Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That final scene with Katakuri is so wonderful. This entire arc is a phenomenal handling of multiple characters.

I'm almost having a hard time remembering if all of One Piece is as good as this saga or if it's just always been exceptionally great. What's a good way to recommend something that's almost 900 chapters long to people?

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't think it'll be an illusion, given that just narratively to splash these scenes and have it just be a 'just kidding' would be super, super weak. If it weren't an arc that had so much investment or simply came earlier, I could see it. If it happened now, ehhhhhh.

Team Strawhats are down, but something will make em' win. We *literally* just finished a super long fight where they drove home the point that the heroes get to win because they're more determined.

It's probably a good sign that folks are already reacting with a "this must be a fake reality" in that Oda's managed to show there are real stakes here and the notion of them losing everything is harder to swallow than the "pudding's manipulating everything" thought.

Tho who knows, I could be wrong.

Also the chapter was rad and this is probably my favorite arc of this whole dang comic. Here's hoping they don't jump to another plot in the next issue and we get to see this resolve before 2018 is over.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pudding :cry:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Arist posted:

Yeah, that seems like an appropriate sendoff for Pudding.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but it seems like she'll probably come back at some point to be part of Sanji's happy ending. She was written too much as a great match for him, after all.

Count me among those that thought they'd get cornered and persevere beating Big Ma- as that's what good guys do in these things. Real real curious how this gets resolved or how her and her crew will come back into the story. Will be a bummer if she just gets offed by Black Beard or something similar.

The Ethos in Brules scene is masterful.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 21, 2018

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Viridiant posted:

considering Oda's previous attitudes on the subject.

I'd never thought about it before, but there aren't many like, couples in this world eh? I'm having a hard time off hand coming up with a romanic couple.

It's impressive that he's written so much without relying on that hook.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm finally going to bite the bullet and try to buy print copies of One Piece. Dang thing has been so good for so long that I don't mind forkin over $ to be able to pull miscellaneous issues off the ol' shelf.

Are the box sets off Amazon probably the best way to go about that? Wondering if there's any discounted other collections floating about online otherwise.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just did a read through of the series up to Thriller, and boy howdy it's better than I remembered. So many small, small moments between the arcs like running into Wapol before Drum, or Sanji fighting Mr.2. Or the whole Jaya island up to Skypiea. Heck, I recall hating Skypiea, but even that's not too bad on a re-read.

One fun thing to me is that it really sticks out how well the fights are laid out to relative strengths. Like, the crew doesn't really get the poo poo kicked out of them until Arlong, and afterwards there's usually something holding them back. Basically, there's very little super sayian transformations going on, but rather the environment/situation dictates why the Straw hats might be struggling.

It always bothered me a lot in Bleach that the fights seemed to always go:

- hero vs. villain
- hero has upperhand
- villain transforms into their real form!
- hero is at the end of their rope!
- ah but hero has a secret new technique!
- hero wins, smiles, passes out

...and in this series that does happen, but the 'transform' or 'technique' bit is usually insight or a situational thing– like Luffy beating lightening man with that giant ball of gold attached to his arm. It's usually not just pulled out of their rear end, basically.

tl;dr: I'm just saying I appreciate the extra thought put into the fights, and how it feels significantly more natural. Even if OP does on occasion follow that pattern pretty closely.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

luffy thinks a lot of things are cool tho.

I feel like it was their Devil Fruit ability because Luffy absolutely loves impressions, but then it turned into their sincerity and noble heart.

Yepp. He accidentally ended up on their boat before knowing they were enemies and entertained them, making em' quick friends.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

thread it's with a heavy heart that my brain has entertained the idea of buying the physical volumes and I need to be put down before this idea congeals

I pulled the trigger on getting these, and really enjoyed doing a read through for the first time in six or so years. It's nice!

If you do get it, probably worth considering if you'd lend out volumes to folks. I have a few people reading the ones I have, and it's a definitely easier to share physical copies vs. other means.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

One thing that's nice about OP is that at least the power structure was defined early-ish (or maybe it's just been too many years since it was first) and hasn't changed that much. So while we're just now getting the details of the Yonko's, we were aware of their presence and weight for quite awhile– making learning the details of them super fun.

Basically, he's good at world building. And the folks he introduces don't generally interrupt that structure as much as fill-in-the-blanks, which makes it easier to go "ah, new character but they fit here".

Dressrosa introduced a lot of folks, but none of em' broke the structure, but rather just filled it out. "Ah, yeah here's all these other powerful people from other lands."

It was also a clever way to really build up to Luffy entirely incidentally getting an armada. He might not be Whitebeard level yet, but it's clear the wheels are in motion for him to punch at that weight now.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I miss cover arcs

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Enough similarities that brother seems likely? Nose, eyebrows, eye location, hair, big ol' smile, etc.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Star Platinum posted:

Psycho Killer

Oda does it again

I missed this at first but you're absolutely correct. God dammit that's a great reference.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think I posted about this before, but the general appropriate use of 'power levels' really floors me about this series. In that they don't really start individually kicking butt for a good handful of volumes - in most of the initial scenarios, it's 'luck' that keeps them alive and winning.

With Big Mom and this Kaido business, Oda's been doing a great job showing that our heroes actually do need a whole country army to be winning these battles. No one fights and beats Big Ma in the Cake Arc, they just individually do kickass things that sums up to them escaping alive.

Seems to be the case with this arc too, and I'm just really delighted by that. Too often writers shortcut the big bad fights big hero and loses because hero is just too strong, every time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This trend of Kaido's henchmen getting chumped is just wonderful. First Jack thwacked by a giant elephant, now Queen pancaked by a Big Ma... who's gonna splat King?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Are we on a break week or is the chapter late I'm jonesin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So what positions are there still to fill on the crew?

Supoose ya got your cabin boys? ...Janitor?