Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

bird cage, in the long-term, exists to justify gear 4 being used in the arc so it can be established right before luffy starts targeting yonkou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mabels big day posted:

I loved fishman island idk what you guys are talking about

It's reverse mountain with more foreshadowing (due to what was about to happen), so people attributed a shitload more meaning to the location than was ever intended for it and got upset when it turned out to just be the gateway to bigger poo poo that it was always meant to be.

Arc had a couple of issues but was largely fun.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

Scott Aukerman of comedy bang bang possible OP fan? Subtle shoutout to "Big News" Morgan is most recent ep! Scott calls out for all to hear: "This is Big News".

Thanks for the Big News, Big News Keven

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I still can't help but laugh at how lovely their luck was.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Something good came out of the OP thread in an off week??

:bignews:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Nah, pica wasn't a puzzle it was straight up padding so he didn't clown yet another dude super hard a year before Luffy had to bust out G4 to even touch Doflamingo.

This is not what happened

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gear 4 was used because Bird Cage was going to start killing people within 30 minutes. That's it. Luffy essentially just went the overkill route instead of getting sucked into another Lucci-style fight where he and Doffy just beat the loving piss out of each other until one of them drops.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pudding foaming at the loving mouth after Sanji greets her :lol:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pudding is a good, evil wife.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jinbei loving owns

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

tsob posted:

Multi wave drifting?

multi-sea drifting

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He's honestly a great change of pace after a character like Doflamingo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

For some reason I ended up associating Katakuri's lines in that reveal page with the voice of the Turtlez from Tales of Berseria when I got to it.

It was beautiful.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Night Guy owned (especially in UNS4) and if Kaguya was a thing that was going to happen then Madara getting wrecked by it should have been the impetus for her appearance. It being a big fat nothing instead was just such a disappointment.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If you didn't lol at where Luffy ended up then you got problems.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i feel like this is here to distract from your dumbass little meltdown more than anything

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm fine with Luffy struggling to take down Katakuri. The guy's one of the strongest pirates in the world, and this shows that Luffy's strong, but he's not quite there yet.

Yeah, this is basically what I settled on - though I like what someone mentioned earlier about this being more about closing the gap between Katakuri and Big Mom than widening the gap between Big Mom and Luffy. Katakuri is the definition of a beast and who the gently caress knows where he'd be if he was out pirating as captain of his own crew. It's also probably just one of the absolute worst matchup's Luffy's pulled the entire series in terms of abilities.

But hey, I'm also finding it really cool how Gear 4 went from overkill vs. Doflamingo to a necessity versus the critical members of a Yonkou's crew. I feel like it's a good evolution of the Strawhats essentially stomping everything for a good chunk of the timeskip that also plays well into the overall picture of the Yonkou essentially being checks on one another. These are pirates you want to avoid confrontation with even when you're on their level, and I like that a lot.

Still admittedly not a fan of the cooldown on G4 because, as JahRoo noted, it's way too specific, but I'm hoping this time is an improvement since Luffy can still be proactive while waiting it out.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's just such an overly specific time that it feels unnatural. I feel it'd work better if it was more a general timer on G4 itself, with Luffy gradually recovering his Haki and associated move arsenal in the meantime instead of just coming back at once in exactly 10 minutes.

I mean it does help that he's at least independently mobile this time, but I can at least understand initial reactions this time given that he had to be carried around like a corpse for several chapters the last time the cooldown was relevant.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I mean the last time the cooldown was in place it was literally 10 minutes, to the point where a character did a countdown for it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Big Mom arc ends, scene change to a lost Zoro arriving at Reverie

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I love Pudding so much.

A good drat chapter.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fuckin' RIP that dude that got bit

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Holy poo poo that last page.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I hope that even after they part ways Pudding just continues to pass out every time Sanji does something cool no matter how far away he is. Like the generic sneezing gag, but good.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jinbe loving owns.

Of course, some of us don't need that spoiled :smugdog:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

bobjr posted:

Plus having one of the strongest fishmen fighters on a sea battle helps tremendously in any fight. It's only due to the weather homies that Big Mom isn't done in from that in the first place.

Yeah, it should be noted that this is also about as ideal as conditions can reasonably get for Jinbe. She's completely drenched from him soaking the Sunny, and his Fishman Karate utilizes all the water in the immediate vicinity as an amplifier for the impact - whether it be the water inside a person, water in the atmosphere, or water that's just straight-up soaking a person. He was able to land a good loving hit, one that probably takes down almost anyone else. Jinbe owns, but Big Mom remains a complete monster.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 29, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cheapsteaks posted:

That, or Tooth Dogg ends up eating the cake due to hunger from missing his lunch, but does not have the same comedy powers that Luffy has to slim down instantly.

The cake is not a donut.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm enjoying the Katakuri fight and the panel with Luffy instantly meeting that giant fist with an elephant gun owned.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Monet was not an admiral and it is wholly believable that they have much better control over their powers to make a killing blow something you have to work your rear end off to land. That Zoro can effortlessly manage it with Monet is mostly a matter of Zoro being a complete monster and Monet being entirely out of her depth.

Anyway half the point of Marineford is that Haki makes fighting Logia possible - it's not an "I Win" button. Akainu was annoyed because poo poo still hurts even if the hits can be recovered from.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Can't be, hasn't broken into song yet.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Luffy's next ability should be his own spin on the Joestar family secret technique.

Gear...REVERSE

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

I dunno what everyone's big problem with this chapter is.

People are super bitchy because of all the off weeks around New Years so nothing short of the arc ending immediately is fast enough progression.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Mochi rocket punch owned and tbh that's all the justification I need to not give a single solitary poo poo about ~fruit rules~.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He did merc those dudes that saw his utterly sinful behavior.

This chapter owned though. That first Diced Mochi attack and the immediate aftermath panel of him were so loving good.

I hope Katakuri is in Pirate Warriors 4 whenever we get it. He'll be fun as gently caress.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"Robin got robbed of a fight" is still the dumbest loving Dressarosa take.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If you wanna be bitchy at someone for stealing that fight then be bitchy at Usopp for enabling Kyros to take care of he own drat business.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

why be mad at usopp when I can be mad at oda for writing the situation that way to begin with

I mean the "problem" with the situation has always boiled down to "Oda didn't write what I wanted him to write!" so sure, go hog wild.

Dressrosa has issues, and if folks were bored by Kyros and Rebecca then :shrug:, but Kyros taking care of the antagonist that exists solely for his section of the story ain't one of them. Certainly doesn''t warrant folks flatout making poo poo up about how it goes just to justify being mad about it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Andrast posted:

You can boil literally any criticism of any writing down to that sentiment so do you just have a problem with criticism in general then?

I enjoy that you just kinda chopped off the part where I said the arc has issues, answering this question before you even asked it.

But anyway, this is a dumb thing to say when the criticism being talked about it is expressly "I wanted something else entirely." If the Kyros/Diamante fight just didn't do anything for you then I don't really give a poo poo and think that's fair; I personally think Oda could have done more with it. But "I wanted someone else to get the fight" isn't a criticism, and lingering on it is just whining that the author didn't do what you wanted.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Begemot posted:

You can boil literally any criticism down to "he didn't write what I wanted" if you ignore any and all context around it. Diamante was not introduced as an antagonist that exists for Kyros and nobody else. He was part of the Doflamingo family and ran the arena. The specific connection to Kyros and Rebecca wasn't made until later.

Really, the problem is that Diamante is the most interesting character in the Rebecca and Kyros side plot, so everyone wishes he had been able to escape its gravity. But he didn't get a cool devil fruit fight with Robin or literally anyone else, instead he got a boring fight with boring sword man Kyros.

"Oda hosed up the fight and made it boring" is a good criticism. It's an extremely vanilla fight and largely not up to par with what I expect from him. I also think he absolutely could have made it...not that.

"Oda didn't write the matchup I wanted for no other reason than that I wanted the character in literally any fight" is not an actual criticism, but at the same time does not prevent "Robin has not had a fight in ages and that's hosed up" from being good criticism. I said before that Dressrosa has issues, and part of that is that it's really ridiculously packed with characters due to the Armada setup and I don't think Oda handled it well - which ended up negatively affecting a character like Robin who had what would be her more probable matchups go to the future fleet members instead to establish them some more so she kinda ended up getting shoehorned into the Diamante fight as Oda just honestly didn't really know what else to do with her.

Eiba posted:

She didn't need a fight, and she didn't need that fight, but she did need something cool to do and all she got was keeping professional gladiatorial fighter Rebeca who specializes in dodging out of the way while Kyros was boring and manly.

This is actually basically where I'm at on the matter. I can absolutely understand being frustrated with Robin's lack of real involvement for going on...quite a drat while now, but that Diamante fight wasn't "stolen" from her and folks straight up making poo poo up about it (Kyros not letting Robin and Rebecca fight ~because they're women~) is duuuumb as all gently caress.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That's Capone's hat. Luffy still has his straw hat, you see it on page 6 if you're reading on JB.

I really loved this chapter :unsmith: