Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

So it took weeks of reading and watching, but I finally caught up with the thread and the anime both. Dragonball is really good you guys!

Also when the dub aired the episode when Mr. Satan was pulling an epic battle out of his rear end, I loving swore he said lord Beavis instead of Beebus or whatever. It inspired me to draw a thing in MS Paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Black August posted:

I'm kinda sad Black/Zamasu never got permasealed by Mafuba. Seems like a really good punishment, considering how horrific it is to experience going by him and Piccolo Daimao.

I was honestly expecting this to happen when it came up, just because it would be an excuse to have them escape somehow at a later date. This franchise loves giving it's better villains more airtime (Buu, Frieza).

The sad thing about Zen-oh blipping him out of existence is there's no way we'll see them again :(

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Bulma can undo that with time travel, shes more powerful than Zeno. They made a whole new universe for Future Trunks.

I forgot about that.

gently caress GT. After Super I want to see the show Bulma: Queen of the Multiverse, in which she and Bulla solve everyone's problems in a mech suit while using Vegeta for occasional brawn and Jaco for politics

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

^ Thanks!

Also I know the conversation moved past this and apologize, but just want to vomit out my thoughts on Sub 90/Dub 18 before the next episodes air:

First off the dub: Holy poo poo if you appreciate the Funimation actors go watch the dub right loving now. While many people probably like the American dub due to nostalgia or not being a fan of Nozawa's voice, the voicework is so loving good that it's worth watching the episodes again even if you're perfectly happy with the sub. Even the shittier parts of the first saga was made infinitely better by Sabat and Schemmel's voicework, and with that in mind I have high hopes for the second.

Highlights of episode 18 include Vegeta's weirdly whimsical sing-song voice when he's tempting Beerus with a sardine and Goku's higher-than-Nozawa's "WhaaaAAAAAT?!" Also the entire pee sequence. Schemmel is really knocking it out of the park with incorporating Goku's manchild tendencies into his voice acting and I bet he has been taking cues from Nozawa's performance.

Now speaking of voices, onto the sub: I like Nozawa as an actor, and she clearly has the range to make characters sound different (eg: Goku Black), but man I was not a fan of her doing Goku and Gohan both at once. The voices for the two characters are too similar and it was 20 minutes of ATATATATATATATATATATAT

This could be because I feel overwhelmingly meh about adult Gohan, but wasn't a fan of the entire episode. Tien is clearly Jobber Supreme before the tournament even starts and Piccolo did a whole lot of nothing. The fight itself was also not very interesting with Goku and Gohan using a lot of DBZ-era punching loops, but that is probably a necessary evil because they're saving their animation budget for the real fighting in the tournament. It was cool seeing Gohan get back in action and act serious, even if between the orange gi and the "notice me senpai" poo poo he pulled he's clearly still living under his father's shadow. Overall light on story, light on punchmans, meh.

VVV Point taken, spoilers removed :shobon:

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 19, 2017

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I like the american dub beerus better than the japanese one, although they're both good, but the american whis isn't as perfectly aloof as the japanese one.

I think Japanese Beerus is better because he seems to have more range, going from a similar voice to the American one to a really deep, soft and icy voice that sounds terrifying whenever he's really mad. American Beerus just sounds gruff and growly 24/7 without any range. American Whis won me over during the ramen tasting scene though, it's a great fit for the character.

Regarding the spoilers: if this was any other writing team coming up with the spoiler plot point I'd throw up my hands and say "gently caress it, this franchise has jumped the shark, I'm done", but the writing for Super has been insanely good for what it's working with so I'm eager to see how it plays out.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

There's just one fear lingering...I will be legit pissed if Frieza becomes part of the main cast and is New Vegeta. Then Old Vegeta will be demoted to Piccolo, and Piccolo will be demoted to, I dunno, Yamcha.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

One thing to keep in mind is that Saiyan-era Vegeta was pretty much irredeemable too, wasn't he? So spoilerguy could be redeemed in a similar way if they handled it very well and over a long period of time. I seriously hope not though, there are two resident grumpy-Gus former bad guys who deserve the airtime (Vegeta and Piccolo, even though Vegeta's growth as a character is arguably complete).

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

goku and crew seem to be fine with just about anybody as long as they stop being murderous assholes.

I think you're right, but even if he somehow did decide to settle down I don't think Frieza would ever be accepted by the Goku crew because his crimes specifically involved the Saiyans. While you can argue that the Z fighters are a fairly amoral group (because they definitely are), even within the realm of "what killing is cool" Frieza would never be accepted because he wiped out Goku/Vegeta's entire race. It wasn't just his bodycount, but how specifically the body count affects them.

Could you imagine Vegeta feeling anything other than frothing hatred for Frieza, like, ever? If they do go into the Battle Royale I wouldn't be surprised if Vegeta goes into a blind rage, forgets that his entire loving universe is on the line, and just attacks Frieza instead.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

Kale will kill him and get disqualified.

Alternatively this is all building up to Roshi actually legitimately fighting someone like Caulifla/Kale/Ribrianne without any shenanigans but this world isn't perfect.

There's no loving way Roshi will ever have a serious fight with an attractive female character. Even his "training" :gonk: with Puar amounted to nothing.

As someone watching OG Dragonball to kill time between Super releases, I am glad to see him getting some airtime again even though, as a female, some of his scenes literally make me curl into a ball of cringe like I'm guessing how guys do if they watch a scene of someone getting hit really hard in the balls. Even in the original anime his pervert adventures ride a dangerous line between off-color but legit funny (Bulma flushing him down the toilet) and "Jesus Christ someone save that poor girl before he rapes her" (a few Lunch scenes)

I hope that if the preview means that 18 and Krillin ragequit after hearing the truth about the Tournament, that it's all a big setup for my boy Yamcha to come save the day.

EDIT: also there's NO loving WAY the Super crew isn't aware of Abridged after that one Popo scene.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 22, 2017

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

One thing I'm wondering about, is there demand for more female fighters in Japan as well? Between the team rosters and the high priest straight-up saying "women will totally be relevant in this arc" it kinda feels like the show's addressing fan requests.

Also even though she isn't directly involved in the punchmanning, Bulma's role is as large as it was in early Dragonball but in a much more mature way with less fanservice and damsel in distress moments. She holds a ridiculous amount of power for an untrained pure-blooded human. It could be increased demand from female fans. It could also be that this entry into the franchise is being made decades later than the last ones, in the 21st century, with changed sensibilities in mind.

Either way DB has a definite female following and it's really loving cool to see girls actually kick rear end for once. Before this the girls in the show were either nags that served as a "women am I right" joke (Z- era Bulma), kicked rear end for 5 seconds before being demoted to Waifu (Videl), or worst of all both (Chi Chi). I guess 18 is the best example of a fighting girl so far and even she was hit with Waifuitis, but at least got to keep her personality.

What I'm saying is here's hoping Caulifla and Kale kick rear end, stay toe-to-toe with the guys, and don't stop after the tournament to focus on sucking Cabba's dick for eternity.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Rutibex posted:

You are forgetting about Launch and Mai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A4fZMUq5Gk

Launch was always presented as a joke and was constantly humiliated by Master Roshi. The other half of her personality was always an ideal Waifu almost to the point of parody, being shy, demure and helpless, not to mention kind of dumb. Also her other half was a "crazy bitch", not a deeply explored action girl character.

Mai kind of counts, but she was a bumbling henchman and never a "main" side character like the others. Future Mai definitely counts but again, that's Super era.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

reignofevil posted:

You know what.

I'd be entirely okay with this development so long as Jaco had a little button to send Frieza back to hell to keep him in his role as "deputy".

This would be amazing.

To keep Frieza in line Bulma forcefeeds him the same pill she made Oolong eat in Dragonball but makes the trigger word "monkey", so not only does Jaco have complete control but if Frieza ever tries to mock Goku again he violently shits himself

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that Frieza is biologically capable of pooping
:goonsay:

Look in this franchise we have the same humanoid body plan in the entire universe, hell, in MULTIPLE UNIVERSES. Countless planets that grew sentient life, and they all have the same exact body plan as human beings with little poo poo glued on like tails or wings as the most dramatic variation.

The grand lesson the franchise is trying to teach us, one we should take to heart dearly, is that everybody poops

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Maybe they come from a planet with multiple animal species but they are all purple and hairless, like how Earth has dozens of hairless humanoids.

I'm glad Pride Trooper bunny is a rabbit rather than a Beerus clone, it's more interesting.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Hey um I don't want to poo poo up this thread with off-topicness, but is there a place on SA to discuss Xenoverse 2? I didn't see a Games chat in thread search and this thread appears to be just for the TV show.

Do I have to go...off the forums...for talk about the game? :ohdear:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Thanks everyone for the link to the Games thread :)

Caros posted:

He doesn't yet realize the type of tournament or how hosed up the stakes are. Give it time.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if one of the pre-tournament filler episodes is Vegeta coming to terms with the situation and flipping the gently caress out and trying to kill A) Goku B) Frieza or C) both. While Vegeta has grown a lot as both a person and a warrior, he still shows little patience for Goku's Gokuing. I'm sure his already short fuse is going to blow up by learning his wife and children's life is on the line AND he has to work together with the dictator that murdered his entire race, all because of Goku's fight boner.

That "Zen-oh would have eventually anyway" poo poo isn't going to fly with him.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Roshi should have taken 10 minutes to learn how to fly. It only took Videl an afternoon and she could barely control her Ki.

I don't know if this is filler/a throwaway gag but I think Roshi doesn't want to fly because

1) it's a Crane School thing and

2) He hates flying, at least in an airplane. But then he is okay spinning around on his Koopa shell because ???

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

^^^ I wonder if Frieza will be bribed into helping another universe out in exchange for both getting a wish and erasing Goku and friends. Considering his choices are to either be revived in shame or rot in hell, it makes sense for him to ditch for another universe if that were possible.

This episode was really cool. Goku and Frieza's interactions felt tense and I love team low self-esteem Super Saiyan :3: I really hope we see more of those 3 after the tournament arc is over.

The weakest part to me was how quickly the other Z fighters went "Frieza? K". I understand why, most likely because the writers have many more important subplots to focus on, but seriously loving Krillin was the only true voice of reason. Even Vegeta acted lukewarm.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

TFS will not do Super stuff (besides the little one minute clips here and there) because of legal trouble. The only reason they can do old DBZ is because the show/footage is old, whereas Super is much newer and more profitable.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Got another dumb side episode after this whole Universal Survival thing: Goku finally pushes ChiChi over the edge to consider ending their marriage and its up to Vegeta to play LOVE DOCTOR and Marriage Councilor to save Kakarot from his own stupidity.

Already happened kind of, only instead of Vegeta counseling Goku it's random con nerds:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=91c3wL0Ke8I

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Every single time I look up Super stuff on the internet this week I see this goddamned thing.

And every single time I lose my poo poo all over again

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

New episode is hype as gently caress. I am rooting for Orc universe because holy poo poo, that guy looks straight out of WoW. I'm loving all of these crazy designs and am going to be bummed if the losing universes are not asspulled out of permanent erasure.

I think that the U7 interactions before they departed aren't getting enough love. Not only was the Vegeta and Frieza interaction hilarious, but it was cool seeing him be reminded of Trunks and Bulla and the last shot of him looking down at Bulma. It feels like he has more at stake than anyone else. Beneath that tough guy act, he really loves his family :3:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Caulifla is such a bitch! Not like my submissive perfect waifu Kale
:goonsay:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

As someone with art training I am usually the last person on earth to go "it's just his style, okay?!" to off-model art but seriously, he clearly just wanted to draw a swole Beerus. It is my least favorite of his DBZ drawings, though. I think the musculature is fine but the face doesn't look Sphynx-ish enough.

I think that some people who draw Beerus don't realize that he was based on a Sphynx or Rex cat or something similar, as those are fairly obscure cat breeds. Even the animators gently caress up Beerus sometimes, in episode 82 he sometimes looked like Scooby Doo lol

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

It's too adult for this show, but between the tournament action a slice of life cut to Yamcha getting progressively drunker at Bulma's place while slurring that he could be a better man to her than Vegeta is would be amazing.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

sharktamer posted:

it wouldn't

Ok, Puar :colbert:

Yamcha wants to be in the tournament because he's always been confident and had a fighting spirit, just ever since about the Namek saga he doesn't have enough skill to kick rear end Saiyan style. This may have been Z filler, but remember how happy he was when a fight broke out in his pro baseball team?

But seriously, I'm hoping that Yamcha gets to do something. Still holding out hope that the Japanese VA tweet means he'll get some filler action on Earth while the tournament goes on. I'd honestly rather see Yamcha shine than watch the 3 kids stopping poachers, that was already kind of boring when 17 and Goku did it. Yamcha's clearly not too weak for a tournament that brings Master loving Roshi along, so something else is probably up.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

I'm a little sad that B Team immediately grouped up to have less consiquential mini-fights just like the same group has, more or less, done since Dragonball. I was hoping for more solo action from some of those guys. Then again, this is the very first episode and a lot can still happen. Also 18 you ditched Krillin at the first opportunity, ice cold :stare:

Other observations - I'm surprised the furries actually held their own, was expecting them to job immediately. Also as interesting as Jiren is I really hope they can stop sucking Goku's cock long enough to give the side characters and new enemies time to breathe. So far so good, but I'd be happy with even less Goku Time. The sumo pig was fun and that orc looked like it was teleported in from Orgrimmar. Also Caulifla's voice actress is incredible :allears:

I'm glad that this tournament is clearly running on Namek Time because there are so many entertaining characters!

EDIT: mixed up Cabba and Caulifla

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 2, 2017

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

cabba's pretty scrawny and caulifla's a noodle. they're a little weird looking and took some getting used to for me

kale looks alright tho

I'm pretty sure their rail-thin designs are because the U6 bunch are supposed to be teenagers? In which case it's the first Toriyama Saiyan teen design that actually makes sense, as opposed to suddenly going from roidchild to roidman without any transition like every Saiyan not named Gohan has done. Teens have lanky, awkward body proportions that are still somewhat childlike and their muscles haven't filled in yet. Then again, we never get any clue as to how old they actually are. They could be young adults and all U6 Saiyans just happen to be thinly built but incredibly powerful. Cabba mentioned a family when Vegeta was dissing him but it could very well be brothers and sisters instead of a wife and kids. I'm thinking they're teenagers because that one old dude Cabba talked to right before recruiting Caulifla looked like a grown man.

Anyway, as a female I think Caulifla is pretty cool but it's Kale who's really interesting. Yes she's Brolina, but her timid nature and the way she's probably going to get pushed into berserk mode is way more interesting than KAKAROOOOOOOTTT! :byodood: Considering Videl became a brainless waifu and the only slightly interesting female these days is Bulma, I'm just so loving happy to see TWO powerful female fighters.

I think the ToP losers poofing back into their benches is just more proof that the loser universes aren't actually going to get erased into oblivion and they're going to instead get asspulled into surviving as one big universe or something.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

This was the Dragon Ballsiest episode and I really appreciated the callbacks in Krillin's fight with the scent thing and using an energy blast to ring back in. That said, RIP Krillin :( There was fierce competition for the title of Bald Yamcha with Roshi and Tien around, but now Krillin is confirmed for that spot. At least he and 18 got some cool moments in.

I loved all the other little touches like Frieza straight up saying "gently caress the Zen-Os, I'm gonna rule them someday", Supreme Kai's creepy face moment, Vados sassing Champa and Winnie the Pooh Voltron. This arc rules and I can't wait to see Kale next episode :allears:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Bald Yamcha is and always will be Tien.

Tien has accomplished gently caress-all. Krillin at least made something of his life.

I still think Krillin is Yamcha-ier just because his primary roles are to be 1) the lowest tier of Z-Fighter jobber and 2) the male damsel in distress who only gets significant airtime to lose/die dramatically and set Goku off (this arc being the exception, of course). Tien is also in the lowest tier of jobber, but he just doesn't give off that helpless vibe Yamcha and Krillin do when they're outmatched. Speaking of jobbers, Z-fighter B team's turtle-up strategy has been boring so far and I hope that Piccolo gets to break away and do something cool besides be Gohan's meatshield.

Regarding the next episode I wouldn't be surprised if one of the U6 Saiyans gets a U7 Saiyan ringout next episode...Kale destroys Vegeta maybe? With the way Vegeta has been basically jacking himself off by calling himself "sama" he's practically begging to have a humiliating defeat. As he does.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I think we'll see another situation where Gohan does something loving amazing and kicks a lot of rear end, but then Goku still gets the finishing blow and wins the loot roll.

Vejobber talks trash before getting humiliated, Gohan has a moment of awesome and ~great potential~ before loving it up somehow, Goku comes in and mops up. Also somewhere along the line, one or several members of the B team will die or get seriously injured.

The formula hasn't changed much since the first tournament in Dragonball and probably won't, which is why it's extra funny when people whine about Super being OMG NOTHING LIKE MY PRECIOUS Z! (Disclaimer: I love Z and also find it precious)

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Speaking of Trunks, man his adult voice sounds so much more...gravelly? Raspy? Than the original Funi dub. It does fit considering he's Vegeta's son and all but man, hearing him in XV2 was weird. Then I realize that the Funi dub was 20 goddamn years ago and it's no wonder he sounds different.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I feel like a lady Frieza wouldn't really look all that different from a male one.

I assume that since Frieza and co. have gecko feet and gecko tails, they have gecko junk too so the females wouldn't have tits and would otherwise look like males. XV2 has no female Frieza body, but a couple of voice options sound female (or close enough?)

King Cold laid Frieza's egg himself, but Frieza said parentS (he said mother in dub only, but did say parents as in plural) so who knows? And for that matter who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Zamasu chopped down all the Kai trees while laughing maniacally

• Locked thread