Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't "get" One Piece. My wife and I have taken to watching One Punch Man and Hunter x Hunter on Toonami late on Saturday nights and we can't stand anything we've seen in One Piece. The last episode was the long nosed guy voiced by Krillin's voice actor using a slingshot to fight some flying clown chick with a stupid laugh (a-hur hur hur or something like that) while Luffy was fighting a bowling pin shaped vampire. Dumbest poo poo I've ever seen..

I'm right there with you.

By all rights I should like one piece, it's written expertly, has a fantastically original story, great pacing and interesting locations but... Meh.

I must have tried reading the manga half a dozen times but every time I get a few arcs in and just find myself frustrated by how busy the page work is (the anti-kubo) and how wacky the whole world is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

How did this DBZ/One Piece connection even get started? They seem to team up on a lot of games. The tiny bit I've watched makes me feel like One Piece would be utterly outclassed by DBZ.

Oda, the artist for one piece grew up adoring toriyama. When he made it big that allowed him the chance to work with his idol, which he does basically every chance he gets. Jump does it because one piece and dragonball are their top ever series.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I can't get into One Piece because I found Luffy insanely profoundly dislikable and the story REALLY depends on me liking him. I love the wacky world, I enjoy some of the art style (he's awful at ladies), I think the creative cartoony fights are great just... gently caress Luffy.

Luffy honestly scares me. At one point in their series there is a comedy scene where they kill a talking animal and cook it for the crew. Ever since then I have been convinced that the only thing keeping Luffy from eating people is the taste.

Caros
May 14, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

hahaha Oozaru Broly is in this. The single dumbest possible villain

Certainly you meant to say 'loving awesomest'. It's like you can't even imagine yourself being twelve again and hearing about it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Beerus atomizing that punk was great. Specially the conversation about whether or not that fixed the timeline and the preview tells us that it didn't :allears:

I'm sad Beerus wasn't in the future preview. He is going to be so immensely sour about his god powers not working that it will be wonderful.

Also I have to say I love the time reversal thing this episode. It was a really interesting use of it that I didn't even consider they'd wait for absolute, unequivocal proof before jumping into action.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Raxivace posted:

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUK/status/785874296279273472

So I guess "Goku Black" is the official English name now.

Keep in mind the original xenoverse referred to SSJ Blue as super saiyan God super saiyan. Translations etc change.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rodyle posted:

the movies don't fit into canon

Movie five is one of the only two that do fit into canon if you stretch it a little.

It would fit after trunks arrives but before the androids do. The only thing that doesn't fit is them mentions of king cold which you could arguably chalk up to Cooler not having been informed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's not going to work.
It didn't even work on Piccolo Daimao.

So that's how they'll get around it, 'cos it won't work.

The whole reason Piccolo Daimao went around killing martial artists and pissing off Goku is because he got trapped in a rice cooker by the Mafuba. It would have worked the second time too if Master Roshi had better aim.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So, yea, it didn't work.

Except, you know, the first time when it trapped him for so long that the existence of a creature thst nearly drove humanity to extinction became a myth.

Caros
May 14, 2008

She looked annoyed after hitting him, so she was probably aiming for his head and missed. But ultimately, her missing likely put him in much greater harm than actually hitting him in the face.

If what we have seen in super is any indication the bullet probably would have obliterated his skull, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I feel like the Ningen's thing is getting even more rediculous than usual in that chapter.

:geno: - drat you humans.
:colbert: - That is a motherfucking dinosaur-man.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

people keep saying this like Buu is going to do anything other people ask him to do

Buu is a little shitlord he doesn't play nice with anyone

Its also worth mentioning that Fatass has never demonstrated the ability to absorb people. Absorption was something the evil, super and kid versions did, but Mr. Buu is never shown absorbing anyone. Considering he is an offshoot its possible he lacks the ability to do so entirely.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

Cabba reappears during the multiverse tournament arc to show off his new form: SSJ4.

Vegeta proceeds to bitchslap the poo poo out of him for such a stupid transformation.

Caros
May 14, 2008

It might be the last time we see it... this year.

The Final Final Kamehameha of 2016

They attempted to kamehameha sky zamasu.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Just like with chi-chi.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wow I thought TFS made that up.

Team four star know the absolute poo poo out of their dragonball history.

Caros
May 14, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

I particularly liked TeamFourstar's review on the Shadow Dragons

"The overuse of the Dragon Balls over the last 30 years has corrupted them, releasing a force of destruction that perverts the cornerstone of the entire series, turning their prized Macguffin into their final challenge...
(beat)
HOW COULD YOU GO WRONG!?"

Really the amount of wrong the Shadow Dragon arc had is just mind boggling. You have 7 Dragons, then on the competent Z fighters at that point you had Goku + Vegeta + Gohan + Majuub + Goten + Trunks + Pan = 7.

One Z fighter for each Dragon. This poo poo practically writes itself.

Hell, they could have had Goten and Trunks fight a pair of dragons that eventually fuse together and bring an adult Gotenks into the series.

Majuub could have had an actual fight.

But no, instead all fighters whose name was not "Goku" decide "welp, this poo poo is beyond our abilities, we will leave everything in your hands Son, even if the stakes involve the end of the universe" till they eventually decide "welp, actually we do care about helping, too bad we made our mind right when you were fighting the strongest dragon against who we truly are incapable of helping and now you are worn out from fighting the other 6".

Seriously, people say Super is the "Goku and Vegeta Show", but GT was the "Goku and Goku's helpless niece Show".

Pan is his grand-daughter. Come on.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The Destructo Disk has to cut Freeza vertically instead of horizontally.

Honestly surprised that worked, considering Freeza survived planetary implosion and Cooler tanked getting thrown into the sun.

Frieza was 'alive' as a pile of minced flesh. Just saying.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah doing both is unnecessary, hell it already drags a bit as it is.

It helps smooth the power curve a little. Makes it so black isn't capable of going toe to toe with Super Saiyans in his regular form.

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine because it's not really easy to fit in. There's no clear place for Black to get a second upgrade pacing-wise.

Honestly the Anime pacing for this part of the arc was kind of hot garbage, and I think the manga version is actually doing a more solid job keeping the relative strength of characters consistent, for whatever that is worth in dragonball. Vegeta fights Black with both of them in Super Saiyan on relatively even terms. Vegeta busts out SSB first and nearly kills the poor bastard. Black is healed up by Zamasu and (maybe) gets a Zenkai out of the bargain at which point he will go SSB to be able to compete with the top level form.

Honestly better than him fighting on par with Super Saiyan 2, getting randomly stronger for no reason to be able to fight on par with SSB in his base form, then Rose makes him stronger, but Vegeta gets stronger after going back to the present etc etc.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Quite enjoyed the Super manga take on things this time out. Extremely different, sure, but it's quite cool nevertheless.

It hits the same notes, but honestly I think the manga has done this part better than Super did. It gets to the point faster, gives the heroes a chance to shine and makes Black's random powerups make a little bit more sense.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I know that, but Cabba's isn't ギャリック砲 (Gyarikku-Ho), it's ギャリックキャノン (Gyarikku Kyanon) I believe. Both Heroes and Xenoverse categorize them as two different techniques, although the description for Cabba's in XV2 is literally

So uhh...it's the same but renamed slightly.

Mirror universe goatee version. Duh.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So what did team four star get you guys for christmas? Because they gave me these blue dragon balls.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Part two is out before new years by the by. So it isn't a huge wait.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Gohan is barely 12 at this point in this series. The Dende stuff didn't really bother me on Namek, but in his coming back they took that one joke and hammered it in 1000 times over.

The joke is funny as a light touch; any more than that and it's just awkward.

I think you'll find Gohan is clearly a teen.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Parrotine posted:

That's one of the big benefits of having God Ki; energy blasts don't do a drat thing except create a colorful dust storm. It happened when Vegeta shot that gently caress-off blast to Beerus, it happened when Frieza fired off a volley strong enough to nuke a planet at Goku; both completely unphased by it.

It just doesn't work period. If you're juicing on God Ki and you fire a blast, that's another story...

This is also why I'd say Golden Frieza couldn't kill Buu when you think about it; it took an entire planets worth of life forms to pony up the energy needed to decimate Buu, something not possible to manufacture from a single fighter.

Unless Frieza's got a Spirit Bomb technique, he's gonna have to rely on blunt contact force to get the job done

Golden Frieza is able to go toe to toe with SSB Goku. We know this version of Goku is at or above Vegetto since that was the strongest Z era fighter and it was plainly stated that Vegetto wouldn't be enough to fight Beerus while SSB is.

Vegetto clowned the strongest version of Buu and could have killed him at pretty much any time. There is no reason to think that golden Frieza would be unable to kill Buu excepting absorbion on Buu's part.

Caros
May 14, 2008

sassassin posted:

Tien fought and killed a Saibaman before Yamcha's fight.

I think you will find that while Tien slapped it around something fierce, it was Vegeta who blew up Vegeta junior.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Doesn't Bojack explicitly get released when King Kai's planet explodes?

Yeah, though he isn't trapped inside the planet, despite the TFS joke. He was trapped by the kaio's and when King kai dies it frees him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I just caught on the third one, it's amazing
"there's two of Zamusu?"
"The one inside of Goku Black is the Zamasu of our world, and if that Zamasu traveled to Trunks' world after getting Goku's body... Then there would be two Zamusu in that world"
"That Zamus there is the original one of this world!"

Also Vegeta is just straight-up reading the script, he makes way too many spot-on assumptions based on nothing.

...wait. If Goku and Vegeta can't zenkai because they reached the limits of their bodies... why would Goku Black be able to Zenkai? it's the same Goku body that went through most of the same poo poo.

Something something God inhabiting something something.

It didn't make any sense in the anime either. At least here they show black getting healed up for his Zenkai instead of randomly powering up in the middle of a losing fight.

Caros
May 14, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

I want Nerd Dad Gohan to fight an alternate universe Gohan that didn't skip training

And I want Nerd Dad Gohan to win just to spite the salty mofos that won't shutup about Gohan skipping his training and becoming weak

Nerd Gohan would probably still clown the poo poo out of future Gohan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

New episode is out.

Universe ningen level is the new power level.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

About the new episode:

Goku is in total Cell games mode with Gohan here. I love that Goku's go to solution for "Gohan needs to be stronger" is to just throw him to the wolves.

How did no one predict a draw for this fight? It seems kind of an obvious ending in retrospect. Although it's still bullshit, Gohan was totally the last man standing.

Nice.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

He could be manipulating the universes for his own end in some way which retains him being effectively god.

He wants to have Zeno destroy five universes so that they are left with seven. Then he will renumber them, and use the remaining universes to summon super shenron God super shenron to wish to be a super angel.

Then Goku will punch him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Adder Moray posted:

They're destroying 7 so they're left with 5...

I thought they exempted six. Shows the gently caress that I know.

One star is zero's pocket dimension and the four star is the earth four star Dragonball. Done.

Caros
May 14, 2008

-Fish- posted:

In-fiction he has incentive to do that. Going overboard with Kaio-Ken fucks up his body royally, enough that he probably gets a pretty sizeable Zenkai from it.

Not that that was likely taken into consideration for this.

Yinlock posted:

man i'm so glad the zenkai concept got ditched

One of the good things from the Super manga is it explicitly has Trunks pointing out that the Saiyans no longer benefit from Zenkai, and that Zamasu only does so due to the weird intermingling of Zamasu with Goku's body.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

The tournament takes place over 2 days, I think the arena is going to be really huge. Like the size of a continent. Large enough that you could stay near the center and Hit would not have enough time to run to the edge and dump you.

Its 48 minutes, not 48 hours.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Twist: the time keeper is Frieza

It was already established that the gods use a different time scale than filthy Ningen. Who knows how long a Zeno minute is.

The original measurement was 100 tak which Whis explained is 48 earth minutes. Are you just commenting without watching or something? Because this poo poo got explained.

Caros
May 14, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I grew up with Saiyan instead of Saiyajin but no matter what I still find myself abbreviating Super Saiyan with SSJ.

That has always been the usual english shortening I think. Probably has a lot to do with nazi SS connotations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

God the 28 planets thing is dumb. Beerus has casually wiped out 1/15th of all life sustaining planets in the galaxy on screen in Dragonball Super.

Caros
May 14, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I figure even a freshly born Cell(at least once he's molted to his first humanoid stage) is still probably at least as strong as a standard Super Saiyan, and that's without any training(and considering he's got both Saiyan and Freiza genes in him, training would probably be very effective)

Also I figure Bulma would have planned ahead and programmed out any urges to eat 17 or 18, or to drink people for the most part, also Bulma could probably replicate the parts in 17 and 18 that Cell needs to achieve perfection if needed

And lastly the idea of an 8 foot tall bug man with a creepy voice being one of the nicest guys around is just too rich in potential

Feed him 17 and 18. Beat the poo poo out of him until he vomits them both up. Force him to self destruct. Bam, you have perfect cell and both androids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

That's a bit needlessly traumatic for everyone involved

Pfft, you don't know that. According to 17 it is downright tubular up inside cell.

Edit: the real question is what would happen if he absorbed them again at that point.

• Locked thread