokyo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I logged onto my computer for the sole purpose of posting that image. Farewell.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You could try out the various Getter Robo anime, it was a massive influence on TTGL. I'd start out with Neo Getter Robo vs Shin Getter Robo, which is short and introduces pretty much the entire cast, I think it had a recent Bluray release stateside even. After that I'd watch New Getter Robo or Shin Getter Robo: Armageddon, both of which are closer to TTGL's sort of scale.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

is there much action or comedy in it?

I would say just watch the first movie, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, it will give you a pretty good idea of what the rest of the series will be like. It's only an hour long so it's not as big of a time investment. There is action, and there are funny moments, but I can't really say there's "much" action or comedy.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Saint Seiya is straight up nothing except dudes fighting other dudes for ~140 episodes. It's great.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Memories and Neo-Tokyo are more collections of shorter films than features, but they are really dang good. Bonjour, Galaxy Express 999 and Adieu, Galaxy Express 999 are a really good pair to watch, I'd spread them about a week or a few days apart. Seconding Metropolis, as well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sarrisan posted:

I just finished Hunter-x-Hunter the other day and I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. It was my first very long series, and also my first straight-shonen. Can anyone recommend another longish series that I might have overlooked for being too mainstream? I gave Fairy Tail the 1-episode treatment and was not very impressed.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Saint Seiya, the Original Dragonball, Fist of the North Star,

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yu Yu Hakusho

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you want specifically anime, the Saint Seiya anime is just about the only one of the long form shonen whose anime adaptation was better than the source material, if only because it made everything more interesting to look at. The manga gets really, really wordy for fighting manga while the anime is really well directed and paced, and amazingly vibrant and psychedelic at times. It's not as serious or dramatic as HxH ever gets but it's one of the best straight fighting shonen anime there is.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Shin Getter Robo v Neo Getter Robo, it's only four episodes long and it's excellent fun.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Magnetic Rose segment of Memories. Idk if it's really what you're looking for but it's about loss and it made me cry.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kubla Khan posted:

Guys can you recommend me a historical anime. Basically I saw Hyouge Mono, liked it a lot, so now I'm craving for more. Things I'm looking for in particular

1) at least pre-WW2, preferably pre-Meiji (1868? or thereabouts) Japan

2) main character/s are adults

3) no silly stuff (magic that doesn't fall into folklore/tradition category, super-powered chuuni fights etc);

Does something like that exist?

Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales is an old police procedural anime set in feudal Japan. All the available episodes are on youtube

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That sounds incredibly badass, I hope Miura can help Teruki with the rear end demons and maybe forge a friendship or even romance with him in the process.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Onani Master Kurosawa...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Someone recommend me a kickass action anime that doesn't have any lovely moe or fanservice in it

Kyou Kara Ore Wa if you want some laughs with delinquent action

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I know The Professional is extremely good, but how is the 2008 tv series?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Windows doesn't really go into the details of the game much. I watched the entire first season and I can't really say what rules the game has. The ani.e is more about the dark magic surrounding the game itself and the young women who get caught up it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

Are there any series on Netflix that folks would highly recommend? (I've seen & enjoyed Madoka, TTGL, and Kill la Kill already.) Any mecha series, in particular.

For that matter, are there many "medieval-ish" mecha shows out there (not necessarily on Netflix) other than Escaflowne? I have the vague inklings of an RPG setting involving giant suits of armor smashing each other with swords, and I'm looking for inspiration.

Panzer World Galient and Aura Battler Dunbine are fantasy mecha anime, both were inspirations for Escaflowne.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Otaku no Video is good self-parody

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Check out Oniisama E, it was a big inspiration for both Eva and Utena both in terms of content and stylistically. There are whole shots in Eva that are cribbed from it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish to hear about a good anime that's a period piece that's not set in Japan, with minimal or no supernatural elements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Check out Metropolis, also Memories and Neo-Tokyo if you count anthology style films as standalone.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nude posted:

Hi I'm looking for a type of anime that does creative/weird things with the medium. Things like Ping Pong, Nichijou, anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika). That's pretty much all I have as an example though. When I say creative I mean like interesting camera shots, or playing with different mediums (charcoal, watercolor), or weird cuts between scenes. stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6iOVhw6mQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0v-NuudQw

I hope that gives you some idea of what I'm looking for oh and I know about Studio Ghibli of course. I basically want watch really weird tripy films.

The Dagger of Kamui
Noiseman Sound Insect

Osamu Tezuka's Memory
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30okh_osamu-tezuka-memory_music

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I want something funny and action-y and dubbed in english.
Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
The Devil is a Part Timer
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//Legend of Twilight
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Tokyo Ghoul (the second season)
Gundam
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Naruto
One Piece
Is it Ok to pick up girls in a dungeon? <<< I hated this.
Tactics

Cyber City Oedo 808.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Galactic Cyclone Braiger, it's a mecha anime but the robot isn't as important as the space shenanigans J9 gets up to. It has a fun cast of characters, a great soundtrack, and lots of space adventure! I'm only partway through it myself but I've enjoyed it so far.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

What is a good anime for a kaiju fan to watch?

I liked what I saw of the anime Neoranga. Basically three sisters inherit their very own kaiju and what I saw at least was about how their community reacts to this and how they use it to try and fix their lives and their community. I never finished it though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also Vifam!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Reading a manga is almost always faster than watching a show in my experience.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

how good is the yu yu hakusho dub? also how good is the anime? is it like hunter x hunter where the anime is excellent, or is it more like dbz where the anime brings down excellent source material

Both are good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The good dubs are whichever ones I watched on Toonami when growing up, but also Cyber City Oedo and Mad Bull 34.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drifter posted:

I just finished watching Prison School and thought that it was pretty amusing. The super big-titted vice-president girl was kinda overkill as far as the fanservice went, but I thought everything else was pretty fun.

There was a whole minor arc about a girl slowly going insane because of pee/exposure related issues that, granted, were it to happen in the real world would have been horrendous to everyone involved, but I found pretty hilarious in the show.

Is there anything else *similar* in comedic low-brow comedy that maybe isn't so unabashedly ecchi or whatever that anyone'd recommend if Prison School was pretty funny? I had someone tell me Frozen was good, but I don't know anything about it.

Ultimate Teacher
Sukeban Deka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for anime that came out this year. I usually have at least two or three under my belt by now for the annual forum vote, but new job has made time for sifting through the typical heaps-o-crap difficult. I haven't even had a chance to watch Diamonds are Unbreakable, yet. :/

But, I am going to try to hunker down and knock a few series out with some upcoming free time. So, lay'em on me.

Osomatsu-san Season2, after you watch Season 1.