Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

is Penguindrum any good?

It has a good reputation here but I thought it was over hyped for what it turned out to be; you may like it but I'm not sure what angle you're coming at it from.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I am completely new to anime. All I've watched is FMA:B. Is anything on Netflix worth watching? I like your typical genre stuff. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror etc.

This is kinda vague but like I said I'm just sorta starting to watch this stuff

Death Note is on netflix I think and that a pretty solid staple anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

K-ON is not set in the future or in space!

I'm working through this slowly, and it is not optimistic and Star Trek-like! :(

More DS9 than TOS.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Riding Bean is cool but gross in the exact same way Gunsmith Cats is gross, which is troubling (the author is gross)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's a real bummer, and going from the OVA to the manga is hosed up; At least you can try and brush aside Minnie May as just being small in the OVA. Reading her backstory and then current story is obscene.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The trigun anime is shooty but it's not very violent, at least for like half the run.

I love the trigun anime but the manga is a much better product. The anime original ending wouldn't even bother me if the last episode wasnt mostly a fuckin clip show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Knorth posted:

That doesn't sound like something that should be a complaint

Torquemadras posted:

Give me violence

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's not very much like berserk; initially I guess it might be a little like the golden age but it lacks any kind of magic or fantastic stuff and the second half of the series is much less blood gore and ultraviolence and it a much more philosophical.

If you wanna interest him tell him it updates on an actual monthly basis and the plot progresses.

EDIT: uh maybe I came at this from the wrong direction. Berserk is ultra violent and grotesque and massive in length and has a very different feel IMO than Vinland Saga. The ONLY thing that remotely berserk-esque in vinland is the horse punch, which is way over hyped and represents very little of what vinland saga is about, and Thorfinn's really hosed up dreams about the people he's murdered (The imagery more than the sentiment, if that gives you an idea of what percentage of VS is like Berserk)

I think you are right and he will probably like it because it's very good and gritty BUT the comparison to Berserk might color his expectations the wrong way and he'll become one of those idiot babies that complained about farmland saga.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 13, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Doesn't gungrave radically change after the first episode?

Trigun's first couple episodes have some good bits but are by far the weakest part of the series (which is to say, it gets much better)

Funny coincidence, Gungrave and Trigun are by the same author, aren't they?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

mabels big day posted:

i really liked the trigun anime, and i've been reading the manga, which is also good. i'm interested to see how the manga goes without the anime ending.

It's very different, and I love it. And I love the show too.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

If you mean Arise, it wasn't terrible but just meh really.

The first episode was really interesting and everyone one after that was mediocre at best

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

You remember the action in the first gits movie but its way slower than its run time would have you believe.

GiTS SAC is very good but its a procedural with an underlaying plot, so episode quality varies as much as the animation quality.

The second season is not as good as the first but the payoff is pretty fantastic.

Psycho Pass is NOT gits nor remotely as actiony but the first season is very solid. The second season is basically a retread of the first with a less adroit writer. The main character is pretty fantastic though and its fun to watch her not give a poo poo about anything ever (shes sorta like a lower key hajime from gatchaman)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I havent seen it, but I also havent looked for it. If it didnt air on one of the streaming sites it might be in fansub limbo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I am going to assume it was produced exactly like the show was without any kind of budget changes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah its more a case of longer, not bigger when it comes to tv movies, especially when it seems like a natural continuation of production, rather than a separate production (like eoe ended up being)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I sure am glad recommending LoGH is passe and pushing k-on constantly is the new fuckin thing to do.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Regarding the psychopass movie, the animation is definitely way above whats in the show, and the gore is pretty intense too. The backgrounds are pretty silly a lot of the time, but thats sorta been the aesthetic for the show as well. Honestly its not much more egregious than some of the funky cg in the second gits movie.

It does however have the same off model problem that production ig bumps into sometimes. For instance, the main gal has big ol hooters in her little sparing match at the beginning of the film, and then literally the next scene, in the shower no less, shes at her normal size, which is pretty weird.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Or any other scene apparently

Edit: the movie was pretty great. Some incredible combat scenes and a much more solid premise than the second season. It also retroactively justifies the second season a bit, in my opinion.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 24, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If I'm not mistaken, heads up on voices from a different star; same dude who did 5 cm, but it's more like a student film than the latter. you will... see what I mean.

It's still sweet but it does have that impediment.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

legend of galactic heroes is really long. does it take like 30 episodes to get going or is there a ton of unnecessary padding or anything like that, or is it just a billion episodes of nonstop quality anime?

It's pretty much great from the beginning, but it is front loaded with character that;ll take you a while to remember. It helps you though, it;ll repeat titles on the screen. If the movies don't grab you hang on til episode 14. There isn't much filler feeling episodes, one or two really.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

is there much action or comedy in it?

A good amount of ship action, occasional extra gory hand to hand combat, I think some of the character are really really funny, but it's less comedy and more wit.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jimbot posted:

How so? I gave up on season 2 after about four or five episodes because it seemed like it was going nowhere new, was just retreading what season 1 already covered but in a worse way and had the most insufferably obnoxious support character. Which, I guess, you could at least say is a plus when every other character has no character or personality.

You aren't really wrong about it retreading the same ground. Mild spoiler for S2 and movie: S2 is a really hard retread of the first season executed at a lower level, which is to say, it's not as good. HOWEVER, I disagree with your assessment of no-one having a character. Akane was really interesting in the first season, and is about the only the interesting thing about the second season, since she's moving into the role of the 'detective'. S2 is not great, but at the same time it's not really BAD either. There is some ridiculous stuff that taken on it's own might be a deal breaker but in the context of the previous season is mostly just a little repetitive, which is almost appropriate if you think of it like a police procedural. all the same, when I finished S2 I thought it was pointless, but after watching the movie, the second season lets the characters breath and exist without Shinya Kogami, who pops back up in the movie. If he popped up immediately after the first season it would feel cheap, but with that breathing room it feels more earned, for me anyway.

So yeah, basically the value the movie gives the second series (IMO) is a way to pass time between the ending of the first series and the movie.

If you aren't interested in at least Akane as a character though it's sort of a pointless exercise head to toe though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It is Literally a Work of Art. Being perfect is not a prerequisite of being art.

(Pluto is basically perfect though)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ippo is a fantastic sports anime and him being in highschool for a very short period of it doesn't really come into it at all except in very beginning (it is not stereotypical anime highschool bs either).

The manga is good for a very long time but the first 72 episodes, the ovas, and the third season are all incredible. I'm not a huge fan of the second season but it's still pretty good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's probs Detective Conan. You should watch lupin the third instead though

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zipang would be really cool if more of the manga was available than the anime OR the anime wasn't animated by a pen taped to a garbage dumpster.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Its blue seed, as was said. The omake are all pretty great and ridiculous.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Blue seed is pretty serious in the main show, sorta standard mildly dark mid 90s action fare. Shorts are silly, sd characters and what not, that one short is the most wall breaky of them (i feel like there was a follow up but i haven't watched em for like a decade)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The anime is kinda fun but doesn't do a lot special to justify it over the manga. For one, the anime ends before the manga I think.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

gunbuster doesn't really "show its age" since it still looks better than the majority of animes today

unless you've got a different meaning of showing age

It's paced in an older fashion and is making tons of references to anime that most people wont recognize today because when they see those references now, they are to Gunbuster.

But it's gorgeous in detail and animation, and if you bail on the first two episodes you are a garbage person, a criminal, and I hate you.

(The movie BR is really, really grainy in a damaged way, though the BR episodes are neat and clean and gorgeous; IIRC the first 4 episodes were printed to 16MM while only the last two were 35MM so the detail on the first 4 eps are a little sparser than the last 2, which are pretty incredible)

Daiguard is not of the same pedigree as Aim for the Top, but it's a fun little anime with a fantastic Op. If it doesn't work for you there's no need to stick with it; it doesn't ramp up in any specifically bombastic way (kokuboguard is fun and fun to say though)

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 19, 2016

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

In broad strokes, style tends to follow trends of the time or accepted practices. As mentioned, this is a negative to people who aren't familiar with it, but it's more intellectually honest to just say you don't like a style rather than a whole era; For instance, some newer shows will make a conscious effort to ape those older styles and people will say it looks ' old' while actually meaning they just don't like that style (they are criminals, but what can you do).

For instance, there is some real garbage in the 90s 'style' that you could point to and say "man I hate the 90s" or whatever but then you find something that's in that style but is also animated very well and it holds up a lot better to scrutiny than the budget rear end shows of that time. There's cheap rear end stuff done in today's 'style' that people will point to in a decade and say they hated the style in the 2010s even when there are fantastically animated shows today.

Given how anime is a pretty arbitrary way to portray a person it being a little one way or a little another way is less important than the animation and care used in its production.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Someone should have told me this before I tried the other day. I really tried. But I hated it so much.

Diebuster is good, you just have to take it as different than a normal sequel. Watching the whole thing also sets at easy the disparities between GB and DB. It's def not as face value pleasing as GB is. It takes a little head work to position it in contrast.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It seems we are getting into "not as good as = bad" which is not really fair.

There are better and less good ghibli films, and ones i enjoy and ones that arent for me, but id be hard pressed to call any *bad*

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I also doubt its deen but the job of licensors is to squeeze cash out of properties so getting fate/deen out there while f/z and fate ubw are super popular would not surprise me much.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nailed it!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love ttgl but hated gaogaigar. I was told it takes about 20 episodes before its not poo poo, which was more than i was willing to invest.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Evangelion 🗣

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

How is Arslan? I loved FMA Broho and I tend to enjoy medieval Fire Emblem/GoT type things.

It's alright. It looks like dog poo poo 90% of the time.

Hope u like cg horse

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Don't waste your time on Age or Seed. Seed is regarded as 'ok' with the first part being dece and the second being trash. Age is regarded front to back as poo poo.

Check out Build Fighters, which isn't strictly a gundam show in the same vein as the others, but is really fun and should be neat with you having watched a bunch of other gundam shows (it's sort of a love letter to the meta series)

X is a pretty good choice; it looks like wing and is a lot like a "what if" Uc show.

If you wanna rewatch Unicorn you might think about holding off, it's supposed to come out as a tv series soon (which is to say, the OVAs will be cut up into episodes with extra material here and there, presumably.)

Also, it's not finished, but Gundam The Origin is a prequel to the original series and it pretty awesome so far. The same for Gundam Thunderbolt; a short episode OVA with 2/4 out so far that's gorgeously animated and a fun little melodramatic one year war story.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pavlov posted:

I think TitS is my new favorite

Me 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

HenryEx posted:

Are there ever bad series with a good ending? (aside from a swift one)

School Days