Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Uber Doge

https://twitter.com/pioooooon/status/1188442335014608898?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Yandere Kanojo is my insta-rec. I'll post more as I come up with them.

Yandere Kanojo

Wotakoi

Kekkon Shitemo Koishiteru

Bonnouji

This Girl is not Just Cute

Ore Monogatari

Lovely Complex

Kawai Hi to

Kimi ni Todoke

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi

There was another one about a couple living together. A guy with a tired/bored looking face who was 3 years younger than the last. First chapter was about pudding theft.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 6, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Everything Burrito posted:

Couples in relationships + adult characters:

Tonari wa Nani o Kuu Hito zo - Horoyoi
This is actually a sequel but the first part is more of a cooking/slice of life thing that doesn't really get that romantic until almost at the end, and imo the sequel can stand alone as its own thing but it does expect that you already know all the characters. It's still cooking/slice of life but it's also a couple living together and figuring that out + joining the workforce and all that young adult post-college stuff. Very chill and low-key also.

Mobuko's Love is a workplace/college-age setting and extremely cute and earnest so if you aren't already reading it you should check it out. The couple is still sort of fumbling toward getting together but they're trying their best :kimchi:

I'm Nearly 30, But This Is My First Love
Just what it says on the tin. Working adults who are kind of late bloomers in their first relationship and figuring out how it all works. It's really cute and also has very good supporting characters!

Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini
Comedy/slice of life with a couple who have started living together. Another one that's pretty low-key, it has kind of a dry sense of humor but can also be sweet.

My Husband is a Housewife
Updates may be slim on this one, it got licensed recently. It plays around with gender roles a bit, but mostly it's comedy/slice of life with a newly married couple.

Glad you're reading Kawaii Hito already, I really love that one :3

e: you might join us in the shoujo thread if you aren't hanging out in there already

That fourth one is the one I was talking about. I'll post some descriptions for the ones I posted as well.

doomrider7 posted:

Yandere Kanojo is my insta-rec. I'll post more as I come up with them.

Yandere Kanojo - Uber affectionate delinquent girl and honors student secretly date with hilarious results.

Wotakoi - Functional Adult otaku romance.

Kekkon Shitemo Koishiteru - Happily Married Life The Manga.

Bonnouji - Girl coming off a messy breakup starts to hang out with apartment neighbor who's room is basically a storage museum of weird stuff from his brother.

This Girl is not Just Cute - Meek herbivore of a guy with terrible luck and maxed out purity and good boy stats dates cute and tough as nails girl.

Ore Monogatari - Takeo Gouda is The Man we should all strive to be in life.

Lovely Complex - HS the manga. Lots of goofy awkward romance ad comedy ensues.

Kawai Hito - Guy with fierce looking face who's a big softy meets

Kimi ni Todoke - Girl who looks like Sadako becomes friends with the most popular guy in school. It's very nice.

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi - Historical romance in 1920's Japan. It's really, really good. Yuzu is the UBER WAIFU.

There was another one about a couple living together. A guy with a tired/bored looking face who was 3 years younger than the last. First chapter was about pudding theft. Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MJP posted:

I FREAKING LOVED BONNOUJI. It was like Solanin in the whole "man, I'm grown and have no aim anymore, what am I supposed to do?" sense but Aki Eda owns bones.

Wotakoi as well, so drat good. One of those instances where the anime was as good as if not better than the manga. I liked Ore Monogatari but found it just kinda didn't do much, not sure why.

I'll throw out a recommendation in the same vein: My Perfect Girlfriend. It's got a dynamic between the lead characters that's extremely close to a very real, Not Stereotypical Manga Japanese couple. They make bad jokes, get cutesy, and really seem to enjoy each other's company without being lovey-dovey. It's so real.

Thanks tons for the recommendations, I am checking them out over time! I'm not much of an overall shoujo fan but I'll check the thread out at some point.

I second this. It is indeed cute, goofy, and funny.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 6, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

'So, Wanna Go Out, Or' has the characters asking each other out in the first chapter and goes from there. And it's set in college.

This has been on my lost for a while now. Reminds me of this one a bit.

https://mangadex.org/title/7275/rakuen-no-jouken

I also found this other one recently and its been cute so far.

https://mangadex.org/title/42490/hanging-out-with-a-gamer-girl

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for some over the top action/violence but Id like to avoid the grim/dark side that is typically associated with the genre.

Basically something like Big Trouble in Little China, but anime.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is pretty solid on this front.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Turtlicious posted:

What's the anime where they're fighting giant bugs and it looks real old?

Blue Gender I think?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

UnfurledSails posted:

Looking for anime that's, uh, not too exciting but not too boring. Something I can watch an episode or two of when I can't sleep at 3am. I've used Endro and Dagashi Kashi for this before and this season's Rifle Is Beautiful has been pretty much exactly that.

Squid Girl

Tonari no Seki-kun

Teasing Master Takagi

Chio's School Road

Asobi Asobase

Dumbbells: How Many Kilos Can You Lift

Nichijou

All are goofy SoL shows and are fairly episodic.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sakurazuka posted:

The Escaflowne movie is also real bad outside of a couple of nicely animated fights and the soundtrack.

Wasn't the movie REALLY angsty in how it portrayed Hitomi?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Highest Grossing Media Franchise in 2019

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba

2. Love Live

3. One Piece

4. Kingdom

5. Tensei Slime

6. Idolmaster

7. Promised Neverland

8. Kaguya-sama

9. Touken Ranbu

10. Fate Series

11. Gotobun Hanayome

12. Kamen Rider Series

13. Detective Conan

14. Oshiri Tantei

15. Hypnosis -Division Rap Battle-

16. My Hero Academia

17. Bohemian Rhapsody

18. Attack on Titan

19. Mobile Suit Gundam

20. Idolsh7

21. Haikyuu!

22. Bang Dream

23. A3!

24. Twelve Kingdoms

25. Seven Deadly Sins

26. Sword Art Online

27. Dragon Ball

28. <Story> Series(Likely means the "Tales" franchise of games by Bandai Namco)

29. The Avengers

30. Golden Kamuy

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nipponophile posted:

That's "monogatari".

Ah ok. That makes more sense then.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

runawayturtles posted:

I'm trying to get my recently retired mom into anime. She likes science fiction and fantasy (Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, etc.), among other things, and she strongly prefers dubs over subs. I of course gave her Cowboy Bebop to start with, but they don't have Hulu and I guess it's only available there right now.

Anything jump out at you guys as an easy suggestion? I don't watch dubs so I really have no clue which are good (aside from Bebop).

Among whatever other series I/you guys can come up with, I'll probably give her a sampling of good movies (like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Tokyo Godfathers, Your Name) since I think they typically have good dubs.

Lodoss War, Outlaw Star, most anything by Miyazaki.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Lovely Complex

It also has some of the best faces.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm thinking of binging one of those big animes like Ghost in the Shell, Naruto, Big-O, some sort of Gundam, or One Piece, because I have so much free time now, and absolutely nothing to watch while i play video games.

Which would be best for me?

My favorite Anime is Mononoke (not the ghibli movie)

These I've really enjoyed:

Black Lagoon
Dragonball Z
Yuyu hakusho
Jo Jo (with the season with extremely rude JoJo being my favorite.)
Hellsing was really cool when I was 13
The Dub of Ghost Stories
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Neuro: Supernatural Detective
The 7 Deadly Sins
The Devil is a part timer
That robot one on netflix with the shapeshifting coin operated car
Carol & Tuesday

One Piece is VERY long, but I can give a list of filler to skip with some episodes that are actually worth a watch even though they're filler. But to add a series, Outlaw Star is a solid anime GotG show you might like.

Captain Invictus posted:

The one piece anime past a certain point gets very bad, so the more common recommendation is to read it, not watch it. There's even a colorized version.

Big O might be good for semi-watching, you can just not really focus too hard on it until you hear Roger yell "BIG O, SHOWTIME!" :v:

What point would that be just out of curiosity?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AnoHito posted:

As he should be. Manga Pharaoh was...not a good person. What he did to Kaiba in his first appearance was nothing short of loving evil, for example.

Wasn't Kaiba monstrously evil in the manga as well? Like I remember some stuff about him making the group go through a maze to find the cousin of one of the taller kids before a child killer got him first and destroyed the lives of a bunch of people just to get his Blue Eyes White Dragon cards.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Are there any other shows like Promised Neverland where there's a season arc basically about breaking out of jail? Any sort of Great Escape-style shenanigans or Ocean's Eleven heist twists?

Great Pretender which is currently running. I was amazed by how Ocean's 11 it was. Maybe closer to something like the Sly Cooper games where it's a group of more honorable thieves loving over and robbing way shittier and legit evil criminals.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Indeed...Now back to our regularly scheduled shitposting.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ahobday posted:

I've been watching That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime and I enjoy it a lot. One of the things I enjoy is that there's a relatively serious setting, but the main character is absurdly powerful and this means it's mostly a comedy show because there's not a lot of tension/danger.

Any other recommendations for comedy anime that's got a story-based setting like this? As opposed to comedies that are slice of life or more surreal. Bonus points for something where there's not a lot of tension.

I've tried/am familiar with Konosuba, Gintama, The Devil is a Part Timer.

It's old, but Slayers might work. We're also getting an adaptation of one of the main Slime spinoffs which does more world-building so look forward to that as well.

AlternateNu posted:

Tokyo Godfathers

Second this. Also one of the best drat Christmas movies ever made. Letter to Momo was also very wholesome and good so rec it gets. Mary and the Witches Flower was also made by a bunch of Studio Ghibli alumni so that's another good one.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Are there any anime with the tone of 90s thrillers/dad movies?

Riffs on "The Fugitive", "Double Jeopardy", "Enemy of the State", etc.? Talented, serious, competent folks, pushed to the edge and on the run, getting revenge. Hell, I'd take a legal thriller too. Stuff like "The Firm", "Pelican Brief", and so on.

Just want to luxuriate in that vibe for a while, a whiskey by my side. If there's a government conspiracy that keeps the main character down too, all the better.

Someone correct me, but wouldn't Eden of the East also work as well? And yeahI second Monster and would add 20th Century Boys.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cloks posted:

Hey anime thread, I just started reading manga again after about 10 years and I'm looking for some anime to watch as well.

I'm a big fan of classic shonen, especially Jump stuff but unless an anime is amazingly better than the manga, I'd prefer to read it. I've also just started getting into seinen manga and two that have really struck a chord with me are Goodnight, Pun Pun and Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji.

What I'm really looking for is anime that is:

- Adult in themes, dealing with realistic emotions (doesn't have to be depression anime, doesn't have to be set in modern Japan)

- On the shorter side, nothing longer than 26 episodes at most

- Good

Before anyone recommends it, I have seen LoGH.

Golden Kamuy

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Beartaco posted:

Hi, hope this is the right place to ask about this. I had a DVD sometime in the mid-oughts. It was a film, I think about a pair of siblings in the direct aftermath of either the Hiroshima or Nagasaki bombings. I was reminded of it earlier but I can't remember its title for the life of me and I couldn't turn anything up on Google which was surprising. I was wondering if anyone knew the name of it?

Either Grave of the Fireflies or Barefoot Genji.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gros Tarla posted:

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for all your recommendations (I'm a few posts up)

Had a blast with Gurren Lagann and right now enjoying the hell out of Demon Slayer.

You guys/gals rule!

When you get a chance, check out Redline and Hells Angel both by Studio Madhouse.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DetoxP posted:

I'm not a huge anime person in general - based off friend's recommendations I've tried quite a few (mostly shounen) but always trailed off from losing interest - but then I happened to watch A Place Further Than The Universe and absolutely loved it. I think I liked just the fact that it was heart-warming, somewhat cathartic, and relationship centered rather than action-centered. Just tell me what I should watch based off that please. (I searched the thread and mostly saw this being recommended to people rather than jumping off from that as a starting point). I'm open to sci-fi and fantasy but generally favour stuff that takes place in the real world, historical or not.

Both come out later this year but definently check out,

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi

Faraway Paladin

You may also want to watch

Kaguya-sama: Love is War

Lovely Complex

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Forgot to add these two.

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku

Science Fell in Love and I tried to Prove it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Barakomon is mostly SoL stuff, but it is about a wound up Calligraphy ace looking for inspiration outside of perfecting the basics and "proper" style.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fauxbot posted:

have there been any yuri animes in the vein of Citrus in the last few years? have a soft spot for that style but haven't seen any news on anything noteworthy

It's not anime, but I'll never miss a chance to recommend Tadokoro-san.

Edit: Inugami-san and Nekoyama-san, Don't Become and Otaku Shinosaki-san, Yumeguri Yurimeguri, Hana ni Arashi, Hino-san no Baka.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 12, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fauxbot posted:

thanks for the yuri recs everyone! gives me a good list to check out

There's also GGWP Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games which I believe is getting an Anime soon.

https://mangakakalot.com/chapter/ev923511/chapter_1

The first chapter needs to be experienced.

Kine-san Cinema isn't Yuri per se, but it has a lot of subtext and it's so good that I will not pass on a chance to rec it.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 13, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

anyone got a recommendation for a tablet/good app to read manga on?

What Everything Burrito said. If you don't mind splurging a bit, you can get a pre-owned Galaxy Tab S4 priced between $180 and $260 if you look around and it's a phenomenal buy even if all you use it for is reading(much faster processor and more ram).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Asobi Asobase

Chio's School Road

Dumbbells: How Many Kilos Can You Lift

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying

Bakarina

I know you said they don't necessarily have to be comedies, but these are all too fun to not recommended.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Somali and the Forest Spirit

Dunno if Flying Witch, Witchcraft Works, or Little Witch necessarily fit, but might be worth a look into.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot Faraway Paladin and Otherworldy Pharmacy which are getting anime soon as well as Duke of Death and His Black Maid and Sleeping Princess in the Demon Lord's Castle.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 7, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mentat Radnor posted:

I think Little Witch Academia (TV) is a great rec here, even though it's more of an episodic kids show than the other shows that OP's mom enjoyed.

Yeah I wasn't sure, but it's a great series as are the other two.

I edited my previous post to add

Faraway Paladin

Otherworldy Pharmacy

Duke of Death and his Black Maid

Interview With Monster Girls

Not an anime(yet, someday...), but Witch Hat Atelier is absolutely amazing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Wotakoi. It's about adult nerds who start dating.

Science Fell in Love and Tried to Prove It. Math science nerds fall in love and try to device a scientific proof to prove said love.

Lovely Complex is an iconic classic and frankly THE DEFINITIVE HS romcom.

Kimi ni Todoke is about the unpopular girl who looks like Sadako from The Ring becoming friends and later dating the schools most popular guy and making friends.

My Love Story is amazing. I have no words to describe except that the MC Takeo Gouda is the Alpha Giga Chad all men should strive to be.

Restaurant Paradiso I recall hearing good things about as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glagha posted:

I liked Great Pretender except the last season, because I didn't enjoy the tone shift and the ending was just silly.

Arcsquad12 posted:

They couldn't keep the Engrish going for more than ten minutes so that's an instant fail for me.

I mean the show is alright but I'm not that big a fan of those "how did they do it???" movies besides the two good Ocean's films. Great Pretender reminded me too much of Now You See Me and how much I hated the smug assholes in that movie.

Same to both of these sentiments. Needed more Ocean's 11 vibes to it imo, and less attempt at drama. Also, making the MC's dad involved in human trafficking felt grossly unnecessary as well as the scene where he gets a mini figure of Ieyasu Toyotomi implying he was gonna make it big never really going anywhere.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I started watching this and am about halfway

This one dude's backstory is :stare:

Liking the show though!

The Bird Man right?

Also, I'm trying to find a manga I read some time ago about the post Apocalypse that was similar to Hakumei & Mikochi in that the protagonist was a tiny borrower riding what looked like a furry caterpillar or something to that effect.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

i haven't seen the others but both of these are extremely good

Never saw the Anime, but the manga was indeed extremely good.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the reply. Skimmed through the first ep of Slayers and yeah it seems like something I want to give a chance. It's pretty old but that's fine since my first contact with anime goes back to the weird stuff that certain TV channels in europe would air once a week at night in the 90s. I've actually heard about Lodoss but my brain has saved the "fact" that it has some uncomfortable sex stuff in it so I never bothered to watch. Is that wrong?

Thanks for trying but I don't think it's for me

E: Thanks, was typing and missed yours

After a short search it does look interesting so I might give it a watch later despite of the apparently unfortunate background

I really do not recall any sketchy sex stuff in Lodoss War. Might be confusing it with another. To add to them list, Rage of Bahamut Genesis is really good.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Famethrowa posted:

just finished fma:b and reading Berserk. Any good indie or low profile cosmic horror/occult manga or animep?

There's Mieruko-chan which is getting an Anime soon and there were some amazing adaptions of Lovecraft stories like Color Out of Space.

Not sure if stuff like DURARA, Flying Witch, or Interview with Monster Girls fit what you're looking for, but they all deal with weird occult stuff from time to time. Monsuga as well, but that cranks up the ecchi volume very high.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Anthony Chuzzlewit posted:

Can anyone recommend more quiet post-apocalyptic stuff like Girls Last Tour?

Even If the World Is Over It's Fun to Live
https://mangadex.org/title/d1fa8ce7-ad9d-475d-9311-2a850b1f3336/even-if-the-world-is-over-it-s-fun-to-live

Roaming the Apocalypse with my Shiba-Inu
https://mangadex.org/title/0861e776-968f-4549-847b-7e33c6d6555e/sekai-no-owari-ni-shiba-inu-to

World's End Touring
https://mangadex.org/title/f5c031c8-a9ff-4be1-bb47-d12f3f688bb6/world-s-end-touring

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 18, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tin Tim posted:

Any recommends with a similar setting like Gate? Meaning a clash between a medival fantasy world and our real world

Arc Hammer posted:

You could always play Civ 5.

More on that though, is there an equivalent of Gate that isn't also military fanwank?

Knights and Magic maybe. There's giant robots that run on magic in a pseudo-medieval setting.

The upcoming Slime arc in the LN's(12 to 15 or so)basically IS something out of GATE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Not sure I'd say it's dark comedy, but Chio's School Road is a solid watch similar to Asobi Asobase in that it's about schoolgirls being terrible people in hilarious ways.