Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

"three possible versions of Atlantis" :allears:

Also, the Doctor goes through all the trouble of procuring a TANK but then sticks a tiny amp on top of it:

He couldn't have grabbed a Marshall stack or something while he was at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ten meets Jamie and they get strapped into a machine that makes them swap accents.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After The War posted:

Would make more sense to do one on Wobin Bwand.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Creature posted:

Honestly, I'd love to see Alan Partridge as the Doctor. Produced by BBC Norwich, of course.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Enourmo posted:

yeah imagine some actor known for swearing a lot playing the doctor

wouldnt that be wacky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgA3Mttx1M

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtF3_ybJJ50

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Why why WHY do they insist on not having the opening title sequence in sync with the music half the time? :argh:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After watching The Ambassadors of Death for the first time tonight I was reading about it afterward and came across this quote from Terrance Dicks on Wikipedia:

Terrance Dicks posted:

One of the situations I inherited [as Doctor Who script editor] was Ambassadors of Death and the ongoing tangle with that. David Whitaker...had gone through four or five drafts and you come to a stage where you write so much it just gets worse. What was happening was that the need for the script was very urgent and I stormed into [producers] Peter [Bryant] and Derrick [Sherwin] and said, "Look, we've got five drafts of this. David's fed up with it, he doesn't know what to do. What we need to do is pay David in full and Mac [Hulke] and I will finish." And that's basically what we did. I made sure that David got a full script fee for all his episodes because he had been buggered about by the establishment and Mac and I took the bare bones of his story and almost did a "War Games" - wrote new scripts very quickly - and it shows. It had its moments though.

Which then led to the entry for Inferno:

Wikipedia posted:

Despite Douglas Camfield receiving sole credit as director, Episodes 3-7 were directed by producer Barry Letts[2] after Camfield had a minor heart attack on April 27, 1970. Letts later stated that Camfield's preparations were so meticulous, that he merely followed the other director's plans. Camfield remained credited as director, as BBC regulations at the time forbade any person from being credited for more than one production role, and they did not want Camfield's illness to become widely known, lest it harm his career.

What a solid group of dudes. :allears:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I don't even care if the 10/Donna rumors were true or not now, I'm WAY more excited for this.

Big Finish posted:

In addition to The War Doctor, November 2017 also sees a prequel box set to the saga, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor — The Time War, which will follow the early stages of the Time War from the Eighth Doctor’s perspective. Paul McGann stars, alongside characters first introduced in the War Doctor box sets.

:psyboom:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Having mulled over the 8th Doctor Time War announcement some more I've come to conclusion that they're only getting my money if they get Timothy Dalton back as Rassilon :colbert:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

We better get John Hurt vs Terry Molloy Derek Jacobi, is all I'm saying.

I mean the Master should show up during the Time War, and as much as I love Alex MacQueen's Master I feel like he wouldn't play off the War Doctor as well as he does 8.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Kikka posted:

The thing I enjoyed most with Jon Pertwee's Doctor is the Gummidge face he pulls when a Sea Devil is mind raying him.

(jk, pertwee is one of my faves)

More so than him shifting dimensions in Inferno?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I can't believe that after they cast Maisie Williams and the woman who plays Cass not a single person on the production team said "They should play younger and older versions of the same character" because I mean:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Spoiler for Big Finish's announcement at 10 am:

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 26, 2015

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

side_burned posted:

Edit: I don't know where else to ask this but how is non Doctor Who stuff Big Finish does? I saw that Adrian Paul has done some Highlander audios are those any good?

The only completely DW-related release of theirs I've listened to was "Treasure Island" and it was a hoot (with Tom Baker as Long John Silver, how could it be anything else?). That said, a lot of their Doctor Who spin-off series are excellent and are only barely related to DW. Jago & Litefoot in particular might just be my favorite thing BF puts out.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Hopper posted:

Next they will replace the TARDIS with a space tourbus....

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Let us know what it's like, I considered picking it up but I really figured it would be best to be more familiar with the pre-existing Jago and Litefoot stuff first. It sounds like a blast though.

Having listened to J&L from "The Mahogany Murderers" up through series 5, it's pretty hard not to be charmed by the two lead actors right from the get-go.

While you would almost certainly enjoy it more having listened to previous material, I'm sure it would still be a lot of fun regardless.

edit: Also, I strongly recommend "Benjamin and Baxter", which is a two hour long interview with those guys, both separately and as a team. Christopher Benjamin (Jago) is pretty quiet and unassuming in real life but drat Trevor Baxter (Litefoot) is one hell of a storyteller.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

This episode was worth it just to see Ashildr get the full force of Capaldi's bollocking face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oWJGaUXmKA

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The special edition of "The Five Doctors" is really silly. Even the text commentary points out how most of the added time is a Doctor and Companion looking at something for like an extra second or two.

Have you watched it with the hidden commentary track on yet? :getin:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Astroman posted:

There's a lot of things Big Finish couldn't do...yet they always seem to find a way, eventually. :allears:

Big Finish is one hell of a bird!

Still no Dodo. :colbert:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

The actor playing him is FANTASTIC in the part too.

I immediately recognized him as the voice of Blackbeard in Assassin's Creed 4 and he owns in that too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsAqMyxl8cI

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

She actually showed up to a convention she was scheduled to appear at without cancelling? Whoa.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

It WAS my favorite shot in the entire show until I got to Inferno

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After recently getting interested in learning about Shakespeare, I discovered that the Globe Theatre sells recordings of their productions at globeplayer.tv and the version of The Merry Wives of Windsor they've got stars none other than Henry Gordon Jago himself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjpq6j-KvTo

drat, if you want a good example of how Shakespeare isn't difficult to understand at all when performed by a good enough actor, that's one right there.

edit: More Shakespeare! Sylvester McCoy in King Lear as The Fool (around the 2:25 mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfDtrBPNZag

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 13, 2015

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

jivjov posted:

Anyone know offhand how much Big Finish charges for shipping to the US? War Doctor stuff might actually be worth buying in physical form...

The War Doctor set was $4.53 shipping for me

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Astroman posted:

I gotta say, I'm really not down with Big Finish's new predilection to bundle everything into "collections" or seasons that cost $20. Sometimes I might want to try a new range or something a la carte, but you can ONLY buy audios like War Doctor, Jago and Litefoot, and the new Third Doctor audios as collections. Same for the Blake's 7 Liberator Chronicles.

Granted, $20 isn't much more than the $12.99 I pay for a new DW monthly, and you're getting more than one story, but it's more than double the $8 or $9 that a lot of audios run.

I've probably spent more on BF than any other form of entertainment in the last 5 years, hundreds of dollars, I don't see why they feel the need to get more from me at one time.

While this may not apply to all of the sets you're referring to, I think part of this might be because they're acquiring the rights to do all these new series, and with that comes actors with higher fees (no offense to Colin Baker, but I'd be willing to bet his fee is less than David Tennant's or John Hurt's, which is also probably why the War Doctor and 10th Doctor sets are 3 hours instead of the usual 4)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Rochallor posted:

I honestly have no idea how you can be looking forward this much to Nicholas Briggs + Time War. I mean, John Hurt's great and all, but there's only so much he can do to overcome that.

Robophobia owns :colbert:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CommonShore posted:

What second doctor reconstructions are worth watching? Last night I wasn't much in the mood to watch reconstructed stories in my "whole series*" run through, so I skipped anything marked "Recon", but then BOOM, I'm at The War Games (which is fun), and then to #3. I was shocked how few second doctor stories are complete. Is it only War Games and Tomb of the Cybermen?

As far as reconstructions go, Power of the Daleks , Evil of the Daleks, and Fury From the Deep are probably the best. The Highlanders is worth it solely because it introduces Jamie but it'll also make you really mad because it contains lots of physical comedy gags that we'll never get to see.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

aw gently caress yes i love me some classic who

oh

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

I fully maintain that nobody in here has lived until they've watched Timelash with Colin Baker and Paul Darrow giving it both barrels over images and sound of Colin Baker and Paul Darrow giving it both barrels. It's amazing.

I ordered the dvd solely because of this post (and "Arc of Infinity" because I want to hear Peter and Colin together)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

e: I also forgot how pretty Grace was

I can't believe it took me until watching with the commentary on last night that her brother is the guy who plays Bobby Briggs in "Twin Peaks"

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

harlan ellison does indeed own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Agreed.

Unrelated:

The internet is a strange, strange place.

is it just me or does Shia-as-4th look like Norm McDonald?

• Locked thread