Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baal posted:

Please don't call my opinion wrong because you disagree. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I did that to you.

you're wrong though. like i think you're reading the wrong manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kuja island isn't the best but its peak luffy and then marineford is marineford. did you watch the anime of it or something?

admittedly it all does lack the rest of the crew

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baal posted:

I'm not gonna answer you because you're just gonna keep being a condescending douche. If you actually want me to answer your questions then talk to me like a person.

i mean, i can sort of see the whole kuja island/impel down/marineford wearing thin a bit because its one continuous arc but they're all great imo if you like reading luffy be luffy and i don't know how you could consider any of them the worst and really enjoy the manga since they're all about how mental the main character is and why its fun

its why the punch on sabaody is so good. we've accepted how insane the characters are and then we're introduced to some other characters who have just heard about it and are waiting in excitement to see the mental thing they do

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

marineford contained well designed characters, emotional high (low) points that felt genuine and earned, a worldspanning conflict which felt like some sort of payoff, hints towards the final end of the story. in this sense it is one of if not the best arc in the series, tied probably with water 7->enies lobby which contaiend similar emotional highs/cool fights, but more internal motivations than external

my favourite bit of this on a reread is luffy telling whitebeard he's going to rescue ace and the reactions of everyone else

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its a bit ludicrous that all these characters have d in the name and we still don't know what it is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

lmao at Usopp's bounty.

i was kind of hoping it would go above zoro's.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

I really hope we see more of the fight. I can't imagine anyone being able to take down all three and escape unscathed.

they're in the ocean and fujitora has one of the more broken devil fruits for fighting at sea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sub Harrison posted:

I wonder how you lock up someone with conquerer's haki? I feel bad for the level 6 employees.

nobody there would be affected by it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its going to be used for a joke rather than a plot point

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its no surprise that there are so many pirates in a world full of deadbeat parents

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anime was right posted:

the source is oda was talking about dragon, also, this is what he's said about luffys mom

so dadan

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

akainu has one of the more ridiculous devil fruits and i'd like to see him get a proper fight before sabo beats him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Don't bet on it

Shiki is a movie exclusive villain that had a throwaway line in one panel outside of chapter 0 to help promote the 10 (?) year anniversary film. He had his time in the sun, got chumped at the end, he's out of the picture for good.

while i don't think its him, bringing him back gives more of a reason for a proper flash back chapter showing garp and sengoku fighting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I thought Sanji only gained his appreciation for food AFTER his shipwreck and experience with Jeff. Then again it's been literally over a decade since I last read those bits so I fully admit I could be wrong.

he was a chef before the shipwreck and the stuff after that was about not wasting any food

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

He was like 6 or something while he was actively starving on that deserted island with Zeff. He absolutely was not a cook at that point. Also, yeah, he didn't give a poo poo about food other than "that thing you eat to not die" until that experience.

Chef was the wrong word but he was working in a kitchen and probably about the same age as ace/sabo in the flash back

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

magi is really obviously interfered with by editors

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

That didn't really make any sense when it happened with Ace. Why did it just start burning when he was in Impell Down? Like, how does it differentiate between the guy being in a prison and chilling out at the bottom of the Moby Dick? Get the poo poo kicked out of him in an island wide fight with Blackbeard, that makes sense to cause your vivre card to react.

Do vivre cards magically repair themselves? Like if Ace hadn't given in to the weakest, most obvious, taunting since Marty McFly was called a chicken, would Luffy's bit of the card have unburned itself?

did you forget that everyone in impel down gets tortured all the time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kidd/law waiting to see what completely mental thing the straw hats would do and the realisation that of course they'd have a reputation for it is one of my favourite bits of the manga

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I wonder what kind of fruit Kaidou has. It's gotta be a Mythical Zoan fruit of some kind, something that would cause guys like Marco the Phoenix to poo poo a brick

he's not going to have one and just be insanely strong so nobody can kill him, including gravity

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i mean if he really wanted to kill himself he could surely drown himself devil fruit or no so who knows.

it would be cool if that title was because all his crew had zoan fruits though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baal posted:

I hope whenever it gets around to Mihawk's fight that he's just really loving strong and that's it

this is absolutely the case like almost all swordsmen we've seen in the series

kaidou could be half giant or something hence the strongest creature

edit: bit late on that mihawk bit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Did Ryuma not have a devil fruit? It's been a while since I've read Thriller Bark but I thought some swordsmen here and there did have fruit powers. I mean I wanna say Daz Bones, but that dude is an actual sword man so I don't think he counts.

he was brooks shadow put into the corpse of a famous swordsman

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

You see the shape of his mouth in the latest chapter? Guy totally has some Oars family blood in him.

other than avalo pizarro does anyone else introduced have horns? his are a bit of a different style though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it'll be really bad if we don't get to see garp or rayleigh fight properly at some point

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

enies lobby's power levels was really bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

string and gravity powers are really popular in manga for some reason

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

quakster posted:

Probably Sabo's role, honestly.

it became extremely likely once he ate ace's devil fruit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

seeing the gorosei fight. they're old men and run the world government

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

EDIT: No chapter this week? Must be a break week, bizarre Japanese holiday or something else

the chapter usually doesn't come out this early so should still be released afaik

are there any good OP games that aren't pirate warriors because i'm not really sold on those types of games

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're gonna get boiled alive by Akainu, there are too many important established fightmans to get through to bother with these jerks who may not even be fightmen

1 has a scar on his chest, 1 on his face and 1 carries a sword. they definitely fight people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

dressrosa being alabasta is a mistake because the samurai are the people who are involved in multiple arcs. dressrosa is a really long little garden/drum island

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp took a lot of flak for posting his criticism over the years yes. shows just how long its been since the pace slowed a lot

all the villains on fishman island being chumped is a bit poo poo because it made a mess of the arc. not really sure how it could have been avoided though since it wasn't even in the new world other than avoiding any conflict at all there which might have been preferable

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 2, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what about snake neck people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the chapter usually come 3 weeks in a row then a week off and have since his daughter was born

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

skypiea owns because its a proper adventure arc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Whys foxy's freeze beam more over powered than any of the many people who can just blast you with earthquakes, fire, lava, lasers, electricity, the idea of dryness, wizard gun etc., killing you.

boa hancock's fruit is a similarly broken skill but not quite as bad. there is a reason you'll never see either interact with someone extremely powerful

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah I know what you mean. One piece certainly is less generically 'anime' looking than other series. I remember knowing people who were turned off by the art style... Which is kind of bonkers, since on a technical level it's probably one of the best weekly manga out there. (The anime on the other hand..... Well... That's why there is a manga thread and an anime thread I suppose)

the art has improved drastically compared to how it was when it started, though i think a lot of that is down to him having assistants to fill out backgrounds

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anime was right posted:

yeah i really wish doffy had a swordsman or something that zoro could fight, and maybe even a cool power to go along with it. haha, that would have been loving cool... oh well

this was dressrosa's biggest failing by far.

it would be cool if the crew encounter enemies where the leader was a swordsman so that Zoro got the lead fight in an arc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Zoro was willing to stand by and let Luffy fight Isshou at the end of Dressrosa even though he uses a sword in conjunction with his gravity powers. Even if there were a main enemy with a sword, Luffy would still fight him because Luffy always fights the big guy. It's his actual job on the crew as it's captain, as he stated in Arlong Park: to beat the guys no-one else can. Even if you think Zoro could take them, Luffy still would regardless.

you missed the swordsman i and that poster were talking about

isshou was never an enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i saw 50 new posts and thought there had been an incredible new chapter and now its not out and probably on break for a week