Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
:firstpost:

Is it cool to post single pictures from otherwise terrible series like people did from time to time last thread or are we trying to avoid that now?

Either way I'll start with a great manga that, while probably somewhat well known, is much overshadowed by the creator's next work.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro made by the same person as Assassination Classroom.

It's part mystery, part shounen battle manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There was the first time I looked but he seems to have edited it out. :confused:

Maybe he was leeching or something.

Anyways, one of my favorites from the last thread was the all too short

Hoshi no Ponko to Toufuya Reiko

though I dislike that trope of "well, it's a clone of someone so it's just as good right?

e: Oh yeah note there's a few NWS pages in it.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 16, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can we have a rule that if you're posting more then one page, tinyurl it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Bokurano is the anti-Gurren Lagaan.

or comedy answer

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kin posted:

Bokurano is amazing but will bum you right the gently caress out.

Bokurano in a nutshell:

:siren: massivee ol' spoilers:siren:
http://i7.mangareader.net/bokurano/60/bokurano-277537.jpg

Watch the anime afterwards, it's slightly (SLIGHTLY) less depressing.

The light novels aren't really worth tracking down, they're not as good as the anime/manga and most of the 'translations' floating around are completely wrong.

I think it's the only manga I've read where I thought "man I wish the ending pulled a deus ex machina."

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 19, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't Bokurano the one where they're horsing around on top of the giant robot and someone just falls right off and dies

No, that's something else.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

you're gonna ruin it, shut up nerd!!!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Droyer posted:

I think it is mean to lie to others about anime.

Nobody falls off and then dies, though, so you're the one who is lying. :smuggo:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
First they came for the anime

then my life lost all meaning

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's a goon character, he thinks he's smart and well spoken but really has no idea how to talk or act at all. Seems legit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't really care that you don't like'em. If you're going to whine, by all means, post better examples.

Maybe better examples would be easier to find if what you posted convinced anybody.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Franken Fran. comedy/horror manga, if you can't tell.

Fraken Fran is completely horrifying but I couldn't help but read the entire thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
i think the translator is a helck-like super being, he translates like 10 chapters every time I check.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Davincie posted:

fly, daddy, fly
a short story of a salaryman becoming a better person and taking revenge against the one that attacked his daughter

Fun fact: It's based on a book/movie.

e: Actually maybe the manga came out first, I haven't read it!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What's it called?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
whats it calll:unsmigghh:

HenryEx posted:

Nickelodeon is some good poo poo. Lunch at Columbine (ch14) and Contract (ch20) are among my favorite short stories.

That was not what I expected.

frog curse was uh, a thing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 23, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Davincie posted:

you know all those sci fi books, movies and games where humans gently caress with an alien they shouldn't have hosed with, send in the marines and get slaughtered?

here they gently caress with about 20 different kinds of aliens

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I couldn't really get into Helldivers.

Sorry about your bad taste.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You aren't the first to tell me this.

I can get not liking helldivers, there's a lot of things I don't like about it but it's one of the few local co-op games I have. :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Off to a great start.

CubeTheory posted:

People who think Helldivers is good should play Earth Defense Force and see what a real game is like.

Third person shooter with 2 person local co-op =/= top down action game with 4 player co-op.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Odd title.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Bitter Change is v. good, and the only worthwhile body swap manga i've ever found. I only have two small problems with it.

1. The translators don't scanlate the magazine scans, only the finished volumes, so you have to wait an agonizing half a year between chapter batches
2. I wish the mangaka was better / more efficient at paneling so they could fit more story into each chapter, i need mooooore

It's really good but I kinda would've liked it more if the focus was spread on the two protagonists a bit more instead of 'dude solves problems'.

Still like it, though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Shisunki Bitter Change:

Premise is, elementry school boy and girl swap bodies after the boy falls out of a tree onto the girl. Wait don't leave there's more.

What makes it interesting is the fact that they try to swap back, but... They can't. They end up having to (as of the start of the very first page) live as their new selves for going on 3 years, in a part of growing up which is... Difficult for a lot of people, even when that's not something you have to worry about. :v:

There's no fanservice in it, and the characters are mostly fairly interesting. If there's one complaint I have about the series itself, it's that beyond the main core characters, it doesn't really develop any side characters. Note: the translator adds a ~hilarious~ (read: creepy) fake translation page to the end of some chapters. That doesn't reflect on the series itself, though.

It's good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Actually I believe the manga has shown that Cats Are Bad as well as the value of having A Good Dog.

e: I did not expect Wonderland to turn into Fury Road.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 27, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I'd be fine with Tomo realizing that Jun is kind of an idiot and dropping his rear end and the comic turning into Teppu.

Speaking of which, Teppu's over, and I finished it.

It's good. The ending is kind of hard to quantify because it is basically perfect for the series but also not a 'good ending' per say.

But the protagonist is basically the villain in a normal manga, so hey. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Teppu wasn't supposed to end there, but the author's health was getting so bad that they decided to finish it there.

Oh, that's pretty sad. :smith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also from things I've finally read that I was suggested to read by this thread: Ratman is so good, guys.

MattTheDoctor posted:

As sad as that is, that ending was absolutely fantastic to me. Something about it has just stuck with me. One hell of a read.

It's a pretty good ending for the series, I agree. The way she basically walks away having learned absolutely nothing at all is so fitting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kortel posted:

Both, the second team had a lot of character but the official release was solid. Just wish it had an anime release and ended less abruptly.

Yeah the last 10-20 chapters were uh, weird.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
That's really good! The art's very nice and it's about the right length.

The ending was a positive note, but made me sad. :unsmith:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 19, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Just because the "unconvince" thread was gassed doesn't mean you should post them here!

I hope you all understand what you've done by mocking me for that. :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I love you, so I kill you.

Couldn't help but show this amazing stand-alone 3 page setup, it cracks me up every time.
The manga has kind of a strong premise, but it seems like the author doesn't quite know where to take it, so he's currently throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. So far, it's a fun trashy slaughterfest with high schoolers, we'll see where it goes from here.

I ended up reading this and I can't decide if it's way worse or not nearly as bad as that picture indicates. It also seems weird to call it a slaughterfest when like 4 people died, that's a poor showing for a a Saturday evening around here. :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I feel like I shouldn't be surprised that it got a show, but somehow I am.

Also I think there is an anime recommendation thread. There was at one point.

Edit: I love you so I must kill you is amazing simply for how serious it seems to take itself despite being absolutely absurd on every level.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop: that did not go in the direction I expected it to.

I don't know what direction I expected it to go in, but "There were two chicken legs, right?" made me laugh harder than I have in a long time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
IB: Instant Bullet

Various misanthropes, social outcasts, and losers get a magic power revolving around a single concept. A bit of teen angst and fighting as well as a lot of philosophizing about mortality and the nature of good and evil occur.

It's pretty short; 25 chapters. The author ended it then due to not wanting to get too ambitious and have it drag on too long for his first original work. He also made Kaguya wants to be confessed to, which I think showed up here before.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Erg posted:

ib owns and it's awesome that the author went on to have a really good series afterwards

:agreed:

I kinda expected it to be more angsty and faux-philosophical but it actually managed to make me sad even if it's technically a happy ending. Poor Yume and Toiro. :gbsmith:

The afterword was an interesting view at the author's thoughts. I wonder if they'll ever want to make more.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 20, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Instant Bullet turned out to be good? I remember the first two chapters coming out and it seeming like it had potential but also could be more generic dreck.

For what it's worth, it's probably the best manga I've found by just randomly clicking on something on batoto.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Honzuki no Gekokujou is another of those "reincarnated in another world" stories, except it's one of the few good ones that isn't about the main character being a god-king who never fails at anything.

A bookworm librarian dies under a pile of books, and wakes up as a sickly, poor, kindergarten-aged little girl. The world is pre-printing press, so she is completely without the books she loves, and being able to read and write is a luxury only for nobles and higher-ranked commoners. She still has her memories of her first life, so she has ideas on how to improve or use things, but she is a tiny, frail child, so she has to completely rely on her new family and friends to get even small things done.

This is probably the first entry in that genre worth reading (other than maybe Grimgar i guess).

Anyways, I wonder if they're going to brush over the 'apparently her body belonged to someone else' thing, or if that was just a misunderstanding on the protagonist's part...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

The impression I got was the person her body belonged to died before she took over and inherited the dead girl's memories.

Ergh, that's pretty grim for a series as cute as this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Elysiume posted:

It's grim, but less grim than effectively killing the girl and stealing her body. I also got the impression that the original little girl died.

I figured it was just something like she was recalling memories of her pervious life and had lived her entire 5 year life as this little girl, not body snatching!

Law Cheetah posted:

overlord is bad

Overlord is one of the worst things I have ever read, along with another even more fetish-y light novel that was basically the same thing without the game premise.

It was also bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What is the actual redeeming part of Overlord, all it seemed to me was a boring invincible protagonist who was surrounded by people who just loved how great he was.

Invincible heroes and villains are basically always boring. The only exceptions I can think of offhand are Dr. Manhattan (who wasn't really a hero or villain by the point of Watchmen anyways), and Saitama because One-Punch Man.

In fact, I don't even think Saitama or Dr. Manhattan is a straight comparison to the skeleton dude from Overlord because they get some actual flaws (sort-of). Dr. Manhattan is completely apathetic and has lost touch with humanity, while Saitama gets zero respect from basically anyone other than Genos and King.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 14, 2017

• Locked thread