Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Only people who are English as a secondary language but typing in English are actually posting in dub!!!!!

Minähän en mitään dubbia kyllä postaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spidder posted:

Was there really a need for for a different version, though? I mean, it's not like it's an anime full of japanese cultural references that would fly over western folks' heads or anything. It was already primed and ready for a western audience without any 'three eyed cowboys', 'brilliant scientists' and everyone sounding like a Wrestlemania character.

Also, it may have seemed like a good idea marketing-wise at the time. But in the long run they've shot themselves in the foot. Now there's an entire generation of DBZ fans (the Absalon crowd) that are under the impression that the franshice is something different than what it actually is, and as a result hate Super.

If DBZ didn't have a dub it wouldn't have even a fraction of its American audience

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

How is Mr. Satan gonna explain not getting invited to the Multiverse Tournament.

Hell, WHY wasn't Mr. Satan invited to the Multiverse Tournament?

It wouldn't be fair to the other universes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

does it matter that much to people that someone doesn't like abridged

Yeah really weird that people would reply to a forum post that they disagree with

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Beerus needs to get laid.(and then have a kid, gently caress off to Space for a while and become a Super God, come back .... )

Also Beerus is anime Galactus , he's not evil just a cosmic gear in the metaphysics of the universe. Is Goku evil for eating meat?

Actually he's evil.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That new manga with that guy possessing Yamcha's body is the only true canon

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

The ratio was way different.

The three episodes Vegeta's Final Flash took involved very little friendship and his attitude towards family was one of neglect/active harm.

Fortunately the series got a lot better after that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WrathOfBlade posted:

Super is an inescapably different show because it's filling in time between the Buu saga and the epilogue, and there's a status quo they can't stray too far from.

They could easily just handwave that away

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Not in the universe, no way. There's at least 3 other galaxies worth of people that are probably as strong as buu saga goku.

Beerus did a piss poor job of finding fighters for the tournament vs. champa then since Piccolo was on the team.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 11, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

A tommy gun would be 100X more effective than any weapon in star wars.

That is in fact a plot point in the Star wars EU

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slugthrower/Legends

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lupus Rufus posted:

why are we blaming Goku when it was Zeno who decided to make the awful rule of "you lose ur universe dies"??

Asking an insane murder-god for things isn't exactly a great idea

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Didn't Gohan invent Masenko? I mean its just a generic Ki blast, but he did give it a name :shrug:

Giving it a name makes it more powerful

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hohoh0 posted:

Different shot of fembroly

Not buff enough

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dying isn't even a hindrance in the Dragon Ball universe though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Nah, Cell totally lost that fight, he just threw a fit at the end and tried to take the whole world down with him.

He would have survived though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, but he didn't know he would.

I don't see how that matters

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

It matters because as far as Cell was concerned, he was dead. He lost. So he chose suicide.

If in the middle of your fight with some rear end in a top hat, you beat the poo poo out of the rear end in a top hat and the rear end in a top hat pulls a gun and blows their own brains out, you won that fight. It doesn't matter if that rear end in a top hat then gets back up and realizes he's immortal.

If it ends with him being alive with the others dead, it does matter.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I bet Cell has a really high mortal level

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

My point is, Frieza did not lose because of his own poor planning. All of his plans worked. Frieza didn't not lose to Goku, he lost to Whis, and thats not something he could have planned for. Even after Frieza was "exhausted" he was able to disintegrate the Earth in an instant (way faster than he was able to before). He knew he could take them by surprise by blowing up the Earth fast, and he was right.

By that logic Goku lost to the dweeb with the laser thingy, not Frieza.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Golden Freeza is stupid.

All of the best things in Dragon ball are stupid.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I imagine the people that decided to collaborate with team 4Star are not the same people that collect the corporate profits and royalties.

Really dumb move too, as if that will keep it off Youtube. People will just re-uplaod that poo poo forever. They can't even stop straight rips of their DB Super episodes from going up 2 seconds after broadcast, why specifically target a fan project? It accomplishes nothing, and makes Toei look like assholes.

It's a japanese company, they aren't very good at this internet thing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aurora posted:

I like the Persona thing because it means I can stay spoiler-free

I fail to see how people streaming or let's playing P5 would make it harder for you to stay spoiler free. It's not like you are forced to watch them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

The only reason I know it's out is because of the controversies.

Call of Duty didn't end up losing any sales.

Internet activists matter way less than they imagine to real world balance sheets.

Persona V won't flop because they messed with the rights of internet streamers.

Nobody said Persona is gonna flop because of this. It's just going to get less word of mouth going since people can't watch other people play it. There is a reason other publisher don't forbid this stuff, it's free advertising.

An LP is the reason I'm a Persona fan.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do people actually look at youtube recommendations?

If you can't avoid looking at them and often see spoilers in them just get one of those things that block the recommendations wholesale.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Because eating people for their power is loving horrific. Nail only did it because it was that or death and he wanted to save the planet (it didn't).

It's very appropriate for a horror series like dragon ball

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 7, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Gohan needs to tell Piccolo that they don't have time for training.

We're already in the light activity period before a meet.

If the world works on Namek time now they have plenty of time to do plenty of stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

We are privy to those in the sense that if something doesn't appear in both products then it's not going to have been in the story outline.

If Toyotaro doesn't use SSBKK or 28 planets then it's obviously junk Toei came up with (that will never actually matter to the main plot), no better than Cell tanking a Destructo Disk, Vegeta blowing up a bug planet, Tien being an actual assassin and Yamcha beating up the Ginyu Force.

Nobody cares about Toyotaro

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Toriyama says nice things about him.

His Future Trunks/Black issues are better than the show.

It sure is a shame the show is more canon then

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vegeta is non-canon

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dying and being able to train 24/7 was a really hard sacrifice to make for Goku

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

"piccolo is a good dad" aka a celebration of child abuse

Child abuse seems to work pretty well in the DB universe

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Why worry about studies and getting a good job, when you can see the universe and blow poo poo the gently caress up as a god of destruction? Gohan should be the real star in this

I would definitely rather do the first option if possible

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Beerus isn't a much worse monster.

Beerus does his job, which to us is morally unjustifiable but he's also a literal God who is beyond the confines human morality. If he doesn't do it, he'll be killed and replaced by something or someone who will do it and perhaps more wantonly.

All of those justifications are poo poo and don't make it any better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is a Star Wars character, if you are looking for deep characters you are in the wrong franchise.

The guy with light sabers on his knees ( and everywhere else) was extremely deep

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Caros posted:

Power Levels, as in the thing you get from scouters never were. In universe power scaling? It made sense within the rules given.

The rules given being "what is convenient for the plot at the moment"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blue Star posted:

LOL look at this obvious troll, so obvious. :)

Anyway, i want to see Freeza fight Hit and Hit get his poo poo kicked in. Then Frost would be like "Whoa!" because Freeza would have done what he could never do no matter how hard he trained. And then Freeza would see the Universe 6 Saiyans, look at Frost and go "Why arent they dead?" Then Frost would be like "...Why would I kill--URK!!", he wouldnt even finish his sentence as Freeza puts a death beam through his chest. He'd survive of course but Freeza would be like "You're not even a shadow of me. Let me show you how poo poo is done" and then he kills Kaulifaa and Kale and Cabba and theyre gone forever.

Nice fanfic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like appealing to authority when you judge someone's horrendous acts to not be evil doesn't really work when the authority is a fickle child who erases universes on a whim

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hjalmar posted:

Beerus is just a self-serving creature who, until very recently, hasn't had to deal with the consequences of his actions. He's not evil, just completely undisciplined. Whis sure as heck isn't cracking down on him, and uses the time-rewind on anything Beerus might actually have to take responsibility for.

I don't really see how that precludes him from being evil

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Cats aren't evil.

Depends on the cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBX posted:

Imagine if black people could point to one person, let's use Hitler, who was responsible for our slavery, killed my father for no reason, and nearly killed the entire race. And you guys think any of that screams "redeemable".

Holding a God to rules of a mortal is where you're messing up.

And let's not get started on Buu. That a huge reach calling him the most evil.

Zamasu was a god too. Was he not evil then?

There is very little difference between gods and mortals in DB and attributing a different morality to them for no good reason is a huge cop out.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 26, 2017

• Locked thread