Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

gmq posted:

I also want to watch (or read) things that make me cry of happiness/heartwarming like the last episode of My Love Story!! or the episode where Sawako reconciles with Yano and Yoshida (volume 2 of the manga).

Thanks!

Have you seen Chihayafuru? It's by the same studio and director as My Love Story!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo, recommend me something cool if you dare!

Yu Yu Hakusho (A childhood favorite. I'm not opposed to a shonen series if it's good- see JoJo. The combination of the supernatural stuff and the street punks is funny, but it ends up in 'interminable tournament' territory after a while.)

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is by the same author with a solid adaptation.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am ready for Fourth Impact.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think most people who watch sports anime care about the sport in question, tbh. It's more a means to an end for the story, you know?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe Namtab is asleep for this.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

I finally watched the first two episodes of K-on and liked it. I blame you Namtab.

But seriously, it's a good show despite Yui being the blobbiest of moeblobs.

How do you feel about Mio

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's my high standards for fanservice: if doesn't service me personally, it's bad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Smart Fanservice: "This character has sweet tits, it's a footnote irrelevant to the show at-large".

Regular Fanservice: "Oh hey, a trip to the hotsprings/beach/pool for one episode".

Stupid Fanservice: "THESE GIRLS PRANCING ABOUT IN HALF-NAKED OUTFITS IS KEY AND ESSENTIAL TO THE GRAND DRAMATIC OPUS OF THE PLOT BECAUSE :downswords.:"

What about fanservice in something where the target audience isn't interested in sexy girls?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

I played the game instead of watching the anime but is there any other cool time travel stuff like Steins;Gate (I think the only one I've seen is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time + I've read Qualia the Purple)

The second Gintama movie.

Though it's probably not the best thing to watch first if you're totally new to the series.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
e: Thanks Awful for the double post.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sarrisan posted:

I just finished Hunter-x-Hunter the other day and I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. It was my first very long series, and also my first straight-shonen. Can anyone recommend another longish series that I might have overlooked for being too mainstream? I gave Fairy Tail the 1-episode treatment and was not very impressed.

Gintama if you're not wholly committed to the battle action side of shonen (though there is still quite a bit of action). It's a comedy series with lots of 4th wall jokes poking fun at other anime (like when they recreate the ending to Evangelion frame-by-frame) and also themselves (like when they put the protagonist in sleep paralysis as an excuse to not animate a scene). There are 300+ episodes, but it's mostly episodic, so you can easily just take a bit in at a time. It does take a while to get really going since the first 30-ish episodes aren't too great. You can skip the first two episodes too. It's eh in media res anime filler.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Radio Spiricom posted:

but yeah if you're interested in these types of shows you're better off just reading the manga than slogging through their 100+ episode adaptations especially in the days of 12/13/14 episode cours. they're timesinks and good if you're unemployed or whatever

I mean OP did only ask for long-ish series. It was Cake Attack who said 100+ episode.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kylra posted:

I've been feeling like I want to cry to something. Not the sappy romance happy kind of tears though. I want the kind that comes from irrevocable loss and/or struggling through some kind of intense personal suffering. Perhaps with some nobility mixed in, but not something that's just in the epilogue unless it's really powerful. Below is a list of some examples of the general direction of the kind of thing I am looking for. I don't mind if there's build up to it. Romance type stories are still acceptable recs here, but should probably be tragic in some way (see: Princess Tutu, Utena).

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Kiritsugu's poo poo in Fate Zero
The more melancholic parts of Kotoura-san
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

It feels like there's a few others I should remember to list here, but they aren't coming to mind if so. I feel like Kino's Journey is supposed to be in here for some reason, but I can't remember well enough to say for sure.

Episodes 24-25 of Sket Dance.

Samurai Flamenco's last arc qualifies too, but it doesn't mean as much if you don't watch the earlier episodes. You could probably get away with watching the first six and then the last four, and just imagine that a lot of crazy stuff happens in-between.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

-Troika- posted:

Oh jesus that's going to be a lot of stuff. Not even sure I can remember it all.

Surprised you haven't seen One Punch Man.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

symphogear is a show full of absolutely loving hilariously amazingly over-the-top, legitimately good and fun action stuff but most of it comes in after the first four episodes and it doesn't quite pass the "no moe or fanservice" qualification

I remember a fair deal of nudity after the first four episodes too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, cool thanks.

So I have a hard time keeping up with what's recent and good. I'm watching One Punch Man(because it's what basically EVERYONE is talking about) right now and loving it but that's not going to last me very long. The last thing I watched was Attack on Titan(because for a while it was also what everyone was talking about), loved it too of course. So the other recommendations I'm looking for are just anything that's relatively recent and good/popular. The anime I tend to like usually has some kind of competition or war, whether that be physical(Hajime No Ippo) or mental(Death Note) though it can range in mature content level, for example I really enjoy Naruto, but I also really enjoy Berserk. Here's a list of anime I've watched and liked a lot to give you an idea of what I'm looking for...

Naruto
Berserk
Hajime No Ippo
Basilisk
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Seirei no Moribito
Sword Art Online

Also I'd like to get people's opinion on some older shows that I never got around to watching or only watched a few episodes of, it's possible that I should push myself to watch those because I'm missing out on great stuff

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
Claymore
One Piece (often recommended because I love Naruto, watched a few eps to the first boss fight, liked it enough, but didn't feel the pull to continue)
Bleach (watched a few eps, but couldn't get into it)
Black Lagoon(I actually watched about 3-4 episodes of this, it was good for what it was, but I didn't feel the pull to continue)
tengen toppa gurren lagann (watched 1-2 few eps, couldn't get into it)

Consider:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Yu Yu Hakusho

The One Piece anime is decent until the pacing turns to poo poo around the Thriller Bark arc, but that still gives you ~300 episodes to work with. It's a better read.

Bleach is bad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Meowbot posted:

I haven't really ever watched anime in my life but my friend was like hey you need tow atch some anime and recommended a bunch of shows to me (tokyo ghoul, ergo proxy, gungrave, count of monte crisco) but I'm not really sure if I will like any of that.

Things that I have watched recently and enjoyed were Black Lagoon and well thats pretty much it, I like things with guns and I do like a little bit of comedy but the thing I like the most important is the art style I am not a fan of cutesy art (I like cute things but not chibi I guess?)...

Old anime I used to really enjoy or remember enjoying were more violent things for eample I Remember SPriggan but I also really liked the humor in Slayers! and haven't found an anime as fun as that yet.

Any suggestions what I would like? Would I like something like Gunslinger girls or Canaan possibly Angel Beats after lookign at some other anime lists online?

I like a good story too but hell I can't remember if Black Laggoon had a great story or not. Sorry im not very good at this anime thing! Help please

Things important to me:

engaging story (not a zzz fest), funny female characters (like Revy from black lagoon), guns, really beautiful art, serious / grittier type of setting

It seems everything is about being in school and interacting with people. What happened to violently shooting people in the face to solve our differences?

Baccano sounds right up your alley.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's just a really big Yugioh fan, and hell, we should respect that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wixoss isn't available on Crunchyroll at all, at least for the US. It's not in Canada, the UK, or Australia either judging by because.moe

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

VolticSurge posted:

So,are there any (preferably legal) alternatives?

Uh, do proxy shenanigans count as legal? It's on Hulu.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

Those sound pretty interesting - thanks! I'll check them out but

With this I read there are two OVAs and an anime, where do I start?

Just the TV series. It reuses one of the OVAs for the bulk of the first episode, and also, I don't think anyone's translated the OVAs so...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

esselfortium posted:

What makes Commie's subs best for this?

Crunchyroll's is rife with errors. There are some scenes where their subs imply the total opposite of what's actually happening.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Crunchyroll only has the second season of Mushishi though. It doesn't matter too much since it's an episodic series, but the first season should be all on Funi's official YouTube channel. Dunno if that has region restrictions tho.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

Yeah, English speakers only. Their YouTube channel is pretty locked down.

Can't say I'm surprised since it's even on the bakabt blacklist, but yeesh.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nude posted:

Hi I'm looking for a type of anime that does creative/weird things with the medium. Things like Ping Pong, Nichijou, anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika). That's pretty much all I have as an example though. When I say creative I mean like interesting camera shots, or playing with different mediums (charcoal, watercolor), or weird cuts between scenes. stuff like this:

The -monogatari series sounds up your alley, if you can get past its rather extensive share of skeevy scenes.

Even more gifs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3768480&perpage=40&pagenumber=2046#post460012135

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 18, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Linnaeus posted:

Hunter x hunter is on toonami now, and it's from the same author as yu yu hakusho

In the same vein, Level E.

I also like Noragami a lot. It's also on Funi, so there should be at least a semi-competent dub.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 19, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Turtlicious posted:

FMA Spoilers:

I got to the part where Lao Feng gets possessed by greed, and is showing bits of Lao Feng still inside of him. I had stopped reading the Manga around book 12, which is when Ed get's eaten by gluttony with Envy, and I didn't enjoy it a great deal. The series ended up swerving into grim dark territory, and it seemed like they were fighting a losing battle with no hope.

Each new episode was a gut punch, and eventually I found the series as a whole exhausting. I try to watch a lot more light hearted stuff now, because the uber serious grimdark stuff is just starting to not keep my attention as much.

I do not know a lot of the terms, so I can't tell you if the shonen leaning bugged me.

Space Dandy seems exactly what I'm looking for, while Jormandur (which from what I read as a plot synopsis,) seems less light hearted then I'm looking for. HunterXHunter might be good, but I don't know anything about it besides the plot synopsis.

From what I've seen from Ghost in the Shell it doesn't have the comedy I'm looking for.

I've already glued several DVD cases to USB FlashDrives to a Chromcast for this anime watching event.

Hunter x Hunter does get dark/gorey at parts, especially for the Chimera Ant arc. But that's like a 100 eps in, so.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chocobo posted:

Oh, holy poo poo that might actually be the ticket. I actually remember watching an episode or two and decided to wait so I could marathon it later on. (I wanted to check it out because I saw the live action movie where everyone dies.) Thanks for the reminder.

Hey, that's not true. 11 people make it out okay!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mederlock posted:

So, what do I watch to fill this Barakamon/Usagi Drop shaped hole in my heart?

Start watching Natsume Yuujinchou now so you're caught up for the new season in fall.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seto no Hanayome

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think it's fair to dismiss someone's sincere enjoyment of a series as enjoying garbage.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a jdrama, but My Boss My Hero

https://v.tumblr.com/tumblr_m21ohszxaI1qhqdha_r1.mov

movs don't embed...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if there's any good stuff focused on suicide or depression (either dealing with suicidal thoughts or the aftermath of losing someone else from it)

(I've seen Welcome to the NHK)

Orange.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
:wow:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check out the live-action Space Battleship Yamato movie too, it's prrtty drat good.

Whoa.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Osomatsu-san

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone not recommending March comes in like a lion means they have questionable taste. Watch that. Or read it, because it's quite a lengthy manga and it's real good.

It's a two cour, it won't qualify for this years thread.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gintama has some pretty neat action scenes, but it does take a while to get there. Like the first big arc is 58 episodes in for instance.

Hunter x Hunter is still pretty long but it might be more your speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone care to recommend a good action fantasy show with a woman protagonist?

Have you seen Yona?