Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Is it normal to be on episode 6 of Durarara!! and still be utterly confused? Digging the show but I don't even know what the heck.

Can't remember what was going on at that point specifically, but I'm gonna go with yes. Through the whole show there's a bunch of different stories all told from different perspectives, often happening simultaneously, and it gets pretty confusing sometimes. You don't necessarily need to understand every detail - I was pretty lost from time to time and it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the show any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Admoon posted:

I thought Steins;Gate was on Netflix but I don't see it, that would've been a good sci-fi show for you.

It depends on your region. It's not on US Netflix, but it is on UK Netflix (and maybe Canada, too). So, to the person who was asking, if Steins;Gate is there, it's fantastic and definitely worth a watch. Also, if you don't mind dubs, the Steins;Gate dub is probably my favourite ever, so that's also worth considering.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

since you thought nhk was really good, you can try tatami galaxy. no dub though

for dub shows, i would recommend baccano and durarara. durarara is on cr, and i think baccano is on netflix

Worth bearing in mind that the Durarara dub is, as far as I know, only on US/Canadian Crunchyroll. Dunno about Australia, but while the show's on UK Crunchyroll, the dub isn't. As for Baccano, I don't think it's available anywhere on Netflix. Hulu and Funimation have it though, I think.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Poking about, it seems that Barakamon is unwatchable on Crunchyroll pretty much everywhere in the world, unless it's there somewhere I didn't check, like Australia or Italy or something. It's at least not in the UK/Ireland/France/Germany/Spain/US/Canada/Mexico/etc. I think Funimation licensed it, so that's perhaps why it was removed.

That's something I'm curious about, actually. Why, when Hulu/Funimation only stream in the US (and maybe Canada, I can't remember), does loads of stuff they license mysteriously disappear from streaming services all around the world? It'd be silly of them to buy worldwide streaming rights for stuff if they're not going to air it outside the US anyway, but it happens so frequently that I can't help but wonder if that's exactly what they're doing. If so, I really wish they'd stop.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I would say that's one of the ones everyone knows

I guess to be more specific since my request wasn't very helpful what are the good anime movies that aren't
- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 5cm Per Second

(because those are the ones I've already seen)

Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is great, although requires having seen the series, and the Madoka movie was pretty good too. Haven't seen them, but I guess people like the Evangelion movies.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Patema Inverted.

I dunno if I'd call that movie 'good'. It was decent, sure, and had some nice ideas, but also its fair share of issues. Admittedly, it's been a while since I saw it, so I can't exactly remember what my problems with it were other than the villain being pretty terrible, but I didn't come away from it thinking it was all that great.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
How was When Marnie Was There anyway, compared to other Ghibli films? It's still not had a cinema or Blu Ray release in the UK yet (hurry up, Studio Canal!) so I haven't had the chance to see it.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Looking it up, the Unlimited Blade Works one appears to be on Netflix in the UK, US, and Canada, but not Australia (though it's on Crunchyroll there). I guess if VPNs still happen to work with Netflix (they've already started blocking some), you could watch it that way. Or perhaps try Viewster/Crunchyroll/Daisuki and hope wherever you are happens to have it.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Been playing through the Steins;Gate game recently - I hear the Anime is good? Think I might hit it after I finish the game. What should I expect?

Obviously entirely up to personal preference, but I preferred the anime to the game, and I thought both were fantastic. First third or so of the show/game can get a little dull at points, but that's obviously 8 episodes or so compared to about 10 hours of game, so the anime felt paced much better. On top of that, the dub is absolutely stellar, and I'd really recommend it unless you don't like dubs. Admittedly, the original VA's great too - Okabe especially - but I preferred the dub in the end.

If you're just curious about if much is skipped then you don't have much to worry about - pretty much everything important's adapted, aside from the bad endings and one or two scenes that it would've been nice if they'd included but aren't really plot-essential.

EDIT:

-Blackadder- posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
Claymore
One Piece (often recommended because I love Naruto, watched a few eps to the first boss fight, liked it enough, but didn't feel the pull to continue)
Bleach (watched a few eps, but couldn't get into it)
Black Lagoon(I actually watched about 3-4 episodes of this, it was good for what it was, but I didn't feel the pull to continue)
tengen toppa gurren lagann (watched 1-2 few eps, couldn't get into it)

It sounds like you'd enjoy Hunter x Hunter, from what you've said. As for your list there, I recently watched Eva for the first time and it instantly became one of my personal favourites, so I'd say that's at the very least worth trying. I'd also recommend giving Gurren Lagann another shot since I wouldn't say the first two episodes are entirely representative of the whole show. Still, it might just be not your thing.

Just to throw out a random recommendation, why not try FLCL if you haven't seen it? Very short and most people really enjoy it, so worth trying.

smenj fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 20, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

watch space battleship yamato 2199

I forgot to mention this one! Seconded! Kinda wish it'd gotten a proper English release instead of just being abandoned and not even streamed anywhere.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Chihayafuru

Seconding this.

...I want season 3 :(

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mederlock posted:

Shinsekai Yori(From the New World) is pretty great, I don't want to say much about it so as not to ruin anything but it's about this group of friends following their childhood and early adulthood in a post-apocalyptic world, the premise and world building in it is good, the animation/art style is very nice, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Seconding this recommendation - watched it very recently and it was excellent. From what I've heard of the manga, it's terrible, so don't bother with that.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

giovanni's island (this one also works for Violet_Sky!!!), the masaaki yuasa films, nasu: summer in andalusia, memories, every satoshi kon film, a letter to momo, saint young men

By the way, if anyone happens to be interested, Paramount have recently uploaded Millennium Actress to their youtube channel for free. Appears to be blocked for viewers outside the US (or at least it's not working for me in the UK), but there it is nonetheless. I've heard nothing but good things about the film, though I haven't seen it myself, so it's likely well worth a watch if you're interested and able to view it.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sesquiculus posted:

I haven’t really watched anime since the late nineties, but a couple of shows on Netflix and the simulwatch thread here have reignited my interest. I’m looking for mellow, character-focused comedies, preferably with adult characters and not schoolkids. I don’t really have an interest in over-the-top goofy comedies or action stuff.

While it's set in a high school, Hyouka sounds like it's more or less exactly what you're looking for. Very relaxed, light-hearted mystery show with great characters and some fantastic direction/animation. Most of the characters are a fair bit more mature than in most anime set in high-schools, so you shouldn't really need to worry about them putting you off. Be warned, mind, that the show was never actually licensed by anybody, so it's not officially available in English. Still, highly recommended.

I'd also recommend Steins;Gate, although with the proviso that it's not really as mellow as you're probably looking for, and the main character (while great) can be pretty goofy. Nonetheless, it's a sci-fi mystery/drama/comedy, quite character-focused, and most of the characters are university students. It's also excellent, has a great dub if you feel like trying it, and is on Netflix in several countries to boot.

EDIT: Also seconding recommendations for Shirobako which have already been made. Fantastic show, well worth watching.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'd like to ask for some suggestions for sci-fi watching material, please.
To be a little bit more specific, what I'm looking for I guess is old-fashioned adventures but in space. People being heroes, trying to stop problems, bad guys being bad, etc. I'm not against political intrigue or cosmic horror or humans are the real monstersssssss, but I'd like to keep things focused on ADVENTURE :black101:
EDIT: Space Opera. That's the term. Oops. :v:

I just recently finished Outlaw Star and I loved the hell out of it, currently going through Cowboy Bebop and Space Pirate Captain Harlock and they're pretty fun as well. Tried Space Dandy, wasn't really 100% on it and dropped it at about episode 10. People keep suggesting Bubblegum Crisis.

I'll second the recommendation for Space Battleship Yamato 2199. It's pretty much exactly what you're after, and it's excellent.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I've gone through the wiki, and still going through the last ten pages of this thread, but still need to find something I can stream on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu that is relatively new.

I'm a grown rear end man (who apparently has the need to mention it lol) not interested in anything to do with high school, comedy, or regular beat em up anime. I like relatively deep, sci-fi (it could be any genre), and mind-expanding animes that paint interesting worlds/mythology you want to dive in.

I found the wiki to primarily center on the former stuff. Stuff I've really liked in the past: Rahxephon, Redline, the manga Planetes, the mange Battle Angel Alita (before it veered off track), the manga Akira, any Miyazaki movie.

I'd be up for a manga recommendation as well. Thanks in advance.

I've not seen it myself, but from what I know Mushishi might be up your street. I know the first season's quite old (about a decade?) but I think Netflix has the second season too, which was pretty recent.
Netflix also has Steins;Gate in a fair few regions, and I think Hulu, too. It might not be entirely to your taste (there's a fair amount of comedy, but it's balanced out with quite a bit of drama and intrigue), but is an excellent sci-fi time travel story at its heart. It also has a great dub, if that matters to you.
If Hulu has it, Shin Sekai Yori/From The New World is a sci-fi series with a really intriguing plot and setting that had me hooked the whole way through, albeit with one or two off-putting episodes here and there. Follows the characters from childhood through to adulthood, so yes, there are parts where they're in high school, but that's really not what the show's about at all. Very heavy drama and atmosphere all the way through.
And, although it's not available for streaming anywhere and I haven't seen or read it yet myself, since you mentioned Planetes, I may as well mention that I've heard the anime is very different to the manga. Not in a bad way, simply just that the anime focuses a lot more on some side characters that were barely in the manga, or something like that, so I've heard that it's a great watch even for people who've already read the series. If you have some way to watch it, it may be worth a look.
That's all that comes to mind for the moment.

Oh, stuff probably too obvious to mention, just in case you hadn't watched/read them: Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nausicaa (note that the manga came first, is quite different to the film and is highly praised, so it's worth a go even if you've seen the film).

smenj fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 19, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I suppose I should clarify what I meant since it's sparked all this discussion. By "off-putting episodes" in From The New World, I meant there were one or two episodes with a very uncomfortable atmosphere, which was great for most of the show, since the whole thing's meant to be intense and unsettling and the like, but there were a few which went a bit further than the rest. Nothing to not bother watching the show over by any means, and I certainly didn't mean that the show's full of gore or anything like that. I should, however, mention that I believe the show had a guest director for two separate episodes (both in the first cour, I think), and those episodes really stand out from the rest in a bad way. So if you decide to watch it and notice an abrupt decline in quality for an episode, that's probably why.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for anime that came out this year. I usually have at least two or three under my belt by now for the annual forum vote, but new job has made time for sifting through the typical heaps-o-crap difficult. I haven't even had a chance to watch Diamonds are Unbreakable, yet. :/

But, I am going to try to hunker down and knock a few series out with some upcoming free time. So, lay'em on me.

Lots of what everyone else has said is good (Mob Psycho, Re:Zero, Tanaka, etc.), but nobody's mentioned Erased yet, which aired at the beginning of the year, and was mostly excellent. The first episode is a very strong hook at any rate, so it's worth at the very least watching that.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I feel that if you're going to experience Erased you're much better off reading the manga where it doesn't super rush the ending.

That's fair, and I'd probably agree though I haven't read the manga myself. It definitely did get all a bit rushed towards the end. The first couple of episodes were still fantastic though, and the show's still worth watching if you don't fancy reading the manga.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Dunno if it really counts as 'the last couple of years', but as I've said before, I think the Steins;Gate dub is amazing. As for other stuff, though I know it goes without saying that dubs of Ghibli films are generally great, I was especially impressed with their dub of From Up On Poppy Hill and would say it's perhaps my favourite Ghibli dub I've seen.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I preferred the dub to the sub for Steins;Gate. Aside from it just being nice to hear in my own language, a fair few of the more awkward jokes and references were replaced with funnier ones (or at least that was how it seemed to me when I compared some of the scenes), and Okabe's script and general manner of speaking was funnier than ever. The main downsides were the aforementioned lack of 'SONOVABITCH' and the fact that English Okabe can't do his evil laugh quite as well as Japanese Okabe, but you can't have everything.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Kuno posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Unfortunately FMA isn't available in the UK but I've started Durara which is pretty good.

Should you happen to have it, FMAB's on Netflix in the UK, I think.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I have almost exclusively kept my anime related shenanigans to video games, but I think I want to finally put in the effort to look outside that platform for enjoyable cartoon adventures. This seems like the best place to ask for help in getting started, so I hope my questions dont come off as dumb or offensive. I dont really know where to even start since I had no idea just how much there was out there and how many genres were covered. I guess Im looking for something that would have comedy (dark or goofy, doesny matter), decent action scenes, and something that is really character driven. I also dont mind being hit in the feels if its a good sad story. Sci-fi and history related stuff is just a bonus. I would even watch anime based on video games if it isnt half bad (though I expect this to be as rare as good movies based on games).

If it helps I even have a small list of things Ive watched and loved! Most of it is from the 80s/90s because Im old. Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, My Neighbor Totoro, and Grave of the Fireflies. Games wise I mostly enjoy playing the Nippon Ichi games, Neptunia (it handles taking itself not very seriously just the right amount), and the older Final Fantasy games. The Shin Megami Tensei series are by far my favorites, though this is probably a hard one to find anything similar to.

Even if its just pointing me in a general direction I would appreciate any and all help. :shobon:

Assuming you haven't played the VN (and assuming you don't want to play the VN before watching the show or something), Steins;Gate is a top pick that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned already. Not much in the way of action, but a fantastic sci-fi story with great characters, comedy and drama. It's available on Netflix in a number of regions, Hulu and Funimation in some others, so it's worth checking if it's there if you subscribe to any of those services. And as I say pretty much every time I mention the show, the dub is fantastic, so consider giving the dub a go even if it's not something you usually do.

A more general recommendation would be to perhaps try a few episodes of a sports anime, see if the genre's your thing. The better ones are very character driven and have great action scenes (inasmuch as sports would count as action), and often have a fair bit of comedy to boot. Some relatively recent good ones are Haikyuu (volleyball) and Chihayafuru (karuta) (both are streaming on Crunchyroll). Whilst lacking the comedy you might want, Ping Pong The Animation is also brilliant and only 11 episodes long.

Most of what everyone else has said is great, but I would in particular second recommendations for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Gurren Lagann.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you liked Ghost in the Shell. Assuming you mean the film, you mightn't have seen the TV series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard nothing but good things, so that's probably worth looking at.
EDIT2: One final thing! If you haven't come across it already, this handy anime streaming search engine exists.

smenj fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 8, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any good anime about mass exoduses? Think Battlestar Galactica (either one), Knights of Sidonia, Book of the Long Sun, anything like that. Doesn't have to be science fiction although that's my first preference.

I haven't seen/read the stuff you've mentioned so someone else will have to chime in as to how suited my recommendation might be, but Space Battleship Yamato 2199, while not featuring a mass exodus exactly, does have a large amount of people leaving the Earth on a ship and traveling to another galaxy (or maybe just a distant planet in the milky way? Can't remember). So it's got similar 'abandoning the earth/leaving the earth to save humanity' etc. stuff going on that's similar to mass exodus stuff, and is also an excellent sci-fi show in general. That said, you may well have seen it already.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Ulio posted:

Any thriller animes maybe like Mayoiga something with horror or just straight up mystery. Like the tv show Lost or Twin Peaks is there any other anime with a cast of characters which is suspenseful/mystery?

From The New World/Shin Sekai Yori got mentioned not long ago. Not every episode is like that, and it takes a little while to get there, but the show is incredibly tense and has a hell of a lot of atmosphere, particularly in the second half. A good amount of horror/mystery/suspense, certainly worth checking out.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

gmq posted:

Has there been any anime as funny as The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys since its release (2012)?

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun perhaps wasn't quite as funny, but it came drat close for me.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Regarding bleak shows, there's also From The New World, which I really enjoyed.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

User0015 posted:

I need some recommendations. Let me break down likes, dislikes and recently enjoyed.

Things I've enjoyed in the past or present:
  • One punch man
  • JoJo
  • Log Horizon
  • Grimgar
  • SAO/Accel World (mediocre)
  • KonoSuba
  • Soul Eater
  • Fairy Tail (mediocre but fast paced)
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Psychopass

Things I love:
  • Shows that don't take themselves to seriously.
  • Shows about adventure or new worlds
  • Shows that are ridiculous or absurd

poo poo I hate:
  • Slice of life anime. Bonus points if they're all high school kids.
  • Anime about sports (fantasy sports don't count, maybe, assuming that even exists)
  • Gratuitous Gore/Bloody/Super violent. Read: Elfen Lied levels of gratuitous. Psychopass/Berserk are fine.

Please help me pick some fun, good, nice things to watch!

I'm sure you've already got more than enough to get on with in terms of recommendations, but I'd definitely recommend having a look at Hunter x Hunter to see if it's your kind of thing. The first arc is fun, but a little slow, and the final one, though excellent, has abysmal pacing at times and is often pretty serious. That aside, it's fantastic for the whole 'adventure and new worlds' angle you're looking for, and the whole magic/fighting system introduced in the second arc leads to a lot of absurd abilities and other fun stuff.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

uguu posted:

Owned, thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it!

EDIT:

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

hey i havent watched anime in a while. i loved school rumble and slam dunk anime, basically romantic comedy stuff or funny shows with romantic vibes. I ddin't like Toradora. I liked monthly girls nozaki kun. also i hate any anime that has that default brown haired timid anime protaganist so its hard for me to find shows to watch in this genre, thanks

I'd throw my recommendation behind Ore Monogatari/My Love Story as others have done - definitely a great show that seems to fit the kind of thing you're looking for. However, just to put another recommendation out there, I'd somewhat hesitantly suggest you might want to check out SNAFU if you run out of other stuff to try. The first season's mostly rom-com business until it introduces a bit more drama towards the end, but the second season is really heavy on the drama throughout, which may well not be what you're after, since you said you didn't like Toradora. Still, the protagonist is pretty unique, so you might be interested.

smenj fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 16, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Azumanga's first couple of episdoes are more or less badly paced garbage with nice moments, because it's still trying to follow the 4koma, short skit layout. I think after that the show had a directorial change and it picked up a great deal. Still a bit more dreamlike in pace than other shows I've watched, but good stuff. That theme tune is a classic to me.

Maybe I'll give the show another chance, then. All I'd seen for the show was unqualified praise, nothing at all like "The first few episodes are dull, give it a chance" or something like that, so I dropped it after I watched the first two episodes and thought they were crap.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

I like Azumanga a lot, but it's very slow-paced and has no overarching plot. If these sound like negatives then it might not be for you.

I don't mind slow pacing or a lack of plot, really, I just didn't find the show funny at all. There's been a few shows to my mind that people have a fair bit of nostalgia for where it's not quite justified, plus people have pretty varying tastes in comedy. I'd loved Nichijou and seen many people comparing the two shows, some saying they liked Azumanga Daioh more, so I thought I'd give it a go. None of the jokes from what I watched made me laugh, and I hadn't seen anybody mentioning that the beginning wasn't very good and that I should stick with it, so I figured people were either remembering the show much more fondly than it deserved or that we just had different preferences in comedy. For example, a few people really loved that Sakamoto show a few seasons ago but it barely made me chuckle. If people say the show picks up a few episodes in I might be persuaded to give it another try, but the humour just didn't seem like it was for me.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Oh btw, has anyone played the sequel VN, Steins;Gate 0? If so, what are your impressions on it?

I believe I and a few other people posted some impressions not too long after it came out over the in the VN thread in Games. The thread doesn't get too many posts so it should be easy enough to find them if you skip back a few pages.

Basically though most thought it was good, but not quite as good as the first game. They tried to split parts of the main story up between multiple timelines/routes rather than having one main route with short 'bad ending' offshoot branches like the original. That idea succeeded in some respects but to my mind made parts of the game feel a bit disjointed and strangely paced.

All that said, if you liked the original and want more, by all means go play it, it's good.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Crimson Chin posted:

Just finished ERASED. Very good show. Anything else of the same ilk? Looking for some crime/drama/mystery anime that are as similarly tight as ERASED. The 12 episodes were paced really well and the show did not overstay its welcome.

I'm struggling to think of many shows I've seen that are good and fall into the exact same niche, but there's a few shows, for example, Hyouka and Steins;Gate, which are very good and have great mysteries (though Hyouka has no crime and some very laid-back pacing, and Steins;Gate takes a couple of episodes to really get going). From The New World is a great suspenseful mystery/drama, but is much more horror-focused than something like ERASED. Probably the best thing I can think of is one of Satoshi Kon's films - Perfect Blue. It's a good horror/mystery film, and only around 90 minutes long. Be warned though that it very much deserves its 18 rating, if that happens to matter to you.

There's also Monster, which is right in the niche you're going for but is like ~70 episodes long, and I've only read the manga so I can't speak to the show's pacing. Either way, all the shows I mentioned are good so if they catch your interest they're probably worth trying even if it's not exactly what you were after.

smenj fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 15, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ClaytonClaw posted:

Has there been any worthwhile anime the last two-three years? I haven't really watched anything besides One punch and before that ping pong and Nichijou which I all liked.

Shirobako was recent and really really good, though it's not much like the shows you've mentioned you enjoyed. If you're looking for something more upbeat/action-y, Haikyuu and Chihayafuru are two really good recent sports shows. Since you mentioned Nichijou, which is from 2011, I may as well mention Steins;Gate from the same year, which is excellent. Other random good things from the past 5 years or so in a bunch of genres: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (space opera), Konosuba (fantasy comedy that gets really good in season 2 imo), Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (good romcom, much more comedy than romance), Hyouka (excellent laid-back mystery show), and From The New World (fantasy horror dystopia).

I'd also bring up Mob Psycho as one you'd most likely enjoy, but that was mentioned above.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Ulio posted:

Its not as bad as in From the new world. Still I recommend watching it for the story.

That massive animation shift that was being talked about I believe is because a different director did two of the show's episodes. I can't remember exactly which two it was specifically, but I'm pretty sure episode 4 was one of them, and the other was also one of the first 12. Even putting animation changes aside, I remember those episodes being noticeably worse than most of the rest.

At the very least, I certainly don't remember the show's animation quality getting any worse - those two episodes excepted - as it went on, so if those episodes aren't what people are referring to then I don't really know what they mean. That said, it's been a fair while since I watched the show.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Excuse me, sorry, but this recommendation is wrong and bad.

What it should be is that you should buy the deluxe two-volume hardcover boxed collection of the Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga :colbert:.

I've got this set and read the first book, but I'm really reluctant to start the second because there were never any good stopping points in the first (aside from the too few and far between chapter breaks). Clearly, the solution is just to read the entire thing without stopping, I guess.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a game but if you want more Steins Gate the sequel (Steins;Gate 0 on PS4/Vita) is supposed to be good I think

It's pretty significantly different from the first in both structure and tone, but it's still a good game, though the general consensus (that I also agree with) is that it's not as good as the first. That said, it tries a fair few interesting things and is certainly worth a try if you enjoyed the original and want to see more of the characters. There's also an anime adaption in the works, but we haven't heard anything about that for quite a while at this point so I'm not sure when it's coming. Considering the game's structure, I'm not exactly sure how they're going to handle the anime in any case. Should be interesting to see.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Eela6 posted:

So here's a request that's pretty different. I haven't seen a lot of SOL, but I have seen Demi-Chan Wa Katinari, and I loved it. There's a basic kindness and patience to it that I did not expect. It's a very refreshing show. What's something that feels like Demi-Chan? The tone is the most important thing - I don't give a whit whether it has monster girls in it or whatever.

It's hard to pick one with quite the same 'feel' as that, but Non Non Biyori, Tanaka-kun Is Always Listless, Flying Witch, Silver Spoon and K-On are all solid and relaxed SOL shows, so have a look at them and see if any grab your interest? Worth noting that K-On season 1 is a bit meh, but season 2 is waaay better. Most of the shows I mentioned are also on Crunchyroll.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

I’ve recently been rewatching My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU and Hyouka, and just yesterday I watched Koe no Katachi. And I don’t know how best to put it, but they’ve put me in the mood for more anime and manga that are similarly deeply interested in exploring their characters. I suppose you could say character drama but that feels a bit vague. All those stories explore the complexity of communication and have elements of mystery. Looking for any manga and anime that this might make you think of. Doesn’t have to be set in highschool.

I'd imagine you've likely seen it, but just in case you haven't, Evangelion (the TV series and End of Eva) is what I'd suggest. Though to a much lesser degree, I'd also say Steins;Gate (and if you don't mind VNs, its sequel Steins;Gate 0) has a pretty great focus on its characters and a great mystery.

EDIT:

Hocus Pocus posted:

I absolutely love Pluto, and hope it sees a series or film adaptation.

Pretty sure a series got announced just recently - one (hour?) long episode per volume, though it's not happening for ages. 2018, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Hipsteresque posted:

Are there any good comedic or lighthearted shows like Konosuba or The Devil is a Part-Timer that came out in the past few years I should watch?

In addition to the other suggestions, Monthly Girls/Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is great. Ought to be on Crunchyroll and (I think?) HIDIVE if you’re subscribed to either.